2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,260 posts
  • 503 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mnluz
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 392 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CDC61D8B-FD6A-4D64-A69E-01294E9E947B (resized).png
ED493CEB-E58E-4946-97C9-FCCE99E36547 (resized).jpeg
F119E176-AD5E-4740-8FF9-BD0F26A2515A (resized).jpeg
61CCCECE-2607-4D17-96C7-E30F907A1F0D (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3864 (resized).jpg
Jam (resized).png
2A4B0C7A-AF2B-44C4-A323-A95C678D5DC6 (resized).jpeg
50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

There are 4260 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 86.
#3451 2 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

TNA has ZERO call outs!!! And costs more! Grab your pitchforks! I'm going streaking in the quad! Who's with me!!!

Don't even get me started on that dumpster fire.

#3452 2 years ago

Damn...still going streaking!!

#3453 2 years ago

I agree with wasp (thanks for the stream btw). The main problem I had with the callouts were the editing. I honestly couldn't tell the difference on the stream with some of the clips. I would've preferred original actors as well, but obviously there is a problem at a licensing level. I know the general feeling is "stern cheaped out", but then jjp must've cheaped out too with PotC.

My guess is licensing Disney products is a lot more complicated and expensive than most people on here know.

#3454 2 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

TNA has ZERO call outs!!! And costs more! Grab your pitchforks! I'm going streaking in the quad! Who's with me!!!

Yes it does, have even played the game?

#3455 2 years ago

Sadly enough I've played it for hours :// Never noticed them lol
The music is all I hear.

#3456 2 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Don't even get me started on that dumpster fire.

Please get started so we can all be educated. Most of us will never have the opportunity to own as many perfect 10 games as you have so we would all appreciate your help.

#3457 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Please get started so we can all be educated. Most of us will never have the opportunity to own as many perfect 10 games as you have so we would all appreciate your help.

I've played TNA! Thanks to you! Good lord what a great game.

#3458 2 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Damn...still going streaking!!

Was it cold out there or something?

#3459 2 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

I've played TNA! Thanks to you! Good lord what a great game.

Your welcome to swing by and play it anytime.

#3460 2 years ago

The voice actors in WOZ seem pretty much spot on. Early on I didn't even realize that JJP had hired voice actors for WOZ...it wasn't until I heard the wizard "Extra Balllll" that I did, lol.

WOZ doesn't have many modes that are based on specific scenes from the film. Some very creative editing and animation work from the JJP team do a great job of representing the theme instead of video clips.

GOTG though has modes that are all based on specific scenes with video clips. Seeing the actors in the clips and then not hearing their voices but rather someone else comes across as very awkward.

#3461 2 years ago

WOZ is Spot on... Plus I think the age of the movie helps and not attempting to recreate so much of what we heard in the actual movie. Where GOTG is actual movie scenes that are being re created from a movie that is relatively new.

WOZ did a fantastic Job.. No one can say different.. JJP

#3462 2 years ago

So let's hope and urge Stern to get more creative than just running movie clips. A double win. Less need for voice overs. More creative animations/modes. Love my WOZ. Point is... it can be done. Will it be? We shall see...

#3463 2 years ago

Protector your investment! This new plastic protector prevents air balls from breaking the plastic right above the drop target on your Guardians of the Galaxy pinball machine. The pinball machine was designed with the original factory plastic unsupported on one side. Fast shots to the orb can result in air balls from the drop target that smack up and into the plastic, bending and breaking it. This new protector is supported on both sides and prevents that flexing and acts as a shield for your original plastic. Buy one today before your orb plastic breaks!

These will be available at Cointakers and Pinball Life very soon.

ORB_PLASTIC (resized).jpg

#3464 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

They're perfect 10s to me! Isn't that all that matters?

#3465 2 years ago

I love how people are so overdramatic and love bashing. Wouldn't be pinside without it I guess. So what if the callouts arent the original actors. Im sure it would have been a lot more $$$ to have them. So they did the next best thing, had actors read the script. That makes it super easy to add in for people who care with pinball browser. TWD stock callouts sucked hard, but with the Cleland callouts, it made it pretty great. People ripping on it for not coming from the factory with the voice actors need to go circlejerk in a new thread. How petty. Its something that can be fixed easy.

#3466 2 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

This guy...

#3467 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

I love how people are so overdramatic and love bashing. Wouldn't be pinside without it I guess. So what if the callouts arent the original actors. Im sure it would have been a lot more $$$ to have them. So they did the next best thing, had actors read the script. That makes it super easy to add in for people who care with pinball browser. TWD stock callouts sucked hard, but with the Cleland callouts, it made it pretty great. People ripping on it for not coming from the factory with the voice actors need to go circlejerk in a new thread. How petty. Its something that can be fixed easy.

I think the latest round of critics is actually complimenting the voice actors and saying it's not nearly as bad as the initial negative reaction upon code release yesterday.

#3468 2 years ago

It's not just that the callouts aren't by original actors. In many cases, that can't be helped. It's that those callouts are totally disjointed, annoying, overly used, overly repeated, and practically nonsensical in the flow of the game. It is just a bunch of constant noise right now.

#3469 2 years ago

If it can be fixed then there is nothing to worry about. How long did it take for Cleland call outs to be available for TWD? In my opinion that fix was a Huge much needed improvement to that game. I would go as far as saying because of that sound file I purchased the game for my home. Before that it was a route only pin to me. Game plays awesome but I could not deal with that horrible voice acting.

Although I'm a big Walking Dead fan of the show so not having the original cast was really off putting from the start. Perhaps with GOTG it is the same thing. A lot of people bought this title because they are a huge fans of the characters themselves. Now that they see that there beloved characters are no longer recognizable they are obviously upset.

Really hoping the new code gets better. This would be a huge upset.

Hey STERN... YOU CAN DO IT!

#3470 2 years ago

But why put these out there like this? Look at the reaction it drew. Within 5 minutes I knew Pinside would be angry about it.

#3471 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

Just lipstick on a pig. Even with real voice actors all you have are non interactive movie clips playing in the background. This isn’t the same weak VO problem that games like XMen or TWD have.

Without voice actors Stern should just embrace the music pin code structure and play songs from the films instead of movie clip audio. Stern would probably get away with using sound alikes if they were being used for actual callouts.

#3472 2 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Don't bring that game up ur gonna get crucified, for some reason its like the second coming on this site. JJP no call outs except for some guy I've never heard of and its cool, TNA an EM layout with Polish disco soundtrack for more than a Stern pro and yet thats ok but SW is barren. ur only allowed to shit on Stern, come on.

#3473 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

NIB Stern games are now $5500-$8500 and at those prices customers should not have to add callouts. That's absolutely ridiculous.

For $5500-$8500 a pinball machine made in 2017 based on a film, set of films, or a TV series should have actor callouts. If not then the company can at least come up with a creative work around, like JJP did for Pirates.

Stern could have hired one of the actors to do custom callouts similar to how JJP hired Kevin McNally for Pirates callouts. Both POTC and GOTG are Disney owned themes. Did Stern not go down this path due to the extra cost? It wouldn't surprise me if that's the reason.

#3474 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

it has quite a few call outs...

It would be awesome as an Easter egg, Scott puts the Abobbalee Bobo quote in TNA during a mode on the next new code update

IMG_5249 (resized).JPG

#3475 2 years ago

So, add this game to the long list of other games where we still wait hoping the code gets finished and polished.

How many in the list?

KISS - final update coming.
AS - one or more updates.
GB - final update coming.
SW - more updates.
BM66 - more updates.
GOT - ?
AC/DC - rumors of a bit more polish.
TWD - same as AC/DC.
GOTG - more updates.

I need to see evidence that Stern will finish past games with care and professionalism to have any confidence in this titles and future titles.

#3476 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

So they did the next best thing, had actors read the script.

One dude is doing all the voices (and probably his girlfriend doing the two women's voices), and he's not an actor.

#3477 2 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

It would be awesome as an Easter egg, Scott puts the Abobbalee Bobo quote in TNA during a mode on the next new code update

Kind of want my profile pic to be this.

edit: now it's going to be.

#3478 2 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Kind of want my profile pic to be this.
edit: now it's going to be.

Don't you dare Prison Mike!!!

#3479 2 years ago

IT'S TOO LATE. PRISON MIKE WILL COME BACK I PROM--ABOBBILY BO BO

#3480 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

One dude is doing all the voices (and probably his girlfriend doing the two women's voices), and he's not an actor.

It’s Jody and his girlfriend Jody.

#3481 2 years ago

Wasp I hope ur happy with urself, now we have an entire site of old dorks saying Bobbly boo. take it back please.

#3482 2 years ago

Hate to switch games right now but who else has noticed the new woman's voice in American Pinballs Houdini? I do not think the woman's voice is good at all. The guys voice is awesome but hers seems very out of place. Again seems like a good game. I'm down for buying one but anyone else notice this in the latest code update stream from American Pinball?

#3483 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Wasp I hope ur happy with urself, now we have an entire site of old dorks saying Bobbly boo. take it back please.

ABOBBILY BO BO, ABOBBILY BO.

#3484 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

NIB Stern games are now $5500-$8500 and at those prices customers should not have to add callouts. That's absolutely ridiculous.
For $5500-$8500 a pinball machine made in 2017 based on a film, set of films, or a TV series should have actor callouts. If not then the company can at least come up with a creative work around, like JJP did for Pirates.
Stern could have hired one of the actors to do custom callouts similar to how JJP hired Kevin McNally for Pirates callouts. Both POTC and GOTG are Disney owned themes. Did Stern not go down this path due to the extra cost? It wouldn't surprise me if that's the reason.

You sound ridiculous. The base version of the JJP is $8500. The base version of the Stern is $5500. Ill save the $3k and use pinball browser to add in the callouts instead of paying 3k more.

Yeah, its all disjoined and beta code. Thats the way Stern is these days. Bitch as much as you like, but its probably not going to change. TWD took years to get as good as it is now. Give it some time.

#3485 2 years ago

#3486 2 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Hate to switch games right now but

Yeah, you really hate to do that, but you just have to somehow?

#3487 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

Thats the way Stern is these days.

That's the way STERN has been for well over the last 5 years now.

#3488 2 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

should be the callout when you press the flipper button during attract mode!

LOL

#3489 2 years ago
Quoted from sven:

Yeah, you really hate to do that, but you just have to somehow?

No sir look back I have showed that I'm not a fan of what stern is doing thus far with this title. get it straight. I want them to put everyone they have over there at stern on this game programming. I don't care who I want everyone even Betty in accounting. EVERYONE!!!

#3490 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

C'mon, Rare. Is it the theme? Is it the code? Is it the voice overs?

Anything to salvage this game? Everyone loves praise, but most (listening Stern?) can learn more from critical evaluation.

#3491 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

You sound ridiculous. The base version of the JJP is $8500. The base version of the Stern is $5500. Ill save the $3k and use pinball browser to add in the callouts instead of paying 3k more.
Yeah, its all disjoined and beta code. Thats the way Stern is these days. Bitch as much as you like, but its probably not going to change. TWD took years to get as good as it is now. Give it some time.

Yes it's ridiculous to expect a 5400 game to have the sound rights to the movie theme it is based on . I can go to any toy store and find a star lord doll (erhm, I mean action figure) that has quotes from the movies installed in it. If they are going to keep raising prices then they had better use some of that money to make complete games. There are lots of options these days and more and more people are not going to settle for a game just because it's new. I'm a big stern fan and I think this will still be a good game that is fun to play but it's currently not good enough for me to buy. It's not getting my money at the moment and lots of others feel the same way.

#3492 2 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

No sir look back I have showed that I'm not a fan of what stern is doing thus far with this title. get it straight. I want them to put everyone they have over there at stern on this game programming. I don't care who I want everyone even Betty in accounting. EVERYONE!!!

I have heard that Betty is a pretty wicked programmer.

#3493 2 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

even Betty in accounting

pretty sure Betty is in charge of the boobaboooyeeee callouts we current have...

#3494 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

pretty sure Betty is in charge of the boobaboooyeeee callouts we current have...

Sitting here laughing out loud! Wife thinks I'm nuts!

#3495 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

But she can make a wicked pot of coffee and cook the books like nobody's business.

#3496 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

dont tell waspinat0r this, he will track her down and make her his 2nd wife.

#3497 2 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

C'mon, Rare. Is it the theme? Is it the code? Is it the voice overs?
Anything to salvage this game? Everyone loves praise, but most (listening Stern?) can learn more from critical evaluation.

The theme is great - but what is it about the theme that is great? The chraracters, the personality, the humor, and comedic timing. All of that has been stripped from the game by the horrible re-dub & the "non-interactive soundbed" concept. Unfortunately since they borrowed the code from two music games, they're using "movie scene running" as a mode instead of "song running". It doesn't work. The reason previous mode/story games work is the Pavlovian effect - hit a shot, get a satisfying sound effect/voice/light show choreography that makes you feel like an interactive part of the license. This game doesn't seem to do that. Modes are just "fake movie running" & hit the lit shots. There's no connective tissue.

My constructive criticism would be just to go back to doing what they did best....and don't agree to a license if they won't supply the important assets essential to the license.

#3498 2 years ago

I think everyone can agree that pinball is a lot different now than it was in nineteen ninety eight when the undertaker threw mankind off hеll in a cell, and plummeted sixteen feet through an announcer's table.

#3499 2 years ago

I was really looking forward to the game, but right now it's a hot mess.
I think people are missing the point you don't need a ton assets from a studio to make an awesome game. It comes down to the team that's working on. Take games like Addams family or Indy with Dots drawn. They were limited on what they displayed. Also how many sound clips are being played at once. That limited the experience to simple and clean. The programmers had to pick and choose what to display.

But because there are no limitations on sound and video. It looks like there just cramming everything into the machine without thinking how it could be integrated properly. Stern has a great base for the game. Art+ and layout+ They need to figure out how to display and do the callouts properly. There is no "SUPER JACKPOT" moment or build up that makes it memorable and if there is covered by background clip noise + Sound clips that are 5 seconds long+ Floating Slideshow with points+ Something is Lit.. all that stuff playing all at once.

Stern needs to hire User Experience Designer and not more programmers Or the number of assets isn't going to save this pin.

#3500 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The theme is great - but what is it about the theme that is great? The chraracters, the personality, the humor, and comedic timing. All of that has been stripped from the game by the horrible re-dub & the "non-interactive soundbed" concept. Unfortunately since they borrowed the code from two music games, they're using "movie scene running" as a mode instead of "song running". It doesn't work. The reason previous mode/story games work is the Pavlovian effect - hit a shot, get a satisfying sound effect/voice/light show choreography that makes you feel like an interactive part of the license. This game doesn't seem to do that. Modes are just "fake movie running" & hit the lit shots. There's no connective tissue.
My constructive criticism would be just to go back to doing what they did best....and don't agree to a license if they won't supply the important assets essential to the license.

I do not disagree with you. I'm hoping this title can be saved with some additional work in the near future. Here's hoping they respond. Collective complaints of no songs... Songs added. Complaints of no call outs... speech added quickly. Maybe secure one original actor (like Hudson in GB or Urban in ST) for custom call outs? Make it more cohesive and interactive? Can't hurt!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 26.50
There are 4260 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 86.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside