2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,260 posts
  • 503 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mnluz
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 392 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CDC61D8B-FD6A-4D64-A69E-01294E9E947B (resized).png
ED493CEB-E58E-4946-97C9-FCCE99E36547 (resized).jpeg
F119E176-AD5E-4740-8FF9-BD0F26A2515A (resized).jpeg
61CCCECE-2607-4D17-96C7-E30F907A1F0D (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3864 (resized).jpg
Jam (resized).png
2A4B0C7A-AF2B-44C4-A323-A95C678D5DC6 (resized).jpeg
50146242-6525-4B6F-A6E3-2AFD65C96BB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2200.jpg
orca-image-1514668461402.jpg_1514668461799 (resized).jpeg
6 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Guardians Title (resized).jpg
IMG_1137.JPG
1079jeb (resized).jpg

There are 4260 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 86.
#1001 2 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Does anybody know who is doing the code for this machine?

Tanio/Lonnie/Waison.

#1002 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I should mention, I think Franchi crushed it, the artwork is phenomenal
Stern has some awesome talent in that dept for sure

I agree even if the center mod area seems weak to me.

#1003 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Have to admit we're getting hyper picky now. 5 Years ago, if GOTG was released, everyone would have lost it. Le's sold out in 15 minutes. Best game ever, etc etc. Now its like, "too similar", "too colourful", "too busy", "the music is not perfect", "the toys are too big, too small, too many", "the armour is not the perfect shade of....".
Kind of a compliment to the industry though. We are fortunate we can afford to be this picky. Every game has to jump a pretty high bar to get a spot in my limited space. Especially as the ones already in that space are pretty f*n good.

Sorry but « too similar » is a fact. This is Metallica layout. Safe game but where is creativity?
Anyway I really love the theme but right now I can’t pass the fact that I do not have enough money to buy a game that shoots the same as one I own.
As I said, theme is much more appealing to me than Metallica I don’t care the band. However I love the game and how it plays. So if GOTG is better I would probably put the trigger on it in a year or more when code is completed and sell my Met.
I really appreciate that Stern seems to take consideration about pinheads complains coz this game is beautiful and well loaded with some back standards like back glass and shaker for LE.

#1004 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you know they could purposely add sound segments into the code to allow pinbrowser users to edit and add the songs in. Kind of like...we can't do it, but you can kind of situation. It's a win win. and all could be done with a couple of key files placed in the code. They wouldn't even have to make a sound. Just a placeholder, so if you insert a song in that spot, it triggers when you start that mode or multiball.

Yep but it needs to last as a music song to make the replacement.
That would be effectively great that the way of coding this sound package can figure it.

#1005 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Sorry but « too similar » is a fact. This is Metallica layout. Safe game but where is creativity?

Stern isn't selling creativity. They're selling a licensed product. They're not assuming that every potential customer already has a Stern pinball, let alone a similar Borg game. Their market: People who like GOTG & want a pinball machine.

Also, we go through this every time a new game is revealed. Someone always says "this is a clone of that" ...but slight differences in geometry & rulesets go a long way to make a similar game play TOTALLY different. Case in point - Borg tweaked Austin Powers into Iron Man. They literally have the same exact ramps and a similar bash toy - yet no one thinks the games play anything alike. He also tweaked Space Jam into Stern NBA. They play nothing alike. So, GOTG looks a bit like Met and/or IM...but, I guarantee the rules will be NOTHING like those games. IM = the simple yet challenging 2010-era rules. Met = Radically unique Lyman Sheets rules ...from the looks of it, GOTG is going to have more of a traditional story mode based rule set.

#1006 2 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Does anybody know who is doing the code for this machine?

Yes it’s Lonnie Ropp.

#1007 2 years ago

Was really looking forward to this title, but without the songs from the movie, I don't think I will pull the trigger.

Artwork is fantastic, and not being a fan of the band Metallica but love the flow of that game, the layout appeals to me.

The Walkman should have featured.

#1008 2 years ago
Quoted from tonyoz:

Was really looking forward to this title, but without the songs from the movie, I don't think I will pull the trigger.

Can someone explain to me how these songs work for pinball outside of using them for attract mode or high score entry? I don’t think they would fit as part of the game at all. Would be cool to have them during the end of game track, attract mode, or high score entry though.

Also having a Walkman as the center piece of this game would be the lamest thing ever imo. Groot head for the win for me. Looks awesome and I bet it plays even better.

It looks like this game will have no options to choose a song or to choose a character. That’s good imo.

#1009 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Can someone explain to me how these songs work for pinball outside of using them for attract mode or high score entry? I don’t think they would fit as part of the game at all. Would be cool to have them during the end of game track, attract mode, or high score entry though.
Also having a Walkman as the center piece of this game would be the lamest thing ever imo. Groot head for the win for me. Looks awesome and I bet it plays even better.
It looks like this game will have no options to choose a song or to choose a character. That’s good imo.

I wish it had some of the music in it but it’s not a deal breaker for me and if it was in the mode selection it would basically be like another music pin, and no way would I want that with this title here. Groot is going to be sweet!

#1010 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stern isn't selling creativity. They're selling a licensed product. They're not assuming that every potential customer already has a Stern pinball, let alone a similar Borg game. Their market: People who like GOTG & want a pinball machine.
Also, we go through this every time a new game is revealed. Someone always says "this is a clone of that" ...but slight differences in geometry & rulesets go a long way to make a similar game play TOTALLY different. Case in point - Borg tweaked Austin Powers into Iron Man. They literally have the same exact ramps and a similar bash toy - yet no one thinks the games play anything alike. He also tweaked Space Jam into Stern NBA. They play nothing alike. So, GOTG looks a bit like Met and/or IM...but, I guarantee the rules will be NOTHING like those games. IM = the simple yet challenging 2010-era rules. Met = Radically unique Lyman Sheets rules ...from the looks of it, GOTG is going to have more of a traditional story mode based rule set.

Agree with some of your points but the reason we go through this every time is that it (Stern rehashing with phoned in layouts) happens every time. Can't blame people for being a bit over it.

#1011 2 years ago

Let's give Stern some credit here. Compared to SW, which will go down as one of the most stripped down, phoned-in releases ever, GOTG has:

1. A toy!
2. Highly detailed plastics from what I can see - Groot looks great - arms/hands too
3. Art package looks good and bright

Whatever people say about the machine at least it looks like someone put some love into this one. And Groot is the most beloved character from the first film so makes sense to me that Groot is predominant.

#1012 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Can someone explain to me how these songs work for pinball outside of using them for attract mode or high score entry?

The soundtrack is cool. The soundtrack is an important part of the movie. The game is based on the movie.

IMO, music draws you in to a theme like no other element can.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Also having a Walkman as the center piece of this game would be the lamest thing ever imo

100% agree that a Walkman as the centre piece would be lame. But the right scoop, for example, could be the Walkman instead of just being a scoop.

#1014 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

IMO, music draws you in to a theme like no other element can.

Completely agree. This game will have music. Haha. What I’m saying is those specific songs might not fit well in a pinball machine. Could be completely wrong.

Quoted from cooked71:

But the right scoop, for example, could be the Walkman instead of just being a scoop.

I know it’s probably just me, but I’m good on the choose a song, choose a character ruleset for now. This looks like it might shake it up in the code dept, and that’s good. More options.

#1015 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

i see your point and can agree with some aspects but it is not the way as i would like to play pinball and get a new pinball experience each time i play a different machine. i find JJP way more creative in layout design. But i can understand that it doesn't disturb anyone and i am sure i can love it anyway. just a kind of disappointment about that.

#1016 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This game will have music. Haha. What I’m saying is those specific songs might not fit well in a pinball machine.

I doubt one person on this forum could recognize the Guardians score if they heard it. There's no emotional attachment. It's not like Star Wars. And is the theme music even good for pinball? No idea, as I can't remember it. lol.

It's not a huge deal, but for me, the missing soundtrack is the difference between a must buy and a maybe buy. Game looks cool, but so do my other games.

No harm in discussing what could have been.

#1017 2 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Let's give Stern some credit here. Compared to SW, which will go down as one of the most stripped down, phoned-in releases ever, GOTG has:
1. A toy!
2. Highly detailed plastics from what I can see - Groot looks great - arms/hands too
3. Art package looks good and bright
Whatever people say about the machine at least it looks like someone put some love into this one. And Groot is the most beloved character from the first film so makes sense to me that Groot is predominant.

I have to agree that sw is stripped but the hyper space loop is a very very cool toy that is killer fun and the game is a lot better than I first thought.

#1018 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I doubt one person on this forum could recognize the Guardians score if they heard it. There's no emotional attachment. It's not like Star Wars. And is the theme music even good for pinball? No idea, as I can't remember it. lol.
It's not a huge deal, but for me, the missing soundtrack is the difference between a must buy and a maybe buy. Game looks cool, but so do my other games.

Agree.

I can now sit back and watch the code develop without making a dumb emotional purchase which is what I might have done if certain songs were in the game.

#1019 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

if ever they could code the sound package with letting us the availability to replace some music game with original songs. that would be great as one of the GOTG movie success is its original soundtrack.

#1020 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Dust off your Walkman and do it just like Pratt in the movie! Problem solved and ultimate theme integration.

#1021 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Dust off your Walkman and do it just like Pratt in the movie! Problem solved and ultimate theme integration.

Topper.

#1022 2 years ago

Guys complained about a cell phone on Dialed In's playfield, yet some of those same guys want a walkman on GOTG's playfield?

#1023 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Guys complained about a cell phone on Dialed In's playfield, yet some of those same guys want a walkman on GOTG's playfield?

No the walkman goes in your pocket, wherever to get the sound into your ears.

#1024 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Tanio/Lonnie/Waison.

Which history says we get what we get out of the gate and wait years for an update. See every other Lonnie game. I'm still waiting for the rumored AS and Kiss updates. So tired of the same old thing.

I love John Borg designs, but man I wish Dwight was coding this one. That combination of programmer and coder has not happened to my knowledge.

#1025 2 years ago

Machine looks nice. Let's see some gameplay!

#1026 2 years ago

I was ready to get this but the music is a deal breaker for me - If they could add the original songs by the original artists it'd would be great . From what I'm reading it's orchestra music only. Even a good cover band doing the original music would be OK.

#1027 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Tanio/Lonnie/Waison.

about time they bring in Tanio as lead! I really hope this is true. Guy has some fun ideas and I personally would love to see what a Tanio/Waison coded game could be...

#1028 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Which history says we get what we get out of the gate and wait years for an update. See every other Lonnie game. I'm still waiting for the rumored AS and Kiss updates. So tired of the same old thing.
I love John Borg designs, but man I wish Dwight was coding this one. That combination of programmer and coder has not happened to my knowledge.

Not sure what you are waiting for. KISS has plenty of code and really isn't missing anything, they have already said they are not doing anything else with the cities. AS had great code out of the gate and only needs a little balance and polish and it's done. Your literally complaining about 2 of sterns most complete games when it comes to code.

#1029 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Not sure what you are waiting for. KISS has plenty of code and really isn't missing anything, they have already said they are not doing anything else with the cities. AS had great code out of the gate and only needs a little balance and polish and it's done. Your literally complaining about 2 of sterns most complete games when it comes to code.

Only because I was told Lonnie had another 5 weeks on AS back in January to polish it off and that never happened.

#1030 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I doubt one person on this forum could recognize the Guardians score if they heard it. There's no emotional attachment. It's not like Star Wars.

I think you are wrong here, because I know I can personally identify the scores from the majority of marvel movies, especially avengers and guardians.

Marvel is my star wars, I don't actually think star wars is as fantastic as everyone makes it out to be.

#1031 2 years ago

Remember when new pinball machines were exciting and you couldn't wait to play it, Pepperidge Farms remembers.

download (resized).jpg

#1032 2 years ago

if ever they could code the sound package with letting us the availability to replace some music game with original songs. that would be great as one of the GOTG movie success is its original soundtrack.

Agree, just like Metallica you can replace the songs...

#1033 2 years ago

Best wait 6 months to see what issues pop up and how Stern deals with them.

#1034 2 years ago

My take on GOTG after a day to look at it

Art
Might be too colorful for some but I like it and think it's very well done. For me the pro has the best art package and the LE is my least favorite. I'm just not a huge fan of how the trim looks on it. Maybe it looks better in person. I love the inserts on this game!!!! They are the best looking inserts I have seen in pinball to date. I love the characters on the corresponding shots.

Layout
Nothing ground breaking but I like the mixed feel of IM and MET. Those ramps are in sweat locations and are going to be super smooth to shoot. Looks like 8 shots? Which is a lot for a standard body.

Toys
Lots of toys on this one even if it's nothing new. We get the ST drop target lock, Rocket is pretty much the war machine kick back which is my favorite kick back in pinball, 1-3 magnets which with good coding should be a lot of fun, and a talking groot head that is a bash toy and ball lock. The premium also gets the hands which look cool but may end up being a negative. Full RGB lighting on the premium/LE which I believe is Borg's first game with all RGB lighting.

Code
Don't know for sure but based on the rule sheet it will be a straight forward mode based game were everything on the playfield is used to increase values or add multipliers that last the length of the ball. 2 multiballs and 2 wizard modes. While I love what Lyman does I'm glad to have a straight forward easy to understand approach on this one. The code is going to make it feel very different then MET and if the modes are well done this is going to be a really fun game. They need to have the character shots well integrated for each mode and not just shoot the random blinking light. I want to be fighting bad guys and collecting characters to help based on how the mode went in the movies.

Sounds
Time will tell but the lack on song rights in a big let down. Stern should have spent a little extra coin and got a couple of them. If the original score is done well it might end up OK though. No TWD redneck or XMEN beast or everyone will be pissed.

If the code and sounds can come together stern is going to have a hit with this one. If they don't it will be a great shooting game that could have been so much more. I'm leaning towards picking up a premium on this one but like all Borg games the pro is going to be the best value and you won't lose much in game play. I mainly just want the full RGB lighting that the premium has.

#1035 2 years ago

I would be interested to know how many Met owners would buy this one.

#1036 2 years ago

I would be interested to know how many Met owners would buy this one.

That's like buying the same shirt but in uglier colors.

#1037 2 years ago

Looking pretty good but lack of songs and Marvel sound-alikes for call outs makes me think that I will wait for the Pinside rescue.

Someone will do a TWD.

#1038 2 years ago

Oh I just saw the prosthetic leg topper. Amazing!!!

I think I like the pro back glass best is that wierd?

#1039 2 years ago
Quoted from RetroToys:

That's like buying the same shirt but in uglier colors.

I have a Met Premium.......I cant wait to play Guardians!

#1040 2 years ago

Sooo, is MET harder to sell today than it was 2 days ago?

#1041 2 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

The asymmetrical offset between the flippers an apron/outhole trips an OCD flag for me.

It shouldn't do; it actually makes the entire playfield, and the shots from the flippers to the playfield top, *more* symmetrical. You can see it more clearly on the LE, with the hands at the sides and the head and flipper gap both lining up directly with the centre. It's a very John Borg trait that he picked up from Pat Lawlor but has really made his own.

#1042 2 years ago

Scores from the movies and tv shows.

#1043 2 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

and why the machine is base only on the first movie? why not wait a few more months and do a trilogy?

Beastmaster is all in on the "This food is horrible...and such small portions!" gambit with this game, no?

It wouldn't be "a few more months," unless you think they can just throw that stuff into the game in a week. Besides, Stern often releases a game 2 movies into a series, this is pretty common for them. Makes sense - you get a whole new round of interest whenever a new film comes out.

#1044 2 years ago

I don't understand about the music. Where was it explained? I always thought "Original Score" was the music used in the film. The rights for many of those older songs are not hard to get nor very expensive.

#1045 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

» YouTube video
Scores from the movies and tv shows.

I just listened to 1 Hour 17 mins and 58 seconds of Marvel Super Hero Music. I'm ready to F**K S**T UP!

This is going to be one productive day!

#1047 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I'm ok with plastic ramps, especially on a busy playfield like this - there's already enough obstruction. And they're fast and smooth.
But since GB, the plastic they're using on these has become so thin. Anyone worked on the GBLE subway ramp??? It's like 1mm thick. It's like the plastic they use for food packaging.
As a result, they've had to make these plastic ramps on GOTG in 2 pieces - there's an ugly metal join on both ramps. They'll seem less smooth and more "rattly". But with how thin the plastic is they've had no choice.
Remember how long, smooth and fast those TWD ramps are?? Iron Man?? Single piece ramps. Ah, the good old days.....remember Sam?

The ramps are each made in two pieces because they cross over themselves. You can't make a ramp mould that does this, nor could you fit a single piece through the backboard like that.

#1048 2 years ago

Perfectly missed opportunity for Stern to be self referential and put a tiny 'Galaxy' pinball machine someplace in the art. In spite of the appeal and other positive points, without that, its basically garbage to me. I guess I'm just too stuck on weakly ironic references in my pinball machines. That and 170 degree 3 bank drop target half way up the left side of the table deck.

It could be partially redeemed if someone creates a tiny 'Galaxy' pinball machine as topper and surround it with hot glued on action figures or an acrylic lazer cut version.

#1049 2 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

The ramps are each made in two pieces because they cross over themselves. You can't make a ramp mould that does this, nor could you fit a single piece through the backboard like that.

Technically speaking, you could... Since the ramps are a thermoplastic you could in theory mold them without the overlap and then use a post process step to locally heat and bend one area to get the crossover. I'm sure STERN chooses to do the two parts because it makes the tooling simpler and total cost with the assembly is probably less than trying a post process as described before.

Regardless, as others have mentioned, I would have much preferred to see wire forms return from the connection point than another plastic ramp butted up against the other.

#1050 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Have to admit we're getting hyper picky now. 5 Years ago, if GOTG was released, everyone would have lost it. Le's sold out in 15 minutes. Best game ever, etc etc. Now its like, "too similar", "too colourful", "too busy", "the music is not perfect", "the toys are too big, too small, too many", "the armour is not the perfect shade of....".
Kind of a compliment to the industry though. We are fortunate we can afford to be this picky. Every game has to jump a pretty high bar to get a spot in my limited space. Especially as the ones already in that space are pretty f*n good.

Five years ago a pin didn't cost 8K either. The higher they get the higher the quality should be and the more attention should be paid to details. I am not being negative but that is my opinion. The pin looks cool and I look forward to playing it but I wouldn't be busting a gut to buy it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
There are 4260 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 86.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside