34E75029-AD31-42E8-87E6-96BA5E403E0C (resized).jpeg
Stern cab1 (resized).jpg
Stern cab 2 (resized).jpg
GOTG pro no cliffy (resized).PNG
star-loard-tape (resized).jpg
star-loard-cassette (resized).jpg
walkman (resized).jpg
purple-rails (resized).jpg
There are 744 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 15.
#351 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Proper order of events would be to announce it before IAAPA to generate some hype and get people to come to their booth. Maybe just a small teaser or a reveal of some art and then a full reveal at the show.

There are a lot of shows the 2nd and 3rd week of Nov so hopefully they announce it and get a few pros out to distros for the upcoming shows.

#352 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

And, you can keep you machine in mint condition by just admiring it from afar sitting in its cardboard box. I'm not opposed to playfield protectors yet there is something about them that aggravates me -- because if I was selling one of my HUO machines and some a-hole started telling me it wasn't mint enough because he can see ball dimples and says that I should have used a playfield protector, I think I would just want to smack him in the head. I'm not running a museum in my basement.

Not to resurrect a dead horse, , but if you are a CE buyer, yes you are running a museum ($12.5k museum quality pinball machine) in your basement.

#353 6 years ago

Does anyone else think that Yondu would make a great bash toy?

C6BB1031-00CE-4DCA-809E-76D87C47EEB6 (resized).jpegC6BB1031-00CE-4DCA-809E-76D87C47EEB6 (resized).jpeg

#354 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Does anyone else think that Yondu would make a great bash toy?

Yondu's yaka arrow would be a cool cannon toy.

#355 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Yondu's yaka arrow would be a cool cannon toy.

Maybe they'll reuse the crossbow mech from TWD for a Yondu arrow shooter.

#356 6 years ago

I can’t help but to think about the disaster that Avengers was

#357 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I can’t help but to think about the disaster that Avengers was

Biased; but I think the game gets Pinside group think and overly bashed.

#358 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Biased; but I think the game gets Pinside group think and overly bashed.

I like Avengers more than most people here, but it has glaring fundamental issues that are indeed game killers. I don't blame anyone for seeing it as a massively blown opportunity of a hot license.

#359 6 years ago

The Avengers is garbage. Absolute garbage. It's riddled with inexcusable design errors. There's no way that anybody felt good about putting that game out. It's a rattly piece of pinball garbage. Clean shots reject, sloppy shots can't get there. What are you supposed to do with that? Rules are awful too. Bottom 5 Stern game.

#360 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The Avengers is garbage. Absolute garbage. It's riddled with inexcusable design errors. There's no way that anybody felt good about putting that game out. It's a rattly piece of pinball garbage. Clean shots reject, sloppy shots can't get there. What are you supposed to do with that? Rules are awful too. Bottom 5 Stern game.

^^^My Ghostbusters review.

Like GB, Avengers needs a shit ton of tweaking & mods to be playable. Unfortunately nothing can be done to fix the small sling switch holes, which cause the sling switches to bend, making the slings unresponsive.

As far as rules go, I don't mind the MB-style rules for the first half of the game, unfortunately once you assemble the Avengers, the 2nd half of the game is non-stop multiball Vs. Modes, making it super easy on the back half, and it gets boring.

#361 6 years ago

Even on a "dialed in" Avengers, the plunge is still only 80% reliable. Rattle trap right from go on that game. How can you design such a problematic playfield though, for real? Stuckiest ball game ever created.

#362 6 years ago

When I played it I wanted to like it but for some reason everything seemed small and cheap. It looked like it would be a lot of fun but nothing seemed to work like it should. The shots never made it and it was just disappointing to play. I still played it because I wanted to like it but the ball got stuck and that was all folks. It is kind of rare though, you never see them, or I don’t.

#363 6 years ago

No more marvel or superhero special overrated effects movies.

#364 6 years ago

(about Avengers)

mine, HUO, perfect state, and tweaked by myself (easy, tanx to pinside), is playing like a charm, no stuck balls, no plunge prob (even if most of the time you'll go for a soft plunge to get ball thrue LOKI, the only exception is when CAPTAIN AMERICA is running)
the only really "hard" shoot remain IRON MAN
and about code, its Lonnie as we know him, but almost this time with few variation (the VS mode)

JAR+RH you're "gamers", same for me
the main prob of Avengers was the bashing he gets at the begining, most from lambda people, having played it in a bar, just few games, on a "not tweaked" machine, with a early code ! than yes, i can understand their frustration, but right now, Avengers does deserve another chance, its not as bad as lots are thinking

#365 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

None of this is present on my hulk avengers. plays perfect everytime. Matter of fact i enjoy it everytime i play it. Just my honest opinion, happens to be the exact opposite of yours.

#366 6 years ago

Anyone catch Stern accidentally including the game in their 'Game Archive' section. Must be close to reveal. Very interesting to see how this is received, after POTC.

#367 6 years ago
Quoted from tp:

None of this is present on my hulk avengers. plays perfect everytime. Matter of fact i enjoy it everytime i play it. Just my honest opinion, happens to be the exact opposite of yours.

I had the blue LE for a few months, no problems and it was a fun game, garbage is a strong term but that's pinside for ya.

#368 6 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Anyone catch Stern accidentally including the game in their 'Game Archive' section. Must be close to reveal. Very interesting to see how this is received, after POTC.

You will have the same usual people that piss and moan saying stern still sucks, then you will have the people that claim they are waiting due to code/QC issues, then you will have the people that said they are never buying another stern that instantly order and LE, then you have the normal pinball people that will buy some version of it if all looks good.

I am going to be shocked in it doesn't turn out great. The first thing it will have going for it is great art. The artist made BM66 look pretty damn good with only a couple of weeks to work with. He's had as much time as needed on this one. It's a bright colorful theme and I will be shocked in the game is not stunning art wise. POTC looks ok to me art wise but I am not really fond of the cabinet art so I think GOTG has a great chance to beat out POTC in the art department. If rumors from inside stern are true then they have known they have something special with GOTG for a while now. Borg is pretty much the best pinball designer at this point for my tastes and he doesn't really make bad games. Stern proved with GB that they can make loaded games with tons on features and toys(even though I hate that game). If Borg can channel some of that and the code is in decent shape at launch people are going to quickly forget what ever it was that they were whining at stern about.

#369 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

You will have the same usual people that piss and moan saying stern still sucks, then you will have the people that claim they are waiting due to code/QC issues, then you will have the people that said they are never buying another stern that instantly order and LE, then you have the normal pinball people that will buy some version of it if all looks good.
I am going to be shocked in it doesn't turn out great. The first thing it will have going for it is great art. The artist made BM66 look pretty damn good with only a couple of weeks to work with. He's had as much time as needed on this one. It's a bright colorful theme and I will be shocked in the game is not stunning art wise. POTC looks ok to me art wise but I am not really fond of the cabinet art so I think GOTG has a great chance to beat out POTC in the art department. If rumors from inside stern are true then they have known they have something special with GOTG for a while now. Borg is pretty much the best pinball designer at this point for my tastes and he doesn't really make bad games. Stern proved with GB that they can make loaded games with tons on features and toys(even though I hate that game). If Borg can channel some of that and the code is in decent shape at launch people are going to quickly forget what ever it was that they were whining at stern about.

Agree, And I can't wait to get my LE!!!

#370 6 years ago

When AS came out people weren't ranting and raving about how bad the art was or that the main toy was terrible. OK some didn't like the theme but nobody was saying that AS is complete garbage because it looked like some love was put into that game.

We all want Stern to succeed and if there is criticism of something like tie-on-a-spring being the only toy in SW (or whatever) it might ACTUALLY be about the actual thing we are criticizing. So please don't oversimplify criticism of Stern as being something like being for or against some sports team.

To me, SW was an intelligence test to see how little customers would still be happy with (guess what - lots of people still love it). Only those will little or no imagination don't wish for what SW could have been. This was the possibly the biggest license of all time. It was a theme about using the force and magnets were cut from design. They hyper-drive has very little to do with Star Wars at all for heaven's sake yet they take the HS2 toy from 1992 and make it the main toy of the LE (and nobody notices - almost everyone raves about the great theme integration).

But my hope is that SW was a market-test done just once and that they will hit GOTG out of the park. It's got to be better than SW.

On the other hand, if GOTG is just a (mirror-image) reskin of SW with Groot-on-a-spring, not a single magnet and only one song from the movies, I hope more collectors will at least notice.

My point is that there is a positive side to criticism and that we are actually talking about the actual product and not just for or against Stern. We all want them to release fantastic games because we love pinball.

#371 6 years ago

Star wars is actually really fun. Maybe all the Theme Warriors won't by so puss hurt by their childhood being ruined and give it a chance and like it.

#372 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Star wars is actually really fun. Maybe all the Theme Warriors won't by so puss hurt by their childhood being ruined and give it a chance and like it.

Nonsense. Games must be judged before being play based on crappy mock up pics and a Jack Danger stream. There must be interactive toys that fit exactly what we expected or we will flip out and post a bunch of negative reviews to make sure the game is always rated poorly.

So shall it be written, so shall it be done!!!!!!!!!!!

#373 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Only those will little or no imagination don't wish for what SW could have been.

Yeah that happens for me with every game I see almost, but in no way does that affect whether the game is fun or not, in fact sometimes the more toys and magnets and all that crap can turn a fun fast game into a stop and go snooze fest.

Quoted from spinal:

We all want them to release fantastic games because we love pinball.

I agree and SW is a fantastic game so if GOTG is same ballpark then I will quite happy.

#374 6 years ago

I was surprised how good the art looks in person, GB/AS good, no but I do really like it. Plus all three cabs and translites are fantastic.

#375 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

I was surprised how good the art looks in person, GB/AS good, no but I do really like it. Plus all three cabs and translites are fantastic.

Yup once I saw the game in person I thought the art looked much better (I didn't mind the playfield art to begin with, but the cab art looked much better in person). Playfield art was great too. I just couldn't get over the gameplay, felt just blah to me.

#376 6 years ago

I won't ever proclaim a game being good or bad based on pics or video. I need to play it first, and I need to play it quite a bit. Iron Man is the best example of this. I remember everybody getting up in arms at the unveiling about how sparse it was. I ran over to the distributor's showroom downtown and met another local pinhead. We put an hour's worth of games on it and we liked it, even before the code had fully matured. Going in with a negative bias based on pics probably would have made it harder to enjoy.

With Star Wars, I was actually really excited to play it. It looked basic, yes, but that didn't worry much. But man, after a few hours on the thing, I just couldn't believe how big of a miss it ended up being.

Based on what I know, I have a lot of optimism for Stern's next game. But even if it looks incredible, I just won't know until I get good time on it. I mean, I was really excited by The Hobbit at first, but jeez, what a letdown that ended up being too.

#377 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I played 4 or 5 different SW Prem/LEs over the weekend in Portland...I just tried to ignore following the rules, because it's just impossible in a location setting...so, I just tried to play it "for the flow" and enjoy it for what it is.

A few things made it really difficult to just play and enjoy:

-The mode scoop CONSTANTLY shoots the ball straight down the middle. This happened on every machine I played. Sometimes it hits the flipper tip...but the STDM's really made it almost impossible to enjoy. I don't understand why Stern can't make scoops that consistently shoot to one intended spot anymore. This was a problem on Kiss, GB, and now SW.

-It seems like almost every shot you make causes the GI to go dark/flicker/strobe. Since almost every shot whips the ball back at the flippers, this makes enjoying the flow impossible...as your eyes are distracted by the constant flicker effect.

-What's up with the fork that pops up in the horseshoe shot? I get that it's so it'll divert the ball up when you hit it directly - but when you hit the right side of the horseshoe, what is supposed to happen? Sometimes it ricochets and comes back...sometimes it stops, then the fork goes down, and it dribbles out. It's a really clunky feature.

The one thing I got to happen that I thought was clever was the light saber battle...I like how the GI and inserts reflect the colors of the light sabers...that was a super clear and concise mode.

#378 6 years ago

Greg, thats why i think i will get a pro, like the play, but think i can live without the fork and loop ramp. I actually think it plays better as a pro like Xmen.

#379 6 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Greg, thats why i think i will get a pro, like the play, but think i can live without the fork and loop ramp. I actually think it plays better as a pro like Xmen.

The pro is certainly better. The additions that the jump ramp and hyperloop bring are minimal in comparison to the problems they bring with them.

#380 6 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Pro still has the STDM scoop when I've played those....and the weird rules. I really tried to jam on it a bunch this weekend to see if it would click. It didn't, so like all the other SPIKE Sterns, I'm done with it. My girlfriend, who's an actual hardcore Star Wars fan, looked at me and said "Really? Again?" Every time I put quarters into another SW....lol....she hated it from play 1 and didn't even care to try it again....she played other games.

#381 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Pro still has the STDM scoop when I've played those....and the weird rules. I really tried to jam on it a bunch this weekend to see if it would click. It didn't, so like all the other SPIKE Sterns, I'm done with it. My girlfriend, who's an actual hardcore Star Wars fan, looked at me and said "Really? Again?" Every time I put quarters into another SW....lol....she hated it from play 1 and didn't even care to try it again....she played other games.

I'm considering a SW Pro (only played the Premium), but my wife won't be happy, because she really, really disliked it. And she's just as into Star Wars movies as I am. I don't know how I feel about it. I've actually started to wonder if GOT Pro might be the better choice.

But anyways...back to GotG...

#382 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Thank you. I'm AMAZED people defend that game. I'm not a Stern basher, I've owned more than a dozen in my collection, still have 4 right now. And I'm a HUGE Marvel lifelong fan. That was the biggest POS they ever put out. I agree with this post 100%.

#383 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The pro is certainly better. The additions that the jump ramp and hyperloop bring are minimal in comparison to the problems they bring with them.

So, is the fork ramp just a poorly implemented design? Or am I missing something about how the right horseshoe shot works when the ramp is up?

#384 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

So, is the fork ramp just a poorly implemented design? Or am I missing something about how the right horseshoe shot works when the ramp is up?

I don't know what's going on, but it stays up whenever the shot to the Death Star is lit. So if you hit the right side of the horseshoe, I think it's supposed to bounce back out or drop, but I rarely see it drop, so the ball just sits there until ball search. Meanwhile your hurry up and multipliers expire.

#385 6 years ago

Fork ramp drops when a ball is behind it, and even quite fast. Something was off with the game you played.
Star wars has really good gameplay and rules. Take some time to learn them of hem someone explain them to you and you'll see it's a really fun game. With ideal mode and multiball stacking.
Pro has everything the LE has except for the physical hyperloop but on the pro this is simulated so you have actually the complete gameplay. Yes the death star shot is harder on the LE but certainly doable.
Scoop kickout can be adjusted in the menu settings.

Don't understand why people are so negative about it. Actually the software is quite complete already and this is quite fast after game release.

Only thing I would be worried about on the LE that the ball hits the back of the fork ramp and it gets dented and misaligned for the slots in the wood, rubbing against it then.

#386 6 years ago

We are Groot.

#387 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Only thing I would be worried about on the LE that the ball hits the back of the fork ramp and it gets dented and misaligned for the slots in the wood, rubbing against it then.

Poor design, and untested.

When will Stern learn?

Enough of the 'surprise reveals' w/ immediate shipping. Put games out on location test again!

#388 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Yup once I saw the game in person I thought the art looked much better (I didn't mind the playfield art to begin with, but the cab art looked much better in person). Playfield art was great too. I just couldn't get over the gameplay, felt just blah to me.

No game is for everyone, I like it - has the speed of ironman and the rules stacking and multipliers of game of thrones. Solid game.

#389 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

My girlfriend, who's an actual hardcore Star Wars fan, looked at me and said "Really? Again?" Every time I put quarters into another SW....lol....she hated it from play 1 and didn't even care to try it again....she played other games.

I wanted to like it too, since I'm a giant Star Wars dork, but I'm with her. I literally have zero interest in playing it again. It just isn't interesting or compelling in any way.

Theme matters, but it doesn't matter enough to make up for games that aren't interesting. GOTG could have great art, cool call outs, be a great theme, but if the game doesn't shoot well (and by well I mean more than wheee the ramps and orbits are smooth) who really cares?

I miss the experimentation of the 80s when it comes to pinball, you shouldn't have to buy a $9k to get a new idea.

#390 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...so, I just tried to play it "for the flow" and enjoy it for what it is.
A few things made it really difficult to just play and enjoy:

That was your first problem, using buzz words like "flow."

Quoted from Rarehero:

-The mode scoop CONSTANTLY shoots the ball straight down the middle....

I don't know maybe location games? First off, the original setting for the mystery scoop is BEYOND piss poor. It shoots it out at a frantic random pace that is completely lame. Quick adjustment setting lowering it at home it pops out the same way every time. I don;t know or care what they intended there, I changed it so it's like a normal pinball machine acts.

Quoted from Rarehero:

-It seems like almost every shot you make causes the GI to go dark/flicker/strobe. Since almost every shot whips the ball back at the flippers, this makes enjoying the flow impossible...as your eyes are distracted by the constant flicker effect.

Uff the flow...you're killing me. Don't know though...never noticed any flickering/strobing with my game but I've never suffered from that much to be honest.

Quoted from Rarehero:

-What's up with the fork that pops up in the horseshoe shot? ...

Yeah not a Prem+ buyer so don't know much aboot the nascar/turbo charger other than I'd never pay for it.

Quoted from Rarehero:

The one thing I got to happen that I thought was clever was the light saber battle...I like how the GI and inserts reflect the colors of the light sabers...that was a super clear and concise mode.

I think the coloring of shots, with the newer updates mind you, are done somewhat well. Like GOT diff'rent colors for diff'rent qualifiers and all that....but it takes a hot minute (or 60) to learn. I know you mention a lot what an average Joe responds to a game but that has never interested me. But to that end these games to seem pretty in depth for someone just walking up.
I find the multipliers in SW the least confusing thing! There are still modes that have lights lit and I hit them and the mode does not end...it can be confusing.

#391 6 years ago

I saw a bunch of posts here and hoped to read some more GotG hype, but its the same 3 people that go on every thread and complain about SW. We got the memo - SW wasn't for you. Now bring on GotG!

#392 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

hat was your first problem, using buzz words like "flow."

That's a buzz word? It's a Steve Ritchie game...isn't "flow" what he does first and foremost? I'm not a "flow hoe" ...but since his last few games barely have any features and contain rules I don't like - that's pretty much all that's there for me to potentially enjoy if I put in a few bucks.

#393 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Enough of the 'surprise reveals' w/ immediate shipping. Put games out on location test again!

I think that would actually be bad for sales now. With the surprise they can move a lot of games just on theme, but a game like SW out on test would get a bad reputation. They would then have to fix the issues. That is expensive.

Back “in the day” a test game at an arcade somewhere was a great idea. A manufacturer could fix issues late in the design phase, and very few people knew. Now the game would be on Facebook live and streaming on Twitch, with 4 copies on YouTube the first night. All significant links would be in the “What’s the next Stern” thread.

It’s a very different world.

#394 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's a buzz word? It's a Steve Ritchie game...isn't "flow" what he does first and foremost? I'm not a "flow hoe" ...but since his last few games barely have any features and contain rules I don't like - that's pretty much all that's there for me to potentially enjoy if I put in a few bucks.

Orbitor I technically has the most flow so congrats Joe Joos Jr.! (aka Triple J)

#395 6 years ago

Any recommendations for a Stern distributor?

#396 6 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

Talk to JJ at Game Exchange of Colorado. Super fast service, free shipping, and excellent customer support.

#397 6 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

Cointaker has been my go to for the past 5 NIB STERNs I have bought.

#398 6 years ago

Anyone any idea when first pics?

Guessing very soon if game being shown on Nov 13th in Florida?

#399 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Orbitor I technically has the most flow so congrats Joe Joos Jr.! (aka Triple J)

Orbitor 1 has the most FLOAT!

#400 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's a buzz word?

Yes. It's not as bad as "world under glass" but it needs to be retired.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 25.00
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
6,495 (Firm)
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 744 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-hype/page/8?hl=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.