50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

There are 4,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 86.
#3151 6 years ago
Quoted from cavalier88z24:

Im at the bar right now and just put 5 dollars in to play guardians of the galaxy for the first time. This machine sucks. plays like every stern I have ever played. sorry to disagree gentleman, but star wars is even better at launch

What didn't you like about it?

#3152 6 years ago
Quoted from zimzam:

Any Batman 66 owners buying a GOTG right away? Thought I would share my thoughts on Stern and NIB since Batman 66 was my first and GOTG looking to be a repeat of that. ... I was STUNNED how awful Batman 66 came out of the box. Almost unplayable.

Nope. Batman cured me of "gotta have it now" itis. I bought a Batman 66 LE knowing I would have to wait for code and did so at the time only because it was a Lyman game. Yes, the recent code drop is a significant improvement but until the last week or so my game has virtually been unplayed. Maybe we see release 1.0 in 2-3 months, maybe we never do. If Lyman is allowed to finish it, it will be epic.

Before Batman, I was going to be 100% in on an Elvira LE, probably 95% on a GOTG. Now? I'm not buying another Stern game NIB game until Batman 66 code is done. If it's never finished, that means no more Sterns.

As I said in the "A dark night for Stern" thread -- I'm no longer going to buy a game for what it might become in the future or what a company tells me they are going to do. Actions speak louder than words. I'm going to be buying on what I get today, not promises of what I'll get tomorrow.

#3153 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

What didn't you like about it?

the cheap generic shots that they have used for there last 10 games. Nothing really changes once you think about it.

#3154 6 years ago

Love how people speak about nothing new from stern in the past 10 games. However they own no recent stern games period! You are telling me there has not been a single game that tickled your fancy that stern has made on the last 10 games? That's crazy talk. Thats anti stern X10. This guy is truly committed to hating on stern. Congrats.

#3155 6 years ago
Quoted from cavalier88z24:

the cheap generic shots that they have used for there last 10 games. Nothing really changes once you think about it.

I agree, its the best of the last 10 games in a way.

I think the issue is, when they gamble with a non flow layout, another group of pinheads, complain there is no flow.
Catch-22, in the sense of how the masses vocalize on social media....

However, id still like to think that customers can help Stern and help themselves, and wait a few weeks at least to see
about buying. I cant see any reason to be the guinea pigs, when we all know the game will be available in a few weeks or a few months.

On the "something new", pinsiders have some amazing ideas in some of the other threads, and I sure wish we could influence
Stern! Maybe Ill try another thread when I have time and overly share it!

#3156 6 years ago

Russian bots on both side of the issue are confusing us and destroying our pinball economy.

#3157 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

This guy is truly committed to hating on stern. Congrats.

no not hating stern. i own one! one as the number #1. owned them in the past, give me a reason to own more then one? It feels like data east 2017. the best stern, worth wild lately is the walking dead. when did that debut 2014? and the code got good when? but it did get good i will give them that. i like that game but not enough to sell something else.

#3158 6 years ago

ok packers halftime. I can't believe there doing as good as they are. going to put 5 more dollars in and see if it "clicks"

#3159 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

You are telling me there has not been a single game that tickled your fancy that stern has made on the last 10 games? That's crazy talk. Thats anti stern X10.

Let me look up the last 10 games....yeah, pretty much all mediocre to horrible. That's not "hate", that's an opinion based on having played every single Stern, Sega & Data East game that has come out of that factory. The last 10 games do not measure up to their past output in terms of design, creativity, fun, features, or theme integration.

#3160 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Love how people speak about nothing new from stern in the past 10 games. However they own no recent stern games period!

So someone has to own the game to have an opinion about it? As someone who routes games, you’d think you might realize that many of us play them on route. A lot even.

#3161 6 years ago

Last 10 games stern has created

10. Star wars. Good Game
9. Aerosmith. Good Game
8. Batman 66. Needs help but good game.
7. Ghostbusters. Good Game
6. Spider man VE. Good Game
5. Who Nellie. Meh!
4. Game of Thrones. Good game
3. Kiss. Good Game
2. Wrestlemania. Ok you got me!
1. Walking Dead. Good Game

Last ten 7 out of 10 is worth owning. Nothing new? what does Ghostbusters remind you of from early Data east? Nothing! This game stands alone. I saw your collection the only stern you own is Batman Dark night. Ok game but I would rather have any of these 7 over Batman Dark night. Yes the Stern hate is still very strong. That's ok no big deal. More for us to play. Again not just luvin on Stern same for the last 2 from CGC and the last 3 from JJP all good games.

#3162 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Let me look up the last 10 games....yeah, pretty much all mediocre to horrible. That's not "hate", that's an opinion based on having played every single Stern, Sega & Data East game that has come out of that factory. The last 10 games do not measure up to their past output in terms of design, creativity, fun, features, or theme integration.

You said it, its "just an opinion", stated once again. We get it.

#3163 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You said it, its "just an opinion", stated once again. We get it.

And then have to keep reading it again and again and again! And then again some more.

#3164 6 years ago

10. Star wars. Good Game
9. Aerosmith. Good Game
8. Batman 66. Needs help but good game.
7. Ghostbusters. Good Game
6. Spider man VE. Good Gamexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. Who Nellie. Meh!xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
4. Game of Thrones. Good game
3. Kiss. Good Game
2. Wrestlemania. Ok you got me!
1. Walking Dead. Good game

Can't really include SMVE and Whoa Nellie

The 3 pins prior were

Star Trek
Mustang
Metallica

Once again, RH blowing smoke out of his arse!

#3165 6 years ago

And again, you’re saying I have to OWN a game to have an opinion. Now find a post where I bashed ANY game. I’ll save you the trouble, I haven’t.

Just trying to point out that looking at the list of games someone owns (which many people don’t update BTW) is no way to tell that someone’s opinion is valid. And I’ll even argue that any opinion is valid, even those you don’t agree with.

And Whoa Nellie isn’t meh, it totally sucks. (My first bash post).

#3166 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Strange, I've enjoyed most of them. Owned most of the recent releases from most of the companies and Stern's are still the most fun for me. Lots of variety inspite of what many of you claim.

#3167 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I couldnt wait....Good deals all around.
Pulled the plug an Aerosmith Pro!!
HUO, a couple guys have had here in Florida, and 20% off list!
My kinda deal!
I have to buy my own Christmas presents!!
Ill enjoy this, until GOTG code settles....Now, I can enjoy the next 60 days, no roof, my daughters wedding,
and a new toy to keep me busy!

Good luck and best wishes to your daughter!

Congrats on your new game. You will love it. Surprise game of 2017 for us.

#3168 6 years ago

Well, to be fair he said they were ranging from mediocre to horrible. In reality, most of those games are mediocre, except for MET and TWD. GB was an anomaly, it had the potential to be one of the modern-day greats but because of the F-d up airballs and rules, it was DOA. I was close to pulling the trigger on an LE but I backed off due to pf issues. However, after a few dozen plays I was baffled by the way the ball was flying all over the pf...lol. I couldn't understand it. It wasn't like a first time designer or a new company had made it, so I decided not to buy because this game had some design issues that new code or I could not fix.

PS: I think AS is all around OK, nothing extraordinary but not bad either. I guess we're all waiting and hoping for another MET or Tron.

#3169 6 years ago

Sometimes I feel paying attention to how long the masses keep games after the code is fairly complete tells a lot about how special a game actually is. On average a good game seems to get sold quicker than a great game. Stern has been putting out a lot of good games in the last few years but not many that I would classify as great. Besides code, my biggest complaint about recent Sterns would be some games have far too many easy shots rather than varied difficulty between shots and some have static or nearly static toys such as bulky bash toys that don't do anything for me. I guess GB is an outlier in this conversation. That game has its own unique issues such as the wide flipper gap and other quirks that drives some away.

#3170 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Sometimes I feel paying attention to how long the masses keep games after the code is fairly complete tells a lot about how special a game actually is. On average a good game seems to get sold quicker than a great game. Stern has been putting out a lot of good games in the last few years but not many that I would classify as great. Besides code, my biggest complaint about recent Sterns would be some games have far too many easy shots rather than varied difficulty between shots and some have static or nearly static toys such as bulky bash toys that don't do anything for me. I guess GB is an outlier in this conversation. That game has its own unique issues such as the wide flipper gap that drives some away.

GB suffers from bad shot geometry on the premium.

Best decision I made was ignoring ASOA as it just shows post ignored. GOTG is a bit recycled and I think we all hope it works, but the current code has me very worried.

#3171 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

GB suffers from bad shot geometry on the premium.
Best decision I made was ignoring ASOA as it just shows post ignored. GOTG is a bit recycled and I think we all hope it works, but the current code has me very worried.

Are you enjoying GOTG? We have never been too worried about any code for any game. I only just worked out last Saturday that the new SW code had video mode!

#3172 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Are you enjoying GOTG? We have never been too worried about any code for any game. I only just worked out last Saturday that the new SW code had video mode!

Played GOTG now about 10 times and hate it. The code kills me wanting to ever turn it on. I will not play again until code is released

#3173 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Played GOTG now about 10 times and hate it. The code kills me wanting to ever turn it on. I will not play again until code is released

Wow. That is no good. Hobby is meant to be fun. You have a few machines so play other games until some more code drops. Hopefully you will warm up to the game soon. I must admit, sometimes I struggle with new Sterns but after a while I love them.

#3174 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Best decision I made was ignoring ASOA as it just shows post ignored.

Wait this is great I can say whatever I want about this guy and all he sees is.... I am groot!

Good thing I'm not immature. However it does seem like a missed opportunity.

Again I have enough friends.

#3175 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Rumor has it additional code coming this week.

#3176 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Last ten 7 out of 10 is worth owning. Nothing new? what does Ghostbusters remind you of from early Data east? Nothing! This game stands alone. I saw your collection the only stern you own is Batman Dark night.

Are you talking to me? I don't own Batman Dark KNIGHT. I have 7 Sterns. Look again.

Past 10 games:

10. GOTG: Launched unfinished & untested
9. SW: Practically featureless w/ insane math-chess rules to compensate.
8. Aero: Mediocre and boring. AC/DC & Met are the kings of music pins. Do better or don't bother.
7. Batman'66: An arrogant disgraceful debacle that they still haven't finished
6. Pabst Can crusher: Why does this exist?!
5. GB: The worst game ever made ever.
4. Spider-Man Vault: Great game cuz it was made in 2007...original is far superior.
3. GOT - Ugliest game ever, another featureless game with math-chess rules. Waste of a great license.
2. Kiss - Rushed and mediocre. Horrible features...the disc barely does anything.
1. Whoa Nellie - Who cares.

I didn't even get to WWE. Oooph. Keep going back in time and you get to the actual good games.

#3177 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Thanks Jason! 6 ball gives it more potential for sure.... If code ends up being as good as Aerosmith this game will be a winner. Just need to wait a while longer to see how it ends up.

It's almost identical code to AS so it should be the same.....probably.

#3178 6 years ago

Since past games are being discussed.

GB Premium is one of Stern best modern games in my opinion. Multiple unique and interactive toys, multiple molded items, great hand drawn artwork, deep rules, excellent audio / callout offering and one of the best world under glass feelings in pinball. GB Premium represents what modern pinball should be at these crazy prices. Every Stern since GB looks empty next to it...

As far as GB's layout I think it's awesome. Thank goodness it's not another left ramp right ramp fan layout. The dual scoop shots, tough PKE ramp shot, excellent tight left orbit shot and, dual captive ball shots, and the main ramp that drops under the playfield is one of the coolest shots in pinball. I wish more Stern games offered half as much shot variety as GB.

#3179 6 years ago

I think it’s time for a new pin that doesn’t have mode selection. I’ve always enjoyed games that started modes during gameplay. There’s something rewarding in that. It’s missing from select a mode games. I’m not saying it’s better, but maybe they should mix it up. That’s why all of these pins feel the same to me.

#3180 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Since past games are being discussed.
GB Premium is one of Stern best modern games in my opinion. Multiple unique and interactive toys, multiple molded items, great hand drawn artwork, deep rules, excellent audio / callout offering and one of the best world under glass feelings in pinball. GB Premium represents what modern pinball should be at these crazy prices. Every Stern since GB looks empty next to it...
As far as GB's layout I think it's awesome. Thank goodness it's not another left ramp right ramp fan layout. The dual scoop shots, tough PKE ramp shot, excellent tight left orbit shot and, dual captive ball shots, and the main ramp that drops under the playfield is one of the coolest shots in pinball. I wish more Stern games offered half as much shot variety as GB.

This would be spot on if I didn't disagree with 90% of it.

GB has toys, art and shot variety.

All else fails.

Airballs, Scoleri targets, POS multi balls where everything is active, super duper flipper gap, flipper angle, repeating linear gameplay, stupid skill shot / bonus, chafing slimer mech, mode start mess.

#3181 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

This would be spot on if I didn't disagree with 90% of it.
GB has toys, art and shot variety.
All else fails.
Airballs, Scoleri targets, POS multi balls where everything is active, super duper flipper gap, flipper angle, repeating linear gameplay, stupid skill shot / bonus, chafing slimer mech, mode start mess.

Im sure glad we have different opinions on Pinball...safest thing these days to disagree with!

No Airballs, No target issues, OK to disagree, but see your point on Multiballs, Flippers are no issue, Linear yes, talk was this may change with new code, but if it bothers you...OK, agree about skill shot, relative to code.

Nonetheless, still enjoy playing this immensely after 1-1/2 years, as much as an EM, or a 1930's pin.

Not too many games I can think of , "I hate".....more games I wouldnt choose to own.

I always look and find the fun things in a Pin to do and play, and fair to everyone to what they might not like,
but lately the intensity of negativity against games rivals the political forums.....

Thankfully, I still have a blast on Whoa Nellie, sold my met and ac/dc to play an AS, just to have a new Music pin for a while.

Whats great is even if we disagree, or I do on any game, its just a game, and much more important things in life.

Pinball is always fun, every new game is exciting, and the pinball community and friends are amazing!

Very happy we enjoy different games, just hard to put anything negative about it, with so many other things to battle these days.

Happy Monday!

#3182 6 years ago

I thought this thread was about GOTG...

#3183 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I thought this thread was about GOTG...

No, it's like every other stern thread. They must be bashed at every turn and for everything from the past, present, and future.

#3184 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I thought this thread was about GOTG

No like Ice said this thread is for circle jerking Stern haters, who have no faith, move any productive conversations over to the owner's thread.

Steve Ritchie said Pinside is a disease, I got offended at first but I am beginning to see the other side as well.

#3185 6 years ago

I love Stern pins!

#3186 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

No, it's like every other stern thread. They must be bashed at every turn and for everything from the past, present, and future.

Nuh uh! In the past they were doing really well!

Quoted from cosmicjim:

I think it’s time for a new pin that doesn’t have mode selection. I’ve always enjoyed games that started modes during gameplay. There’s something rewarding in that. It’s missing from select a mode games. I’m not saying it’s better, but maybe they should mix it up. That’s why all of these pins feel the same to me.

YES 100%!!!!! It's fun to hit the ball around, get a feel for the game, collect a few things, then hit that mode start for a satisfying sequence. Select at launch works for music games like AC/DC...but for story based games I don't think it works well.

#3187 6 years ago

I'm still interested in GOTG, but I'll be waiting for more complete code and some playing time before deciding. Most likely one of my other Sterns will have to leave for it to find a place in my home, but I'm not ready to let any of them go yet. I'm guessing GOTG will be one of the games that gets me out to the local pinball bars that have been springing up recently instead of staying at home playing/drinking.

With so many new pinball locations popping up around us now, I'm betting we purchase fewer new games for play at home and just keep what we have until we're completely bored with it and then find another to replace it.

#3188 6 years ago

Ordered a pro ships today know back to our local program ps sw kicks ass idgaf what anybody says

#3189 6 years ago

I went through and time stamped some of the interesting parts and highlights of the Dead Flip stream of GOTG on This Week in Pinball:

http://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-guardians-stream/

#3190 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmicjim:

Maybe because the people coding are tournament nuts who play games for the highest score..? I agree though, this ruleset is not the best, I mean look no further than GOT and SW. I like the layouts (We'll overlook the art and toys) but every time I play those games I have to ask ppl what am I shooting for now.

#3191 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

every time I play those games I have to ask ppl what am I shooting for now.

its not rocket science, just take one game and focus on the rules not to mention that before each mode it states exactly what your supposed to do, I think when a person goes in already bias then its pointless anyway. I'm not saying you because I don't know you but this is a common practice among many a pinsider.

"Stern plans to have custom callouts from licensor-approved voice actors" r they going to be any actual sound bites from the movie itself? I'll still play this game but I don't see owning it without the actual one liners, Stern humor will not cut the mustard for me.

#3192 6 years ago

Fair enough but it's not only me...I tried watching a tutorial, check it out even Chris Bucci was asking for help Skip to the 8:30 tick.

#3193 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Maybe because the people coding are tournament nuts who play games for the highest score..? I agree though, this ruleset is not the best, I mean look no further than GOT and SW. I like the layouts (We'll overlook the art and toys) but every time I play those games I have to ask ppl what am I shooting for now.

To some extent this is an issue with any modern pin. If you want complex rulesets, there's going to be a learning curve. If you own the game and learn its subtleties, it's easy to forget that it's not intuitive to newcomers. I had no idea what I was doing when I first played SW beyond "shoot the flashing lights," but the same was true for Hobbit and DI.

#3194 6 years ago

If you want a game with complex rules, which to me equates longer last ability in a collection, get a Lyman/Dwight/Keith game. If you want something simple, get a Lonnie game which happens to be guardians. Just don’t come complaining about code Months later when you realize there’s not much to do and the game is too straight forward.

For me, I love games that I can discover new things to do on (i.e. GOT, AC/DC, TWD, SW, etc...). Want a game where you start a mode, play a mode, move on to the next mode and not much else to do in between but is straightforward and it’s learning curve is low get guardians, AS, KISS, TF, etc...

#3196 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Are you talking to me? I don't own Batman Dark KNIGHT. I have 7 Sterns. Look again.
Past 10 games:
10. GOTG: Launched unfinished & untested
9. SW: Practically featureless w/ insane math-chess rules to compensate.
8. Aero: Mediocre and boring. AC/DC & Met are the kings of music pins. Do better or don't bother.
7. Batman'66: An arrogant disgraceful debacle that they still haven't finished
6. Pabst Can crusher: Why does this exist?!
5. GB: The worst game ever made ever.
4. Spider-Man Vault: Great game cuz it was made in 2007...original is far superior.
3. GOT - Ugliest game ever, another featureless game with math-chess rules. Waste of a great license.
2. Kiss - Rushed and mediocre. Horrible features...the disc barely does anything.
1. Whoa Nellie - Who cares.
I didn't even get to WWE. Oooph. Keep going back in time and you get to the actual good games.

Wow,
I'm happy I'm not that critical. I enjoyed pretty much any game I've played, even WWE to some extent. The only game I've ever played that I thought was boring as hell was Mark Shelley's Frankenstein.

#3197 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That was aimed at me. Sorry. Despite my not having offered any opinion on a game prior, it was made apparent that my opinion wouldn’t matter since I don’t own any of the games being discussed.

I was just pointing out the ridiculousness of that statement. And then I took a shot at Whoa Nelly, but since I don’t own it, that opinion doesn’t matter.

#3198 6 years ago

Stern's last 10 aren't a bad or a great run. Probably better than average, but there are some real ups and downs there.

Last 10 games stern has created
10. Star Wars - Pro is bad, Premium/LE is worse.
9. Aerosmith - Fun, yet shallow game. Great player and I like it.
8. Batman 66 - Truly awful. Code is improving, but the layout is a dog and the turntable a physical mess.
7. Ghostbusters - Very good game that needs a desperate final pass on code to clean up bugs and to finish the wizard modes.
6. Spider man VE - Not as good as the original, but still a very fun game. Overpriced.
5. Who Nellie/Pabst - Underrated, mostly due to the cost. Fun game that could have done better at a lower price point.
4. Game of Thrones - Fantastic game at the pro level, but a big step down at the premium/LE. Still, a legit great.
3. KISS - Boring and lame. Some of the laziest/worst DMD animations ever.
2. Wrestlemania - Interesting effort, but it doesn't come together well. Not good.
1. Walking Dead - Amazing game that keeps you coming back for more. Addictive despite being brutal.

We'll see with Guardians. It's a recycled effort on layout and code, but it's drawing from good inspiration. I can't wait to see it in a matured state.

#3199 6 years ago

Hell I’ll join in on sterns last 10 games list, based on my opinions looks like they’re batting a .500 on the awesomeness scale give or take a little.

10. Star Wars: this game sucks if you don’t know what you’re doing. Learn the rules and it’s a top notch excellent game. Lots of ways to tackle it which can prolong longevity in a collection. Looks barren at first glance, but is sterns first pro with complete color changing GI that matches the prem/LE with some color changing inserts, drops, mini lcd. Not a fan of the hyperdrive loop shot on the prem/LE. Pro way to go IMO

9. Aerosmith: dark horse underrated game for sure. But it’s code isn’t too involving which I question it’s lastability in a collection. Overall a real fun pin.

8. BM66: oh god is this game awful. Granted, I haven’t played it on the new code. Is there really saving this pin with this layout and toy Mech? Don’t recommend any version

7. Ghostbusters: yea...this one kinda sucks. Not as horrible as RH puts it, but pretty close. Code can save it.

6. SMVE: awesome. Way better than the original in every aspect.

5. Whoa Nellie. Meh. Couldn’t get into this one. Maybe if I liked EM’s?

4. GOT: ugly as shit but best flowing pin ever with a fantastic ruleset. Stern nailed this one...EDIT: when I say stern nailed this one I mean Steve/Dwight nailed it with the gameplay + rules - stern gets a D+ for its art package implementation. No math/chess like ruleset like some claim; at least not compared to Hobbit, AC/DC, or Metallica. Innovative multiplier ruleset. Lots of ways to tackle this game. Unfortunate the upper pf takes away a kick ass stark ramp shot + has very weak rules that don’t match the game. Pro the way to go.

3. KISS: yea...this one sucks.

2. WWE: creative but falls real flat due to layout and theme.

1. TWD: masterpiece.

Guardians: don’t bother til we see some code and creativity. Art package is sterns best IMO.

#3200 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

8. BM66: oh god is this game awful. Granted, I haven’t played it on the new code. Is there really saving this pin with this layout and toy Mech? Don’t recommend any version

Yes its awesome. Right up there with TWD

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
There are 4,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 86.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-here/page/64?hl=grimdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.