By pin2d

3 weeks ago

Stats

• 2,926 posts - Hot topic!
  • 428 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 seconds ago by TKDalumni
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 290 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Resized_20171121_152456 (resized).jpg
Thread Derailed.gif
Homer laughing (resized).jpg
homer-simpson-coffee-googled-image (resized).jpg
IMG_5149 (resized).jpg
Good-Fellas-Hilarious (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 3.04.12 PM (resized).png
hjv (resized).jpg
20171121_114918 (resized).png
blame (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 4.56.01 AM (resized).png
6A60EE50-FA0E-44A4-BC8F-AE1C262DC96D (resized).jpeg
4dfc3ab27944dd5b2e3178896571542aa9ff67ba.png
2017-11-20 19_41_03-Dead_Flip - Twitch (resized).jpg
20171120_201537 (resized).jpg

There are 2926 posts in topic. You are on page 45 of 59.
#2201 8 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Every game you own has a limited amount of songs, usually with 15-20 second loops. Why do people only complain about repetition when it comes to licensed music? The music is from the movie, so it's thematically correct. If you like the movie, you theoretically like the songs, and their placement in the game only adds to the immersion factor.

I think it’s because they have lyrics which the melody sticks easier to the brain making it more repetitious than a traditional instrumental composure.

#2202 8 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Every game you own has a limited amount of songs, usually with 15-20 second loops. Why do people only complain about repetition when it comes to licensed music? The music is from the movie, so it's thematically correct. If you like the movie, you theoretically like the songs, and their placement in the game only adds to the immersion factor.

As stated before, it's because some music is composed purposefully to be looped and sound good even after the 100th time. Licensed songs, regardless of which, get old faster. Besides, just because someone enjoys a movie (or anything for that matter) doesn't "theoretically" mean they enjoy every single aspect of it.

#2203 8 days ago
Quoted from T-800:

As stated before, it's because some music is composed purposefully to be looped and sound good even after the 100th time. Licensed songs, regardless of which, get old faster. Besides, just because someone enjoys a movie (or anything for that matter) doesn't "theoretically" mean they enjoy every single aspect of it.

That's why you can change them out with PB.

Start with 4 and switch it out to another 4 later. Whatever you like.

GOTG without the music isn't GOTG.

#2204 8 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's why you can change them out with PB.
Start with 4 and switch it out to another 4 later. Whatever you like.
GOTG without the music isn't GOTG.

It is nice that is an option (huge high five to the geniuses that figured that out, my TWD thanks you), especially since there are no inserts or other art dedicated to the songs like on the traditional music themed pins.

#2205 8 days ago
Quoted from T-800:

It is nice that is an option (huge high five to the geniuses that figured that out, my TWD thanks you), especially since there are no inserts or other art dedicated to the songs like on the traditional music themed pins.

Yep, I would never change out my AS songs, like em fine. And impossibly integrated with the LCD

I did change out AC/DC and had Arcade do the jukebox at the same time. Too much. Didn't really care.

Should be fun to pick and choose. Stern is giving us 4 placeholders basically.

#2206 8 days ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

GOTG to me seems nice all around. I haven't said that about a Stern game in quite some time. For me, it's all about code and esthetics and value for money spent. So far Stern seem to be heading in the right direction. Time will tell. I just wish Spike wasn't some damn "fail and replace" kinda system instead of "fail and fix". The other thing would be to find out if the node boards are unique to Guardians or interchangeable with other games.

Perhaps with AS, SW and now GoTG they are finally getting to be standard. Have you seen the huge ass boards under the playfields of AFMr and Aliens? Those don't look too user repairable either.

Rob

#2207 8 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yep, I would never change out my AS songs, like em fine. And impossibly integrated with the LCD

Correct. I believe the video character is lip synced to the music so changing the songs would not work very well.

Rob

#2208 8 days ago
Quoted from T-800:

Well, you can't please everyone then....but it seems like a stretch to complain about a licensed pin using strong and relevant elements of the license. People complained about the GB song in the GB pin, too...*shrug*. Whatcha gonna do...don't buy it, I guess. Licensed songs used well are one of my "check boxes" for potentially buying this game, so THUMBS UP STERN from me!

Still a lot of unchecked boxes at the moment...but, I love songs.

#2209 8 days ago

Canceled SW for the prospect of GOTG. Bought a POTCCE, no regrets, all in.

This pin has to beat out AFMRLE to hit my house!

I love my ASLE, but if the code is the same as that and the layout is basically MET, which obviously works then I'm trying not to get sucked in at this point.

AFMRLE or this one? Known greatness versus potential greatness. Hate to say this but if it were Lyman/Borg it would be on the way home.

#2210 7 days ago

Is GOTG going to have 4 songs? I had heard 2 earlier, maybe i missed something.
4 would be pretty good.

#2211 7 days ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Perhaps with AS, SW and now GoTG they are finally getting to be standard. Have you seen the huge ass boards under the playfields of AFMr and Aliens? Those don't look too user repairable either.
Rob

I havent...

#2212 7 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Why do people only complain about repetition when it comes to licensed music?

For me, it’s only repetitive if it has lyrics. Instrumental music works way better for looping imo. Give me the Tron soundtrack all day long. GOT theme music all day long. Star Wars theme all day long.

MET and AC/DC don’t bother me, but I’ve never owned them. Same with KISS. Love that game, but I have never owned it.

Like I said before. The music in this game is special and is used at special moments in the movie. If used for special moments in the game, I don’t think it will be repetitive at all. But looping constantly during single ball play, I don’t think that’s the right way to go. Interested to see how they use these.

#2213 7 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I love my ASLE, but if the code is the same as that and the layout is basically MET, which obviously works then I'm trying not to get sucked in at this point.
AFMRLE or this one? Known greatness versus potential greatness. Hate to say this but if it were Lyman/Borg it would be on the way home.

I'm not buying anything new in box if Lyman is working on it. Why? So I can have a box with lights in my house for a year?
Not a chance.

#2214 7 days ago

I posted these in the IAAPA thread this morning but here are a few for the people here now.

DE02F6CC-E8BD-4F91-9AA6-3AD6A1D36FB4 (resized).jpeg

B2B1534F-B715-40E8-8EEA-F6A7E278E685 (resized).jpeg

3DF0DC95-F9F9-4C1E-80DB-35C43CFC7D23 (resized).jpeg

97D2A4C9-CC51-43FA-9868-E29BB1C6AF5A (resized).jpeg

322FE239-0E63-4912-8758-D3D15793B200 (resized).jpeg

76DD7A82-86F8-401D-81A9-375B8C3C4B34 (resized).jpeg

64750096-FC01-4316-B2B2-2C760C51E349 (resized).jpeg

EF0DE630-2B3A-4BBD-8B70-C850EC6292D6 (resized).jpeg

7CF0C27C-18BD-402B-988F-32234F3E5EFA (resized).jpeg

520D77F1-DBD5-4A00-AE7B-A4FE708D82F6 (resized).jpeg

8515DDFD-CB0C-48B5-AB97-AC18EC713218 (resized).jpeg

8E4A0D87-14EE-480F-8CDB-CA20B2D1E67C (resized).jpeg

45ABDB6E-5FCE-4BCF-A908-C77F048C552F (resized).jpeg

#2215 7 days ago

Played a bunch of GOTG at IAAPA today and was thoroughly impressed.

Much like Medieval Madness feels like a sequel of sorts to Attack From Mars with their similar layouts, GOTG feels like the third game in a series, the first two being IM and MET.

Ramps and orbits’ position, flow and how they all combo and connect together in addition to the kicker position will definitely remind you of the best aspects of Iron Man.

The far left lane/GOTG plate and right scoop all feel like the FUEL lane / CIU scoop on MET. Groot will hold a ball (or more if you’re fast enough) for 2X scoring during multi ball if you qualify it somehow (I believe it’s related to the stand ups, I was spotting it with the smart missles) just like the snake will hold the ball for 2X scoring on MET premium/LE.

Difficulty/drains are predominately from the posts and standup targets and magnets, rejected ramp shots weren’t much of an issue. Ball times and difficulty seemed comparable to MET.

There are cool magnet effects as the ball comes out of the captive drop target/orb, which I wasn’t expecting.

Premium’s inserts/lightshow is the best since ST premium.

I loved both versions of the game and would say it is on par with ST and MET as far as the premium offers cool improvements, but you get an enormous value from the pro as well to the point it feels like it really isn’t missing a whole lot.

Unfortunately I can’t say much on the audio as it was pretty loud at the show.

Modes remind me of how the modes in AS work, but a few, Sanctuary in particular, had a lot of variety and distinction even with the very early code.

Stern absolutely knocked it up of the park with this game. Most excited I’ve been for a new pinball since TWD was announced.

#2216 7 days ago

I agree with all of the above taygeta.

#2217 7 days ago
Quoted from kklank:

I'm not buying anything new in box if Lyman is working on it. Why? So I can have a box with lights in my house for a year?
Not a chance.

LOL

At least you get a box that F ing kicks ass down the road!

Versus something that may or may not ever be great.

I'll take the Lyman box all day every day thank you.

#2218 7 days ago

Nice review @taygeta....thanks for that. I like what I hear. That light show on the premium really does look impressive. I own an ST premium and i was reminded of that watching the videos. Very nice looking game. I’m excited about this one.

#2219 7 days ago

"Stern absolutely knocked it up of the park with this game. Most excited I’ve been for a new pinball since TWD was announced."

Excellent review, i wish the common denominator was Borg/Lyman. It's not.

#2220 7 days ago

I know it says "POD CHASE", but my eye always scans the D as a second O.

#2221 7 days ago
Quoted from pipes:

Nice review taygeta....thanks for that. I like what I hear. That light show on the premium really does look impressive. I own an ST premium and i was reminded of that watching the videos. Very nice looking game. I’m excited about this one.

Where's a gpod premium vid..... the one i saw hardly used the 3 color gi and rgb inserts?

#2222 7 days ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Where's a gpod premium vid..... the one i saw hardly used the 3 color gi and rgb inserts?

Looks to be WAY early code.

Therein lies the risk.

The bait looks great though.

#2223 7 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Therein lies the risk.

This new shiny game with modern lighting, LCD display and a cool theme is enticing but us that have been in the hobby since the Stern revival of around 2011 have seen this scenario play out far too many times to just jump in blindfolded.

#2224 7 days ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

This new shiny game with modern lighting, LCD display and a cool theme is enticing but us that have been in the hobby since the Stern revival of around 2011 have seen this scenario play out far too many times to just jump in blindfolded.

Well said.

#2225 7 days ago

What did STERN get pregnant?

Quoted from iceman44:

"Stern absolutely knocked it up of the park with this game. Most excited I’ve been for a new pinball since TWD was announced."
Excellent review, i wish the common denominator was Borg/Lyman. It's not.

#2226 7 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Therein lies the risk.

I don't think I'm fond of the light cyan coloring on the display as it blends too much with white numbers. And the score fonts could be a bit larger (if there's room). Early code yes... I wonder what the floating/moving squares on the display represented? White lettering on gold/yellow background needs to change too.

Rob

#2227 7 days ago

not bad, not bad at all, let's hope the call outs are done by rocket.

#2228 7 days ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

White lettering on gold/yellow background needs to change too.
Rob

Agreed 100%. Really, the only bad thing I've noticed about this otherwise great looking game.

#2229 7 days ago

GoT lightshow on prem and Le is quite impressive. Easily on par with ST if your talking full spectrum rbg across the game.

People see a few minutes gameplay and out come the wallets. Chill guys... if everyone holds off we will get more songs

#2230 7 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

LOL
At least you get a box that F ing kicks ass down the road!
Versus something that may or may not ever be great.
I'll take the Lyman box all day every day thank you.

Lol.
Yeah how's Batman treating you. It's been over a year and it's just now in beta code. Still no sub villains.
I'm not drinking the kool aid with Lyman anymore. Sell it any way you want. I'll wait for the secondary market on his stuff.
Not saying I won't buy his machines, just saying I won't buy NIB. What's the point? ......none.

#2231 7 days ago
Quoted from kklank:

Lol.
Yeah how's Batman treating you. It's been over a year and it's just now in beta code. Still no sub villains.
I'm not drinking the kool aid with Lyman anymore. Sell it any way you want. I'll wait for the secondary market on his stuff.
Not saying I won't buy his machines, just saying I won't buy NIB. What's the point? ......none.

The last Batman 66 update was supposedly extremely good from what I hear. There's no excuse for how the game released but from what I hear it's shaping up to be a very good game after this last update.

#2232 7 days ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The last Batman 66 update was supposedly extremely good from what I hear. There's no excuse for how the game released but from what I hear it's shaping up to be a very good game after this last update.

Uhhhhhh......not. I played the last code update. Still a long way to go.

#2233 7 days ago

Based on the score card, it's Aerosmith rules on Metallica's shot layout. I'm excited to play it, but I've yet to see a single thing on the game that's unique. Nothing that defines this game. It's all X shot or Y rule from game A or B. I hope that doesn't make it a flash in the pan.

#2234 7 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Lyman has already done his best on this layout and it is called Metallica

#2235 7 days ago

There are infinite posibilities coding a similar layout. You have 2 programmers with different visions working on this layout. Give it a chance. The LCD/video effects alone will make this a very different game from Metallica. I'd be curious what version of software they are running on the games at IAAPA. That will tell you somewhat how complete the game is at the moment.

Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Lyman has already done his best on this layout and it is called Metallica

#2236 7 days ago
Quoted from jar155:

Based on the score card, it's Aerosmith rules on Metallica's shot layout. I'm excited to play it, but I've yet to see a single thing on the game that's unique. Nothing that defines this game. It's all X shot or Y rule from game A or B. I hope that doesn't make it a flash in the pan.

Honestly, it'll all come down to personality. If the game has tons of funny clips, callouts, cool music and fun moments - the simpler rules should be just fine. A big part of the reason people love "simple" games like Monster Bash is the excellent presentation. Kiss & Aero seem very sterile and boring since "shoot the shots" doesn't really give the player an interesting response. The games' audio is mostly just music tracks and very little personality otherwise. GOTG should be full of story bits & funny dialog to go along with each shot you make.

#2237 7 days ago

It's legit copy and paste though. Rules are Aerosmith. Missions are songs, Upgrade is Crank it Up, the Hadron is the VIP, the multipliers, the multiballs, and the wizard mode are the same. I hope there's more coming.

GOTG rules (resized).png

#2238 7 days ago
Quoted from kklank:

Lol.

BM66 is treating me GREAT. Latest code update is awesome and two more coming before end of year. Can't be any happier now.

Waiting for the secondary market? That's probably the smart move on any pin these days.

#2239 7 days ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's legit copy and paste though. Rules are Aerosmith. Missions are songs, Upgrade is Crank it Up, the Hadron is the VIP, the multipliers, the multiballs, and the wizard mode are the same. I hope there's more coming.

Not surprised... most stern pins feel the same and they stick to the same formula the past 3-4 years.

#2240 7 days ago
Quoted from jar155:

We all want games to be Lyman masterpieces, but the reality is that takes 2+ years. As someone who works in an industry with tight deadlines & watch people burnout trying to accomplish too much within an unrealistic timeframe, I know what it's like to pick your battles. On that level I respect that Lonnie has made a template so he can get a game done under Stern's short schedule. IMO that template will work better with a story based game - but we'll see.

#2241 7 days ago

I noticed another conflict in Stern's marketing materials. We already know about the mistake in the feature matrix concerning the Pro being checked for both RGB and white GI.

I just noticed the the feature matrix says the Premium/LE has RGB pop bumpers, and the Pro does not. However, the flyer for the Pro says it has RGB pop bumpers.

Can anyone who played it chime in? Does the Pro have RGB pop bumpers?

#2242 7 days ago
Quoted from jar155:

Not to sound crass, but so what? I love the rules on Aerosmith but hate the band. I love the shots and feel of Metallica but hate the rules. GOTG looks to combine the two elements I like most in two different games for one super duper pinfest. It's tough to make something new and unique each time (especially at the risk of this hyper-sensitive and often insulting forum) that the gen pop will accept. Bring on GOTG!

#2243 7 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

We all want games to be Lyman masterpieces, but the reality is that takes 2+ years. As someone who works in an industry with tight deadlines & watch people burnout trying to accomplish too much within an unrealistic timeframe, I know what it's like to pick your battles. On that level I respect that Lonnie has made a template so he can get a game done under Stern's short schedule. IMO that template will work better with a story based game - but we'll see.

Today we have better development environments, better software, and better overall resources. Williams didn't need 2-3 years to finish a game, and they were all very unique. I'm legit bothered at the lack of ambition by anybody here.

At first I gave the layout a pass, figuring they would do something at least interesting with the code. They've gone full cookie cutter though. There's no ambition.

I'm not saying this won't be fun, but Stern is going straight up paint by numbers here. No creativity.

#2244 7 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You nailed it right on the head Rarehero. I'm in for an LE with Guardians but I'm going to play a pro first and if the code is shit I'm canceling my LE asap.
Stern can find another sucker at that point. Having Batman in my house for a year with ZERO code was bulls***. Fool me once-shame on you, Fool me twice-shame on me. Is that how it goes?? LOL!

#2245 7 days ago

Batman '66 was a really weird magnification of Stern's code problem. Aerosmith was supposed to be out in Batman's spot, and they wound up trading spots. This caused Batman's code to be released in an alpha stage, while Aerosmith was relativity mature by the time it came out early this year.

#2246 7 days ago

Is there any rhyme or reason to when the songs are used or are they just thrown in there bc people wanted them?

#2247 7 days ago
Quoted from jar155:

Hope in one hand

Shit in the other

See which one fills up first

So if it’s a copy/paste of Aerosmith it’s a copy/paste of KISS which means... the song selection bug will be on 3 games + there will be no programmed skill shot + the smart button won’t do shit + the wizard/mini-wizard modes will be nearly impossible & carry little scoring value?

#2248 7 days ago

“Save Xandar Wizard Mode”???? If completing that mode doesn’t bring on Star Lord saying “You said it, bitch. We're the Guardians of the Galaxy.“.....well, then Stern blew it......

#2249 7 days ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Is there any rhyme or reason to when the songs are used or are they just thrown in there bc people wanted them?

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm guessing one song will be used during a multi ball and the other will play during Game Over?

#2250 7 days ago

The modes should trigger a lot of great clips. Ghostbusters aside, Stern hasn't had a license so rich for pulling one liners or sight gags for a while.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8,699.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 5,699.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 5,699.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Wheezer
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 94.00
$ 29.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 24.50
$ 1.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 15.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
There are 2926 posts in topic. You are on page 45 of 59.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside