34E75029-AD31-42E8-87E6-96BA5E403E0C (resized).jpeg
Stern cab1 (resized).jpg
Stern cab 2 (resized).jpg
GOTG pro no cliffy (resized).PNG
star-loard-tape (resized).jpg
star-loard-cassette (resized).jpg
walkman (resized).jpg
purple-rails (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spinal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 6 years ago

To me, AS seemed a lot more polished upon release than did SW (art, theme integration, small details). AS had a new interesting toybox toy while SW had TIE-spring and recycled HS2 toy from 1992 (which had little to do with the movies). SW, a movie about using the force, had magnet(s) removed to save costs.

Now think about how much bigger the SW license is than AS. A 100x more well known and loved? 1000x? Most kids today might not even know who AS is.

If the biggest themes get the stripped-down-to-nothing hardware treatment at Stern then this does not bode well for GOTG because this is a huge license.

So it's a crap shoot... GOTG will either be not too bad at all and surprise us all or will be stripped down to hell like SW. They need to have at least one ball-interactive toy on GOTG! Fingers crossed.

#27 6 years ago

I think I read read that the JJP could not secure the soundtrack to JJPOTC because music is often licensed separately from movies these days.

So I really hope that at least some of the songs make it into GOTG as this was a large part of what made the movies great.

#31 6 years ago

So Stern releases 3 new games a year and Lyman is still working exclusively full-time on BM66? For years?

I know that's what they say but I don't believe it. Surely he's working on other games and this is just what the public is told.

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Star Wars certainly should have been better IMO but I wouldn't say that they dropped the ball on it. I don't understand why they didn't really just deck the game out with killer toys and better art but it's still a really good game. I just think people were expecting it to be off the charts cosmetically and it wasnt.

There are those that accept a game like SW for what it is and those of us who feel insulted by the clear lack of effort.

Imagine a customer in a restaurant being served a meal. Prices have been rapidly increasing at this restaurant in recent years and quality declining. The customer knows somehow that the chef/owner who prepared the meal didn't care, skimps on on ingredients and is basically just doing the absolute minimum. He often reuses old ingredients past their expiry dates and freezes the meatballs now where they used to be made fresh. The customer also knows that the chef/owner is highly skilled and capable of culinary magic but now only cares about making a buck - his passion is gone and doesn't give a &$@# anymore.

Now there are two kinds of customers...

The first kind of customer just eats the food and doesn't care much about what the chef *could* have done - the food is OK enough to eat and, while overpriced and lower quality, it fills his gut. Good enough is good enough for those with low expectations.

The second kind of customer feels insulted that someone *with the ability to do so much more* just cares about profit now has no problem serving me the f-ing tie-fighter-on-a-spring lunch special ...

Wait I'm mixing up metaphors here - you get what I mean.

#260 6 years ago

Anyone else find it ironic that someone posting incessantly to a online forum about an upcoming movie-themed pinball machine is trying to say he's not a nerd?

#322 6 years ago

There is no way Lyman is working on BM66 full time. This is just to keep buyers quiet. You think he worked one year before release and is now working on it for another year full time while Stern sells 3 new releases per year? And for a game where Stern is not even selling new games of? Cash is in the bank, he's the best they have so worth a lot to Stern, and the game is pinball history with regard to sales.

One thing for sure, either he won't/can't take credit in the future for other games he is working on or there will be some irritated BM66 owners.

Watch, it's possible there will be a BM66 update at some point and then just a few months later, some game by Lyman. Nothing against him, he's probably the best in the business and just getting tangled up in politics not of his own making.

#370 6 years ago

When AS came out people weren't ranting and raving about how bad the art was or that the main toy was terrible. OK some didn't like the theme but nobody was saying that AS is complete garbage because it looked like some love was put into that game.

We all want Stern to succeed and if there is criticism of something like tie-on-a-spring being the only toy in SW (or whatever) it might ACTUALLY be about the actual thing we are criticizing. So please don't oversimplify criticism of Stern as being something like being for or against some sports team.

To me, SW was an intelligence test to see how little customers would still be happy with (guess what - lots of people still love it). Only those will little or no imagination don't wish for what SW could have been. This was the possibly the biggest license of all time. It was a theme about using the force and magnets were cut from design. They hyper-drive has very little to do with Star Wars at all for heaven's sake yet they take the HS2 toy from 1992 and make it the main toy of the LE (and nobody notices - almost everyone raves about the great theme integration).

But my hope is that SW was a market-test done just once and that they will hit GOTG out of the park. It's got to be better than SW.

On the other hand, if GOTG is just a (mirror-image) reskin of SW with Groot-on-a-spring, not a single magnet and only one song from the movies, I hope more collectors will at least notice.

My point is that there is a positive side to criticism and that we are actually talking about the actual product and not just for or against Stern. We all want them to release fantastic games because we love pinball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spinal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-hype?tu=spinal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.