50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

There are 4,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 86.
#2351 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

R u for real? honestly this comment is just complete bullshit. No comparison

I'm not talking about whether you like the content or not, I'm talking strictly about the presentation and art direction. And yes, that's for real.

#2352 6 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Ugh. Aren't there other threads for stroking JJP?

JJP has problems in other areas I can talk about at length, too. This conversation is about art direction, and JJP clearly has someone overseeing their UI that knows about consistency in presentation. That's all.

#2353 6 years ago

Got to Play Guardians LE & Pro, I thought the Pro played better, but they both looked great in person.

IMG_5723 (resized).JPGIMG_5723 (resized).JPG

IMG_5722 (resized).JPGIMG_5722 (resized).JPG

IMG_5728 (resized).JPGIMG_5728 (resized).JPG

#2354 6 years ago
Quoted from SDAmusements:

Got to Play Guardians LE & Pro, I thought the Pro played better, but they both looked great in person.

How come the pro played better?

#2355 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

As a programmer and systems engineer in charge of various projects throughout my career, I would imagine the misunderstanding is they have 4.5 months to do the actual coding/programming for a particular game. However, before that time starts you have to do the design of the framework, the rules, the data types, and do all of the work on the lower level routines (think coining, hardware drivers, video drivers, support new hardware, new node firmware, upgrade routines etc). All of that support work must be done by the team(s) also; most likely while the game is being designed.

As a retired game programmer who wrote on platforms from the TRaSh-80 Model I to the GE Mark III, I call BS - for each platform, the "framework" and "data types" and "lower level routines" were written _the first time_ on that platform, and then 98% cut-and-pasted for each additional game.

Within a company, if you're not sharing all that code between coders, you're all freakin' idiots.

#2356 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It makes a big difference. You can only see the Joker laughing in the same clip so many times...

Lots more variety of clips with the latest code. An advantage Batman has over Guardians is 120 episodes of content to choose from vs 2 hours. It will be hard not to be repetitve with Guardians LCD if they just rely on clips.

Stern needs to get creative with additional graphics, transitions, animations, overlays, etc to integrate with the video clips to make them more immersive with gameplay action.

#2357 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It makes a big difference. You can only see the Joker laughing in the same clip so many times...

That's the problem with B66 - most people made up their mind after playing pre-beta code from a few months ago.

#2358 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

How come the pro played better?

They both played great to us.
However Tuesday and Wednesday we preferred the Pro only because the volume was cranked up and the Premium was almost silent.
Today they turned up the Premium finally, and it was a blast to play.

#2359 6 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

They both played great to us.
However Tuesday and Wednesday we preferred the Pro only because the volume was cranked up and the Premium was almost silent.
Today they turned up the Premium finally, and it was a blast to play.

Do the Groot hands block your view of the ramps and orbits that you are shooting at?

#2360 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Do the Groot hands block your view of the ramps and orbits that you are shooting at?

Only a small ammount on the right ramp.
Left side is good.
But you can just make out the entrance to the right ramp through the fingers.

#2361 6 years ago

The must have accessory for LE owners:

60A89B93-B960-43A0-BD0F-84116F54D5BE (resized).jpeg60A89B93-B960-43A0-BD0F-84116F54D5BE (resized).jpeg

#2363 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

and it's only the same price as a stern topper!
ebay.com link » Upper Deck Marvel Guardians Of The Galaxy Chris Pratt Autograph Card Star Lord

I would take it over the Stern topper, compared to some of Sterns previous topper efforts the GOTG topper is lame and looks like sometning made in a high school design class.

Same gold as the LE armour, the Adam West card on my BM66 is a nice touch adds a little something extra to the LE package.

#2364 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm not talking about whether you like the content or not, I'm talking strictly about the presentation and art direction. And yes, that's for real.

Neither was I, its still bullshit but to each his own. SW which is the game I have the most time on has very impressive animations and clips, WOZ and DI do nothing for me, TH is impressive with regards to whats happening on the screen and POTC well considering there aren't any clips from the films with the actors at least head on or whatever the justification is where is this large divide in presentation and art direction? just asking.

#2365 6 years ago

I should post my GOTG for trade while it's still in transit and see what kind of hate I get. Some of the hate mail I've gotten so far have been fun reads, so one can only imagine what kind of words I'd get in a situation like this.

(I love you guys. For those of you that met me at GOGX or in person you know I'm not the demon some folks make me out to be just because I like trading games.)

On a more serious note, I can't wait! Should be streaming it next week!

#2366 6 years ago

The thing I Really like about GOTG is that it could make it easier to get a JJPotc since people might back out of their pre orders and go with GOTG Instead!

I haven't see the GOTG film so I have no attachment to the theme (other than the soundtrack which doesn't seem to be included anyway.)

To be fair I had never seen a POTC film until recently - my interest was piqued after the game reveal. The film did absolutely nothing for me, but I really liked the game play I saw and hope to play a prototype before placing an order.

I like the Star wars films (and even created a star wars spoof film for a client) but the game left me dry.

I guess my point is that the source of the theme isn't as important to me as the execution.

#2367 6 years ago

Back on the subject of callouts, I think the movie clips should have most of the actor sound, but I think the callouts should be done by John C Reilly. He rules. And it would be thematic.

#2368 6 years ago

Also, how do you start modes if you complete a mode during the ball? Scoop?

Edit: I'm kind of concerned about Groot's lower jaw...won't the ball pounding it scratch it/dent it/etc terribly almost immediately?

#2369 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Edit: I'm kind of concerned about Groot's lower jaw...won't the ball pounding it scratch it/dent it/etc terribly almost immediately?

The sculpting of his mouth seems really solid so I’m not worried about it. Rudy’s jaws held up pretty well. Just needed some lipstick after billions of plays usually. Also I’m sure you could get a replacement down the road if one on route got beat up. But for home use, I’m sure it will be fine long term.

#2370 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

I just want to know for certain if groot is going to talk, admittedly it’s only going to be “I am Groot” but still kinda cool if it’s sinked up to the jaw moving.

Like chuck says the mouth looks really solid, so not much worry there, could always put some Mylar or cling vinyl on it if it really worries you.

#2371 6 years ago

Looks like the manual has been added to the Stern site - http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/guardians-of-the-galaxy/pro/Guardians_Pro_web.pdf

My distributor said they should be arriving (to him) very soon!

#2372 6 years ago

Ordered a pro yesterday and was told to expect it sometime next week! Can't wait.

#2373 6 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Pretty sure all Sterns say 250 lbs. Don't rely on that too much.

Now the manual says 210 pounds! Apparently the pin is on a diet.

#2374 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

I always buy a back up for high wear parts like that and not worry about it. Then you can play the hell out of your game and know you can get it back to mint at any time.

#2375 6 years ago

Looks like a fun game though - can't wait to actually play one and see how it shoots and feels.

#2376 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Back on the subject of callouts, I think the movie clips should have most of the actor sound, but I think the callouts should be done by John C Reilly. He rules. And it would be thematic.

IMG_2345 (resized).JPGIMG_2345 (resized).JPG

#2377 6 years ago

This would look cool in front of the game! Doormat!!

https://us.zavvi.com/soft-furnishings/marvel-guardians-of-the-galaxy-awesome-mix-doormat/11496954.html

11496954-1184496501574690 (resized).jpg11496954-1184496501574690 (resized).jpg

#2378 6 years ago

Well at least we know why it wasn't at expo. It wasn't ready yet. Looks like the rules are mostly in but the video and sounds have a long way to go which is a little disappointing. Game has a ton of potential though and the art and toys look great. One thing I found really funny was some of the people complaining about the layout being to similar to MET own 2 or all three of AFM, MM, and MB. Sometimes good things only keep getting better.

#2379 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Well at least we know why it wasn't at expo. It wasn't ready yet.

and maybe stern learned from last year when they had batman 66, which was on display but not playable

#2380 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

and maybe stern learned from last year when they had batman 66, which was on display but not playable

Maybe so. It's probably much more likely that Trudeau's game was next and just got pushed back after his legal/moral woes. Either way it looks like Borg and Franchi did a great job on this one. Now the programmers need to make it immersive and fun.

#2381 6 years ago

Either they’re sand bagging some code, or they plan on working all weekend cause I don’t think it’ll be a good look to have jack danger stream this with no sound or audio clips. No?

#2382 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Either they’re sand bagging some code, or they plan on working all weekend cause I don’t think it’ll be a good look to have jack danger stream this with no sound or audio clips. No?

I'm guessing they are already a couple of updates ahead of what is on those games at the show. Likely just hasn't been properly tested so they didn't risk updating them yet. At least I hope so, otherwise a lot of people are going to get really tired of hearing cherry bomb really quickly. The amount of audio and video missing is pretty alarming and is going to make a lot of people wait and see on the game, especially if things do lot look at lot further along on the stream coming up.

#2383 6 years ago

Quotes by John C Reilly as Dr Steve Brule would be hilarious.

After a drain or tilt: "What a dingus!"

745479a57d43f6102bd1607da023b8ff--brule-routes (resized).jpg745479a57d43f6102bd1607da023b8ff--brule-routes (resized).jpg

#2384 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Yeah, I agree but I'm not sure what the fix should be.

Rarehero posted up some examples of how they should be doing display work a few months ago, giving examples of an indie video game that was leveraging 3D graphics in a 2D format. I forget the exact game but it was spot on.

JJP does this on Dialed In and it looks amazing. You don't need to do photorealistic 3D rendering on a pinball machine because the screen isn't the primary focus. The disadvantage is that it's a lot more work than just cutting and pasting movie clips.

#2385 6 years ago

So what we’ve realized is we need a john c Reilly pin.

#2386 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmicjim:

For your prinballs.

#2387 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmicjim:

Or just him doing call-outs on a Talladega Nights pin!

"So when you say psychosomatic, you mean like he could start a fire with his thoughts?"

"Shake 'n bake!"

#2388 6 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

"So when you say psychosomatic, you mean like he could start a fire with his thoughts?"
"Shake 'n bake!"

Sounds perfect for the NASCAR Vault Edition!

#2389 6 years ago

walkhard (resized).jpgwalkhard (resized).jpg

#2390 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Sounds perfect for the NASCAR Vault Edition!

My youngest son always wanted a NASCAR pin. That would be the only way I'd get one for him. NASCAR VE: Talladega Nights

#2391 6 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

My youngest son always wanted a NASCAR pin. That would be the only way I'd get one for him. NASCAR VE: Talladega Nights

I would buy the shit out of a Talladega Nights VE

I’d be all over it like a spider monkey

#2392 6 years ago

Here are our first 3 mods for GOTG. Pro plastic protectors, Rocket plastic protector and Flipper Toppers. All will be available at Cointakers and Pinball Life next week.

20171117_151250 (resized).jpg20171117_151250 (resized).jpg

20171117_153406 (resized).jpg20171117_153406 (resized).jpg

20171117_151247 (resized).jpg20171117_151247 (resized).jpg

20171117_152231 (resized).jpg20171117_152231 (resized).jpg

20171117_153406 (resized).jpg20171117_153406 (resized).jpg

#2393 6 years ago

I'm either going to buy SW or GOTG next year for my 50th birthday, so I'm excited to see how both finish up and which is the looking good to me by this time next year. The only thing that would throw me off is if another A+ theme comes out. However, none of the rumored titles so far interest me so I'm probably going with one of these two. My wife will prefer GOTG so here's hoping the code, video, and soundalike call outs don't end up sucking the joy out of the theme.

#2394 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

for my 50th birthday

Quoted from tbanthony:

wife will prefer GOTG

#2395 6 years ago

He’s considerate of his wife. That’s funny?

#2397 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I'm either going to buy SW or GOTG next year for my 50th birthday, so I'm excited to see how both finish up and which is the looking good to me by this time next year. The only thing that would throw me off is if another A+ theme comes out. However, none of the rumored titles so far interest me so I'm probably going with one of these two. My wife will prefer GOTG so here's hoping the code, video, and soundalike call outs don't end up sucking the joy out of the theme.

How about one of each for both of you ?

#2398 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

He’s considerate of his wife. That’s funny?

In light of buying yourself something, yes, I find it slightly amusing to prefer choice A over Choice B JUST because your spouse wants one or the other. I wouldn't buy my wife a black shirt of the same style she requested just because I like black... I know she wants pink. Or something. I don't think it's absurd to not compromise on what you want for something like a birthday present. If she's buying it...then she can make the decision for what game, he's not going to complain either way. If he's buying it for himself, he's free to take that into consideration, because it's a big expensive game, but yeah...I think it's hilarious. The only reason I still own a Metallica is because Quiddity likes it. I got tired of it 2 years ago. But it's HER machine. I'm not going to take it away and replace it with a BSD just because I'd rather have a BSD.

Give and take on both sides is the best approach. Sometimes you let your spouse get something or do something they really want, even if you can't really afford it or if you think it's a stupid purchase or decision, because it makes them happy, and you just stand back and shut up.

#2399 6 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

"Shake 'n bake!"

I think you're on to something. Someone should definitely retheme Nascar to Talladega Nights.

#2400 6 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

Here are our first 3 mods for GOTG. Pro plastic protectors, Rocket plastic protector and Flipper Toppers. All will be available at Cointakers and Pinball Life next week.

Damn those pics are crystal clear, best looking GOTG playfield pics yet!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 50.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Battle Creek, MI
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 4,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 86.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-here/page/48 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.