• If it's good quality and done right I will 163 votes
    37%
  • No way, this theme sucks 44 votes
    10%
  • Not buying any more Stern games 193 votes
    44%

(437 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 49 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Groot_1 (resized).png
GOTG confirm (resized).PNG
AS Black and Purple (resized).PNG
GB Green (resized).PNG
GB black (resized).PNG
ASLE (resized).PNG
AS armor (resized).PNG
SDTM info (resized).PNG
34E75029-AD31-42E8-87E6-96BA5E403E0C (resized).jpeg
Stern cab1 (resized).jpg
Stern cab 2 (resized).jpg
GOTG pro no cliffy (resized).PNG
star-loard-tape (resized).jpg
star-loard-cassette (resized).jpg
walkman (resized).jpg
purple-rails (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#112 2 years ago

Some people are just not going to be happy know matter what stern does. People say the layouts are all the same and suck. I guess no one has played GOT, BM66, TWD, GB or wrestlemania just to name a few.

I've heard Borg, Franchi art, and Waison as code lead. Not sure if that's true or not. Stern also has lots of awesome stuff coming. Nordman, Mark Ritchie and Keith all have games coming which sounds pretty awesome to me.

#148 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

At one point it was heavily rumored that GOTG would have Keith Elwin as the designer and that it would be based his Archer layout. Has that rumor died or been proven false? I was really hoping that would be true...

Several people that I trust have said it's Borg's game. Which makes sense as Aerosmith was done for a while and was pushed back so BM66 could be the expo reveal. So that would give Borg a year+ on it.

#208 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

GOTG will be a perfect pinball theme just like the last one, as it will probably give me no reason to want to own one.
Keep up the good work guys!

So you hate old and new themes....

#231 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Still a little too nerdy for me. And where I come from , nerdy = lame.

Have you seen the movies?

#239 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I watched the trailers. As soon as it hits FX channel I'll get high as a kite and see if it amuses me.

So you haven't seen the movies, but you, the person always screaming for modern themes has already decided it sucks?

Man you are missing out. They are not like the other super hero movies and are really well done. The first one in particular is great. Light hearted with great action, great comedy, and just enough drama to draw you in.

#273 2 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

It's very logical. The way I see it, SW was not the cash cow they expected. They probably received more backlash and to play it from a strategic standpoint, they chose to wait to reveal. They observed JJPs release and probably decided to modify the final product if need be. Stern has lost some sales from doing this but probably not has much as doing the reveal at the same time.
Besides most of JJP deposits are refundable so we will see if Stern can sway people off Pirates once they reveal their new game.

I really doubt any of this is true. SW pro seems to be selling very well and doing great on location. They also I'm sure are doing well with AC/DC again. The most logical reasons are GOTG is not quite ready yet or GOTG was not even slated to be the next game. It's very possible that Trudeau was next in line as all of the rumors of stern not having a game at expo started shortly after his arrest.

Besides, Borg's games are typically loaded, especially at the pro level and JJP can't come close to competing with that price point.

#306 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sweet!

...and I'm out. Lol
Only way I'd buy this game:
-Licensed music
-Audio clips from the movie
-Hilarious custom call outs from Rocket & Drax - sound alikes OK if accurate
-No QC issues
-Quality playfields and no moon crater bullshit
-Great mechanical toys & features
-Great layout with no airball or cheap stdm bullshit
-Great & finished bug free code.
If they can pull that off, I'll buy one used lol.

That was just a rumor I heard that may or may not be true. I actually expect it to be a Waison/Lonnie coded game but who knows and stern keeps it pretty secretive with coders these days as they know it affects sales.

#307 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Nothing will ever satisfy you as long as it has the Stern name on it so I recommend that you pass on it. We wouldn’t want to hear you crying all of the time like how you do with Ghostbusters. It almost ruins the fun of owning a GB game.

To be fair he owns a lot of stern games. I would probably agree with the exception of AS that the games are not quite as good since Met. Not bad games, but Met and AC/DC set a new standard of code and gameplay. It will be hard to live up to either of those but I have a good feeling about GOTG.

#327 2 years ago

Stern's next $500 topper

691bf3c8-812a-421f-8838-e803d39b3dde_1.8d16d15fb7011ce8db19f38f7300870f (resized).jpg

#347 2 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Talked to Gary on saturday and he said too release was about soon.
IAAPA 13-17 november?

I really hope it's before then. I don't want to wait another 3 weeks. Let the Fury Hats reveal begin.

#351 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Proper order of events would be to announce it before IAAPA to generate some hype and get people to come to their booth. Maybe just a small teaser or a reveal of some art and then a full reveal at the show.

There are a lot of shows the 2nd and 3rd week of Nov so hopefully they announce it and get a few pros out to distros for the upcoming shows.

#368 2 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Anyone catch Stern accidentally including the game in their 'Game Archive' section. Must be close to reveal. Very interesting to see how this is received, after POTC.

You will have the same usual people that piss and moan saying stern still sucks, then you will have the people that claim they are waiting due to code/QC issues, then you will have the people that said they are never buying another stern that instantly order and LE, then you have the normal pinball people that will buy some version of it if all looks good.

I am going to be shocked in it doesn't turn out great. The first thing it will have going for it is great art. The artist made BM66 look pretty damn good with only a couple of weeks to work with. He's had as much time as needed on this one. It's a bright colorful theme and I will be shocked in the game is not stunning art wise. POTC looks ok to me art wise but I am not really fond of the cabinet art so I think GOTG has a great chance to beat out POTC in the art department. If rumors from inside stern are true then they have known they have something special with GOTG for a while now. Borg is pretty much the best pinball designer at this point for my tastes and he doesn't really make bad games. Stern proved with GB that they can make loaded games with tons on features and toys(even though I hate that game). If Borg can channel some of that and the code is in decent shape at launch people are going to quickly forget what ever it was that they were whining at stern about.

#372 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Star wars is actually really fun. Maybe all the Theme Warriors won't by so puss hurt by their childhood being ruined and give it a chance and like it.

Nonsense. Games must be judged before being play based on crappy mock up pics and a Jack Danger stream. There must be interactive toys that fit exactly what we expected or we will flip out and post a bunch of negative reviews to make sure the game is always rated poorly.

So shall it be written, so shall it be done!!!!!!!!!!!

#413 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I did watch GOTG last weekend and I found it maybe a bit more entertaining than Star Wars and the music was super cool.
So that begs the question why is it 4 years later that they will finally make the pinball game?
I can see it as a good pinball theme because it's not one of those movies I'll watch over and over again, once was enough, but I'm sure somehow they will manage to screw it up.

Likely because the sequel came out earlier this year and they are already working on a third installment. I would normally agree with you and the odds are certainly on your side that they will screw it up. I've just heard to many positive rumors and I think Borg is due for another awesome game. We will all know pretty soon.

#416 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

To point out the obvious, what if the game does not include the entire original soundtrack?
Seems a lot of newer games are missing the music and actors that made the movies good

I don't think the entire soundtrack is needed. But a good portion certainly is to get the correct feel. If they are not then we can all point out that stern is a bunch of cheap bastards as those cannot be that expensive to get.

As for the whole world under glass stuff, I'm not sure that's always a good thing. I don't own a lot of games that I think fit that criteria and the ones that do mostly suck IMO. I just want a game that plays great, has a few fun features, captures the theme, and has good enough code to keep me interested.

#438 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Truth is any game that gets made within 5 years of release is a current theme in my book. About the same time I end up seeing the movies.
I will say this, whoever Peter Quill's mom was, she sounded like a girl I might have hung out with or even dated back in the day.

You read it hear first. Odin, mystery dad of Starlord.

#451 2 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

From what I read the next 2 movies for GOTG are the next 2 Avenger movies. So we may not see another stand alone GOTG film for possibly 3-4 years if at all now.....

They will be part of the infinity wars movie which they should be and it's going to be awesome. #3 is already in the works and is supposed to be the last at least for the current group of actors.

#455 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Prediction - reuse of Met Snake Jaw mech for the mouth.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

#458 2 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Once the press release comes out and teaser pics come out everyone's gonna lose their shit so if you don't have a game or two sold already by the weekend to fund this game you've been warned.
Star Wars will be old news.
"Always be prepared"
There's some hype for you

Damn, now that's some hype. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

#585 2 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

If they add clear coat to rectify the dimpling that would be AWESOME!!!!

Thicker clear coat is likely going to dimple more, not less.

#671 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

That's the thing, is anyone really going to pay nearly 2k more for 2 spinners and 2 more magnets? If Stern did that to make people consider upgrading surely they don't think we/their customers are that stupid!?
There is nothing on the Premium that I don't believe can be added to the Pro. We have already seen a killer spinner kit for MET, I am sure we will see one here, Rocket can probably be put on a coil to move and his gun is guaranteed to be modded with a red led, if it's possible to run the 2 extra magnets off the single factory one (depending how Stern have it setup, codes) i can see a magnet mod, those Groot hands will be 3D printed or sculpted by someone or even better custom ramps that look like Groot is growing over the playfield, as for the orb there are people more than talented enough to make one that opens and that is superior & I am sure at some point timebandit will bring his awesome GI total lightshow to Spike 2 eventually which has deeper lighting than Sterns LEs.

A little odd that you are making a case not to upgrade to a premium because the value isn't there when you own 5 stern premium/LE's. People that buy premiums want the full featured game and the light show is a big part of that and is no way easily replicated or moded. I also don't see people trying to add additional magnets to a pro, they wouldn't be coded properly anyway. The spinner kit for MET pro is nice but once again it's not coded into the game the same as on the premium/LE.

If you want to make a case that Borg pro's are by far the best value to get and you don't lose much in game play then I completely agree. But 99.9% of the population would not be able to add the things to a pro to make it equivalent to the premium. By the time you buy all of those very highly priced custom mods and spend hours of your life installing them you would have been much better off just buying the premium if those features are important to you. The whole point of the pro is for people that want the cheapest game and don't mind losing a few features.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside