50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg
There are 4,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 86.
#1301 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I venture to guess Stern knows a bit more about their “BOM” and what’s working for them versus what’s not
A few people that don’t like the way things are isn’t gonna change a thing
Let’s see how the LE sales go this time. Maybe people keep buying em. I doubt it but this is a great theme imo, again
Stern is packaging and selling fun pins. Hard core anal pinheads will always bitch and whine about this or that. That’s part of the fun and pinball experience!

LE sales are going to be poor on this one. Most of the people that I know that have been LE buyers are getting a premium or pro because of that fugly armor. Sad part is stern did try to step it up a little on this one with art blades and a shaker. Not enough to justify $3200 or $1300 in difference. The game looks great though and is going to play awesome!!

#1302 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If they want to make good money they do.
Long live the stripped down Pro!!

It will be their demise. People are sick if all the issues and Stern causes all of them. I agree to some extent.

The games should be made so they are all coded the same. Stern could sell the upgrades on their site for some things.

No issue with three magnets on premium and LE. They could write the same code to work on either model.

It's funny as they charge so much more for the premium and they never code anything to really take advantage of it as it's always onto the next.

Star Trek side lights, Aerosmith upper playfield, the list goes on and on.

#1303 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

If there is no sound/video (music, authentic actor voices, or movie clips) integration from the movie into the game, I wouldn’t be interested. I didn’t initially buy twd for this reason and waited a year after the release when pinsiders did remixes. Lest you think I am anti-stern, I am out of jjpotc for this reason. Prices are too high to be missing such fundamental things. Potc without Johnny depp, movie music or movie clips, just isn’t something I’m interested in. This is what makes the hobbit, tspp, Lotr, etc., so good to me.

Well, it seems no awesome soundtrack and no voices from movie? Marvel sound a-likes.

So, much will depend on what clever people can do with pinball browser in the future.

I know it costs more money but if Stern had got licensing to music/actors etc, this would have been a total hit ( with or without spinner )

#1304 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I venture to guess Stern knows a bit more about their “BOM” and what’s working for them versus what’s not
A few people that don’t like the way things are isn’t gonna change a thing
Let’s see how the LE sales go this time. Maybe people keep buying em. I doubt it but this is a great theme imo, again
Stern is packaging and selling fun pins. Hard core anal pinheads will always bitch and whine about this or that. That’s part of the fun and pinball experience!

“Hard core anal pinheads”
Sorry but that just doesn’t sound right Iceman!

#1305 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Well, it seems no awesome soundtrack and no voices from movie? Marvel sound a-likes.
So, much will depend on what clever people can do with pinball browser in the future.
I know it costs more money but if Stern had got licensing to music/actors etc, this would have been a total hit ( with or without spinner )

It was/is pure crap on X-Men and avengers. Imagine taf with studio voices.

#1306 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

First I have heard this. Source?

Feature matrix indicates: HD video scenes from the original film associated with game play modes

Now this could be like JJPOTC where they can only show scenes without faces; but I was hopeful we could see more than peoples backsides. Except in the case of Gamora because she has a nice ass.

#1307 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's not one size fits all. It's keeping all the core functionality in line. It's actually harder on Stern themselves to split the code base. They have two targets to code for, rather than one.

No differentiation is going to be free - they will all cost something in terms of times, materials, complexity, stocking.. something. The point is to pick ones that actually achieve the goal of differentiation and do so in a way that the net works out for the better.

Quoted from jar155:

How you can possibly think it's "better" to split the feature and code base is beyond me. It's literally worse for every party involved. Buyers get less for their money, and Stern has to do extra programming because they have two different environments. Premium features get underused, because they are often a minority feature, so there's not as much motivation to code up those things. The Ecto Goggles were criminally underused, but if they had been in every model, I'm sure more would have been done with them.

The bigger the differences... the more they serve as differentiation and that's the whole point to start with. If its purely cosmetic as you advocate... then it becomes harder to justify prices and harder to steer customers where you want.

Again, no differentiation comes free.. but software is easy to differentiate and when done right, it's a cost that goes down as you build more games. Spending 3 more days to code something in, is done once... and the gain is realized on every future game built. Software is easy to manipulate.

And I disagree about the ecto goggles.. they are what they are.

Quoted from jar155:

When I play a Dialed In, no matter which model I step up to, it's going to be the same game. There's a lot to be appreciated by that. With a Stern, there is going to be some arbitrarily cut feature (spinners or drops, usually) or some shoehorned extra (GoTLE upper playfield) in there.

And why the need to appreciate different games as the same game? Should CGC have neutered AFM for the motivation of "we want to ensure we its the same as AFM... no more, no less"? Do you appreciate two Stern games playing the same, even if different titles?

If they are the same title.. and play the same.. its harder to convince someone to pay more. Which at the end of the day.. is your goal.

Pinside hates car anaologies... but its because they are true. A V6 edition of a car can be very different from a V8 version of the car - they don't shove the V8 in every model because they want to hit certain price points or satisfy different customer interests. That is not wrong - that is product diversity. It's not a stupid cost model - its a proven one.

You can believe in the JJP 'just make the best game you can' model... and that's fine. But you are also going to face having to deal with difficulties hitting different price points. The "build only premium" product strategy is valid to choose.. but that doesn't invalidate the value or worth of a tiered product model.

You want premium games... fine. But what do you do when a customer comes to you and says "I would rather sacrafice that.. and get this". You tell them "you aren't our target customer". Not all businesses want to do that.

#1308 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Feature matrix indicates: HD video scenes from the original film associated with game play modes
Now this could be like JJPOTC where they can only show scenes without faces; but I was hopeful we could see more than peoples backsides. Except in the case of Gamora because she has a nice ass.

I think it's the similar to POTC. There will probably be some scenes of spaceships, Rocket, Groot but I don't think you will see Chris, Zoe or Dave on screen.

So... we don't know for sure yet but if they can't use actors' voices then who will be saying "I am Groot?" Anybody other than Vin wouldn't sound right to me. Pinball Browser to the rescue in that case.

#1309 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Look, I get why you don't like this policy. If Stern would change its ways you'd never consider buying anything other than a Stern Pro. But that's the point, right? Stern's job is to make it hard for you not to buy the Premium.

You're dead on. He just wants everyone to pick HIS strategy. Which is JJP.. which is fine.. he can buy those products. He's not willing to think beyond his himself or his interests.

#1310 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Look, I get why you don't like this policy. If Stern would change its ways you'd never consider buying anything other than a Stern Pro. But that's the point, right? Stern's job is to make it hard for you not to buy the Premium.

Both my JJPs are LE models. My last Stern NIB game was an LE, only because I preferred the LE art package over the premium. The argument doesn't hold weight that people wouldn't buy pros, because JJP and Spooky still sell their LE models just fine. There is always going to be a premium trim buyer.

Heck, even location JJPs are usually LE models that I come across, and they have almost no reason to upgrade to LE to put a game on location.

#1311 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Now people are being abused by stern LOL. Dramatic much???

Not going to apologize for the way I feel about it.

Just like MET, every collector I know with a Pro has gone throught the considerable expense and difficulty of installing spinners on their game, myself included. Everyone complained about it. Nobody I know that wasn't already inclined to by a premium/LE bought one just because it had spinners, they just hacked together some spinners as best they could on their pro.

So now Stern does the same thing with GotG. Maybe when they were copy and pasting the Metallica playfield layout they forgot to add spinners back to the Pro version.

It feels like Stern removes the spinners from the Pro just to spite the pro buyers. It's not justifiable as a material cost savings. It's just done to make them feel bad, basically. That's abusive behavior in my book.

And yes, no one is forced to buy the game, and no, I won't be buying the game. Just providing my perspective in the faint hope that someday it might move the yardstick in a positive direction. And if not, it's here, "for the record".

#1312 6 years ago

Product differentiation and pricing strategies are not soley driven by BOM.

Your prices need to support your BOM and margin strategy... your BOM does not define your prices or margin strategy.

"it only costs them $5" - the voice of someone who never has done product management or development.

What you charge is not about what it costs - its about what achieves the right balance of volume, margin, and market tolerance.

If you can't accept that reality - you will be bitter shopper forever.

#1313 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

every collector I know with a Pro has gone throught the considerable expense and difficulty of installing spinners on their game

I didn't. But I would in a hot second if they were supported by the code.

#1314 6 years ago

Stern should have tried to justify the LE pricing by adding something more than just different armor, blades, and a shaker. I'm happy they stepped up and added the shaker and blades (big move on their part), but they could have done so much more...i.e. upgraded glass, maybe an extended warranty, external volume and head phone jack ....if they added those other components I would bet they would sell out fast....

#1315 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

"it only costs them $5" - the voice of someone who never has done product management or development.

Except for that I do. I am part owner in a company that manufactures and develops its own product. Oh, and my dad owns a manufacturing company. I grew up my whole life around it.

We offer 4 models of our core product. Prices range from under $2,000 to over $5,000, and the core functionality is the EXACT same on each, but they differ in ways that are only meaningful to peoples' individual circumstances (some like stainless steel over powder coating, for example). The lowest-priced model is not our top seller, despite it doing everything people need it to do. People pay for luxury, but they also appreciate that you don't arbitrarily strip out features that don't cost the company any meaningful amount to implement. We've had those conversations with customers a million times.

#1316 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Your prices need to support your BOM and margin strategy... your BOM does not define your prices or margin strategy.
What you charge is not about what it costs - its about what achieves the right balance of volume, margin, and market tolerance.

Sure. But when a large portion of your customer base makes it clear that ripping spinners out of the pro is not making them happy, I'd argue that is a clear indication that "the right balance" hasn't been found, in this case.

#1317 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

How in God's name does Stern think it's okay to remove spinners??? That's a basic - relatively inexpensive - game feature that people love. BASIC!!!!
You've gotta be kidding me.
That company is pitifully shameless. I'd love to hear their rationale publicly spilled. It's obvious its their way of forcing folks to buy the more expensive model... but, geesh, it's almost childish.

Someone earlier mentoned a spinner mod as a solution (already done as a mod on other Stern games)? How did it work? Was it be setup to award points and make sounds when you hit it?

#1318 6 years ago

I was fortunate to have bought Tron Pro and IMVE for $9600 nib delivered

That’s great deal for those pins and I could have Met pro and TWD pro for the same or less depending on the deals.

I just got a second hand RR Woz with RadCals got a good deal so I didn’t pay full retail but had got price quote for nib and it was around $9600 iirc.

I’m not saying the best Woz is as good as two excellent Stern Pro pins but I can say that the Woz machine is exquisitely built and I can feel and see the extra qualit with JJP games at least Woz.

Contrast that with BM66 LE or SLE which cost 2x or 3x what I paid for Tron Pro it just doesn’t seem like that much extra quality going into the higher price Stern pins.

#1319 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Except for that I do. I am part owner in a company that manufactures and develops its own product. Oh, and my dad owns a manufacturing company. I grew up my whole life around it.
We offer 4 models of our core product. Prices range from under $2,000 to over $5,000, and the core functionality is the EXACT same on each, but they differ in ways that are only meaningful to peoples' individual circumstances (some like stainless steel over powder coating, for example). The lowest-priced model is not our top seller, despite it doing everything people need it to do. People pay for luxury, but they also appreciate that you don't arbitrarily strip out features that don't cost the company any meaningful amount to implement. We've had those conversations with customers a million times.

So you offer different product tiers based on functional differences and needs... and let me guess.. the price differences aren't purely the true cost differences.

"only meaningful to peoples' individual circumstances" - you mean... offering choices to fit the customer's desires/needs? Hrmm.. sounds shocking like.. offering tiered products!

Your analogy is poor because clearly for the application you are citing.. one feature set can fit all within your margin needs.

My post you commented on stands true - Your price isn't defined solely by the material cost. If you do that for your main revenue streams.. you're pricing is either in a highly competitive, low margin market... or you're missing out. Luxury/exccess products are not priced the same as utilitarian, commodity products. BOM is only a piece of the puzzle... and what kind of market you are selling in will dictate how significant it is.

#1320 6 years ago

They get the music in there somehow, they sell me

#1321 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Both. They should be there. If they were on every model, the coders are more likely to use them meaningfully. It's not just spinners though, it's any gameplay element that they strip out for the pros. They don't need to do that. People still buy LEs/CEs from JJP or Spooky despite no differences in gameplay.
Give LEs and premiums these sorts of things:
- Included headphone kits

Yeah, because everyone (most) want to play with headphones on (LOL!).
I have headphones on my much of the time connected to my cell phone so I'm the exception,
but most don't even have wired headphones anyone in the a bluetooth world.
Better would be a bluetooth option for pinball haha.

#1322 6 years ago

This reminds me of Apple's strategy on pricing based on storage capacity - e.g. 16GB is 300, 32 GB is 400, 64 GB is 500 for the same model otherwise. It costs nowhere near $100 to add that amount of memory but they know people will pay it.

#1323 6 years ago

I've been ripping the spinner on my Aero Pro for the last 10 minutes.

This must be a great machine if the only thing people can bitch about is Stern's Pro vs. Premium strategy!

#1324 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Sure. But when a large portion of your customer base makes it clear that ripping spinners out of the pro is not making them happy, I'd argue that is a clear indication that "the right balance" hasn't been found, in this case.

The differentiation is about the sum of the parts. You could take any one piece and say the same thing... people would want that one piece. It's difficult to make any one piece a solid differentiator... so you use a collection of features.

Most arguments I've seen over the years for this is purely the "man, that only costs X!!" instead of "I don't want to play a game if it didn't have spinners". It's people picking apart the decision to have different models more than it is about the feature itself IMO.

#1325 6 years ago

Ordered a Premium yesterday. Really into this layout. May sell my Scared Stiff or Funhouse fund it not sure.

#1326 6 years ago

The Truth is that the LE trim color scheme is basically the Thanos Edition style of trim...

1ThanosLEgotg (resized).png1ThanosLEgotg (resized).png

#1327 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

K man podcast!

#1328 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

It was/is pure crap on X-Men and avengers. Imagine taf with studio voices.

X-Men's voices were terrible, but to be fair - they weren't trying to imitate the movie actors.

Avengers is a mixed bag. Their fake Thor, Loki, and Hulk were very good IMO. Cap, IM, Widow were bad

I think people forget how good the fake JARVIS was on Iron Man. Sounds exactly like Paul Bettany.

It should not be hard to get very good sound-alikes for Rocket & Drax...those would be great custom character voices to make fun of the player & add tons of humor.

It's a total stretch but I'd love John C. Reilly as a custom voice....

#1329 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Well, its safe to say then that Stern keeps attempting to create a larger profit margin by reducing features and quality. At these prices there's not an excuse for that and it won't stop until sales slow.

Asking for a $5 spinner on a $5500 game that heavily resembles Metallica yet has all plastic ramps instead of metal ones is not asking much.

I can accept that this is reality, as will others by just not choosing to buy the game.

#1330 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The differentiation is about the sum of the parts. You could take any one piece and say the same thing... people would want that one piece. It's difficult to make any one piece a solid differentiator... so you use a collection of features.
Most arguments I've seen over the years for this is purely the "man, that only costs X!!" instead of "I don't want to play a game if it didn't have spinners". It's people picking apart the decision to have different models more than it is about the feature itself IMO.

Generically sure, but in this case, enough people identified the removal of the spinners in MET as a major annoyance that if I was Stern's product manager I would take that feedback and keep the spinners in from them on, because it's a very inexpensive way for me to make the Pro buyers feel good about buying their games, and also a cheap way to show that I'm listening to feedback. I don't know anybody who was annoyed that their Met Pro didn't come with a rising cross mech, or a physical ball lock. People focus on the low cost of the spinners because they went ahead and bought them for $20 each at pinball life.

If you KNOW that an important customer segment is sensitive to the removal of a feature, and it costs peanuts to keep it in the game, then do so.

Spinners! Don't mess with our spinners, man!

#1331 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

X-Men's voices were terrible, but to be fair - they weren't trying to imitate the movie actors.
Avengers is a mixed bag. Their fake Thor, Loki, and Hulk were very good IMO. Cap, IM, Widow were bad
I think people forget how good the fake JARVIS was on Iron Man. Sounds exactly like Paul Bettany.
It should not be hard to get very good sound-alikes for Rocket & Drax...those would be great custom character voices to make fun of the player & add tons of humor.
It's a total stretch but I'd love John C. Reilly as a custom voice....

That wasn’t Paul Bettany in the Iron Man machine.......holy crap. I’ve owned the game for 2 years, I always assumed it was him.

#1332 6 years ago

I'm really stoked to see what the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy indoor ROLLER COASTER will be like in Disney World's EPCOT which will be replacing Ellen's Energy Ride.

guar0874324 (resized).jpgguar0874324 (resized).jpg

#1333 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hard core anal

Fun fact: that was the code name for Star Wars during production

#1334 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Exactly. Stern's viewing spinners as an added value extra, but we know it's a $5 item. That won't cause a price hike on the Pro. "Bling" like moving Rocket & opening orb are the type of differences that are OK since they don't affect anything the ball interacts with. Would be nice to see spinners on Pro, and some other bling on the Prem/LE to compensate. Something like figurines of the other characters that light up when their shots are collected...or a ship with lighting or movement....or a cool topper.

Put all the fun to play stuff on the cheap model! Put a bunch of non-interactive "bling" that half of the pinball community doesn't care about on the expensive model! Sit back and watch sales of your Premium machines plummet!

Great advice from the buyer's perspective. Lousy business advice for Stern.

#1335 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

That wasn’t Paul Bettany in the Iron Man machine.......holy crap. I’ve owned the game for 2 years, I always assumed it was him.

Thought it was him also.

#1336 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Put all the fun to play stuff on the cheap model! Put a bunch of non-interactive "bling" that half of the pinball community doesn't care about on the expensive model! Sit back and watch sales of your Premium machines plummet!
Great advice from the buyers perspective. Lousy business advice for Stern.

But...JJP puts all the gameplay in their standard model and it's still not the most popular one. They still sell more LEs than standards. It might actually get more people to buy a new machine rather than a used game or two as well. When the new game has a no-compromise (in regards to gameplay, anyway) entry that isn't much higher than a lot of new games, the new game looks more attractive. Stern had no trouble selling out the Black Spider-Man or the Gold Lord of the Rings games. Neither offered more in regards to gameplay.

#1337 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Great advice from the buyers perspective. Lousy business advice for Stern.

We’re talking about a f*cking spinner. The Hyperloop toy on SW is a great example of a Premium type of feature. Another great example is the left ramp popping up and revealing a zombie head on TWD. A spinner is an off the shelf pinball part. Find a better way to justify your price gouging.

Edit: The Groot hands are a great way to do it too by the way, but not a spinner.

#1338 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Great advice from the buyer's perspective. Lousy business advice for Stern.

Not true. People buying LE's are buying PURELY for the superficial extras. Extra mechs/lighting that make the game cooler is absolutely a selling point for Premiums/LEs. People love Met Pro, but Met Prem has done quite well. I love Met Prem/LE, even though the rising cross, hammer, and multi-color GI aren't necessary for gameplay. They make the game more "alive". Plenty of people will pay more for that extra life. I didn't just buy Met LE for the spinners lol...I'd be fine if those were on the Pro.

#1339 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

JJP puts all the gameplay in their standard model

You mean the $8500 standard model? What do they put in their $5500 model?

#1340 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

We’re talking about a f*cking spinner. The Hyperloop toy on SW is a great example of a Premium type of feature. Another great example is the left ramp popping up and revealing a zombie head. A spinner is an off the shelf pinball part. Find a better way to justify your price gouging.

Some people are talking about a spinner. Some people are talking about having zero difference in how the Pro and Premium/LE games play. Regardless, you don't have to like it but it's obvious why Stern would do this -- they need to make the Premium and LE more desirable. If it's got more stuff on the playfield, it's more desirable to many people.

Quoted from jar155:

But...JJP puts all the gameplay in their standard model and it's still not the most popular one. They still sell more LEs than standards. It might actually get more people to buy a new machine rather than a used game or two as well. When the new game has a no-compromise (in regards to gameplay, anyway) entry that isn't much higher than a lot of new games, the new game looks more attractive. Stern had no trouble selling out the Black Spider-Man or the Gold Lord of the Rings games. Neither offered more in regards to gameplay.

JJP LEs (their mid-tier machine) are a different case. They're only 12% more expensive (vs a 33% jump from Stern Pro to Stern Premium) and they include stuff that's presumably somewhat expensive for JJP to add (shaker, invisiglass). That's great for the buyer, but how much additional profit do you think JJP makes on an LE sale vs a Standard? Can't be close to what Stern clears on a Premium sale vs a Pro. A better comparison would be sales of JJP's LE vs their CE (the % price increase is more similar, and the enhancements are more purely aesthetic and probably cheaper for JJP).

Again, you don't have to like the model or support it with purchases, but it makes business sense to try and incentivize all of your customers to step up a tier when they buy one of your games. Not just the buyers that are motivated by different playfield art or non-interactive toys.

#1341 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

We’re talking about a f*cking spinner. The Hyperloop toy on SW is a great example of a Premium type of feature. Another great example is the left ramp popping up and revealing a zombie head. A spinner is an off the shelf pinball part. Find a better way to justify your price gouging.

this!

the difference should be in cosmetic, trims, backglass, PF support, different artwork, even shaker, topper.
not a $5 part, it's ridiculous and they have to change the code, something they already struggle with, lol.
things that are really worth it.

What's Next?, remove the pop bumpers, they don't do much anyway ''let's put rubber post instead, yeah let's do it''
One inlane at the top instead of 2 or 3, ''ball will fall down with only one anyway, yeah, yeah let's do it'' multipliers will be on the slingshots... if we don't remove them'' bah let them buy a premium if they want it''

where does it stop?

'' oh yeah, i got it, let put frickin giant hands on the pf that does ab-so-lu-te-ly nothing, except annoying the player... brillant''.

#1342 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

You mean the $8500 standard model? What do they put in their $5500 model?

You're missing the point. People still buy the $9500 model anyway. And adding a couple of spinners won't jack the price up to $8500.

JJP games cost more because they're smaller run and they put much nicer components in them. They have a much higher bill of materials due to several factors. It's not because they don't rip out $20-$30 worth of parts from the standard.

#1343 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

You're missing the point.

Actually you missed the point. JJP doesn't have a Pro model. They basically have a Premium and an LE. On DI they added a third level similar to the BM66 SLE.

#1344 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Actually you missed the point. JJP doesn't have a Pro model. They basically have a Premium and an LE. On DI they added a third level similar to the BM66 SLE.

AND PEOPLE ARE STILL BUYING THE HIGHER TRIM. WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND HERE?!

Collectors will still buy whatever is perceived to be better. You don't have to gimp out your entry model. That. Is. The. Point.

#1345 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

AND PEOPLE ARE STILL BUYING THE HIGHER TRIM. WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND HERE?!
Collectors will still buy whatever is perceived to be better. You don't have to gimp out your entry model. That. Is. The. Point.

Just because some "collectors" will buy anything with some gold paint and a number plate slapped on it doesn't mean you maximize profit that way. If you can sell substantially more of your mid-tier product by doing what Stern does (or to stoop to a cargument, offer an upgraded engine and not just leather seats on your LE), and the increased cost of adding and servicing those enhancements is offset by your increased profits, then why in the world wouldn't you?

#1346 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

People are still buying stern pros and the reaction to guardians has been excellent.

What is so hard to understand here?

If you want a game with spinners, but a premium. it’s still cheaper than an entry-level jjp.

We all keep missing each other’s points!!

#1347 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

im guessing you also think car manufactures should make the base model have all the same features as the highest model and the only thing the higher model should have is a fancy paint job, bigger wheels and a grill?

Edit: damnit fosaisu beat me to the cargument.

#1348 6 years ago

You guys with the idea that a spinner only costs a couple bucks, have no clue what the total hardware costs are. That one added spinner will require, the spinner hardware and I'm sure a NEW NODE board because any currently in the pro are being fully used. Along with additional wiring, install labor etc none of us know the true cost, but I can guarantee it isn't a couple dollars.

Look it's simple, Stern has a business model. Cheaper pros at a particular price point, then add features/value to get a premium and then add something to entice LE buyers. If you don't like it don't buy it, but quit trying to tell Stern how to run THEIR company. It's getting really old.

I know damn well they sell more pinballs, than any of you whiners trying to tell them how to run their company have ever sold...

#1349 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People are still buying stern pros and the reaction to guardians has been excellent.
What is so hard to understand here?
If you want a game with spinners, but a premium. it’s still cheaper than an entry-level jjp.

The ends don't justify the means. It's never cool to piss off your customers if it can be easily avoided, something Stern has yet to realize.

Plenty of collectors in my area are done with Stern NiB purchases, and this is a recent development. Many of them would buy the latest games as soon as they were announced. No more. The chicken's are coming home to roost from what I can see.

#1350 6 years ago

Not a fan of the gold trim on the LE but it does have a mirrored backglass and they do look 100x better than translites.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
$ 28.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

There are 4,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 86.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-here/page/27?hl=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.