50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg
There are 4,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 86.
#1851 6 years ago

oh and no schematics....and the boards components are shoehorned in so it's very hard to work on if we did have schematics , oh and that there are 6 different version and not compatible with each other.... Did I mention how bad spike blows?

#1852 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Yet another reason not to buy a GOTG for several years. If ever.
KISS is nearing 3 years old & Aerosmith will be a year old in a few months. FFS when will they get polished?
GOTG is likely to be a cut/paste of 2 unfinished games lol.
I still want one tho.
But those F'rs aint getting my cheese until I'm pleased

I guess if GOTG is a cookie cutter of AS which is a cookie cutter of kiss code (as iceman said) there is a huge chance that GOTG is the last polished pass of this code!

#1853 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I was watching GOTG 1 last night and during the prison break, Groot yells out a huge “I AM GROOT!!!!!” If that’s not in the game cause of Vin Deasel licensing or whatever, then it’ll be a huge miss especially with Groot being the focal point.
The next scene with Rocket on top of Groot firing machine guns and them yelling was classic! Needs to be in the game too.
This game is going to be a real challenge to bring the theme integration to life if stern is in fact being restricted by licensing.

This pin needs simply many humorous callouts sounds, this is one of the main constitutive of the movie

#1854 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

+ 1 for SAM...... Hell. Wish it was Whitestar actually. I"ll take whitestar even over SAM. But Spike they can stick up their ass sideways.

I prefer SAM over Whitestar... but I do realize that I need to wait 5 more years before I make the final call on that. Just to make sure there are no long term issues with it. It’s only been out for just over a decade. But out of the gate, it’s more reliable in my opinion.

For SPIKE, I was able to make the final call in the first couple years. Junk.

#1855 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I was watching GOTG 1 last night and during the prison break, Groot yells out a huge “I AM GROOT!!!!!” If that’s not in the game cause of Vin Deasel licensing or whatever, then it’ll be a huge miss especially with Groot being the focal point.
The next scene with Rocket on top of Groot firing machine guns and them yelling was classic! Needs to be in the game too.
This game is going to be a real challenge to bring the theme integration to life if stern is in fact being restricted by licensing.

I just watched it a day or two ago as well, and had the same thought about the groot scream and groot/rocket yelling...Im also looking forward to this on the lcd...

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#1856 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I just watched it a day or two ago as well, and had the same thought about the groot scream and groot/rocket yelling...Im also looking forward to this on the lcd...

Yessss!!!!!!

#1857 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I prefer SAM over Whitestar... but I do realize that I need to wait 5 more years before I make the final call on that. Just to make sure there are no long term issues with it. It’s only been out for just over a decade. But out of the gate, it’s more reliable in my opinion.
For SPIKE, I was able to make the final call in the first couple years. Junk.

whitestar has been very reliable for me, and the boards arn't hard to work on. But Sam has been dependable as well, I just havn't had to work on them yet.

#1858 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Double inlanes, and an apparent fan layout, but it's hard to tell.

yeah I agree. fan layout for sure; looks like a classic Ritchie design. reminds me a bit of NO FEAR with the lanes. seems like a fairly generic design which may get really old really quick

#1859 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Too bad GOTG is only based on the first movie, because a "Do not press this button" mode could have been perfectly integrated for lockdown bar button.
The lockdown bar button changes colors. So Rocket could come on the LCD, giving you instructions on hitting a sequence on the button when it's the right color, in a certain amount of time, while the ball is in play. Maybe shoot the alternating lit ramps to increase your jackpot award. Button colors are always changing. Hitting the wrong color might turn on the playfield magnets & screw with the ball.
"Hit the blue, green, yellow buttons. But DO NOT press the RED button, or we're all dead!" Of course Rocket is yelling at you the whole time during the mode. Keep hitting ramps & hitting the button when it's the right color. Complete sequence & get the jackpot. Hit the red button & you're screwed. Mode over.
See how a little creative coding can turn a simple button into great integrated feature, instead of just button mashing???
Come on Stern, think outside the box. Make it happen

I love this idea. I can't fathom why it got 2 down votes.

#1860 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I agree with you 100%, it should be standard now for all pins regardless of model to have full RGB lighting inserts and GI.

Agreed, 100% The cost difference is negligible.

Stern started regular LEDs out in their Premium/LE line, then they trickled down to the Pros eventually. Hopefully the same happens with RGB inserts and GI.

#1861 6 years ago

One of the most ridiculous and preposterous comments that circulates among Stern bashers is that the SPIKE system is somehow junk.

SPIKE is vastly superior to SAM, and any other assertion is asinine.

#1862 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

SPIKE is vastly superior to SAM, and anything other assertion is asinine.

#1863 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

One of the most ridiculous and preposterous comments that circulates among Stern bashers is that the SPIKE system is somehow junk.

Dude, no. SPIKE is objectively a step backwards in nearly every way. Higher failure rates, inability to diagnose, more expense for the end user over time, more difficult to repair, less friendly to modders, and far less interchangeability between games. You often like to blindly defend things, but SPIKE is one that is best left undefended until they make it reliable.

SPIKE is still unfinished and they've been using it for years. Kind of a crazy thing to think about.

#1864 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Dude, no. SPIKE is objectively a step backwards in nearly every way. Higher failure rates, inability to diagnose, more expense for the end user over time, more difficult to repair, less friendly to modders, and far less interchangeability between games. You often like to blindly defend things, but SPIKE is one that is best left undefended until they make it reliable.
SPIKE is still unfinished and they've been using it for years. Kind of a crazy thing to think about.

Completely wrong! No high failure rates. No issues with my SPIKE games, any of my friend's SPIKE games, nor any at my local pinball arcade.

Easier to repair, especially with node boards being swapable.

Sound system BLOWS SAM away. Can drive LCD screens

Less friendly to modders? Quit making stuff up.

Your whole list of replies is phony.

You are a blind Stern basher, and per my post you're responding to, you have now self-admitted to being asinine.

#1865 6 years ago

On a lighter note......

i am groot negan (resized).jpgi am groot negan (resized).jpg

#1866 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

as someone who honestly does not know too much about either system, Im curious as to why this would be? Im only asking because all I hear is people complaining about spike...

Edit: nevermind you answered while I was asking...

#1867 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Completely wrong! No high failure rates. No issues with my SPIKE games

Ummm.. you only own 1

My only Spike game is on the blink. My S.A.M pins have been bullet proof. FG is coming up 10 years old

#1868 6 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Ummm.. you only own 1
My only Spike game is on the blink. My S.A.M pins have been bullet proof. FG is coming up 10 years old

With my game, my friend's games (plural) and all the SPIKE's (plural) at the arcade, none have any issues.

There are games from the 30's that work still too.

#1869 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Both. They should be there. If they were on every model, the coders are more likely to use them meaningfully. It's not just spinners though, it's any gameplay element that they strip out for the pros. They don't need to do that. People still buy LEs/CEs from JJP or Spooky despite no differences in gameplay.
Give LEs and premiums these sorts of things:
- Power coating
- Mirrored backglasses
- Higher detailed toys
- Included shaker motors
- Included headphone kits
- Easy subwoofer connections
- Toppers
- Unique art
- Extra swag (exclusive t-shirt or art print)
Stop taking away gameplay features. That sucks.

Bingo!

#1870 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Dude, no. SPIKE is objectively a step backwards in nearly every way. Higher failure rates, inability to diagnose, more expense for the end user over time, more difficult to repair, less friendly to modders, and far less interchangeability between games.

I'm not disagreeing with your other points, but how do we know that Spike has a higher failure rate than SAM or Whitestar? I've seen some reports of node board failures on Pinside, but have no way to judge if it's a .1%, 1%, 5% etc. failure rate. I'd think it would be tough for anyone but Stern to evaluate comparative failure rates with much confidence.

#1871 6 years ago

Sinestro, buddy, you're kidding yourself if you think SPIKE is better than SAM. Your experience with it is not everybody's experience. Your reality is not everybody's reality. It's great that you haven't had problems, but many, many people have. There's a real concern about the long-term viability of SPIKE. You can't come here and stomp your foot and thumbs down people and throw around terms like "hater" when there's a mountain of evidence to contradict you. It just makes you look like an apologist. And what's crazy about that is that you're not getting anything out of it.

I never had to worry about game code updates blowing out my driver boards before SPIKE. Now it's a real concern. With SAM being properly fused, board failures weren't nearly as common. I've seen SPIKE games taken out of the box and before the first play they've been completely unplayable due to a dead node. They're finicky and fragile. And worst yet, if you short one, you're not replacing a simple fuse or transistor, you're sending the entire board back for replacement. It's not a great situation for the operator or the hobbyist.

#1872 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Sinestro, buddy, you're kidding yourself if you think SPIKE is better than SAM. Your experience with it is not everybody's experience. Your reality is not everybody's reality. It's great that you haven't had problems, but many, many people have. There's a real concern about the long-term viability of SPIKE. You can't come here and stomp your foot and thumbs down people and throw around terms like "hater" when there's a mountain of evidence to contradict you. It just makes you look like an apologist. And what's crazy about that is that you're not getting anything out of it.
I never had to worry about game code updates blowing out my driver boards before SPIKE. Now it's a real concern. With SAM being properly fused, board failures weren't nearly as common. I've seen SPIKE games taken out of the box and before the first play they've been completely unplayable due to a dead node. They're finicky and fragile. And worst yet, if you short one, you're not replacing a simple fuse or transistor, you're sending the entire board back for replacement. It's not a great situation for the operator or the hobbyist.

You're kidding yourself if you think SAM is better. No stereo, no LCD, CPU equivalent of a Game Boy Advance. Outdated, 70's matrix system.

Same goes for you. Your experiences aren't everybody else's experiences. Just because there have been a few issues with node boards, and Pinsiders who have complained LOUDLY about on these forums, does not a majority make. You're too self absorbed in Pinside to see the larger picture.

The long term viability of SPIKE is just fine. It's not in Stern's financial best interests to have a platform that's falling apart. Use common sense and logic. Get outside of your bubble. Interact with others not on Pinside. There's a larger pinball world out there.

#1873 6 years ago

Forget it. For those of us that have been around in the hobby to watch things go from Whitestar to SAM to SPIKE, the differences have been obvious. I'm not interested in arguing a point with someone who is irrational and so blasted defensive. You're acting like I'm calling your mom flawed or something. The emotional attachment is extremely weird.

#1874 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Forget it. For those of us that have been around in the hobby to watch things go from Whitestar to SAM to SPIKE, the differences have been obvious. I'm not interested in arguing a point with someone who is irrational and so blasted defensive. You're acting like I'm calling your mom flawed or something. The emotional attachment is extremely weird.

Your emotional and irrational bashing of Stern is what's odd.

If your arguments have merit, then a discussion can begin. When you say outrageous comments, it's no different than if you claimed to have invented the question mark.

Likewise, I have nothing else to add.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1875 6 years ago

Yes, the guy giving examples of problematic aspects of the SPIKE system is the emotional one, not the one who is calling people delusional, accusing them of lying, and basically saying, "nuh-uh!" Cool story.

Back on track. SPIKE can be discussed elsewhere anyway.

On the Stern of the Union when they mentioned that the game will have pop songs in it, did they clarify that it came from the film? It was kind of weird to label them simply as "pop songs" and not "songs from the film." I would doubt that they would be using songs that don't have anything to do with the license, but found the wording strange.

#1876 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

On the Stern of the Union when they mentioned that the game will have pop songs in it, did they clarify that it came from the film? It was kind of weird to label them simply as "pop songs" and not "songs from the film." I would doubt that they would be using songs that don't have anything to do with the license, but found the wording strange.

Thought exactly the same. Might just be them covering themselves because they havent actually signed off on the license yet.

#1877 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Yes, the guy giving examples of problematic aspects of the SPIKE system is the emotional one, not the one who is calling people delusional, accusing them of lying, and basically saying, "nuh-uh!" Cool story.

Nice try, but I gave examples of how you we wrong.

So....you would be the guy unable to respond.

#1878 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Thought exactly the same. Might just be them covering themselves because they havent actually signed off on the license yet.

Ah, good point. Music licensing is a hassle.

#1879 6 years ago

What was this thread about again?

#1880 6 years ago

Let's get back to Guardians, k?

#1881 6 years ago

Gentlemen: this is a GOTG thread. Take the back and forth on SAM vs Spike to PM or to a different thread. Some discussion on the issue is fine in this thread, of course (it is not a hands off issue), but let’s not lose track of the thread topic.

Thank you.

#1882 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Your emotional and irrational bashing of Stern is what's odd.
If your arguments have merit, then a discussion can begin. When you say outrageous comments, it's no different than if you claimed to have invented the question mark.
Likewise, I have nothing else to add.

The only discussion needed would be rehasing old, established points. Points you conveniently stay ignorant of. Such as:

- Lack of documentation
- Incompatible revisions
- Lack of conformity for parts stocking
- Lack of availability for quick replacement (for a system promoting... lack of downtime)
- Lack of/poor protection circuitry on the driver boards
- Power design change that makes the old high power interlock/testing abilities NLA
- Lack of a long standing platform to date (already had 3 platform changes in its short life)

Yes it has capabilities SAM didn't
- native RGB support
- better sound capabilities
- "native" LCD support

But as a platform to deliver reduced costs, improved servicability, and reduced downtime... all which were the lead features of the new platform - it's failed to deliver on all those fronts. And until they address the problems, the platform will still stand to be a great liability... even tho it delivers new functionalities SAM didn't.

#1883 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The only discussion needed would be rehasing old, established points. Points you conveniently stay ignorant of. Such as:
- Lack of documentation
- Incompatible revisions
- Lack of conformity for parts stocking
- Lack of availability for quick replacement (for a system promoting... lack of downtime)
- Lack of/poor protection circuitry on the driver boards
- Power design change that makes the old high power interlock/testing abilities NLA
- Lack of a long standing platform to date (already had 3 platform changes in its short life)
Yes it has capabilities SAM didn't
- native RGB support
- better sound capabilities
- "native" LCD support
But as a platform to deliver reduced costs, improved servicability, and reduced downtime... all which were the lead features of the new platform - it's failed to deliver on all those fronts. And until they address the problems, the platform will still stand to be a great liability... even tho it delivers new functionalities SAM didn't.

To TigerLaw, I will make one last post on this since flynninus ignored your edict and inserted himself into he argument.

There's been 2 revisions, not 3. They don't need to be completely swappable anymore than SAM to SPIKE would be.

You forgot to address the obsolete 70's matrix style that SAM had. SPIKE allows much more modularity and features. It also gives the owner the ability to quickly remove the playfield, and from there the head for disassembly.

SPIKE has adjustable LEDs for lighting. This allows the lights to auto dim when in service mode. It also can be permanently lowered to reduce or eliminate backglass reflection. Beats he hell out of the old fluorescent tube in SAM.

SPIKE runs on a removable SD card. This allows easier servicing if corruption occurs. You were literally fucked if something went south with the internal flash memory on SAM. Also, a removable SD card allows owners to hot swap out original code versus modded code.

SPIKE has built support for shaker motors. No more installing ancillary boards, plug and play.

All points you conveniently stay ignorant of.

#1884 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

There's been 2 revisions, not 3.

Maybe he was counting The Pin. Lol

#1885 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Maybe he was counting The Pin. Lol

I'm out. Peace.

#1887 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Completely wrong! No high failure rates. No issues with my SPIKE games, any of my friend's SPIKE games, nor any at my local pinball arcade.
Easier to repair, especially with node boards being swapable.
Sound system BLOWS SAM away. Can drive LCD screens
Less friendly to modders? Quit making stuff up.
Your whole list of replies is phony.
You are a blind Stern basher, and per my post you're responding to, you have now self-admitted to being asinine.

you don't know shit about board repair do you?

Do you know what No fuses means? Means that you will be fawked in the ass so hard, without lube when shit goes wrong.

#1888 6 years ago

So....how about that premium huh? Pretty nice right!?

#1889 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

I'm out. Peace.

Bye...

yup, pretty nice indeed

#1890 6 years ago

This sums up the last couple pages

#1891 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

SPIKE has built support for shaker motors. No more installing ancillary boards, plug and play.

Funny, the output for the shaker in pre-spike games was just AC instead of DC. The boards that Stern made a heap of money on are just a big diode and a powerresistor and a fuse (yes it was fused) to turn the AC into DC. 50 cents of parts there. Just another money grab as they could have just as well made the original output DC.

#1892 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I thought it would be a good location game, but one of the local barcades already pulled it cuz no one played it. I found it a bit boring and...sterile. It's weird how a game with such loud art somehow has such little personality. I think the Steve callouts in AC/DC & band + Sparky & Snake in Metallica go a long way, plus the music in those games is just more jammin' for pinball.

I know this won't go over well, but I really don't like any of the Steve call outs in his Stern games. Every time I hear them, I don't think, "Wow, that's a guy from Star Trek" or whatever, but "Eh, that's Steve the pinball guy." It takes away from the games for me.

#1893 6 years ago

I'm still excited about this game and I own Metallica. If Neo is right and I have to push it off of a roof in 10 years because of Spike 2 then that will at least make a good video. Premium or pro is the way to go on this one. Let stern sit on their LE's for that price.

#1894 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I have to push it off of a roof in 10 years because of Spike 2

You won't have to.

#1895 6 years ago

Apologies if I overlooked this and it's already posted, but are there any rumors of a release date? And what's the difference between the premium and the LE, besides the colored trim?

#1896 6 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Apologies if I overlooked this and it's already posted, but are there any rumors of a release date? And what's the difference between the premium and the LE, besides the colored trim?

Check the feature matrix on sterns website.

Pros start shipping in 2-3 weeks. LEs shortly after that.

#1897 6 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Here you go, give this a read:

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/guardians-of-the-galaxy/premium/GOTG%20Feature%20Matrix.pdf

#1898 6 years ago

Pro's have Shot arrow RGB LED lighting and General illumination LED lighting (red, white, blue), so that's good enough for me! Start shipping already Stern!!

#1899 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Check the feature matrix on sterns website.
Pros start shipping in 2-3 weeks. LEs shortly after that.

I've seen launch parties set for mid-December, so they have to feel pretty confident about delivery by that point. Exciting stuff.

#1900 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Pro's have Shot arrow RGB LED lighting and General illumination LED lighting (red, white, blue), so that's good enough for me! Start shipping already Stern!!

Pro has multi color gi?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 28.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 22.50
6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 4,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 86.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-here/page/38?hl=mfsrc791 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.