2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,260 posts
  • 503 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mnluz
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 392 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CDC61D8B-FD6A-4D64-A69E-01294E9E947B (resized).png
ED493CEB-E58E-4946-97C9-FCCE99E36547 (resized).jpeg
F119E176-AD5E-4740-8FF9-BD0F26A2515A (resized).jpeg
61CCCECE-2607-4D17-96C7-E30F907A1F0D (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3864 (resized).jpg
Jam (resized).png
2A4B0C7A-AF2B-44C4-A323-A95C678D5DC6 (resized).jpeg
50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

There are 4260 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 86.
#2001 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

So I guess anytime that I have questions or concerns about a product that instead of trying to find the answers to my questions, that I should “just not buy” that particular product? This doesn’t concern me enough to put me in the insane asylum or to derail my purchase of a spike system game, nor is it going to bury me financially in the event this happens but its definitely something worth trying to get answers for in my opinion. I’m confident enough though that there will be some very intelligent people out there to come up with solutions to repair these games down the road if Stern is not still in business.

You have nothing to worry about. Stern is making so many games now that there will always be an aftermarket industry to support it even if for any reason they are no longer in business. I had the same fears around the year 2000 when I started collecting and Bally Williams went belly up. Their product was so good the collector market would not allow the games to die. The same thing will repeat itself in the future if something happens to Stern. The cost of future repairs will be as negligible on Sterns then as it is on Bally Williams games now. The only potential problem might be some waiting for parts to get reproduced, same as it is now.

#2002 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

You have nothing to worry about. Stern is making so many games now that there will always be an aftermarket industry to support it even if for any reason they are no longer in business. I had the same fears around the year 2000 when I started collecting and Bally Williams went belly up. Their product was so good the collector market would not allow the games to die. The same thing will repeat itself in the future if something happens to Stern. The cost of future repairs will be as negligible on Sterns then as it is on Bally Williams games now. The only potential problem might be some waiting for parts to get reproduced, same as it is now.

If we get documentation and if working on surface-mounted components becomes more common. Even then, those boards are not super friendly to poke around on. Right now there's no way for anybody to act as a third party without documentation. We need that first.

But yes, your point works out if a few conditions are met.

#2003 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Drax is not that dumb in the movie, he just takes everything literally and lacks a filter.

Both signs of high functioning autism, which I believe is what they were going for with his character, and facets I can relate to, though of course the movie boosts the dead-pan comedy factor.

#2004 2 years ago

Already got my keychain!

IMG_6914 (resized).JPG

#2005 2 years ago

This looks like it's going to be a real good one to me. If I didn't already own IM I would probably be all over this one. Maybe sell IM for GOTG? Not sure about that though...IM is such a great game and I love the theme............but........new........and.........shiny.

#2006 2 years ago

I wanted to announce that for the GOTG owners to be that we have just officially announced the official plug and play Pin Stadium kit with the optional GI module and UV+Glow flasher feature. This playfield is going to be very UV reactive and its going to really ignite and come alive. For those of you who are interested in ordering or if you have any questions please email me at scott@pinstadium.com Several have already placed their orders so just posting this up here to let others know that they are now available.

Gameplay videos and along with before and afters with the Pin Stadium installed on the GOTG will be posted up very shortly!

guardians (resized).png

#2007 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

If we get documentation and if working on surface-mounted components becomes more common. Even then, those boards are not super friendly to poke around on. Right now there's no way for anybody to act as a third party without documentation. We need that first.
But yes, your point works out if a few conditions are met.

No sense worrying about ten years from now when we can enjoy what we have in the present. In the unlikely event Stern can no longer supply parts in the future there will always be the gifted few who can easily reverse engineer ten year old technology for those in need. Pinball is flourishing right now, not fading. There's no need to worry about the sky falling anytime soon.

#2008 2 years ago

pinstadium wait you have game play video already?

#2009 2 years ago

No sense worrying about ten years from now when we can enjoy what we have in the present. In the unlikely event Stern can no longer supply parts in the future there will always be the gifted few who can easily reverse engineer ten year old technology for those in need. Pinball is flourishing right now, not fading. There's no need to worry about the sky falling anytime soon.

It's not just 10 years from now that you should be worried about. It's after the game leaves the line and it's not being supported actively anymore. For now, warranties are covering most issues, but that certainly won't stay the case. It's as much of a short term issue as a long term one.

#2010 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

pinstadium wait you have game play video already?

It's coming very shortly and I am excited to show it to you guys! We are fortunately to get to have one of the first sightings of it. I will post it up here when it's completed for you guys to check out.

#2011 2 years ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

It's coming very shortly and I am excited to show it to you guys! I will post it up here when it's completed for you guys to check out.

If it's before the Deadflip stream on the 20th that's quite the scoop and you're my new hero lol.

#2012 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

If it's before the Deadflip stream on the 20th that's quite the scoop and you're my new hero lol.

I don't know if it will be before that, but I will post it up right away. It will be close though is all I can tell you. I am pumped about this game!!

#2013 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

It will be here in Orlando all next week at IAAPA and FPF.

#2014 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

It will be here in Orlando all next week at IAAPA and FPF.

I'm pretty sure highprotein is planning to post some info about it from IAAPA.

#2015 2 years ago

I still think they really missed out by not having metal ramps on the premium/LE powder coated Groot brown color. Would hold up better than the plastic and look like his vines.

#2016 2 years ago
Quoted from jdpilot:

I still think they really missed out by not having metal ramps on the premium/LE powder coated Groot brown color. Would hold up better than the plastic and look like his vines.

Nah. This would look strange along with the hands. Needs to be one or the other.

#2017 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's not just 10 years from now that you should be worried about. It's after the game leaves the line and it's not being supported actively anymore. For now, warranties are covering most issues, but that certainly won't stay the case. It's as much of a short term issue as a long term one.

No, not really, Stern is still in business and as long as they are PARTS WILL BE AVAILABLE!!! Spike is brandy new and will be produced for many years to come. Just plunge the ball and enjoy!!!

#2018 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Nah. This would look strange along with the hands. Needs to be one or the other.

If the hands don't block the view of the shots and the spinners, then I think the Premium is the way to go, but I have a bad feeling that they're going to get in the way. If they do get in the way then i would just go Pro.

#2019 2 years ago

Well, K man nailed that podcast on the songs.

WHY is it only 2? WTF

Hooked on a Feeling and what else?

F me, I'll pitch in a six pack to get those other songs from the licensor, it just can't be that much!

The whole movie is about comedy and music!!!!!!!!!!

I really hope they don't F THIS UP.

#2020 2 years ago

You guys also need to quit F ing worrying about the boards and what will happen in 10 yrs.

Who gives a F. You might be dead. I promise you life is too short to worry about that f ing NONSENSE. But if you do, you are cutting time off of your life for nothing.

#2021 2 years ago

No, not really, Stern is still in business and as long as they are PARTS WILL BE AVAILABLE!!! Spike is brandy new and will be produced for many years to come. Just plunge the ball and enjoy!!!

the problem is, are they really making all the different versions of node boards? For how long? You think stern keeps tons of parts on hand for long term? they do not. For those that don't plan on being in this hobby for the next 5 years, or someone who goes through games like mcdonalds goes through employees, this is not a big deal. But some of us have been around for the past 20+ years and not liking the looks of this new disposable model, they are starting to make. It should be a concern now, so stern doesn't make the same mistake on the next board set that comes out.

#2022 2 years ago

Are we really stuck with only 2 songs on this pin? Honestly, that might keep me from buying one. Just absurd!!!

#2023 2 years ago

Pin2k had a much higher chance of being a pile of junk.

I know spike scares people, but Stern didn't bottle up some mystical infinity stone in these things.

#2024 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You guys also need to quit F ing worrying about the boards and what will happen in 10 yrs.
Who gives a F. You might be dead. I promise you life is too short to worry about that f ing NONSENSE. But if you do, you are cutting time off of your life for nothing.

You tell it like it is Iceman, that's what I like about you! lol

#2025 2 years ago

Here is what I'll be looking for.

Please don't Half Ass this pin!

I don't want to hear from Gary that "We could build a box, take a dump in it, and sell it for $8k" like he did with SW. And i love my Stern pins.

If you don't get it yet, the movie is integrated HUGE with the F ing music!

I'm getting ready to hop on my BM66 updated code, and I don't have ANY confidence that you won't HALF ASS it.

Come on, make me want to buy this pin. F ing sell me.

#2026 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the problem is, are they really making all the different versions of node boards? For how long? You think stern keeps tons of parts on hand for long term? they do not. For those that don't plan on being in this hobby for the next 5 years, or someone who goes through games like mcdonalds goes through employees, this is not a big deal. But some of us have been around for the past 20+ years and not liking the looks of this new disposable model, they are starting to make. It should be a concern now, so stern doesn't make the same mistake on the next board set that comes out.

That's like asking your wife how long she plans to stay married to you. Good luck with that. Stern is thriving. If they go out of business someone else will come up with a super duper one size fits all node board just like Alltek did with their classic Bally CPU's. Once again, go play some pinball and stop worrying.

#2027 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Here is what I'll be looking for.
Please don't Half Ass this pin!
I don't want to hear from Gary that "We could build a box, take a dump in it, and sell it for $8k" like he did with SW. And i love my Stern pins.
If you don't get it yet, the movie is integrated HUGE with the F ing music!
I'm getting ready to hop on my BM66 updated code, and I don't have ANY confidence that you won't HALF ASS it.
Come on, make me want to buy this pin. F ing sell me.

QFT!!!!! This! I already ordered but I was hoping for 5-8songs . And I give zero Fs about parts in 10years!

#2028 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well, K man nailed that podcast on the songs.
WHY is it only 2? WTF
Hooked on a Feeling and what else?
F me, I'll pitch in a six pack to get those other songs from the licensor, it just can't be that much!
The whole movie is about comedy and music!!!!!!!!!!
I really hope they don't F THIS UP.

This game has got to have the song Come and get your love in it. I mean it HAS TO!!

#2029 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This game has got to have the song Come and get your love in it. I mean it HAS TO!!

And Ooh Child, Aint No Mountain High enough. Cherry bomb? Ok but only with the others.

I just hit BM66LE with new code and WOW, its coming together like Lyman always does.

It just has to happen. PERIOD.

The Gold armor is shit but we need the F ing music.

#2030 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And Ooh Child, Aint No Mountain High enough. Cherry bomb? Ok but only with the others.
I just hit BM66LE with new code and WOW, its coming together like Lyman always does.
It just has to happen. PERIOD.
The Gold armor is shit but we need the F ing music.

Yeah I like all of those songs and Batman is and will be a good game. I got your back on BM66 iceman so don't let the haters get you down buddy!

#2031 2 years ago

Please, please do not be spirit in the sky.

I do not care for that one, not even a tiny bit. ( why, I do not know) And my "glass is half empty" feeling is that it is probably the cheapest song to get (heard it lots of places) so it will surely be included. Cheap is good, etc.

If it is used in a wizard mode, then fine. Every time I play, though? Probably a disaster for me.

#2032 2 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Please, please do not be spirit in the sky.
I do not care for that one, not even a tiny bit. ( why, I do not know) And my "glass is half empty" feeling is that it is probably the cheapest song to get (heard it lots of places) so it will surely be included. Cheap is good, etc.
If it is used in a wizard mode, then fine. Every time I play, though? Probably a disaster for me.

well lucky for you, spirit in the sky isn't in GOTG, so I think you are safe.

#2033 2 years ago

That's like asking your wife how long she plans to stay married to you. Good luck with that. Stern is thriving. If they go out of business someone else will come up with a super duper one size fits all node board just like Alltek did with their classic Bally CPU's. Once again, go play some pinball and stop worrying.

I don't know about you, but I like being able to fix my games for a penny, to 30 cents worth of parts. not shell out $150-300 because they don't supply you with enough info to fix it.

#2034 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah I like all of those songs and Batman is and will be a good game. I got your back on BM66 iceman so don't let the haters get you down buddy!

Don't worry. It's coming along NICELY. Just played .81 on Batman.

BM66 will be great. It's becoming my favorite pin.

Here's a MAJOR clap/applause for LYMAN. And great appreciation for the passion.

#2035 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well lucky for you, spirit in the sky isn't in GOTG, so I think you are safe.

Um, it is.

#2036 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I don't know about you, but I like being able to fix my games for a penny, to 30 cents worth of parts. not shell out $150-300 because they don't supply you with enough info to fix it.

You cheap bastard Neo!

That's between you Ops and Stern. What are you going to route? A JJP pin?

#2037 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That is F ing right and a f ing nice and common sens comment. Fu..

#2038 2 years ago

I have both soundtracks and it's not on either.

What scene was it used in?

#2039 2 years ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

I wanted to announce that for the GOTG owners to be that we have just officially announced the official plug and play Pin Stadium kit with the optional GI module and UV+Glow flasher feature. This playfield is going to be very UV reactive and its going to really ignite and come alive. For those of you who are interested in ordering or if you have any questions please email me at scott@pinstadium.com Several have already placed their orders so just posting this up here to let others know that they are now available.
Gameplay videos and along with before and afters with the Pin Stadium installed on the GOTG will be posted up very shortly!

Ordered mine, If you are in the fence I would get your order in now! These are AWESOME and Scott is incredible to work with!

#2040 2 years ago

Can’t remember the scene but it is there. Also on the soundtrack:

amazon.com link »

#2041 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

This argument just doesn’t hold up for me. Even Pinball 2000 parts can be had today due to the community being resourceful. And that’s for a company that is completely gone. Stern isn’t going under tomorrow. This is just more FUD than fact.

#2042 2 years ago

Why is everyone so worked up about the songs and how many are in there? Most of those songs are probably going to get old and repetitive quickly anyway. And as we've already seen, not everybody is gonna be happy anyway. I'd rather worry about STERN focusing their efforts on making the gameplay as exciting as can be and let pinballbrowser do the rest. One or two key songs during the right events with great custom background music will tie well to the movies and do me just fine.

#2043 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I *think* they just used it for the trailer?

#2044 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Why is everyone so worked up about the songs and how many are in there? Most of those songs are probably going to get old and repetitive quickly anyway. And as we've already seen, not everybody is gonna be happy anyway. I'd rather worry about STERN focusing their efforts on making the gameplay as exciting as can be and let pinballbrowser do the rest. One or two key songs during the right events with great custom background music will tie well to the movies and do me just fine.

At current prices it shouldn’t be a case of pinball browser will do the rest or getting one (music) or the other (great gameplay/code) it should be coming as a complete package not just because of current pricing but to do this licence justice, unfortunately for Stern they have picked a popular licence that is built around its music as much as the music is built around the film it’s integral, why people keep giving Stern a pass is beyond me, I want Stern to produce the best damn pins they can and remind the competition who’s daddy!

#2045 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Stern didn't bottle up some mystical infinity stone in these things.

They used an Orb instead

#2046 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Correct Neo, from the soundtrack of all of the tracks, the only one that's not actually featured in the movie is "Spirit in the Sky" by Norman Greenbaum, but the song was a big part of the Guardians of the Galaxy marketing campaign.

#2047 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Correct Neo, from the soundtrack of all of the tracks, the only one that's not actually featured in the movie is "Spirit in the Sky" by Norman Greenbaum, but the song was a big part of the Guardians of the Galaxy marketing campaign.

Spirit in the Sky was used in Apollo 13 during multiball!

The GOTG ride at Disneyland has 6 different classic songs, none from the movie, but they totally work since they're really high energy songs. Any of those could work well in the game...but if they're gonna license it prob is best to get ones from the movie.

#2048 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

At current prices it shouldn’t be a case of pinball browser will do the rest or getting one (music) or the other (great gameplay/code) it should be coming as a complete package not just because of current pricing but to do this licence justice, unfortunately for Stern they have picked a popular licence that is built around its music as much as the music is built around the film it’s integral, why people keep giving Stern a pass is beyond me, I want Stern to produce the best damn pins they can and remind the competition who’s daddy!

It's not a matter of giving them a free pass, it's a matter of personal taste. Hearing "ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb" 20X a day for the next few years sounds like hell to me. More than anything I'm trying to reiterate that not everyone wants the same thing and no matter what, STERN won't be able to make everyone happy.

#2049 2 years ago

The amount of willful ignorance on this thread is incredible.

The issue isn't SMT. It's not lack of documentation. If Stern doesn't provide the -code- for an ASIC/PIC or whatever is proprietary hardware on these boards...let's just say the "firmware"... then reverse engineering potentially becomes a huge BITCH. Will replacement *boards* be available? Of course. It's not hard to copy a PCB design and 99% of the components...BUT....just like some audio processors and ASICs that were used in older solid state games, those parts are going to have to be salvaged off damaged boards and attached to new boards. When you buy a Rottendog WPC board, it doesn't come with an ASIC. You have to salvage that from your old board, or buy one someone's pulled from an original board.

Nobody is going to de-lid a pinball specific chip, hook up a SEM, and reverse engineer this crap from metal to code. There's not enough money in it. The reason we can still find plenty of Williams ASICs is because they weren't game specific, and produced at 15 times what Stern produces games at. They were used for an entire generation of games. Without knowing if the programmed chips on Spike/Spike2 are identical or different from game to game... the question of if these parts will be available in 10-20 years for us to be able to fix our games is very questionable. The less variance between node boards, the better for all of us.

#2050 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

It's not a matter of giving them a free pass, it's a matter of personal taste. Hearing "ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb" 20X a day for the next few years sounds like hell to me. More than anything I'm trying to reiterate that not everyone wants the same thing and no matter what, STERN won't be able to make everyone happy.

Definitely cannot argue Stern or any other pin manufacturer won’t ever be able to make everyone happy with every release.

But my take on the music is that it’s integral to the movies and such a huge part of the movies, surely anyone that can enjoy the movies endlessly would also enjoy the music to the same degree?

I agree with what your saying about listening to tracks x20 a day that may grate on you, it’s why I couldn’t get into AC/DC or MET, I see the music no more grating than a music pin, if you love the music it’s great, if not then it’s going to grate.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Portsmouth, NH
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
There are 4260 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 86.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside