50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg
There are 4,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 86.
#1051 6 years ago

You don't say!

#1052 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Five years ago a pin didn't cost 8K either.

It's a good thing this one is only just over $5K then.

#1053 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I don't understand about the music. Where was it explained? I always thought "Original Score" was the music used in the film. The rights for many of those older songs are not hard to get nor very expensive.

Score is the music made for the film
Soundtrack would be the music USED in the film... including existing songs that were used in the film (aka... all the 70s music the film was known for)

#1054 6 years ago

Is this "quote" reference to the Pearl Jam album...
no_code_logo_pearl_jam (resized).jpgno_code_logo_pearl_jam (resized).jpg

#1055 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Five years ago a pin didn't cost 8K either. The higher they get the higher the quality should be and the more attention should be paid to details. I am not being negative but that is my opinion. The pin looks cool and I look forward to playing it but I wouldn't be busting a gut to buy it.

Prices are only rising because there is (1) demand and (2) people are willing to pay.

"the higher the quality should be and the more attention should be paid to details..."

That's your customer desire talking, not reality of pricing works in this case.

#1056 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I don't understand about the music. Where was it explained? I always thought "Original Score" was the music used in the film. The rights for many of those older songs are not hard to get nor very expensive.

Score = orchestral
Soundtrack = licensed songs

#1057 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Technically speaking, you could... Since the ramps are a thermoplastic you could in theory mold them without the overlap and then use a post process step to locally heat and bend one area to get the crossover. I'm sure STERN chooses to do the two parts because it makes the tooling simpler and total cost with the assembly is probably less than trying a post process as described before.
Regardless, as others have mentioned, I would have much preferred to see wire forms return from the connection point than another plastic ramp butted up against the other.

Technically you couldn't. They are vacuum formed and therefore it can't cross. As for the thickness, the thinner it is the easier it is to mold. Especially polycarbonate which it a b1tch to form.

#1058 6 years ago

Where did it say that they NOT using any tracks?

#1059 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

It's a good thing this one is only just over $5K then.

5K for the base model.

All of the older, great Stern titles were at 3.8K-5K (FGY, POTC, LOTR, SM) and all would be Premium models today.

#1060 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Beastmaster is all in on the "This food is horrible...and such small portions!" gambit with this game, no?
It wouldn't be "a few more months," unless you think they can just throw that stuff into the game in a week. Besides, Stern often releases a game 2 movies into a series, this is pretty common for them. Makes sense - you get a whole new round of interest whenever a new film comes out.

beatmaster... more is always better, good food, gimme more. what about vol1 and 2. like star trek? both movies?
what i'm saying is a trilogy would have been great, even if we have to wait a year or two (yeah, it's more than a few months).

#1061 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

5K for the base model.

Yup. Thankfully there is a manufacturer that makes NiB machines in this price range. They are actually, *gasp*, fun to play as well!

#1062 6 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Is this "quote" reference to the Pearl Jam album...

I tried to link the youtube video with the entire mix tape 1, but I suck at the computers and failed miserably...then gave up

#1063 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

beatmaster... more is always better, good food, gimme more. what about vol1 and 2. like star trek? both movies?
what i'm saying is a trilogy would have been great, even if we have to wait a year or two (yeah, it's more than a few months).

They could have based the game off of the first two movies, much like the IM pin. It might have taken a few more months time, but it would have been worth it IMHO.

#1064 6 years ago

we don't need all the tracks from the movie but c'mon ooga ooga ooga chaka when you start a ball.....

#1065 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

My take on GOTG after a day to look at it
Art
Might be too colorful for some but I like it and think it's very well done. For me the pro has the best art package and the LE is my least favorite. I'm just not a huge fan of how the trim looks on it. Maybe it looks better in person. I love the inserts on this game!!!! They are the best looking inserts I have seen in pinball to date. I love the characters on the corresponding shots.
Layout
Nothing ground breaking but I like the mixed feel of IM and MET. Those ramps are in sweat locations and are going to be super smooth to shoot. Looks like 8 shots? Which is a lot for a standard body.
Toys
Lots of toys on this one even if it's nothing new. We get the ST drop target lock, Rocket is pretty much the war machine kick back which is my favorite kick back in pinball, 1-3 magnets which with good coding should be a lot of fun, and a talking groot head that is a bash toy and ball lock. The premium also gets the hands which look cool but may end up being a negative. Full RGB lighting on the premium/LE which I believe is Borg's first game with all RGB lighting.
Code
Don't know for sure but based on the rule sheet it will be a straight forward mode based game were everything on the playfield is used to increase values or add multipliers that last the length of the ball. 2 multiballs and 2 wizard modes. While I love what Lyman does I'm glad to have a straight forward easy to understand approach on this one. The code is going to make it feel very different then MET and if the modes are well done this is going to be a really fun game. They need to have the character shots well integrated for each mode and not just shoot the random blinking light. I want to be fighting bad guys and collecting characters to help based on how the mode went in the movies.
Sounds
Time will tell but the lack on song rights in a big let down. Stern should have spent a little extra coin and got a couple of them. If the original score is done well it might end up OK though. No TWD redneck or XMEN beast or everyone will be pissed.
If the code and sounds can come together stern is going to have a hit with this one. If they don't it will be a great shooting game that could have been so much more. I'm leaning towards picking up a premium on this one but like all Borg games the pro is going to be the best value and you won't lose much in game play. I mainly just want the full RGB lighting that the premium has.

I dont believe its full rgb lighting? Pretty sure its just red, white, blue gi and just the arrow inserts are rgb on pro and premium/le models? Like on met ....

#1066 6 years ago

I don’t think anyone has pointed out yet that the score for the pinball machine is by a different composer than the movie score. The movie score was by Tyler Bates, but the pinball machine was Ken Hale. Looks like Stern didn’t license the official score. I already decided that I’m going to pass on this one, but thought I’d point it out.

#1067 6 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

Technically you couldn't. They are vacuum formed and therefore it can't cross. As for the thickness, the thinner it is the easier it is to mold. Especially polycarbonate which it a b1tch to form.

Not to get into a pissing match, but yes, technically you can, I've done it myself on custom projects. After they are vacuum formed you can still reheat a section and bend it to cross it over.

#1068 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Yup. Thankfully there is a manufacturer that makes NiB machines in this price range. They are actually, *gasp*, fun to play as well!

Fun, but not worth it when compared to those titles of yore.

The pricing is ridiculous for all of these games (Stern and JJP).

#1069 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I doubt one person on this forum could recognize the Guardians score if they heard it. There's no emotional attachment. It's not like Star Wars. And is the theme music even good for pinball? No idea, as I can't remember it. lol.
It's not a huge deal, but for me, the missing soundtrack is the difference between a must buy and a maybe buy. Game looks cool, but so do my other games.
No harm in discussing what could have been.

You can put those doubts at ease

I love listening to the scores of the MCU. I have my Avengers pin loaded up with the scores from Avengers, Iron Man 3, Civil War, Agents of Shield, but they're edited in such a way that it flows.

That being said, while the GOTG main theme is cool and used very well during the infinity stone scene, I really don't see how it would work well with a pin. Now getting the soundtrack loaded up on there would be fun.

#1070 6 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I don’t think anyone has pointed out yet that the score for the pinball machine is by a different composer than the movie score. The movie score was by Tyler Bates, but the pinball machine was Ken Hale. Looks like Stern didn’t license the official score. I already decided that I’m going to pass on this one, but thought I’d point it out.

So completely new music/sounds.

Who is Ken Hale?

#1071 6 years ago

I just happened to have dusted off my first run Sony Walkman, installed new battery, and threw in a cassette mix.
My 21 year old never saw one in person...he freaked out compared to his iPod, and phone....thought it was silly.
I think if this game shows up here, I'll leave the walkman on the glass, with the soundtrack, and pretend I'm Star lord when I play.

#1072 6 years ago

Not sure how many of these songs will go with pinball anyway. If there are a few that work, they can easily be dumped into the software file and loaded into the game.

#1073 6 years ago

Gorilla-Man.

PS - Not really, but I did do a double take to see if they were just making a Marvel joke.

#1074 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I dont believe its full rgb lighting? Pretty sure its just red, white, blue gi and just the arrow inserts are rgb on pro and premium/le models? Like on met ....

Feature matrix says RGB LED lighting for all inserts on the premium/LE unless that is a misprint.

#1075 6 years ago

Here’s the only Ken Hale composer I found on IMDB.

http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0354956/

#1076 6 years ago

Ken Hale makes music for commercials, scores, sound design, etc.
http://www.whatthehalemusic.com/about.html

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So completely new music/sounds.
Who is Ken Hale?

#1077 6 years ago

Right, all inserts RGB on the premium/LE. GI is red/white and blue on the premium/LE (not RGB).
Arrow inserts are RGB on the PRO and GI is WHITE.

Quoted from jgentry:

Feature matrix says RGB LED lighting for all inserts on the premium/LE unless that is a misprint.

#1078 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I have a Met Premium.......I cant wait to play Guardians!

Of course I would like to play it too
But I was talking about buying one (when you already have a Met in your line-up)

#1079 6 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

They shake during jazz hands multiball.

I would actually go in on a Premium just for that. Not so much not doing a thing, which is sad. Because this game looks great otherwise.

#1080 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

But I was talking about buying one (when you already have a Met in your line-up)

I don't get this line of thinking.

Do MM and AfM play exactly the same? Because the lay outs are pretty much identical.

Do LotR and Sopranos play exactly the same? Because the lay outs are pretty much identical.

Do Austin Powers and IM play exactly the same? Because the lay outs are pretty much identical.

Do Kiss and Aerosmith play exactly the same? Because the lay outs are pretty much identical.

etc, etc, etc.

#1081 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Right, all inserts RGB on the premium/LE. GI is red/white and blue on the premium/LE (not RGB).
Arrow inserts are RGB on the PRO and GI is WHITE.

The pictures posted of the Prem/LE sure don't look like fully RGB inserts. Just the arrows. Hope I am wrong, but if you look at the pictures of say STLE it looks very different when all of the inserts are RGB.

#1082 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

From the pictures it looks like just the clear arrows? Guess will see soon ....

#1083 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

The pictures posted of the Prem/LE sure don't look like fully RGB inserts. Just the arrows. Hope I am wrong, but if you look at the pictures of say STLE it looks very different when all of the inserts are RGB.

Yea i hope its all rgb also but the pictures show otherwise.

#1084 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Do MM and AfM play exactly the same? Because the lay outs are pretty much identical.
Do LotR and Sopranos play exactly the same? Because the lay outs are pretty much identical.
Do Austin Powers and IM play exactly the same? Because the lay outs are pretty much identical.
Do Kiss and Aerosmith play exactly the same? Because the lay outs are pretty much identical.
etc, etc, etc.

And then that are the same shooting axis. Even if you did not make the shot in the same order, same sequence, same...what that make games playing different, you are just doing the same shot.

And from what I see, GOTG and Met layout are not pretty much identical but identical.

But I really like the artwork and how this one is loaded. I would be happy to play it. And if the gameplay is really great and original movie soundtrack could be loaded in the game, I would have no problem to sell my Met to fund this GOTG.

Rendez vous in around a year when code is completed to take a decision.

#1085 6 years ago

Movie spoilers, but CinemaSins just posted "everything wrong with GotG2"

#1086 6 years ago

This game will play way differently than Metallica due to the rocket kicker, under playfield magnets, and drop target shot. Not to mention a totally different rule-set.

The playfield is only 20.25" wide. There are only so many possible shot locations. Especially in a fan layout that everyone loves. This game will be fun and you won't feel like you are playing Metallica.

I don't feel like I'm playing Iron Man when I play the crappy Austin Powers game.

#1087 6 years ago

At least we know what Iron maiden will look like...

eddie iron maiden (resized).jpgeddie iron maiden (resized).jpg

#1088 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

etc, etc, etc.

Just looking at my MET and LOTR. They have almost the exact same shots. Do they feel remotely similar? Hell no!

#1089 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Prices are only rising because there is (1) demand and (2) people are willing to pay.
"the higher the quality should be and the more attention should be paid to details..."
That's your customer desire talking, not reality of pricing works in this case.

Ok then, I guess that is why Gary is taking people for a ride with same old same old designs, code that is never finished, node boards that burn out, cabs that split, inserts that ghost and clear than comes off in sheets and yet you still bend over and pull down your pants and scream take my money. And no, that is not the way it works everywhere else. I do get capitalism and pricing according to what the market will bare but you don't HAVE to have a pinball machine. better quality demands a better price. You pay more for solid wood than particle board.

#1090 6 years ago

Welp, looks like I have to sell Baywatch already to fund this! DAMN IT ALL

#1091 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Of course I would like to play it too

I hear ya man..... Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a similar layout.....IF the code is there. I love the theme and layout.

#1092 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Welp, looks like I have to sell Baywatch already to fund this! DAMN IT ALL

very bad decision!

that said, I think we all knew it was coming...

#1093 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

very bad decision!
that said, I think we all knew it was coming...

On the bright side, you know it'll be up for trade faster than most people can get it shipped to them.

#1094 6 years ago

I'm sorry, but the gold trim on the LE is FUGLY!!!

#1095 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Very strange design decision. There is a blue and a green main character, not anything gold. I believe they had those left from WWE, cannot figure out why else they would use that color.

#1096 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I wish for the LE they had done a Milano themed cabinet/armor.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1097 6 years ago

1ymf9x (resized).jpg1ymf9x (resized).jpg

#1098 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Ok then, I guess that is why Gary is taking people for a ride with same old same old designs, code that is never finished, node boards that burn out, cabs that split, inserts that ghost and clear than comes off in sheets and yet you still bend over and pull down your pants and scream take my money. And no, that is not the way it works everywhere else. I do get capitalism and pricing according to what the market will bare but you don't HAVE to have a pinball machine. better quality demands a better price. You pay more for solid wood than particle board.

All those issues you listed are true to some extent or another...but look through this thread and you'll see there are plenty of people willing to buy at the current price. And pinside is only a sliver of the buying market. As long as people pay, they will continue to incrementally bump up the price.

Better quality definitely demands a better price. But a higher price in no way indicates (or guarantees) better quality.

Gary is taking no one for a ride. Anyone buying a $5K-$9K non-essential toy should be 100% aware of a manufacturer's history and quality practices. If not, that's their problem, not Stern's problem. Yet, somehow, folks kick and scream every single time a game has widespread issues (be it unsupported code, poorly designed electronics, etc). You drop the cash, you're taking a risk. Read the warranty... educate yourself.

Don't like it? Don't buy it.

Feel like taking a risk? Go for it.

#1099 6 years ago

More visualizations of mod ideas. Branches/roots on the ramps similar to what Back Alley did with TWD railroad tracks could be really cool. The scoop plastic I think can be better incorporated with the theme - not sure if it'll fit but the infiniti gauntlet where all the gems light up and represent one of the awards could be a cool alternative. Since the Orb is stationary on the pro, this is screaming for a better visualization of the infiniti gem inside - larger gem with more reflective lighting would make it look less like the basic clamshell it is. honeycomb flipper toppers. Also, the red flasher dome covers don't match well with the groot stickers on the ramps, I think a green or custom aqua colored dome would integrate better. Getting a tape player in there somewhere would be cool too, not sure where to keep the scaling looking right...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1100 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stern isn't selling creativity. They're selling a licensed product. They're not assuming that every potential customer already has a Stern pinball, let alone a similar Borg game. Their market: People who like GOTG & want a pinball machine.
Also, we go through this every time a new game is revealed. Someone always says "this is a clone of that" ...but slight differences in geometry & rulesets go a long way to make a similar game play TOTALLY different. Case in point - Borg tweaked Austin Powers into Iron Man. They literally have the same exact ramps and a similar bash toy - yet no one thinks the games play anything alike. He also tweaked Space Jam into Stern NBA. They play nothing alike. So, GOTG looks a bit like Met and/or IM...but, I guarantee the rules will be NOTHING like those games. IM = the simple yet challenging 2010-era rules. Met = Radically unique Lyman Sheets rules ...from the looks of it, GOTG is going to have more of a traditional story mode based rule set.

Great points, Rare. Besides, some of the GREATEST games ever from the vaunted WMS era are practically clones of another. Look at Lawlor's game progression... and the strong lines of similarities among his games ran from Williams right into Stern and into JJP.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 25.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,495 (Firm)
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 4,260 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 86.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-here/page/22?hl=markp99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.