2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,260 posts
  • 503 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mnluz
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 392 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CDC61D8B-FD6A-4D64-A69E-01294E9E947B (resized).png
ED493CEB-E58E-4946-97C9-FCCE99E36547 (resized).jpeg
F119E176-AD5E-4740-8FF9-BD0F26A2515A (resized).jpeg
61CCCECE-2607-4D17-96C7-E30F907A1F0D (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3864 (resized).jpg
Jam (resized).png
2A4B0C7A-AF2B-44C4-A323-A95C678D5DC6 (resized).jpeg
50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

There are 4260 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 86.
#2651 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Right. Let operators get the line moving and hang out a bit. It would surely cut down on the code angst posts.

Hahaha. Yeah right. It would just breed another type of angst posting from the same ole debbie downers.

#2652 2 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

WTF does that even mean?

It means the emphasis, heart, and blood of the business is their factory production ability. What matters keeps the company going is units rolling off the end of the line. It means the most critical aspect is ensuring the factory line is pumping out product. It means their core expertise is manufacturing... and creating desirable pinballs is the means to create demand for that core business.

It's why Stern was willing to build products for other people. The thing that makes them money is the factory...

It's a mindset to ensure people recognize the element of the business that is the most important and what pays the bills.

#2653 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hahaha. Yeah right. It would just breed another type of angst posting from the same ole debbie downers.

Honestly though, Stern has left a lot of owners out in the cold with code. I think people have shown good faith and kept buying, but Stern is showing no signs of getting better about this. People can either keep rolling with it or they can force a change.

#2654 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

There's absolutely no reason to do this anymore.

There really has never been a reason to rush to buy these games... yet look at how many people are "In!!" after just seeing photos of a game? Seems people are more addicted to having the latest and greatest toy and less about having great pinball machines.

#2655 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This x1000. People who want to bitch will find a reason to do so over anything possible. The fact is the state of sterns code is has been well known for years now. I bought my Met NIB 4 years ago, release code on that was rough, basiclly the only thing in the game to do was the multiballs. Mystery would always award 100k, no crank it up, stand up targets did nothing, no wizard mode, the list keeps going. Its a great game now, but took over a year before any real substance was added to that game.

People were saying back then never again am i buying NIB, just like they are today, just like they will be 5 years from now, and yet they are still buying. People have no self control, and i think some of them buy right out of the gate just so they have something to constantly complain about.

#2656 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

There really has never been a reason to rush to buy these games... yet look at how many people are "In!!" after just seeing photos of a game? Seems people are more addicted to having the latest and greatest toy and less about having great pinball machines.

The LE rush sweeps people up into ordering pros and premiums as well, I think. When everybody is putting money down, and there's the risk of having to wait for 2nd, 3rd, or later wave shipments, people get impatient. I get it, but it does more harm to get your game early and support bad release states than to just wait. Also, 2nd run and later games generally have improvements in manufacturing. My Dialed In LE game with all the tweaks that make it play great, and it had hole protectors from factory. On the other hand, my GBLE was a build disaster. I learned the hard way that early isn't always better.

#2657 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Honestly though, Stern has left a lot of owners out in the cold with code. I think people have shown good faith and kept buying, but Stern is showing no signs of getting better about this. People can either keep rolling with it or they can force a change.

Sorry but you get what you get. Stern is under no obligation to make a game what you hope it will be. Every single early adopter knows exactly what they are getting. Buy for what the game is, not what you hope it will be.

Buyers getting “burnt” is no one’s fault but their own.

#2658 2 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Side note, callouts were left out for this stream... BUT
I did get a preview of a few of them, and HOLY SH*T are they hilarious!
Can't wait for them to get tossed in!

Why was the preview of the callouts not part of the reveal?

#2659 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I wouldn't assume that sales have been that strong for GOTG just because a few pinsiders are "in". For my local distro, he will have some Pros available from his first shipment. That wasn't the case for Star Wars.

#2660 2 years ago

Guardians of the code pinball.

#2661 2 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

Why was the preview of the callouts not part of the reveal?

My guess is the callouts aren’t ready/approved yet.

#2662 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It means the emphasis, heart, and blood of the business is their factory production ability. What matters keeps the company going is units rolling off the end of the line. It means the most critical aspect is ensuring the factory line is pumping out product. It means their core expertise is manufacturing... and creating desirable pinballs is the means to create demand for that core business.
It's why Stern was willing to build products for other people. The thing that makes them money is the factory...
It's a mindset to ensure people recognize the element of the business that is the most important and what pays the bills.

Exactly

Thats not to say the designers and coders are not truly passionate about pinball. I believe.most of them are. Its more about the business decisions that the company makes are decided based on whats best to sustain their manufacturng business.

#2663 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sorry but you get what you get. Stern is under no obligation to make a game what you hope it will be. Every single early adopter knows exactly what they are getting. Buy for what the game is, not what you hope it will be.
Buyers getting “burnt” is no one’s fault but their own.

I think most Pinsiders know at this point, but I know buyers who aren't on here. Their distributor just emails them when a new game is coming out and they buy one here or there. Batman took a couple of these guys by surprise, and I'm sure this will too.

But the overeager nature of people buying before a game is in an acceptable state is absolutely holding back progress. Stern has no motivation to be timely anymore. They take a few negative posts here and on their Facebook page, but people keep buying. So why change? The community really needs to buckle down. Stern WILL change if they have to, but that hand hasn't ever even been close to forced.

#2664 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I think Stern's problem with the LCDs is they really aren't using them very well. The displays just aren't that well designed. The stuff JJP does with the display is gorgeous. Stern's attempts so far are ... not. I'm no graphic designer, so I can't really speak to what they should do different -- just as an end user, what they've done so far is ... meh. If they were amazing, I think you'd have less of a 'I miss the DMD' feeling.

JJP's use of the displays reminds me a lot of what is done in licensed slot machines with some movie content and some in-house generated effects. Stern just seems to plop movie video content in when something happens in the game.

#2665 2 years ago

Calm down everyone. We have to speak in a way that all of the JJP fans can understand.

20171121_114918 (resized).png

#2666 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I think most Pinsiders know at this point, but I know buyers who aren't on here. Their distributor just emails them when a new game is coming out and they buy one here or there. Batman took a couple of these guys by surprise, and I'm sure this will too.
But the overeager nature of people buying before a game is in an acceptable state is absolutely holding back progress. Stern has no motivation to be timely anymore. They take a few negative posts here and on their Facebook page, but people keep buying. So why change? The community really needs to buckle down. Stern WILL change if they have to, but that hand hasn't ever even been close to forced.

I think you’d be better off going with a spooky or JJP game. They have all their ducks in a row on the things you find most important it seems.

I’ve always preferred the play of Stern games, beta code or not. Would it be awesome if every game stern released was amazing from start to finish? Sure.

But to just keep hoping and hoping and hoping stern changes to your liking, it’s a waste of time imo. Just enjoy pinball for what it is and support the companies that have the same viewpoints as you do.

#2667 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

JJP's use of the displays reminds me a lot of what is done in licensed slot machines with some movie content and some in-house generated effects. Stern just seems to plop movie video content in when something happens in the game.

This is exactly what I saw and thought. Last nights stream showed it. All movie clips going while you’re playing with no rhyme or reason. I had to close the stream. The music was awfully integrated too.

#2668 2 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Calm down everyone. We have to speak in a way that all of the JJP fans can understand.

Why do you always have to go fanboy? Stop.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think you’d be better off going with a spooky or JJP game. They have all their ducks in a row on the things you find most important it seems.
I’ve always preferred the play of Stern games, beta code or not. Would it be awesome if every game stern released was amazing from start to finish? Sure.
But to just keep hoping and hoping and hoping stern changes to your liking, it’s a waste of time imo. Just enjoy pinball for what it is and support the companies that have the same viewpoints as you do.

I have more Stern games than JJP games. More Stern than any other manufacturer, actually (I think, I should count). Games don't have to be complete on release, but they should be release ready. Guardians is shipping really thin. People rushing to buy it will just validate that choice. I don't know why you need to play it RIGHT NOW and not in a few months. I don't know why you think that Stern wouldn't adapt their model if people put their foot down. It happens in every other industry.

#2669 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I don't know why you need to play it RIGHT NOW and not in a few months.

Pretty simple. Because they want to.

Quoted from jar155:

I don't know why you think that Stern wouldn't adapt their model if people put their foot down. It happens in every other industry.

I didn’t say this. I said it’s pointless to keep hoping that it will happen, or complaining that it hasn’t happened. Or at least pointless to keep posting about it over and over again.

Juat be happy you got a badass collection and enjoy watching this game mature on route or at a friends house that was dumb enough to buy this game now. Sarcasm. No one is stupid for buying this now (I’m jealous I couldn’t do the same)

#2670 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Why do you always have to go fanboy? Stop.

He literally thanked Stern for "helping our wallets" with the (great?) pricing of this machine. Fanboy is an understatement at this point.

Quoted from ASOA:

Potential Pro buyers can move forward with confidence.
Stern thank you for helping our wallets.

#2671 2 years ago

I'm an early 30s guy that just started collecting pins about 2 years ago, so I'm not familiar on the history of other pin releases in terms of code completion as I never really followed reveals on message boards before then. I own all Sterns, but at the end of the day, I'm a fan of pinball regardless of who puts the game out.

Stern's business model seems to be going the way a lot of PC game developers have gone over the past few years. Present a product that is in its early stage release and sell that to the public. How many games does that make that are currently out in which the code isn't finished? After watching for a couple of minutes last night, I just can't justify buying this game. I can't justify my NIB purchases to be incomplete games regardless of what the theme is. I hope that it does come along in development and I can add it to my lineup.

That being said, other companies out there, there's a massive gap in the market right now for a pin company to have a release ready game that is properly marketed from the get-go. Please, someone, step up.

#2672 2 years ago

I'll grab one now and let it boxed till the code is completed. That way the playfield can rest and I won't have much dimples later on

#2673 2 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

I'll grab one now and let it boxed till the code is completed. That way the playfield can rest and I won't have much dimples later on

#2674 2 years ago

The way that the movies play on the screen have a cheap pachinko look to them.

#2675 2 years ago

There is definitely no "LE rush" on this model. I bet LE sales are slightly better than Aerosmith.

Here is what they need to sell the LE (at the same price): ALL accessories included. Shooter knob, topper, laser cut rails, HD glass.

This is the first LE to include the inner side art, which is a step in the right direction. (EDIT) Forgot about BM 66 LE @ ~$10K

#2676 2 years ago

hjv (resized).jpg

#2677 2 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

I'm a young 30s guy that just started collecting pins about 2 years ago, so I'm not familiar on the history of other pin releases in terms of code completion as I never really followed reveals on message boards before then. I own all Sterns, but at the end of the day, I'm a fan of pinball regardless of who puts the game out.
Stern's business model seems to be going the way a lot of PC game developers have gone over the past few years. Present a product that is in its early stage release and sell that to the public. How many games does that make that are currently out in which the code isn't finished? After watching for a couple of minutes last night, I just can't justify buying this game. I can't justify my NIB purchases to be incomplete games regardless of what the theme is. I hope that it does come along in development and I can add it to my lineup.
That being said, other companies out there, there's a massive gap in the market right now for a pin company to have a release ready game that is properly marketed from the get-go. Please, someone, step up.

"Seems to be going?"... a plain and simple "has gone, long ago, " fits much better.

You want release ready games? JJP Dialed In... Spooky TNA.

#2678 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

"Seems to be going?"... a plain and simple "has gone, long ago, " fits much better.
You want release ready games? JJP Dialed In... Spooky TNA.

Problem is that they are not ready at release. Stern is the only one that within a month of taking orders give or take 2 weeks is shipping games in mass quantity. Other companies simply can't make games at anything that resembles the rate of stern. That's not a negative against them but if someone is looking to buy a game right now it will be several months before they can have either POTC or TNA. Sure they can get DI, WOZ, or TH, but most people want what's new and fresh and those games were all announced over 1+ year for DI, 3+ for TH, 5+ for WOZ. Until another company can say here's the game, shipping in mass in 4 weeks, stern will continue to dominate the market as people do not like waiting. People will have already played GOTG for months and sold them on the secondary market while they are waiting on other companies to finish their order back logs.

#2679 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Ps. Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb. Augh.

yep, right there with "Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga. Ooga-chaka Ooga-Ooga"

you would have thought that stern learned their lesson with the mustang pro's only having 4 licensed tracks that repeated ad nauseam ( vs the 8 of the premiums and LEs). nope, instead they doubled down to make you sick of hearing the licensed music twice as fast
it kind of makes you wish that there was no licensed music

great job jack with the stream. nice to see that the game plays nice and fast and smooth (john did another great job with the layout). personally, I was waiting for the rest of you guys to pull up folding chairs when zack started crushing it

#2680 2 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Lonnie has a pretty good track record with code updates, though, doesn't he? (As opposed to some of the other coders)

Uh, no. Unless this is sarcasm. What you get around launch is usually pretty much it.

#2681 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

So, after 50+ pages of posts, the general consensus from what I've read:
From those that have actually played GOTG in person: "This game is fantastic, the shots are smooth and fast, the sounds are great, it's a heck of a lot of fun, I can't wait to see where they take this game. I really liked playing it."
From those that watched pixels flicker on and off of a screen: "This game stinks! I'm mean, sure it has phenomenal art, a fantastic layout, fast shots, a drop target, a magnet(s), physical ball lock, real backglass (LE), and licensed songs we cried for, but what the hell, where are the callouts that we've been told are coming?"
The stream may have been a little underwhelming in the custom callout department and a lack of complete theme integration with lighting and video at this point, but I'm going to wait to reserve judgement until I play it first hand and get my own idea of the game and where it is going to go code wise.
Ps. Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb. Augh.

I've played it and own it. I cannot see how it is remotely good. It has art and shots, but no call outs or code make it pointless. An EM machine at least has sounds that indicate something is going on.

#2682 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Using other games like BM66 and SW as a baseline, .65 is maybe a year away from 1.0?
Rob

Doubt it. I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least to 1.0 by Spring. Lonnie's doing some low-level Spike system work, but I don't think he's spread as thin as Lyman and his code is A> probably based on KISS/Aerosmith, and B> simpler.

#2683 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I've played it and own it. I cannot see how it is remotely good. It has art and shots, but no call outs or code make it pointless. An EM machine at least has sounds that indicate something is going on.

Why did you buy a game you don’t like?

#2684 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

You saved me money!!!

#2685 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I think Stern's problem with the LCDs is they really aren't using them very well. The displays just aren't that well designed. The stuff JJP does with the display is gorgeous. Stern's attempts so far are ... not. I'm no graphic designer, so I can't really speak to what they should do different -- just as an end user, what they've done so far is ... meh. If they were amazing, I think you'd have less of a 'I miss the DMD' feeling.

Quoted from T-800:

That's interesting - I agree and disagree at the same time if that's possible?? I agree JJP's displays look fantastic and they seem to be really well integrated but for the life of me I have a hard time really seeing the content that I want to see. STERN's displays seem very generic so far and I agree definitely lack the "wow" factor in presentation, however I fully believe the important information and content right now on STERN's displays is much easier to read at a quick glance. Not sure if you can have a happy medium between the two because they seem a little bit mutually exclusive. I guess time will tell as both JJP and STERN advance their understanding of their own displays and leverage feedback from players/customers.

I get where both are you are coming from. JJP's LCDs are amazingly well done and integrated into the game's theme but there's so much going on that it's just information overload. stern on the other hand, it seems hasn't mastered the balance of what can be conveyed and their results end up looking bare bones comparatively (sort of like trying to draw a work of art and JJP using photoshop & illustrator and stern is using microsoft paint)

the strangest part is that on a game like aerosmith where you've got all of that real estate to work with, they chose to use that really hard-to-read stylized font and on top, made it really tiny for the scores

#2686 2 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

You saved me money!!!

I'm really on the fence about cancelling my order now on this. It's unfortunate because I love the theme.

#2687 2 years ago
Quoted from Ryanx0r:

I'm really on the fence about cancelling my order now on this. It's unfortunate because I love the theme.

You can always circle back in a year when the code is substantially better (or pass when it's still crap). Spend your money on a game with code that's fun right now. There are tons of options.

#2688 2 years ago

I'm just a new guy here, I only have money and room for 1 machine at a time currently. Right now, that's an Rbion. I almost decided to sell it and go in on a Guardians pro. I have to say, id be upset if i recieved a somewhat completed/playable machine for 5.5k. I understand updates and such, but it appears this game isnt ready for sale to the public.

#2689 2 years ago
Quoted from Scribbles:

I'm just a new guy here, I only have money and room for 1 machine at a time currently. Right now, that's an Rbion. I almost decided to sell it and go in on a Guardians pro. I have to say, id be upset if i recieved a somewhat completed/playable machine for 5.5k. I understand updates and such, but it appears this game isnt ready for sale to the public.

Why preorder a game you never played? When gamers have an issue with a $60 game being half assed how is it that non operators will quickly preorder a game that costs $6000?

#2690 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

You can always circle back in a year when the code is substantially better (or pass when it's still crap). Spend your money on a game with code that's fun right now. There are tons of options.

I'm thinking maybe a Dialed In LE instead since we love our WoZ.

#2691 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

This is the first LE to include the inner side art, which is a step in the right direction.

Batman66 LE came with inner side art. It also came with a shaker and a topper which isnt always included on LE's but is was also the most expensive LE they've done.

#2692 2 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Yeah, I think most can understand just how well done the "Everything is alright" (WOZ) film & audio clip are, with awesome integration of them into the game, fitting animation, graphic design, timing and original sound effects.

Things this game completely lacks.

Good point, well made.

#2693 2 years ago
Quoted from Blindseer:

Why preorder a game you never played? When gamers have an issue with a $60 game being half assed how is it that non operators will quickly preorder a game that costs $6000?

Why? Because I'm getting a bit tired of my Rbion. There's no place near me to try out new games, no conventions I'm aware of in my area, so if I want a new or new to me game in my home, I have to take a leap of faith to some degree. So, why Guardians as opposed to another time tested title? Well, I loved the movies, some of my favorites, so I fell in love with the machine on sight. I'm just saying, I'd be disappointed if I received a rushed product for almost 6k of my hard earned cash.

#2694 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

We had people placing orders on Star Wars while the code was literally burning out node boards. Why? Why are we supporting such lazy product development? There's absolutely no reason to do this anymore.

Lazy? I can say that you are blatantly wrong concerning Star Wars.

Rob

#2695 2 years ago

I thought it looked cool, but far from done. I think it really needs another 6 months to be "there" y'know?

#2696 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Why did you buy a game you don’t like?

That's easy as I love Jon Borg designs and the theme. I just did not expect a box of lights.

#2697 2 years ago
Quoted from Scribbles:

Why? Because I'm getting a bit tired of my Rbion. There's no place near me to try out new games, no conventions I'm aware of in my area, so if I want a new or new to me game in my home, I have to take a leap of faith to some degree. So, why Guardians as opposed to another time tested title? Well, I loved the movies, some of my favorites, so I fell in love with the machine on sight. I'm just saying, I'd be disappointed if I received a rushed product for almost 6k of my hard earned cash.

Ashville's less than 2 hours away and they have a pin museum with AC/DC, Batman'66, Game of Thrones, KISS, Ghostbusters and other newer Sterns mixed in with the old ones. Why not play there to make a decision? Seems like a cheap way to figure it out.

#2698 2 years ago

Yoko2una
You do not like me I get it. I don't care. Yes I thanked stern for giving us what will be a good game at a decent price. Same token thanked JJP for giving us Dialed in. I'm not one sided. Not a fanboy. Not even a boy perhaps that is what you want me to be. I would get that checked out if I were you

I like all manufactures as stated in dozens of posts. However you seem to have a big problem with some. You and a few of you buddies can go (play pinball) Yes its a metaphor. I know it's a tricky word but perhaps Google can help you with understanding
it's meaning.

JJPOTC will be a great game!
Thanks JJP

GOTG will be a great game!
Thanks Stern

#2699 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

That's easy as I love Jon Borg designs and the theme. I just did not expect a box of lights.

It'll get there. It probably won't ever have the depth of Metallica or AC/DC, but it will be a complete package. Aerosmith is a good example of what you'll end up with, except for with a FAR BETTER theme. Hopefully it comes together quickly.

#2700 2 years ago

Looks and plays just like Metallica, with a drop target in front of snake.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
There are 4260 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 86.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside