50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

There are 4,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 86.
#2251 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The modes should trigger a lot of great clips. Ghostbusters aside, Stern hasn't had a license so rich for pulling one liners or sight gags for a while.

I have not seen the answer yet, does Stern have the rights to use audio from the movie?

#2252 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I have not seen the answer yet, does Stern have the rights to use audio from the movie?

I would sure hope so. I think the code is just very placeholder right now. If they can use video clips, it would be super weird to have the audio muted on those though.

#2253 6 years ago

Screenshot_20171115-081157 (resized).pngScreenshot_20171115-081157 (resized).png

#2254 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Today we have better development environments, better software, and better overall resources. Williams didn't need 2-3 years to finish a game, and they were all very unique. I'm legit bothered at the lack of ambition by anybody here.

Programmers had a year to make a game at Williams, and I get the sense that they had a better collaborative work environment with more support all around. They get 3-4 months at Stern, with less organized collaboration & now they have to deal with the extra work of the color LCD. It is what it is.

Quoted from jar155:

They've gone full cookie cutter though. There's no ambition.

They don't give their people TIME to have ambition. At some point they have to say "This is a job. We're making product. OK, so a few people on a forum will insult us...do I want to work all night and weekend to impress forum people, or spend time with my friends and family?".

Stern is basically selling expensive licensed lunch boxes. A few people there are using their own free time to fill those boxes with a gourmet meal. A few people are doing what they're paid to do. I can't fault them for that.

That being said, none of us owe them a dollar if the games aren't appealing to us. My last Stern is Metallica. What I'm saying is - I get why they make a game with cut n paste rules. I respect them as working people who don't want to work for free on their own time. They don't owe us anything. They owe Stern Pinball Inc. a working game on a short deadline. I also respect anyone who doesn't want to buy that type of game.

#2255 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I would sure hope so. I think the code is just very placeholder right now. If they can use video clips, it would be super weird to have the audio muted on those though.

Have there been any clips showing actor's mouths moving? I have only seen action clips so far.

#2256 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

So if it’s a copy/paste of Aerosmith it’s a copy/paste of KISS which means... the song selection bug will be on 3 games + there will be no programmed skill shot + the smart button won’t do shit + the wizard/mini-wizard modes will be nearly impossible & carry little scoring value?

We've already seen in the videos that it's not a direct copy/paste and probably could never be and still work. (Skill shot shown during GOTG gameplay) The baseline will probably be very similar but I'm sure there will be tons of differences and things that will still make GOTG code unique.

#2257 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Programmers had a year to make a game at Williams, and I get the sense that they had a better collaborative work environment with more support all around. They get 3-4 months at Stern, with less organized collaboration & now they have to deal with the extra work of the color LCD. It is what it is.

What do Stern programmers do with the other 8 or 9 months? They only put out 3 games a year and they have more than 3 teams or experienced individuals programming. Shouldn't a game take a year or less to program to completion, especially since they use base code for just about every game to get started toward programming each game's unique features?

#2258 6 years ago

Guardians of the Galaxy Accessories! Interactive topper, side blades, and baby Groot shooter knob

23551273_10155972627519244_5633936890583805205_o (resized).jpg23551273_10155972627519244_5633936890583805205_o (resized).jpg

23549942_10155972628384244_5274578412687384829_o (resized).jpg23549942_10155972628384244_5274578412687384829_o (resized).jpg

23669112_10155972629079244_2694826883040497616_o (resized).jpg23669112_10155972629079244_2694826883040497616_o (resized).jpg

23592459_10155972628304244_3626100564322006368_o (resized).jpg23592459_10155972628304244_3626100564322006368_o (resized).jpg

#2259 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

There are infinite posibilities coding a similar layout. You have 2 programmers with different visions working on this layout. Give it a chance. The LCD/video effects alone will make this a very different game from Metallica. I'd be curious what version of software they are running on the games at IAAPA. That will tell you somewhat how complete the game is at the moment.

I have no problem with this. But I understand why Lyman is not coding this one.
I heard here that gameplay was similar with AS. This game seems to be a best of several pins.
This game might find its place in the market for sure but I just prefer to keep my money to buy something different from what I already own like DI, Wooly Elvira ?

#2260 6 years ago

I kind of like the baby groot shooter handle but the other add ons look very meh. Going to have to do better then that to get more of my money.

#2261 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

What do Stern programmers do with the other 8 or 9 months?

They start on the next game lol.

#2262 6 years ago

We are currently making the Radio for GOTG, hope to have them ready Jan. We started this about a month ago. We will have interactive volt meters with the game.

#2263 6 years ago

Man this game looks SO damn good!! Never seen either of the movies but I really want this machine lolol.

#2264 6 years ago

How about a interactive Walkman topper that looks like it's playing a cassette tape?

#2265 6 years ago

They released guardians accessories but they still have not show the star wars accessories.

#2266 6 years ago

They need to add ramp decals to the accessories store...

I actually have inquired with a distro on availability of these. Will post when I find out.

#2267 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

Man this game looks SO damn good!! Never seen either of the movies but I really want this machine lolol.

Go watch the movies!

#2268 6 years ago

I can see the LE's selling out pretty fast on this one .

Shaping up to be a great game !

#2269 6 years ago

Disco inferno or Saturday Night Fever....?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2270 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The last Batman 66 update was supposedly extremely good from what I hear. There's no excuse for how the game released but from what I hear it's shaping up to be a very good game after this last update.

It felt cheap to me,when I played it at TPF.I guess I’m spoiled to B/W and JJP now since I got Dialed In.

#2271 6 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

It felt cheap to me,when I played it at TPF.I guess I’m spoiled to B/W and JJP now since I got Dialed In.

Your not spoiled, you are just missing out. Stern has numerous really good games. I've never understood the B/W snobs or the stern only people. Can't you just enjoy good pinball.

#2272 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Your not spoiled, you are just missing out. Stern has numerous really good games. I've never understood the B/W snobs or the stern only people. Can't you just enjoy good pinball.

Not a snob just thought Batman 66 felt like there could have been more there,especially for all the hype.I love TWD with pinsound and all the cool mods.I’m older and use a smooth nudge when playing it seems like Sterns are a lot lighter

#2273 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They start on the next game lol.

But, won't that next game be released in a year? I mean, if Lyman works on one for a year, Dwight works on one for a year, and Tanio/Waison/Lonnie work on one for a year until each team gets shifted to the the next title they are assigned? It just seems like there is a disconnect in terms of programming time available vs number of games to be done. Does Stern need a better project manager?
When I was in Consulting Engineering doing building systems design people would be fired if projects were not accomplished in a reasonable time, either managers or engineers.

#2274 6 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Guardians of the Galaxy Accessories! Interactive topper, side blades, and baby Groot shooter knob

Looks great but is anyone else wondering where the hell the Star Wars accessories are?

#2275 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

But, won't that next game be released in a year? I mean, if Lyman works on one for a year, Dwight works on one for a year, and Tanio/Waison/Lonnie work on one for a year until each team gets shifted to the the next title they are assigned? It just seems like there is a disconnect in terms of programming time available vs number of games to be done. Does Stern need a better project manager?

I would guees that they dont all sit down and design everything at the same time. First the layout is designed and built, then the rules are added. They don't happen at the same time. Sure there maybe some overlap in there, but while the designer moves on to the next game, the person doing the rules continues on that game. They dont instantly start working on the next project.

#2276 6 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

I would guees that they dont all sit down and design everything at the same time. First the layout is designed and built, then the rules are added. They don't happen at the same time. Sure there maybe some overlap in there, but while the designer moves on to the next game, the person doing the rules continues on that game. They dont instantly start working on the next project.

The programmers still have at least a year per game based on the number of releases. Writing the rules is part of the programming process.

#2277 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The programmers still have at least a year per game based on the number of releases. Writing the rules is part of the programming process.

Right, my point is that while the designers are creating it, the programmers are not. They probably dont start until its nearly out of the design teams hands. But the design is ready to go and be built. So they release it that way, and just assume the programmers will fix everything after its released instead of sitting on it until everything is ready at once.

#2278 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Looks great but is anyone else wondering where the hell the Star Wars accessories are?

I imagine it has to be an issue with getting licensor approvals -- there's no way Stern would voluntarily sit on their hands for months and lose all those sales.

#2279 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

FWIW, on a Facebook comment Stern mentioned that the they are hoping the R2D2 topper will be available “by the holidays”.

#2280 6 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

FWIW, on a Facebook comment Stern mentioned that the they are hoping the R2D2 topper will be available “by the holidays”.

Thanks - not a Facebook user so I did not see that comment.

I hope at a minimum they have a topper and armor.

#2281 6 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

Right, my point is that while the designers are creating it, the programmers are not. They probably dont start until its nearly out of the design teams hands. But the design is ready to go and be built. So they release it that way, and just assume the programmers will fix everything after its released instead of sitting on it until everything is ready at once.

I think we are getting sidetracked a little. The issue I was raising was not about unfinished code when a game is released. The issue was about not finishing the code in a reasonable amount of time after release. So back to the original point, they work on the programming for a year but why is the programming often not complete a year or more after the game is shipped? A year should be plenty of time to get a game fully coded if you have at least one programmer's year of man-hours per game which Stern clearly has the resources since they have at least 5 programmers for 3 games a year.

#2282 6 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Not a snob just thought Batman 66 felt like there could have been more there,especially for all the hype.I love TWD with pinsound and all the cool mods.I’m older and use a smooth nudge when playing it seems like Sterns are a lot lighter

I am not defending Stern here and always had the same feeling about Stern games feeling lighter; however, when I checked my Williams T2 manual it says it weighs 225 pounds and Guardians weighs 250 pounds so hoping it will feel solid when I get a chance to play it. Now, my NGG weighs 300 pounds, so there is definitely some heft there!

#2283 6 years ago

Last time I was at Stern, they had 6 programmers - Lyman, Dwight, Lonnie, Tanio, Waison, Mike K..
I thought someone said there was going to be another programmer hired to help Lyman?
If I recall there is a lead programmer and 1 or 2 programmers that assist on each title, so the programmers are working on multiple titles at one time.

Quoted from DCFAN:

I think we are getting sidetracked a little. The issue I was raising was not about unfinished code when a game is released. The issue was about not finishing the code in a reasonable amount of time after release. So back to the original point, they work on the programming for a year but why is the programming often not complete a year or more after the game is shipped? A year should be plenty of time to get a game fully coded if you have at least one programmer's year of man-hours per game which Stern clearly has the resources since they have at least 5 programmers for 3 games a year.

#2284 6 years ago
Quoted from nicknack66:

I am not defending Stern here and always had the same feeling about Stern games feeling lighter; however, when I checked my Williams T2 manual it says it weighs 225 pounds and Guardians weighs 250 pounds so hoping it will feel solid when I get a chance to play it. Now, my NGG weighs 300 pounds, so there is definitely some heft there!

Pretty sure all Sterns say 250 lbs. Don't rely on that too much.

#2285 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

They don't have a year to work on games before launch, usually. That's why the games aren't complete. They get some time afterwards to finish/polish/bug-fix...but often the have another project they have to start, and that's why there are so many games that need updates. Lyman is the only one who will do it on his own time. The rest go along with what management wants them to work on.

#2286 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They don't have a year to work on games before launch, usually. That's why the games aren't complete. They get some time afterwards to finish/polish/bug-fix...but often the have another project they have to start, and that's why there are so many games that need updates. Lyman is the only one who will do it on his own time. The rest go along with what management wants them to work on.

That sounds like it is the lack of focus on a particular game is the problem rather than man hours per title. It is very time consuming when getting yanked from a rhythm on something and then having to go back to it months later.

#2287 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Today we have better development environments, better software, and better overall resources. Williams didn't need 2-3 years to finish a game, and they were all very unique. I'm legit bothered at the lack of ambition by anybody here.

You are right there are better tools today, but the rules are more complex, LED lighting is more complicated, and display integration is better.

Net net, it takes significantly more effort to deliver the software today than it did in Williams' time.

#2288 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Pretty simple math. 3 games a yr. 3 teams. Not hard to figure

The status of code at launch has varied obviously

#2289 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

And this is the single biggest factor that has stopped me jumping on the NIB bandwagon.

Just too many games waiting for final updates, polish etc etc.

#2290 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Disco inferno or Saturday Night Fever....?

Looks like Walt Disney threw up!

#2291 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I have been told, directly, by people who work there that they get 4 1/2 months from start to boxed games to do the software. Not second hand rumours.

#2292 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I have been told, directly, by people who work there that they get 4 1/2 months from start to boxed games to do the software. Not second hand rumours.

Plus they have the time after the game's release until they get yanked to work on something else. Since there is at least one programmer per each of the three game releases there is at least one year per game of programming time. There must be a lot of lost/mismanaged or wasted time in that year of programming time.

#2293 6 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Pretty sure all Sterns say 250 lbs. Don't rely on that too much.

I think you are right about that! Apparently the master craftsmen at Stern have the weight of the games down to an exact science.

#2294 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I have been told, directly, by people who work there that they get 4 1/2 months from start to boxed games to do the software.

If the "one game a year per programmer" thing is correct, then they presumably also have 7 1/2 months after a game launches to continue polishing the code (or work on code from their prior releases, which happens sometimes) before they would have to drop everything and start coding their next new title. Did you get confirmation that this is how it works? Or are they tasked with something else during that 7 1/2 months (or put on furlough or something)?

#2295 6 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

You are right there are better tools today, but the rules are more complex, LED lighting is more complicated, and display integration is better.
Net net, it takes significantly more effort to deliver the software today than it did in Williams' time.

Uh, you think it takes more time to clip videos than to animate things with dots? The LCD simplifies that process a lot. And rules are deeper on some games, not all. B/W developers had to deal with more archaic audio systems, smaller storage space, lower bandwidth hardware, and lots of challenges that have been solved with improving technology. It was harder back then than it is now.

At some point you have to be honest though. Stern isn't even trying to do anything unique here. This is a legit recycling of code and just changing the name of things.

VIP - Hadron
Crank it Up - Upgrade
Choose Your Track - Choose Your Mission
You qualify multiballs the same basic way
Playfield multipliers function the same basic way

Templates are great for marketing and sales reports. For pinball? Eh, that's weak. Pace of release is an excuse, not a reason. What we end up with games that play just fine, but they're ultimately disposable. I guess that's fine if you're a location player, but it's not the best for building a collection around.

That's all I really have to say on that. Keep making excuses for Stern and giving them a pass though. That will make them REALLY start to push themselves and get creative.

#2296 6 years ago

So they recycle good layouts and some rules. That's how they keep costs down. $5300 for a pro model is a pretty good steal. You can get what you want from a pinball, just not from Stern. Go buy a JJP, sounds like exactly what you want. Entry price is $8500 though.

#2297 6 years ago

Baby Groot's hair on the shooter knob looks wrong to me. It's way to wirery. Looks like he has a squid-head. Shouldn't he be sporting this hair style?

IMG_2650 (resized).JPGIMG_2650 (resized).JPG

IMG_2651 (resized).PNGIMG_2651 (resized).PNG

#2298 6 years ago

Is Baby Groot on the shooter rod an indication that there might be possible content from the second movie?

#2299 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

At some point you have to be honest though. Stern isn't even trying to do anything unique here. This is a legit recycling of code and just changing the name of things.

On the flip side, if they innovate they risk people disliking the new approach to code. Exhibit one would be the Star Wars shot multiplier. If they stick close to tried and true code (and/or layout), then they can more safely predict how buyers will react.

#2300 6 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

Baby Groot's hair on the shooter knob looks wrong to me. It's way to wirery. Looks like he has a squid-head. Shouldn't he be sporting this hair style?

It looked more like what is on the shooter rod at the end of movie 1 and the pinball machine is based on the first movie:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t&p=baby+groot+first+movie#id=1&vid=c2e76f6385aad94e4a1d26bf90ef5619&action=click

guardians-of-the-galaxy-baby-groot-scene (1) (resized).jpgguardians-of-the-galaxy-baby-groot-scene (1) (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Corning, NY
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 86.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-here/page/46?hl=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.