50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg
There are 4,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 86.
#2851 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am not sure what Stern needs to do to start getting games out the door as feature complete, but they should figure it out.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time they actually released a game with complete code (not counting minor updates)?

#2852 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Of course... but, what do consider to be a "game."

Gary always said "We're not in the games business, we're in the manufacturing business"...however, they were delivering good games, complete & fun experiences. However, over the past few years, Gary's mantra has finally come true - Stern has proven without a doubt that they're not in the games business. Creativity and fun aren't at the core of their goals. They're 100% a marketing and manufacturing business. If a good & fun game actually comes out of that factory, it's a fluke at this point.

#2853 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

No worries. I will start by my Thank you to stern. We asked for more options installed into there PRO versions of there games. I feel they have done that with this title. Not sure what all the big fuss was about that. I guess some people were not taught manners when they were a child. You know (Please & Thank you).
On to my question has anyone experienced any malfunctions or defects. I have had access to a limited number of machines 4 is the magic number if you must know. Code was not installed into any of the 4 games until Monday Nov. 13th. We have had alot of game play on these games but that does not tell me If there were any issues with the first batch of games shipped to the public. It's a pretty legitimate question. Has anyone experienced any mechanical issues with there game. I can attest to the ones I have had the pleasure of playing but it would be nice to know others experiences. Pretty sure we don't just judge a game by 4 demo models.
And as far as the Stern support by me I will say it again for the slower pinsiders out there. I have no sides I love all 3 major manufactures. I support all of there titles. I own them in my personal collection as well as in our locations.
JJP
STERN
CGC
not to discredit other manufactures it's just these are the 3 that we know very well and feel comfortable purchasing.
The negativity on Pinside can get a bit overwhelming. It's like some people only try to make others experiences unpleasant here on pinside. This issue should be addressed.
My decision for holding on my order of 10 GOTG Pros is very rational. If the code is not there my locations will not take to the game. Therefore money will not be generated. Also once you put a game on location if it does not play well because of lack of code most customers will not try it again once the code gets an update. All they know is they played it once before and it was not that enjoyable. I will not ruin that experience for my customers so I will wait. I'm sure it will not be long judging by how quick they were to release Star Wars updates. As for my LE I will still by this because I know what the game will be in the near future. I will enjoy it for what it is now and enjoy it even more when new updates get released.
I hope this answers some of your questions.
Thank you

This is a smart business decision. Wait for the code.

#2854 6 years ago
Quoted from fishmanrob:

This is a smart business decision. Wait for the code.

Is it? Do average location players even care? I would think the 'strike with what's new and hot' would work better - regardless of finish details. Sure, repeat regular customers might be disappointed by it, but on a route operation how much of that is really where the money is versus "OOOH GUARDIANS (puts money in)"

#2855 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Gary always said "We're not in the games business, we're in the manufacturing business"...however, they were delivering good games, complete & fun experiences. Howevever the past few years, Gary's mantra has finally come true - Stern has proven without a doubt that they're not in the games business. Creativity and fun aren't at the core of their goals. They're 100% a marketing and manufacturing business. If a good & fun game actually comes out of that factory, it's a fluke at this point.

Seems a tad melodramatic. Whatever Gary's goals may be, I doubt that the many experienced hands Stern has making machines have given up on "creativity" and "fun." And I'd have a hard time taking much seriously from anyone that thinks none of Stern's games made in the past few years have offered "fun experiences."

#2856 6 years ago

I need to get ahold of Lonnie and let him know I'll be his code guinea pig. :>

#2857 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Out of curiosity, when was the last time they actually released a game with complete code (not counting minor updates)?

good question...

I remember GB as being the best in the past few, before that SMVE (does that count since just a vault with minor tweaks?), before that probably mustang, before that MET.

Basically 1 out of every 3 or 4 is what I would consider feature complete 'enough' to be ok at release. I may not be remembering 100%, but those strike me as the best out the door.

Reality is NONE of them are even remotely close to the release code for DI or TNA.

#2858 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Is it? Do average location players even care? I would think the 'strike with what's new and hot' would work better - regardless of finish details. Sure, repeat regular customers might be disappointed by it, but on a route operation how much of that is really where the money is versus "OOOH GUARDIANS (puts money in)"

In my opinion only, I think you need the best initial wow factor on the 1st play in order for additional coins to be dropped. My 16 old son and other friends of mine immediately walk away from a pin after the 1st game if there isn't that wow factor. Why not wait and make it a bit better? Glass is half empty or half full. Make as much $ up front or hope to make more money in the long run waiting. Not sure. Don't own a route. Don't really care. Just making a comment.

#2859 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If a good & fun game actually comes out of that factory, it's a fluke at this point.

Come on.

#2861 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Seems a tad melodramatic. Whatever Gary's goals may be, I doubt that the many experienced hands Stern has making machines have given up on "creativity" and "fun." And I'd have a hard time taking much seriously from anyone that thinks none of Stern's games made in the past few years have offered "fun experiences."

It all depends on what you're comparing Stern to. I wouldn't disagree with what you're saying. But, I'm also not 100% convinced that a passion for pinball is what's driving Stern. They definitely have a passion for manufacturing pinball... but I'm not always so sure they have a passion for the game as a driving force.

#2862 6 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Played it last night on location. Fun game, waaay better than SW even if the code is in early state. I just can't figure out why Stern had to fuck up the best theme in SW. So disappointing that a new theme like this gets more attention than the most prolific theme in sci fi. Stern, you lost all my respect and it will be hard to get me back as a NIB customer.

Lol, so because you didn't like how SW turned out you are going to not buy another NIB? Not because of code, QC, secondary market price drops, NIB price increases, spike concerns, etc, but because they didn't do your dream theme how you wanted.

#2863 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Aerosmith was pretty close. I couldn't tell a difference from ship date to the current release, 1.03.

#2864 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Seems a tad melodramatic. Whatever Gary's goals may be, I doubt that the many experienced hands Stern has making machines have given up on "creativity" and "fun."

Everyone making the games are trying, but they do not have the time or resources needed to complete their jobs before the shipping deadline hits. That shipping deadline is more important than testing, finishing, and refining a game.

Quoted from fosaisu:

And I'd have a hard time taking much seriously from anyone that thinks none of Stern's games made in the past few years have offered "fun experiences."

Don't take me seriously. My experience and time in this hobby speaks for itself. I don't need your validation. In MY OPINION, their last phenomenal game was Metallica. I'll throw Walking Dead in there as a good one - I'm not a fan of it, but I know it's good. Everything since then has been mediocre to horrible...and have continued the trend of incomplete and untested upon shipping.

#2865 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Don't take me seriously. My experience and time in this hobby speaks for itself. I don't need your validation. In MY OPINION, their last phenomenal game was Metallica. I'll throw Walking Dead in there as a good one - I'm not a fan of it, but I know it's good. Everything since then has been mediocre to horrible.

Yes!

#2866 6 years ago

Metallica is one game I wish I had've owned by now. I feel like I would've kept it. Maybe even Kiss.

#2867 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Everyone making the games are trying, but they do not have the time or resources needed to complete their jobs before the shipping deadline hits. That shipping deadline is more important than testing, finishing, and refining a game.

That. Opposing forces.

#2868 6 years ago

What's amazing is that games are being shipped with .65 code..? If the code is almost a copy of AS and the layout a mash of IM and MET then 80% of the work is already done before they even start. I dunno, I like Borg and I think his talent is being wasted at Stern.

#2869 6 years ago

if the code was any good we would be talking gameplay and not having these code bad/good/incomplete discussions.

bottom line stern is selling you a cab and you are going to have to wait for code.
so wrong in so many ways.

#2870 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Metallica is one game I wish I had've owned by now. I feel like I would've kept it. Maybe even Kiss.

lol, do you really believe that? I'm curious if you still have that GotG you opened yesterday?

#2871 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

if the code was any good we would be talking gameplay and not having these code bad/good/incomplete discussions.
bottom line stern is selling you a cab and you are going to have to wait for code.
so wrong in so many ways.

It's got lights in it too! Don't mislead people now.

#2872 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

lol, do you really believe that? I'm curious if you still have that GotG you opened yesterday?

Yes and yes.

Besides, I've only gotten two offers on my GotG so far, neither of which interested me.

#2873 6 years ago

Layout is great (it’s MET 2.0), art is pretty damn good, sound/music and code are lacking. Two out of four isn’t bad.

Seriously, the layout is a proven winner and the theme rocks. If Lyman was on this it would be a winner in a year or so. With Lonnie, expect Aerosmith rules on this game. If that’s enough for you AND you don’t have MET or AS already it might be a winner for you. I don’t have MET or AS yet...so if this is close to MET in quality when the code is done I might go for one. It’s a much better theme than MET for me.

But then I think, why risk a SPIKE system when I can get MET on a SAM system?

#2874 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Yes and yes.
Besides, I've only gotten two offers on my GotG so far, neither of which interested me.

Ah, even if you get a good offer you should still hold on to it....at least until you put some time into it with good code.

#2875 6 years ago

I know a guy who is straight up trading his NIB GOTG for a S-M Vault with colorDMD and mods. Smart move, since he can always go back and get another GOTG when the game is more fleshed out.

#2876 6 years ago

Is Met still being made or is Stern done with them?

#2877 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I know a guy who is straight up trading his NIB GOTG for a S-M Vault with colorDMD and mods. Smart move, since he can always go back and get another GOTG when the game is more fleshed out.

I'd do the same thing tbh, SM Vault is another dream theme of mine.

#2878 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

I'd do the same thing tbh, SM Vault is another dream theme of mine.

Quoted from waspinat0r:

So, there are two COMPLETE games you like...why did you get GOTG instead of Spidey or Met?

#2879 6 years ago

Cause both of them were more expensive than GOTG.

(Well, Metallica probably isn't, but I can always easily get a Met out of GotG in the future)

#2880 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

but I can always easily get a Met out of GotG in the future

LOL

#2881 6 years ago

Hey, I said the future!
Tomorrow is a new day!

#2882 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Hey, I said the future!
Tomorrow is a new day!

I'm one that buys to keep so I'm fascinated at how quickly you go through games. Your For Sale/Trade and Wanted threads are quickly becoming classics around here.

#2883 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I'm one that buys to keep so I'm fascinated at how quickly you go through games. Your For Sale/Trade and Wanted threads are quickly becoming classics around here.

To say I had a few fun talks at GOGX with some pinsiders would be a huge understatement. By and large you guys are awesome!

#2884 6 years ago

Well I guess that old saying rings true, 2 dickheads are better than 1. Thank #2

#2885 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Aerosmith was the last one that shipped with 1.00 or greater. BM'66, Star Wars, GotG all shipped with much less than 1.00, and Batman'66 shipped as little more than a box of lights. ALL the Sterns that shipped with less than 1.00 at launch happened in the last 12 months. Before that it was pretty much unheard of in modern Stern history.

#2886 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Is Met still being made or is Stern done with them?

They re-upped the license a while ago, so probably still making them as needed.

#2887 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Aerosmith was the last one that shipped with 1.00 or greater. BM'66, Star Wars, GotG all shipped with much less than 1.00, and Batman'66 shipped as little more than a box of lights. ALL the Sterns that shipped with less than 1.00 at launch happened in the last 12 months. Before that it was pretty much unheard of in modern Stern history.

SW was great right out of the box and is quite complete a few months later. GOTG could all of sudden get a major update by the end of the month and everyone bitching will look like fools but that's the norm on this site especially with regards to Stern, wait a year if you want a complete game but if someone wants to buy now then good for them, the only stupid thing is to buy a NIB Stern and expect final code, doesn't happen.

#2888 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They re-upped the license a while ago, so probably still making them as needed.

is TWD license still active?

#2889 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Fortunately, I don’t care for their LE’s so I can afford to wait a year for a NIB Stern and will certainly do that given what they’ve been delivering at launch the past couple of years. I agree with you but until it hits them in the bank account they have no motivation to change their ways. I couldn’t imagine buying this game right now the way it is. All my games are Sterns at the moment but I think it’s time for me to test the waters over at JJP for a while. I’ll come back to Stern once they get their shit together.

Remember CGC as well. Old BWs go very well with late model Sterns and they compliment each other giving you a nice all round collection.

#2890 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

is TWD license still active?

No idea on that one.

#2891 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

No idea on that one.

thanks. I had heard from a typically reliable source that TWD vault was coming where they will have the PRO model with walker bombs, spinner, and extra magnet. I was told the only thing holding it up was that Lyamn is still busy on other titles with code.

If true, it would be enough for me to likely by a TWDve for home finally.

#2892 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

SW was great right out of the box and is quite complete a few months later.

Meh. I played the pro and wouldn't call it great. Huge missed opportunity.

Quoted from Hazoff:

GOTG could all of sudden get a major update by the end of the month and everyone bitching will look like fools

This isn't happening anytime soon. There are a huge amount of design issues evident in the way GotG works now. There is a LOT of work to make something cohesive out of the mess they're shipping currently.

Quoted from Hazoff:

...with regards to Stern, wait a year if you want a complete game but if someone wants to buy now then good for them, the only stupid thing is to buy a NIB Stern and expect final code.

Not even wait a year for a complete game. Wait a 6-18 months for a non-beta 1.00 version that Sterns USED to ship with as recently as a year ago. That is a change for the MUCH WORSE with Stern in the past year. They're now unapologetically shipping alpha and beta-stage games that stay that way for up to a YEAR or MORE. This isn't even about complete games, or extra modes, they don't ship feature complete games anymore.

Quoted from Hazoff:

buy TNA or JJPOTC and good luck to ya.

AP's Houdini look's pretty hot, too. But yeah, if everyone took a break from Stern NIB for a year or two, there might be some awareness in Stern management that no, Gary can't sell boxes of lights like he says he can.

BTW, hilarious that you downvoted a post with nothing but facts about Stern's shipping version numbers in it.

#2893 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Remember CGC as well. Old BWs go very well with late model Sterns and they compliment each other giving you a nice all round collection.

Those are very much on the radar as well. There's quite a few BW games I would love to add to the collection one day. For now, JJPOTC is next in line though.

#2894 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

thanks. I had heard from a typically reliable source that TWD vault was coming where they will have the PRO model with walker bombs, spinner, and extra magnet. I was told the only thing holding it up was that Lyamn is still busy on other titles with code.

I wonder what the price point would be on that though. Somewhere in between a Pro and Premium?

#2895 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Those are very much on the radar as well. There's quite a few BW games I would love to add to the collection one day. For now, JJPOTC is next in line though.

I am sure that you are going to love it! It is no secret that I am a fan of CGC. We will add a JJP to our line up one day soon as well.

#2896 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Why would they do this? They could just make more premiums. Doesn't make any sense.

#2897 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Don't worry...we're not impressed.

Not sure why we're piling on. If ASOA is/is not actually thinking of buying 10 machines and is/isn't a large operator, I don't know and don't really care. There are plenty of folks on here that are either actually rich and occasionally come across as rubbing it in peoples faces or are just faking it. Wouldn't be the first time these things occur on the internet. I really only care in those situations where someone may be trying to commit fraud via falsehoods posted in the forum.

#2898 6 years ago

.83 code now on BM66. Its becoming a phenomenal “fluke” thanks to Lyman of course

ASLE is a damn good “fluke” too

Another typical dopey ass statement from the “pin whisperer” RH

BM66 will be as good or better than TWD. Yep, heard it here first. And I’ve played as much TWD as anyone

#2899 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Why would they do this? They could just make more premiums. Doesn't make any sense.

TWD has already been made using Spike technology. Stern spent a fortune developing Spike and have publicly said many times that they can produce old titles with Spike. Plenty of customers still around that would buy TWD VE. It is an awesome game for the home collection.

#2900 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

TWD has already been made using Spike technology. Stern spent a fortune developing Spike and have publicly said many times that they can produce old titles with Spike. Plenty of customers still around that would buy TWD VE. It is an awesome game for the home collection.

I haven't heard them say that? George Gomez has definitely stated that any remakes, reruns, whatever you call them will use the same boardset as originally supplied. Maybe TWD:VE would be an exception because they have made one with Spike tech?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
$ 28.00
$ 22.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 86.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-here/page/58?hl=grimdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.