34E75029-AD31-42E8-87E6-96BA5E403E0C (resized).jpeg
Stern cab1 (resized).jpg
Stern cab 2 (resized).jpg
GOTG pro no cliffy (resized).PNG
star-loard-tape (resized).jpg
star-loard-cassette (resized).jpg
walkman (resized).jpg
purple-rails (resized).jpg

There are 744 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 15.
#1 6 years ago

Assuming the rumors are true about GOTG being Stern's next game, this thread is to talk about what you would like to see and just some general talk about the game. Please take the poll i included also.

Why am I making this thread? I'm making this thread because I just watched Guardians of the Galaxy for the first time and I loved it! First off let me tell you, I'm not into superhero movies at all other than Batman probably. I also don't like any kind of space type stuff or science fiction type movies either, but......this movie just BLEW ME AWAY!!

Holy crap, this is a fantastic movie in every way! This in my opinion will be a great great pinball theme and if Stern does this game right, it is going to be a smash hit! I have a feeling that Stern is going to shine and get some major respect back on this game here. If you have not seen the first Guardians movie, go get it and check it out! I can't wait to watch the 2nd movie.

Let the hype begin!

#2 6 years ago

fe4e27ec7a8c527a4509ebde2cbec14b20bcdee3-2 (resized).jpegfe4e27ec7a8c527a4509ebde2cbec14b20bcdee3-2 (resized).jpeg

#3 6 years ago

Yeah the first one was A+ good. The sequel was B- / C+ mediocre. Worth watching, but forgettable. Anyone know if Stern is going to drop this before the end of the year?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

Yeah the first one was A+ good. The sequel was B- / C+ mediocre. Worth watching, but forgettable. Anyone know if Stern is going to drop this before the end of the year?

I would think it drops before the end of the year for sure, maybe even this month.

#5 6 years ago

i want the game to be great! it's a killer theme with a lot of potential.

I'm definitely interested, but Stern has to show a commitment to actually finishing games before i'll drop that kind of cash on another of their titles. i remain open minded and hopeful, but i'm not in until they prove they're going to support it.

#6 6 years ago

I AM TAZER FACE! ha ha ha
Drax is firkin killer in this movie. " I have the greatest turds"

#7 6 years ago

Could be a really cool game, hope they dont f it up with a groot on a spring.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

I AM TAZER FACE! ha ha ha
Drax is firkin killer in this movie. " I have the greatest turds"

Great replies lol! Looks like this thread is going to be funny as hell if nothing else.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I'm definitely interested, but Stern has to show a commitment to actually finishing games before i'll drop that kind of cash on another of their titles. i remain open minded and hopeful, but i'm not in until they show prove they're going to support it.

SW code is great, maybe they will add some new stuff and fix issues but for the most part the game is complete.

#10 6 years ago

Anyone know who is coding and who is designing?

#11 6 years ago

I hope Borg/Lyman but this is only my wish.

#12 6 years ago

one of the modes could be go find the prosthetic leg.

#13 6 years ago

I wanna add that I hope Stern to make it right. At the same price between LE, there is no match in my opinion between JJP and Stern. So i’m a potential buyer of a GOTG but It should give me for my money. However, I will pass or wait for the second market.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

one of the modes could be go find the prosthetic leg.

For sure lmao. JJP crushed it with the new Pirates game no doubt about it. This game here though if done right could be equally as awesome and exciting if it gets done right. Anyone who has not seen the first Guardians movie needs to check it out. I hope the second movie is even close to what the first one was. I am going to rent it in the next day or two. I may even buy them because I enjoyed the first one that much. There’s not many movies that I will watch more than once but I could watch the first Guardians over and over and still like it. I never thought that I would like this movie so much. What a great cast of actors in it also!

#15 6 years ago

Stern needs a win badly.

#16 6 years ago

I love hype threads, but damn people, you know Stern is going to let you down. What are you going to do when they pull the old "Reverse Kiss" layout?? with the old "Shoot this arrow", then "shoot that arrow" coding. But wait.....there's more, don't forget the music...."Beach Boys anyone????" But I dont recall hearing Beach Boys in the movie??? Well you were right they were not in the movie, but Gary loves The Beach Boys and it was cheap to get........I wish you guys the best! Patiently waiting to see how they screw up my dream theme of Iron Maiden.

#17 6 years ago

Now let me say this very loud and clear
A BEACH BOYS pin would be my utmost holy grail.
The chances of this happening is like me winning lotto, never NEVER happen.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I love hype threads, but damn people, you know Stern is going to let you down. What are you going to do when they pull the old "Reverse Kiss" layout?? with the old "Shoot this arrow", then "shoot that arrow" coding. But wait.....there's more, don't forget the music...."Beach Boys anyone????" But I dont recall hearing Beach Boys in the movie??? Well you were right they were not in the movie, but Gary loves The Beach Boys and it was cheap to get........I wish you guys the best! Patiently waiting to see how they screw up my dream theme of Iron Maiden.

The hype is real this time!

#19 6 years ago

I absolutely love Guardians. Almost as much as I love the Avengers.

I'm trying to keep my hopes down, because the Avengers pin let me down in a lot of ways.

Please, please, please let Guardians be a good game.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

this thread is to talk about what you would like to see

-feature complete code at release (I mean polished with all features working as intended and regular bug updates)
-beta test games on route for a minimum of 3 months before games ship to let them fix issues before games land in homes and on routes
-full featured Pro models
-no major manufacturing defects (ghosting inserts, chipping, decals falling off, or cabinets splitting, no more node board issues)

After that, then I can dream:

3 flippers
3 layers (modes, multiballs, and colelcting crap)
fun to shoot
full immersion of theme
custom call outs
non-blinding but good lightshow

#21 6 years ago

I don't think you'll ever see a test game on route for 3 months from Stern. The rest of your list is possible though with the amount of time they had for this release (since Aerosmith in Feb, 2017). If Borg is the designer, you know he always makes a full featured PRO model.

#22 6 years ago

They certainly have one hell of a soundtrack to use for the machine. I hope they get it right. Fingers crossed.

#23 6 years ago

To me, AS seemed a lot more polished upon release than did SW (art, theme integration, small details). AS had a new interesting toybox toy while SW had TIE-spring and recycled HS2 toy from 1992 (which had little to do with the movies). SW, a movie about using the force, had magnet(s) removed to save costs.

Now think about how much bigger the SW license is than AS. A 100x more well known and loved? 1000x? Most kids today might not even know who AS is.

If the biggest themes get the stripped-down-to-nothing hardware treatment at Stern then this does not bode well for GOTG because this is a huge license.

So it's a crap shoot... GOTG will either be not too bad at all and surprise us all or will be stripped down to hell like SW. They need to have at least one ball-interactive toy on GOTG! Fingers crossed.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I don't think you'll ever see a test game on route for 3 months from Stern. The rest of your list is possible though with the amount of time they had for this release (since Aerosmith in Feb, 2017). If Borg is the designer, you know he always makes a full featured PRO model.

yeah, I figure we will never see Stern betatest games ever again. Sad reality, but I would love to see it. It would really improve their product and also save them tons of money (think how much they spent fixing defects I mentioned before when they could have been caught form in house or on route beta)

#25 6 years ago

Theme wise, I would love to see the following:

- the Milano
- Knowhere
- Yondu and the ravagers
- dancing groot topper
- an amazing licensed soundtrack with hits from starlord's walkman
- Cosmo the space dog
- Nova corps

Gameplay wise, I am hoping for:

- No ship on a bouncy spring.
- Physical ball locks in either Knowhere or the Milano
- A couple fast orbits
- A ball trick like Mist multiball where you have to knock the ball loose like attacking the Dark Aster
- Sounds from the actors or at least a good impersonator
- Actual movie clips

If it's movie based, which is probably is, I'm not sure how the villains will go. Ronan the Accuser is a decent villain, but you can't really combine that with the GotG2 movie. I also don't know if the parts of the Ego storyline they used for the movie will really fill out a full pin experience.

#26 6 years ago

I would love to see them licence the classic songs from the movies to incorporate them in the game. I'm not talking about making this into a music title but some of the classic sonds in the movie would be great in the game.

#27 6 years ago

I think I read read that the JJP could not secure the soundtrack to JJPOTC because music is often licensed separately from movies these days.

So I really hope that at least some of the songs make it into GOTG as this was a large part of what made the movies great.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Theme wise, I would love to see the following:
- the Milano
- Knowhere
- Yondu and the ravagers
- dancing groot topper
- an amazing licensed soundtrack with hits from starlord's walkman
- Cosmo the space dog
- Nova corps
Gameplay wise, I am hoping for:
- No ship on a bouncy spring.
- Physical ball locks in either Knowhere or the Milano
- A couple fast orbits
- A ball trick like Mist multiball where you have to knock the ball loose like attacking the Dark Aster
- Sounds from the actors or at least a good impersonator
- Actual movie clips
If it's movie based, which is probably is, I'm not sure how the villains will go. Ronan the Accuser is a decent villain, but you can't really combine that with the GotG2 movie. I also don't know if the parts of the Ego storyline they used for the movie will really fill out a full pin experience.

i just hope (kind of dream):
- hand drawn playfield artwork
- original layout playfield, not something that the same day of the reveal a pinside member posts here a pic with GOTG playfield vs another one...i mean creative layout!!!
- original movies musics, clips, callouts
- 3 flippers, 3 (metal) ramps (oh oh oh), subway, magnet and some great interactive toys with ball
- stacking multiballs. i also like the concept of AS multiball
- good flow
- Borg/Lyman team

#29 6 years ago

I really hope for them that Chicago expo was an eye opener. I secured my deposit for JJP POTC (I'm barely a Pro buyer, but the new JJP's are jam packed and look awesome...the rule sheet will be a mile long). Which means that if this GOTG is good that it might enter the game room at the end of 2018... Hopefully. I really hope that they listen and knock it out of the park, the y really need a win at this point.

#30 6 years ago

I dont' see how this game could be Lyman on lead, since he has been busy on BM66. This will be one of the other lead programmers at Stern. Since there are 6 (last count), it could be Tanio or Waison on lead. Both are accomplished programmers.

#31 6 years ago

So Stern releases 3 new games a year and Lyman is still working exclusively full-time on BM66? For years?

I know that's what they say but I don't believe it. Surely he's working on other games and this is just what the public is told.

#32 6 years ago

This quickly reached Apple user levels of "ridiculous high expectations". At least you can universally expect disappointment this way.

#33 6 years ago

My distributor says the container with the new title will arrive in Europe in January. So I expect a release somewhere in the near future.

#34 6 years ago

I'm already disappointed in Stern's implementation of GotG. The best they will do is stick a small toy on it. The code will be "complete" by their standards, but will lack heart. It will be SPIKE, which is cheaper for Stern and more expensive for the customer. It will include ever cheapening cabinetry and sub-par playfields. Maybe they even decide that those shitty pegs are so shitty they shouldn't be there. Another reduction in leg thickness.

I'd love for the game to be great. But I doubt it will be. I love my Stern games, but I can't buy on just hope. I need value, and they stopped providing it. I really am expecting them to say they have custome voice work in the game... but by Groot, so every single call can be "I am Groot".

#35 6 years ago

If it is a Borg game, my guess is a CSI ball lock as the Star Lord mask.

Edit, my bad! Either way, cool mech that deserves to be used again.

#36 6 years ago

CSI was designed by Pat Lawlor. Designers re-use their mechs, not other designers mechs.

Quoted from Axl:

If it is a Borg game, my guess is a CSI ball lock as the Star Lord mask.

#37 6 years ago

I hope they do this one right! Sure wish ZY was still doing art for Stern!

#38 6 years ago

Infinity Stones ball lock would be awesome. Nova core ship locking shield.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'm already disappointed in Stern's implementation of GotG. The best they will do is stick a small toy on it. The code will be "complete" by their standards, but will lack heart. It will be SPIKE, which is cheaper for Stern and more expensive for the customer. It will include ever cheapening cabinetry and sub-par playfields. Maybe they even decide that those shitty pegs are so shitty they shouldn't be there. Another reduction in leg thickness.
I'd love for the game to be great. But I doubt it will be. I love my Stern games, but I can't buy on just hope. I need value, and they stopped providing it. I really am expecting them to say they have custome voice work in the game... but by Groot, so every single call can be "I am Groot".

Wishing GOTG exceeds expectations, but look at the track record. Star Wars doesn't even have 1.0 code yet and the last update f'd the game up.

Spike is questionable. Spike 2 is plain awful.

Have not even thought about the play field.

never-try (resized).pngnever-try (resized).png

#40 6 years ago

Well, going to wait for finished code....

Also I am most hoping that the licensed soundtrack is used - not all the songs, but enough to enjoy. Maybe 6 - 8 tracks?

Probably getting zero

No. Title Artist(s) Length
1. "Mr. Blue Sky" Electric Light Orchestra 5:03
2. "Fox on the Run" Sweet 3:25
3. "Lake Shore Drive" Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah 3:49
4. "The Chain" Fleetwood Mac 4:27
5. "Bring It On Home to Me" Sam Cooke 2:43
6. "Southern Nights" Glen Campbell 2:57
7. "My Sweet Lord" George Harrison 4:37
8. "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" Looking Glass 3:03
9. "Come a Little Bit Closer" Jay and the Americans 2:46
10. "Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang" Silver 3:32
11. "Surrender" Cheap Trick 4:14
12. "Father and Son" Cat Stevens 3:39
13. "Flash Light" Parliament 4:28
14. "Guardians Inferno" The Sneepers featuring David Hasselhoff 3:16

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

I hope they do this one right! Sure wish ZY was still doing art for Stern!

Hes not?

#42 6 years ago

GB was a contract job, he is not a Stern employee. No reason he couldn't work on a future title, but there is no evidence to that point either.

#43 6 years ago

Chris Franchi said he worked with John Born on his next game, so connecting the dots, it will be Chris Franchi art with John Borg design.

#44 6 years ago

It's been so long since STERN had a game with 3 flippers on the main playfield, I'd love to see that on their next pin especially if it's GOTG. If that's the case and it is Borg, then there could be some magic there. I love the feel and flow of TRON and even X-Men has some fantastic shots. Something similar but unique with some more interactive and relevant toys and STERN could save some face after the perceived empty layout of Star Wars. After the JJP Pirates announcement I would guess we'll see something above par from STERN on the next title.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

i think you are ready to open another thread in few month:

"DaveH is a hypocrite!! GOTG in da house!"

#46 6 years ago

Is that the track listing from the second movie? Here is the first. Wow what memories of these songs.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Well, going to wait for finished code....
Also I am most hoping that the licensed soundtrack is used - not all the songs, but enough to enjoy. Maybe 6 - 8 tracks?
Probably getting zero
No. Title Artist(s) Length
1. "Mr. Blue Sky" Electric Light Orchestra 5:03
2. "Fox on the Run" Sweet 3:25
3. "Lake Shore Drive" Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah 3:49
4. "The Chain" Fleetwood Mac 4:27
5. "Bring It On Home to Me" Sam Cooke 2:43
6. "Southern Nights" Glen Campbell 2:57
7. "My Sweet Lord" George Harrison 4:37
8. "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" Looking Glass 3:03
9. "Come a Little Bit Closer" Jay and the Americans 2:46
10. "Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang" Silver 3:32
11. "Surrender" Cheap Trick 4:14
12. "Father and Son" Cat Stevens 3:39
13. "Flash Light" Parliament 4:28
14. "Guardians Inferno" The Sneepers featuring David Hasselhoff 3:16

#47 6 years ago

Absolutely great theme for me and my family. Only problem is I have a SW premium sitting in the livingroom like a brick right now (newest code is killing machines) and I won't be giving Stern more money until the code is working on that game. Then they've promised updates to GB and AS which I would kind of like to see before committing to another one of their games.

If it's a great game and has complete code that isn't buggy I'll be in a for a premium for sure.

#48 6 years ago

Chris Franchi said he worked with John Born on his next game, so connecting the dots, it will be Chris Franchi art with John Borg design.

That confirms rumors, plus Lonnie code as Lyman doing Elvira.

Is that the track listing from the second movie? Here is the first. Wow what memories of these songs.
» YouTube video

Yup, 2nd movie, Vol 2.

#49 6 years ago

deleted

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

It's been so long since STERN had a game with 3 flippers on the main playfield, I'd love to see that on their next pin especially if it's GOTG.

It's been 4 years & 10 new titles since they released a pin with a 3rd flipper. Think about that. Last 3 flipper Stern title was Star Trek (not counting SMVE as that was a remake).

That's pretty lousy, and just shows they've been getting lazy recycling layouts for years.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
There are 744 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-hype and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.