2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,260 posts
  • 503 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mnluz
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 392 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CDC61D8B-FD6A-4D64-A69E-01294E9E947B (resized).png
ED493CEB-E58E-4946-97C9-FCCE99E36547 (resized).jpeg
F119E176-AD5E-4740-8FF9-BD0F26A2515A (resized).jpeg
61CCCECE-2607-4D17-96C7-E30F907A1F0D (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3864 (resized).jpg
Jam (resized).png
2A4B0C7A-AF2B-44C4-A323-A95C678D5DC6 (resized).jpeg
50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

There are 4260 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 86.
#2551 2 years ago
Quoted from extendo:

We need a graph dammit !

Of what? I already did one with the number of machines that shipped with less than 1.00 code at launch. There were only two in the modern Stern era going back 8 years, and they both shipped within the last year. Pretty sure this is the third in just the last 12 months (the ONLY 3 games in that 8 year period), but verification from that person that got theirs already is needed. It's making a really doom-y trendline, that's for sure.

#2552 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

but verification from that person that got theirs already is needed

Was verified as .65

#2553 2 years ago

yeah it makes sense for drinks because lite means fewer calories.
but not for lights...
anyway, its not important

#2554 2 years ago

I Feel like ever since stern introduced the lcd thats where all the emphasis has been put instead of on the playfield and code where it sld be. Anyone else kinda feel this way? After all its a mechanical game which is y its stood the test of time.... not a movie.

#2555 2 years ago

Also imo the video has confirmed that the shots are very very similar to met and the ball seems to play the same as my met pro. Ball hits groot and comes back similar to sparky, scoop and ramps seem same and even the uppost in back acts the same.

#2556 2 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Lets put it this way, I show the game with all the designers and programmers in a controlled environment first, with answerable questions and updates on whats coming, or some rando at a bar shows off their test game first with questionable quality and that's your first real look.

Except that our first real look was from various randos at IAAPA last week.

(Not attacking you, Jack. I appreciated the stream. Just joking around )

#2557 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Except that our first real look was from various randos at IAAPA last week.
(Not attacking you, Jack. I appreciated the stream. Just joking around )

<3 <3

#2558 2 years ago

Jack, sorry to be a bummer about your stream, it looked great, your whole game is stepped up and slick, Stern is lucky to have you do these.

The game just isn’t done enough to be shipping. It’s that simple. Stern’s schedules and rushing things out the door and whatever else, that’s not our problem.

I was kinda part of a pinball company for a bit. I gained new appreciation for trying to be careful about being personal. Empathizing with the people doing the work.

But I also feel like when companies f— up it’s not helpful to be quiet. I think when games are late it can warrant some patience. When games ship too early, unfinished, that should be called out. You should face backlash and not freaking do it because it pisses people off.

They can’t charge this much money for a broken half ass product. No company should get away with it. EA had to eat shit over their Star Wars greed, people got mad and they damn well paid attention.

Games should not ship like this.

#2559 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

new pinball is sure a downer right now.

Really? Where were you 5 years ago?

We got Lawlor's Dialed In shipping, Pirates of the Caribbean from New-Meu at shows, Total Nuclear Annihilation going into homes, Alice Cooper’s Nightmare Castle coming soon, Houdini on the line, P3 shipping with 5 games, the Big Lebowski and Alien getting back on track, and...Thunderbirds and Olympic Goblin...

So much goodness right now, cheer up.

#2560 2 years ago

PLONK!

#2561 2 years ago

I have to be honest, that stream was hard to watch. I had enough after 10 minutes. No offence to Jack...you did the best you could with what you were given. Hard to believe people are already taking delivery of this game in this condition. There’s no way it should be shipping this year. I’ll be waiting a year before even thinking about buying it.

#2562 2 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Game companies show off beta releases all the time. This is no different.

But you aren't supposed to still be on beta code after you've launched the product and shipped it.

This isn't a preview... the game is in production and shipping. Stern once again can't deliver a complete product at launch.

#2563 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

But you aren't supposed to still be on beta code after you've launched the product and shipped it.
This isn't a preview... the game is in production and shipping. Stern once again can't deliver a complete product at launch.

3 for 4 nowhere near 1.00 at launch in the last 12 months. That's lame.

#2564 2 years ago

<3

Some people use this as a heart, but those people are wrong. It is clearly a ballsack.

(Sorry Jack, I had to look this up & that's what it came up as )

#2565 2 years ago

My opinions on new games, skip if you don’t give a f—

Thunderbirds looks awful. Sorry. But it does. And he doesn’t want to sell to us anyways.

Alien and TBL are shit shows until the owners can prove otherwise and ship games regularly and take care of people with money in. Hope they do. Show and prove though.

JJP is doing great work for more money than I will spend on a pinball.

P3 is a cool tech that hasn’t been turned into anything compelling yet for the price. For me, you might disagree. I see P3 like this: It’s all about potential and I don’t see a viable business model for 3rd parties. You don’t develop for a console without an install base to sell to. Pinball is too much work to give it away. You need sales to make it viable.

Houdini has Rosh. That gives me great confidence in the final product. Haven’t played one yet. Company needs to prove themselves still. Curious about their future, when they’re not so rushed like they were to drop Jpop.

Spooky is great, I hope Alice Cooper rocks. I feel like they still need to prove some things too, when it comes to in-house game design and really competing with the other games at that price point. But regardless, without an unveiling it’s as nebulous as the next Elvira game, not a factor until we see it. I hope it looks great.

Stern hasn’t grabbed me with a game since Metallica. I thought Star Trek but sold it pretty fast. I’d love for them to do it, I kept 3 Sterns when I downsized my collection, not a hater. But I don’t buy just okay for $6000whatever. I wish for their success. But shipping beta code that raw? What is going on? That shouldn’t be accepted as normal. Especially when they have Batman 66 and it’s code issues, still. Why trust them?

TNA is the only thing I’m actually excited about right now in new pinball. F— paying all this money for anything less than awesome.

#2566 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My opinions on new games, skip if you don’t give a f—
Thunderbirds looks awful. Sorry. But it does. And he doesn’t want to sell to us anyways.
Alien and TBL are shit shows until the owners can prove otherwise and ship games regularly and take care of people with money in. Hope they do. Show and prove though.
JJP is doing great work for more money than I will spend on a pinball.
P3 is a cool tech that hasn’t been turned into anything compelling yet for the price. For me, you might disagree. I see P3 like this: It’s all about potential and I don’t see a viable business model for 3rd parties. You don’t develop for a console without an install base to sell to. Pinball is too much work to give it away. You need sales to make it viable.
Houdini has Rosh. That gives me great confidence in the final product. Haven’t played one yet. Company needs to prove themselves still. Curious about their future, when they’re not so rushed like they were to drop Jpop.
Spooky is great, I hope Alice Cooper rocks. I feel like they still need to prove some things too, when it comes to in-house game design and really competing with the other games at that price point. But regardless, without an unveiling it’s as nebulous as the next Elvira game, not a factor until we see it. I hope it looks great.
Stern hasn’t grabbed me with a game since Metallica. I thought Star Trek but sold it pretty fast. I’d love for them to do it, I kept 3 Sterns when I downsized my collection, not a hater. But I don’t buy just okay for $6000whatever. I wish for their success. But shipping beta code that raw? What is going on? That shouldn’t be accepted as normal. Especially when they have Batman 66 and it’s code issues, still. Why trust them?
TNA is the only thing I’m actually excited about right now in new pinball. F— paying all this money for anything less than awesome.

And Olympic Goblin?

#2567 2 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Did you miss tonight's stream of Guardians of the Galaxy?!
Here is the broadcast, backed up to Youtube!
Thanks for watching!

thank you for this video !!!

#2568 2 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

thank you for this video !!!

saved many people alot of money

#2569 2 years ago

Wish there was more commentary, but I haven't gone thru archived feed yet.

At least there are plenty of movie clips.

Interesting. There is a fake dot matrix skill shot animation (Dot Faketrix?)

Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 4.56.01 AM (resized).png

#2570 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Thanks, how do you feel about it so far.

I think its unplayable as is. Played three games and I have no desire to turn it on. It should not have been released like this.

I almost said no to buying, but gave in when I could get one do soon. The people hyping it got me excited. I'm so not happy about that decision as the code is like BM66 and X-men at release. Its probably the worst code shipped on a game ever. It is that bad.

#2571 2 years ago

So, yet again it comes down to CODE.

Will it be good?

Will it be finished?

Have to say it just seems better all round to wait a year or two.

#2572 2 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, yet again it comes down to CODE.
Will it be good?
Will it be finished?
Have to say it just seems better all round to wait a year or two.

I just watched some of Deadflip and more BS. Why would they deactivate the call outs? My game has version 0.65 on it and seems to have less than what was shown on Dead Flip.

If Stern has call outs, they should post code up ASAP. I'm calling them out on this one big time.

#2573 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I mean, I feel you, but that kind of overlooks the worst part, which isn't that they let it on stream like this (and none of this is your fault of course, you rolled with it as best you could I'm sure) but that they're SHIPPING like this.
Like, even in my most "haha let's make fun of Stern" mood I wouldn't think they'd do this. If I unboxed the game and it was like this I'd be pretty pissed. What the hell is going on with pinball now? Prices keep keep going up and what we get for it just seems like more and more of a joke.
Like the garbage ass prototype Aliens at Expo last year that were half assed and broken to shit had 500x more code than this. This isn't even demo in controlled environment ready, and they're shipping to people who are shelling out over 5 grand for the privilege?
I dunno what to even say. Thank goodness I'm hyped for my Total Nuclear Annihilation, new pinball is sure a downer right now.

You can still buy a pinball "new" when it's 1-2 years on the market and you're not buying blindfolded.

#2574 2 years ago

I hate to be the first one to say "They told me so." But..."they told me so."

C'MON CODE UPDATES

#2575 2 years ago

I don’t feel sorry for those who bought this game already and is being shipped. Rinse and repeat. That stream was hard to watch. I own three sterns and love the titles I have, but man lately....

#2576 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

What's wrong, jgentry? Sorry, but Groot was a much better character in the first movie....hopefully this game ignores GOTG 2, because Baby Groot was nothing more than a moronic butt of all the jokes. At ANY rate, Groot was easily the worst part of both movies. Would rather see physical Drax, Gamora, Starlord figures than a giant stupid tree head.
Magnets is great. Been way too long since Stern has used magnets without cores or plates over them.... here's hoping.
*Edit* Hell, I'd even take Yondu over Groot.

LOL, Frax I gave you a thumbs up. Not because I feel ya, but I feel sorry for all the negative press in this post. I thought the movie was ok, but I just hope it’s fun and doesn’t take a kick in the tree nuts like every pin on here does. By the way, if you own a pinball machine, your game sucks. Sorry, that was for all the ones who have never owned a machine and played it in a bar once and their opinion is the only thing that matters. So, now they are the price police. Now Frax, isn’t it a least a little cool the a tree is growing out of the wood? I mean yes it’s another toy box that spits out multi-ball but it’s a tree. I know the think out side the box concept isn’t there but hey it’s a tree. I on the other hand, can’t wait to play it. Frex I’ll be in Dallas for thanksgiving don’t make me come smack you...lol have a great one!

#2577 2 years ago

it’s a good thing that Lonnie seems to pump the code out quickly. I bet this gets to 1.0 before Batman 66. All of the call outs will be in there soon.

#2578 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don't think we are wrong. The days of talking Rudy and Ted heads are history. How great it could have been with Groot?

Would be cool but only prob is all he would say is i am or we are groot.

#2579 2 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Would be cool but only prob is all he would say is i am or we are groot.

Only needs to be used occasionally to be steller. Like at the beginning of multi ball.

#2580 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I think its unplayable as is. Played three games and I have no desire to turn it on. It should not have been released like this.
I almost said no to buying, but gave in when I could get one do soon. The people hyping it got me excited. I'm so not happy about that decision as the code is like BM66 and X-men at release. Its probably the worst code shipped on a game ever. It is that bad.

Wow! Sorry man. Hopefully it CODES fast for you!

#2581 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Sorry you dont like it, gotta be a real bummer to get excited to get a new game, set it up play 3 games and turn it off and walk away. I watched about 10 min of deadflip last night and while game looks promising I cant believe there shipping games to buyers with beta code. I was looking to buy this for my first nib pin but now think I will have time to save more money.

#2582 2 years ago

I've noticed that Aerosmith and GOTG have nearly the same code structure. A set of 8 or so missions, couple multiballs and 2 wizard modes with the same qualifiers on each game. There's nothing wrong with that but AS and GOTG don't appear to offer the same variety in terms of code depth and unique modes compared to other modern Sterns.

It's almost as if Stern is trying to make 2 of their titles per year (AS and GOTG for 2017) games that they can crank out super fast with smaller / similar rulesets. Star Wars, Batman 66 and GB all come across as having more code depth with more unique modes.

Just an observation.

#2583 2 years ago

I wonder how Dead Flip felt about playing a pin with no code vs the time he spent with total nuclear annihilation ?

#2584 2 years ago

Lonnie has a pretty good track record with code updates, though, doesn't he? (As opposed to some of the other coders)

#2585 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I've noticed that Aerosmith and GOTG have nearly the same code structure. A set of 8 or so missions, couple multiballs and 2 wizard modes with the same qualifiers on each game. There's nothing wrong with that but AS and GOTG don't appear to offer the same variety in terms of code depth and unique modes compared to other modern Sterns.
It's almost as if Stern is trying to make 2 of their titles per year (AS and GOTG for 2017) games that they can crank out super fast with smaller / similar rulesets. Star Wars, Batman 66 and GB all come across as having more code depth with more unique modes.
Just an observation.

Code looks so similar to AS. Couldn't really own both.

#2586 2 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Lonnie has a pretty good track record with code updates, though, doesn't he? (As opposed to some of the other coders)

Not really. You get a couple in the firstfew months and then it's years if you get another one.

#2587 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Not really. You get a couple in the firstfew months and then it's years if you get another one.

Well hank, i'll be in the same boat as you in a few hours, a skeleton of a game that looks pretty.

Let's go out for a beer and drown our sorrows.

#2588 2 years ago

I can only assume that the rumours about Guardians being pushed forward due to the Trudeau issues are true.

This game still LOOKS stunning, awesome art that shows even when the studio gives you limited images you can still create a beautiful game.
The flow in the stream seemed very strong - yes, the layout is similar to many other games BUT the games it's similar to (Metallica, Iron Man etc.) are all great shooters!
Whilst the clip integration is currently piss poor, the clips look good on the LCD.
Game rules, while familiar, seem solid.

This will be a top 20 game eventually...but I'd give it at least a year. No callouts or much of anything as far as the software is concerned is a major issue...but out of art, flow, layout, theme and code, code is the ONLY ASPECT that can be corrected once the game has been released, so Stern could still turn it around. I still see myself owning this game within the next 3 years.

#2589 2 years ago

Well my Pro is on it's way and I am excited about it. I bought the Pro because of the art and the layout. I knew the code would probably be beta, but I know that it will be polished eventually and as long as there are no mechanical issues from factory I am good. I am actually looking forward to riding the code roller coaster and I enjoy the changes and progression of code development. I loved my X-MEN even with beta code and now it is stellar with the polished code. Talking about code development and offering suggestions gives me satisfaction. For the money of the Pro I feel like I am not taking much of a risk going in blind. If it does not appeal to me I can dump it. I have a feeling it will become a great title, not for just the art but for the fast flowing gameplay.

#2590 2 years ago

I'm waiting to see IF the code gets finished.....then maybe I'll buy one.....maybe

#2591 2 years ago

Thanks for the stream Dead Flip!

It was cool to confirm that the layout is good. I just hope we see some movement on the code. I want to buy this game badly, but can’t until I see a complete package.

#2592 2 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Still waiting for final KISS update. 2 years, 5 months so far. Still no Champion awards.

AS. Last update was March. So, maybe finished in 2018.

GOTG is a hybrid of above, so it maybe quicker....

#2593 2 years ago

Wow, whoever at stern that has the power to make things change really should be seeking the advise of their customers. You just can't show something like this. They hurt sales with this stream. I'm sure with the Trudeau mess they are scrambling and trying to get a game out before the end of the year to meet sales goals but this is not helping them. They should have kept the line pumping with the game and had a stock pile of pro's, premiums, and LE's ready to ship and not released anything at all until the code was in the right place.

Who all would be buying if on Dec 11th stern announced the game had Deadflip record a bad ass video with 1.0 code that has all of the modes in, most of the call outs, and proper music and movie clip integration? Why did they not just wait on the release, have everything ready, have games in boxes, have Jack record the weekend before in secret. Drop everything at once with a giant bang, and oh, by the way, call you distro now and have your game in 2 days, pro's, premiums, and LE's are in boxes waiting for your Christmas order. Merry Christmas from stern and make sure you update your code first thing upon unboxing as we have blown the code out of the box since these were on the line.

#2594 2 years ago
Quoted from Medieval_Gofers:

I can only assume that the rumours about Guardians being pushed forward due to the Trudeau issues are true.

I keep wondering why. Are they so strung up for money that they HAVE to keep the lines going ? I competely get that when they are not producing, no money flows into the comnpany but in the long term releasing games too early or with too many problems will destroy their business. I for one will not buy one, as opposed to 18 months ago I would have ordered it at release.

Thanks to Deadflip for the great stream. Nice job ! Too bad the subject you had to stream was so mediocre.

#2595 2 years ago

Of course they could change their business model from 3 games a year to Two, or one, but to stay open, in the form that they have,
Pro Prices would rise 25%-35% from where they are, or we would see only Premium games, with an average price higher too.

If they did this, what would be our mass outcry?

Certainly the best solution is to add a "Team" of coders, to keep all things on track.
Not sure why this isnt done.....

#2596 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

add a "Team" of coders

I was thinking the same thing, what if Stern implemented an internship program with one of the local institutes? Get some greenhorns in there to lend a hand

#2597 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Not sure why this isnt done.....

Maybe because then they have to increase their prices 25-30% ?

edit: anyway you look at it, the only way to make things better is if Stern would make more costs. It does not matter if they do it by hiring more people or releasing less machines. It looks that they just cannot keep pace with the new production line as it stands now. Design goes ok, production goes ok but finishing the code falls behind more and more even when they do not need to draw all the dots anymore.

#2598 2 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Maybe because then they have to increase their prices 25-30% ?

They already did that

So were is the damn code???

#2599 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

They already did that
So were is the damn code???

Yes, likely as one looks at the numbers of the New factory, and a reasonable ROI.

I have approached Gary a couple times about a simple "Suggestion Box" online.
I even volunteered myself for Free help.
Other than theme, a contest for features, toys, unique play, ideas, in general.
Winner(s) get a Free Game!
Stern gets Intelligent, Quality ideas from Thousands of Inputs!
Add some coders and I think, or hope most all of our complaints would change, and some
Brilliant ideas could come to life!

In 5 years of Pinside, 45 in Pinball, a lifetime of conversations....Pinheads are pretty damn smart,
and have some great ideas.....why not hear them?

#2600 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Wow, whoever at stern that has the power to make things change really should be seeking the advise of their customers. You just can't show something like this. They hurt sales with this stream. I'm sure with the Trudeau mess they are scrambling and trying to get a game out before the end of the year to meet sales goals but this is not helping them. They should have kept the line pumping with the game and had a stock pile of pro's, premiums, and LE's ready to ship and not released anything at all until the code was in the right place.
Who all would be buying if on Dec 11th stern announced the game had Deadflip record a bad ass video with 1.0 code that has all of the modes in, most of the call outs, and proper music and movie clip integration? Why did they not just wait on the release, have everything ready, have games in boxes, have Jack record the weekend before in secret. Drop everything at once with a giant bang, and oh, by the way, call you distro now and have your game in 2 days, pro's, premiums, and LE's are in boxes waiting for your Christmas order. Merry Christmas from stern and make sure you update your code first thing upon unboxing as we have blown the code out of the box since these were on the line.

Yeah, try Dec. 11, 2018.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 4260 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 86.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside