2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,260 posts
  • 503 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mnluz
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 392 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CDC61D8B-FD6A-4D64-A69E-01294E9E947B (resized).png
ED493CEB-E58E-4946-97C9-FCCE99E36547 (resized).jpeg
F119E176-AD5E-4740-8FF9-BD0F26A2515A (resized).jpeg
61CCCECE-2607-4D17-96C7-E30F907A1F0D (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3864 (resized).jpg
Jam (resized).png
2A4B0C7A-AF2B-44C4-A323-A95C678D5DC6 (resized).jpeg
50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

There are 4260 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 86.
#1401 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why would you call it a table?
People do weird stuff sometimes!!!

At least he didn't call it a deck.

#1402 2 years ago
Quoted from Kaibun:

I'd rather call it 'table' than 'machine'.

Didnt you hear?
All the cool kids are using the term "deck" now...

#1403 2 years ago
Quoted from packards34:

Why can't Stern reveal machines like JJP, day one you can watch hours of ball play. Seriously, who knows what the machine plays like, call out music etc. It's like buying a car and not knowing if theres a 4cyl or v8 engine in it. interested but not putting money down until I know 100% what is in the game... Seriously stern! No one knows anything about the game except groot spits out balls.

No one's forcing you to buy it NOW. Wait. Stern games usually have a 3 year license. Wait. Play it. Then buy, if you like it.

#1404 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No one's forcing you to buy it NOW. Wait. Stern games usually have a 3 year license. Wait. Play it. Then buy, if you like it.

What an amazing idea! Try before you buy? What is this concept?

#1405 2 years ago

I've been following GotG since the announcement much like everyone here. I was really into the look of it for the most part, great color-scheme, pretty good pf art, etc. But my own history with Borg games is giving me some pause with the exception of the massive reputation of MET, which is literally one of the few Borg titles I've not played ironically. It also does seem to share some layout design with MET, which is probably not a bad thing again going by the stellar MET reputation. So hard when like others have commented regarding no gameplay videos yet. Unlike JJP POTC, we had the videos and heck I've even played a sample of it. Really hard to put in a deposit with the local importer without a better feel for it. I will add that it's totally paused whatever interest I had in an SW Premium.

#1406 2 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Yes, but in a few weeks GotG will be in buyer's homes... how long do you have to wait to actually receive your JJP game?

Exactly. So why not show more ? It feels like Stern is afraid to show the real game because people might be turned of by it and don't buy it. If they order unseen just because of theme it is too late and Stern can take as long as they want coding the game all over again. Or maybe never complete it as good as it can be.

#1407 2 years ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

But my own history with Borg games is giving me some pause with the exception of the massive reputation of MET

Pause? Because IM, TRON, TWD, and MET arent enough of a list of pure awesomesauce?

#1408 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Didnt you hear?

Technically, JJPOTC has a deck. A side to side moving ship deck.

#1409 2 years ago

I've been following GotG since the announcement much like everyone here. I was really into the look of it for the most part, great color-scheme, pretty good pf art, etc. But my own history with Borg games is giving me some pause with the exception of the massive reputation of MET, which is literally one of the few Borg titles I've not played ironically. It also does seem to share some layout design with MET, which is probably not a bad thing again going by the stellar MET reputation. So hard when like others have commented regarding no gameplay videos yet. Unlike JJP POTC, we had the videos and heck I've even played a sample of it. Really hard to put in a deposit with the local importer without a better feel for it. I will add that it's totally paused whatever interest I had in an SW Premium.

Sit back, put your feet up and just wait, I don't see the LEs selling out fast mainly because no one seems to like that gold armour, Pros and Premiums will be in production for 2-3 years, plenty of time to watch the game/code develop and grab one if/when it proves it kickass.

#1410 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Didnt you hear?

Hipster

#1411 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Pause? Because IM, TRON, TWD, and MET aren't enough of a list of pure awesomesauce?

Got them all.

#1412 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Didnt you hear?

Whysnow is cool? ?
I kid, I kid. But deck is horrible

#1413 2 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Yes, but in a few weeks GotG will be in buyer's homes... how long do you have to wait to actually receive your JJP game?

It is worth the wait

#1414 2 years ago

Didnt see but do the groot hands move? Probably just wiggle and make it look like they are controlling the ball as the magnets move it in a circle?

#1415 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Didnt see but do the groot hands move? Probably just wiggle and make it look like they are controlling the ball as the magnets move it in a circle?

Lol no....

#1416 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Hahahaha. This thread.
People just want those damn Groot hands moving already dammit!

#1417 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

SW code was in good shape when it shipped. I wouldn't assume GOTG will be non-operational.

really? I have a SW LE and thought it was average at best....the simple fact their still shipping with Beta code is total BS...I guess I'm used to JJP quality

#1418 2 years ago

I was thinking of starting a new thread for my hallowed opinion... but I'll just post it here.

I really like the colors. And because MET is good, the layout is good. I like Groot, so sure, style it around Groot.

I'm not a fan of the staple at the left outlane.

SPIKE... ugh. This looks a game that could possibly make me try another SPIKE game, but unfortunately...

Lonnie. I hate sounding insulting to someone who does something I would have a hard time with. He is probably a decent programmer, but uninspired. But you never know.

So no matter how much I love this theme, this game is a firm "wait" for me. They would have to do something special for me to jump on it, and that would take time to do. So we shall see.

#1419 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Hahahaha. This thread.
People just want those damn Groot hands moving already dammit!

Trust me, if they moved, it would be screaming in the feature matrix. They even put the "modular power cord" in there...

#1420 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I was thinking of starting a new thread for my hallowed opinion... but I'll just post it here.
I really like the colors. And because MET is good, the layout is good. I like Groot, so sure, style it around Groot.
I'm not a fan of the staple at the left outlane.
SPIKE... ugh. This looks a game that could possibly make me try another SPIKE game, but unfortunately...
Lonnie. I hate sounding insulting to someone who does something I would have a hard time with. He is probably a decent programmer, but uninspired. But you never know.
So no matter how much I love this theme, this game is a firm "wait" for me. They would have to do something special for me to jump on it, and that would take time to do. So we shall see.

I don’t know Dave, I gotta tip my hat to Lonnie on AS and as others have said on here, sometimes the simple easy to understand rules are more fun than games like SW and GOT. We all know the rules aren’t going to be Walking Dead good but I honestly don’t think they will be bad either. It’s a wait and see thing for sure but I think it’s going to be just fine.

#1421 2 years ago

No complete code no buy but looks interesting. Borg is actually one of my favs

#1422 2 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

No complete code no buy but looks interesting. Borg is actually one of my favs

You’re not going to see a complete code for sure in any Stern game, not sure about other manufacturers but there are always going to be a few updates and fixes after the game ships. You would need to wait two or three years and then it still might not satisfy you.

#1423 2 years ago

I’m in for 3 machines

#1424 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Didnt you hear?

Hurr durr ... world on a deck.

#1425 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Holy sh#t finally caught up with this thread, only took me 2 days

I'm 4 hours behind you ahahaha
Talk about wading through a whole lot of shit posts.

#1426 2 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

I'm 4 hours behind you ahahaha
Talk about wading through a whole lot of shit posts.

Heh just wait

#1427 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

really? I have a SW LE and thought it was average at best....the simple fact their still shipping with Beta code is total BS...I guess I'm used to JJP quality

You don’t have to like the code, of course. I was just asking what bugs you’re experiencing (or did you mean you were experiencing bugs in July but not with the current 0.93 code?) I got mine in September so started off with 0.89, though I put a bunch of time in on a Pro right at launch and didn’t run into any game crippling bugs.

#1428 2 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Pause? Because IM, TRON, TWD, and MET arent enough of a list of pure awesomesauce?

Never played IM or Tron. I thought the WD was boring as and crummy art out of his recent titles. I'm sure Borg has picked up his game or he wouldn't still have a gig at Stern. I has JP and LW early in my days of buying machines and both left a long time disdain for his designs as did most of the other DE and Sega titles.

Quoted from J85M:

Sit back, put your feet up and just wait, I don't see the LEs selling out fast mainly because no one seems to like that gold armour, Pros and Premiums will be in production for 2-3 years, plenty of time to watch the game/code develop and grab one if/when it proves it kickass.

Agree with you to a point, however note I'm down here in Oz and it's a bit get in and order or miss out with our importer. He doesn't keep spare stock floating around. So if you do go and demo when get the first pre-allocated shipment, you end up with a nice long wait for them to get around to ordering the next back - the next release will be out by then no doubt. Would be zero issue if I lived in the US as I did as youngster, you guys have it easy.

#1429 2 years ago

Never played IM or Tron. I thought the WD was boring as and crummy art out of his recent titles

You thought TWD was boring but you own a Hobbit?

Oooooh Pinside!!

rd

#1430 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Oooooh Pinside!!
rd

I'd take a Hobbit over TWD all day long....

#1431 2 years ago

Anyone listen to the latest podcast...WWE leftover armor being put on this LE...yuck.

#1432 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Oooooh Pinside!!
rd

Even if I didn't find it boring to play, its artwork is butt ugly. Plus, I'd be a much bigger TWD show fan than Hobbit movie theme by a ways, so I'm not biasing themes. You say that like some kind of long timer pinhead to a noob (which I certainly ain't) lol .

#1433 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Anyone listen to the latest podcast...WWE leftover armor being put on this LE...yuck.

Looks similar for sure. In this photo the WWE looks more "shiny" and the GOTG looks a little more dull. We haven't got any really high res pics yet of GOTG so the armor could be identical.

sternpin (resized).jpg

#1434 2 years ago

The more I look at it, that armor doesn't really go with GOTG at all. Need a brighter color that pops more.

#1435 2 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

You guys with the idea that a spinner only costs a couple bucks, have no clue what the total hardware costs are. That one added spinner will require, the spinner hardware and I'm sure a NEW NODE board because any currently in the pro are being fully used. Along with additional wiring, install labor etc none of us know the true cost, but I can guarantee it isn't a couple dollars.
Look it's simple, Stern has a business model. Cheaper pros at a particular price point, then add features/value to get a premium and then add something to entice LE buyers. If you don't like it don't buy it, but quit trying to tell Stern how to run THEIR company. It's getting really old.
I know damn well they sell more pinballs, than any of you whiners trying to tell them how to run their company have ever sold...

Sure we can.
Here is a link to the complete spinner assembly at full retail.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4118
We can easily assume there is a 50% markup on these which would make them $10. And I am sure Stern gets them even cheaper then that in bulk.
No extra boards are required. The time to install is two screws and two wires.

To top it off I had a long conversation with Lyman Sheets at Pinburgh.
He said he would love to add the spinner code for the Pro models on Metallica. He said it was very doable. He also said it if we could get the ok from the higher ups in the company, mentioning the Director of Sales specifically, that it could happen.
It is not rocket science or expensive.

#1436 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's not one size fits all. It's keeping all the core functionality in line. It's actually harder on Stern themselves to split the code base. They have two targets to code for, rather than one.
JJP and Spooky have one target. They differentiate their lines through cosmetic differences and they still make their LE/CE models mean something to the buyer. You would end up with better code, which is again better for EVERY owner, regardless of which model they have.
How you can possibly think it's "better" to split the feature and code base is beyond me. It's literally worse for every party involved. Buyers get less for their money, and Stern has to do extra programming because they have two different environments. Premium features get underused, because they are often a minority feature, so there's not as much motivation to code up those things. The Ecto Goggles were criminally underused, but if they had been in every model, I'm sure more would have been done with them.
When I play a Dialed In, no matter which model I step up to, it's going to be the same game. There's a lot to be appreciated by that. With a Stern, there is going to be some arbitrarily cut feature (spinners or drops, usually) or some shoehorned extra (GoTLE upper playfield) in there.
Let the designers make the best game possible without having to come up with something to cut or something to add. Let them build the best game they can with the BoM allowed, and then sell the premiums and LEs for extra by adding more detailed toys, trim packages, and unique cosmetics.

Your pro stern is going to get an 40-50% inflation....even if I agree with u

#1437 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Looks similar for sure. In this photo the WWE looks more "shiny" and the GOTG looks a little more dull. We haven't got any really high res pics yet of GOTG so the armor could be identical.

Anyone do a pic of how those sparkly BM66 legs would look on this game?

#1438 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

#1439 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Oooooh Pinside!!
rd

Quoted from PtownPin:

I think it is Pointless to dispute about tastes of each one. Just my opinion.

#1440 2 years ago

Listening to he who shall not be named latest podcast, allegedly the LE armor decision came straight from the top!

And there are attempts being made to change it and get some songs in the game.

Doesn't sound a very democratic process as these kind of errors have been picked up by pretty much everyone here.....

Anyway no way will GOTG LE sell out like this.

Remember the days when LE'S used to be all gone in that first 24 hours?

#1441 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

gexchange posted some links to high res pics on dropbox earlier in the thread. The armor maybe the same color powder coat but that is where the similarity with WWE LE ends. Based on what is released so far I it appears to be a gold colored powder coat (like MMR LE) rather than gold plating.

#1442 2 years ago

Well, I must not be a fan of gold colored powder coat because I don’t like it on the MMRLE, WWWLE, or so far on this.

#1443 2 years ago

still funny to read about code, and those saying codes are done already on last STERN pins...

well, it is, if you're a lambda player (do not take this as negative of course), and playing for just playing

but for advanced players, its not, just because they bring more attention to rules, tactics, and than of course remaining bugs or things that could be tweaked (as for example some unbalanced scores), added or remove

making a short list back in time, none are completly done/finished/polished !

SW, AS, B66, GB, GOT, KISS, WWE, and finally TWD, which ok is done, this one is 2014...

#1444 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's not one size fits all. It's keeping all the core functionality in line. It's actually harder on Stern themselves to split the code base. They have two targets to code for, rather than one.
JJP and Spooky have one target. They differentiate their lines through cosmetic differences and they still make their LE/CE models mean something to the buyer. You would end up with better code, which is again better for EVERY owner, regardless of which model they have.
How you can possibly think it's "better" to split the feature and code base is beyond me. It's literally worse for every party involved. Buyers get less for their money, and Stern has to do extra programming because they have two different environments. Premium features get underused, because they are often a minority feature, so there's not as much motivation to code up those things. The Ecto Goggles were criminally underused, but if they had been in every model, I'm sure more would have been done with them.
When I play a Dialed In, no matter which model I step up to, it's going to be the same game. There's a lot to be appreciated by that. With a Stern, there is going to be some arbitrarily cut feature (spinners or drops, usually) or some shoehorned extra (GoTLE upper playfield) in there.
Let the designers make the best game possible without having to come up with something to cut or something to add. Let them build the best game they can with the BoM allowed, and then sell the premiums and LEs for extra by adding more detailed toys, trim packages, and unique cosmetics.

This is what i say for years.

Make one base model.
Ad stuff like a real backglass, topper ,highgloss decals,shaker, real lockbar,rgb led, enforced cabinet for the LE.
Just like the old day's where we have one model and extra's for the le, and skip the se.

#1445 2 years ago

Ive completed the first GOTG mod. Thoughts?

Grroot (resized).jpg

#1446 2 years ago

Not sure what everyone is talking about. Im in on a GOTG LE.

Art Blades look awesome. Backglass is awesome. Art package especially the translite is better. Shaker is a plus. The gold I guess we will see what it looks like in person. Worst case it's a trip to the Powder Shop for me. This game looks awesome. Not letting a specific color bum me out.

31454973a004197d44b242c98e2d6998--a-tiger-movie-quotes (resized).jpg

#1447 2 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Backglass is awesome. Art package especially the translite is better

I don't like the fact that 'Peter Quill' is not on the backglass (only Star Lord, I know it's the same person...)
I also think that the gold is not that bad.
And I don't like art blades...
But the LE has baby Groot on it !!!!

#1448 2 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Not sure what everyone is talking about. Im in on a GOTG LE.
Art Blades look awesome. Backglass is awesome. Art package especially the translite is better. Shaker is a plus. The gold I guess we will see what it looks like in person. Worst case it's a trip to the Powder Shop for me. This game looks awesome. Not letting a specific color bum me out.

I also like the LE . Not a big fan of the gold armor . Also not a big fan of the wallpaper blades I would rather see Mirror blades! Other than that it's all good !

#1449 2 years ago

Deck has been ordered!

#1450 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Deck has been ordered!

Make sure you go with the composite boards, they will hold up better in your harsh winters.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 4260 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 86.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside