Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 20.30.13.png
500-1083-01-L6 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181115_182321.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 11.01.51 AM (resized).png
20181013_101159 (resized).jpg
20181013_101205 (resized).jpg
20181013_101216 (resized).jpg
FE2976A7-9E4D-4321-A44F-996E988808CC (resized).jpeg
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

is not that ... all that is already corrected. I mean that just at the moment when the ball goes through the magnet, the orb target gets up and having strength when climbing the ball hits a small boat, just so that the magnet does not grip it

Trying to understand the translation issue, what do you mean by "a small boat"? In English a boat is a small ship, a vessel that travels on water, if you can clarify what you mean perhaps we can help you with the issue. If there is a small boat on your playfield you have a very big problem.

#52 4 years ago

if the orb board rises after releasing the ball, it rises with force and causes the ball to jump a little, this makes the magnet does not hold it

#53 4 years ago

Sorry for my English.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

if the orb board rises after releasing the ball, it rises with force and causes the ball to jump a little, this makes the magnet does not hold it

Got it. I can't say I've ever seen that happen on mine, it has always caught or at least slowed the ball down nicely. What pitch do you have the game setup too, how high are the back leg levelers extended?

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Al tratar de entender el problema de la traducción, ¿qué quiere decir con "un bote pequeño"? En inglés, un barco es un barco pequeño, un barco que viaja en el agua, si puede aclarar qué quiere decir, quizás podamos ayudarlo con el problema. Si hay un bote pequeño en tu campo de juego, tienes un gran problema.

small boat, I mean a small jump

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

Sorry for my English.

It is a lot better than my Spanish, I assure you, no need to apologize.

#57 4 years ago

Jajajajajajajajaja thankssss

#58 4 years ago

The one thing I did to help the magnet grab the ball was replace the post sleeve to the right side of the drop target with a newer and slightly larger post sleeve. I know it doesn’t seem like much but as the ball exits the orb lock that slightly bigger post sleeve bounced the ball out farther and directly over the magnet. After that my machine went from never catching the ball to catching it over 90% of the time.

#59 4 years ago

I already put the widest sleeve, the problem is that the ball hits a small jump just when it will pass over the magnet, this happens when the card rises after releasing the ball, the card rises with force and the vibration in the board the ball jumps a bit just when it's going to pass over the magnet

#60 4 years ago

in this video you can see the problem, look at this plase..

#61 4 years ago

when raising the drop target it causes the ball to hit a small jump when it is reaching the area of ​​the magnet. When jumping the ball the magnet can not hold it

#62 4 years ago

Are you sure that little jump is the problem? You might try recording in slow motion bUT it seems like your magnet is not working you should at least get a ltitle effect like a swirl as the ball goes over the magnet.

A few suggestions:

Check playfield angle,too steep might affect

Check magnet grab by placing ball on it while activating it in diagnostics

Hard to see in the video but the ball jump might be fixed by raising or lowering the drop target rest position,I think it can be adjusted from underneath

#63 4 years ago

already check and the magnet works perfectly, also has a washer so that the magnet is closer to the board. Before fixing the problem with the drop target always held the ball. It appears that the drop target when climbing with force causes the impact ball jump, this makes the magnet not hold

#64 4 years ago

recorded in slow motion, but when uploading the video to YouTube you upload it in normal speed

#65 4 years ago

Are those the original balls? I changed the balls in mine and the new ones don't catch nearly as well. Could be part of the issue.

#66 4 years ago

I slowed down your video with the you tube setting menu , I doubt that little jump is what is causing the magnet not to grab. . so if you have the magnet activated and you roll the ball out of the orb in magnet diagnostic mode without the target popping back up does it catch or swirl the ball ?

if you want to pursue the jump idea I wonder if you might be able to minimize it by adjusting the force of the drop target popping back up using either the spring tension on the mechanism or adjust the coil setting in the settings menu.

#67 4 years ago

the magnet grabs it perfectly in test mode. The magnet is not the problem and it checks it. It happens since I manipulated the mechanism to eliminate the drop target failure. If you watch another video originally when the drop target is lifted the ball is already in the magnet, in my machine as the mechanism varies, now it rises before the ball reaches the magnet and that is why the small jump causes the magnet not to hold the ball.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

the magnet grabs it perfectly in test mode. The magnet is not the problem and it checks it. It happens since I manipulated the mechanism to eliminate the drop target failure. If you watch another video originally when the drop target is lifted the ball is already in the magnet, in my machine as the mechanism varies, now it rises before the ball reaches the magnet and that is why the small jump causes the magnet not to hold the ball.

I'm in the group that finds it hard to believe that tiny little jump is enough to prevent the magnet from catching the ball properly, I'll check mine out better when I get home this afternoon but I think it does about the same amount of jump but still catches it perfectly at least 95% of the time. What kind of balls are you using?

#69 4 years ago

they are the original balls. I can say that before making the variations in drop target the magnet caught the ball perfectly, now only slightly deflects the ball but can not catch it. The lock of orb is having error again although I made all the possible modifications. new mechanism of drop orb that works correctly I will have to sell the machine. I like this machine very much and I would not like to have to do it

#70 4 years ago

Can you recommend a supplier that can sell me a new drop target orb mechanism updated? I want to keep this machine because I like it a lot

#71 4 years ago

Might have already been mentioned. I had this same problem when I unboxed mine. I saw someone had success removing the retention spring all together. I tried it, and haven't had any issues since.

At the the same time, I had reached out to the distribute, the got me in touch with Stern, seemed like a fairly common issue, they asked for a few pictures to see if the mech was an old model or new design.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from crussell:

Podría haber sido ya mencionado. Tuve este mismo problema cuando desempaqué el mío. Vi que alguien tuvo éxito quitando el resorte de retención todos juntos. Lo intenté, y no he tenido ningún problema desde entonces.
Al mismo tiempo, me puse en contacto con el distribuidor, me pusieron en contacto con Stern, parecía un problema bastante común, me pidieron algunas fotos para ver si el mech era un modelo antiguo o un diseño nuevo.

Can you put a picture of the spring that you removed? Thank you

#73 4 years ago

a dealer in europe will have a spare part of the mechanism for sale but it's different, I'm going to buy one but I wanted to ask if someone has it on the machine and if it works well

500-1083-01-L6 (resized).jpg500-1083-01-L6 (resized).jpg
#74 4 years ago

FYI: Based upon this thread commenting on a 'upgraded' design to the drop target assembly, I contacted Chas at Stern asking about the 'upgraded' design as my new GOTG Premium was occasionally would not release the ball stuck behind it. Chas immediately knew what I was talking and offered to send me the changed part to fix my issue. The part came in today, and I installed it a little while ago. At first glance the part looked identical to the original piece, 535-1660-00 (part #24 in the diagram). However upon closer examination there is a small difference where the corners on the piece that pushes against the drop target plastic. Kind of hard to explain, but I took a pic of the old bracket where I used a black sharpie (circled in red) to indicate the corners that are missing on the newer replacement piece I got from Stern. Installed the new part and it is working perfectly so far. The change in the pieces is small enough that anyone with a Dremel or even a metal file can easily change their original piece to the new version. Looking at the mechanism I can easily see how those corners could hit the other bracket, keeping it from pushing down the plastic target. Removing those corners now allows that piece to move freely to the plastic target itself.
Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 20.30.13.pngScreen Shot 2019-06-20 at 20.30.13.pngfullsizeoutput_d0b.jpegfullsizeoutput_d0b.jpeg

#75 4 years ago

my problem is that the ball comes out before the drop target orb retains it by making the lock

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

my problem is that the ball comes out before the drop target orb retains it by making the lock

Yes, and others have other drop target issues mentioned earlier in the thread. My post may help those people if they have those issues.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

in this video you can see the problem, look at this plase..

Watch the video in slow motion. You can change the playback speed on youtube.

Your drop target when in the down position is too low. You need to adjust it so it is even and level with the playfield. The ball is "jumping" because the drop target is too low and below the playfield instead of being flush and even.

1 year later
#78 3 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

FYI: Based upon this thread commenting on a 'upgraded' design to the drop target assembly, I contacted Chas at Stern asking about the 'upgraded' design as my new GOTG Premium was occasionally would not release the ball stuck behind it. Chas immediately knew what I was talking and offered to send me the changed part to fix my issue. The part came in today, and I installed it a little while ago. At first glance the part looked identical to the original piece, 535-1660-00 (part #24 in the diagram). However upon closer examination there is a small difference where the corners on the piece that pushes against the drop target plastic. Kind of hard to explain, but I took a pic of the old bracket where I used a black sharpie (circled in red) to indicate the corners that are missing on the newer replacement piece I got from Stern. Installed the new part and it is working perfectly so far. The change in the pieces is small enough that anyone with a Dremel or even a metal file can easily change their original piece to the new version. Looking at the mechanism I can easily see how those corners could hit the other bracket, keeping it from pushing down the plastic target. Removing those corners now allows that piece to move freely to the plastic target itself.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Great info. This means that the part experiences some kind of lateral movement resulting it to get stuck in some kind? I will most certainly try to modify the piece and see if it works.
I removed the mech from my machine yesterday after I got fed up with it again and noticed that the drop target seemed to be somehow "stuck" Upon removal it came loose.

To be continued.

9 months later
#79 2 years ago

I was just able to fix my orb drop target. I noticed that the rocker assembly was binding against the main bracket at the top. I was able to bend the top of the main bracket slightly up to provide clearance for the rocker (arrow pointing to it below). It works perfectly now.

046E5E67-1FCE-4645-85D5-29D979E95ECE (resized).jpeg046E5E67-1FCE-4645-85D5-29D979E95ECE (resized).jpeg
1 year later
#80 1 year ago

Is there a full list of all the current solution pathways to the issue? Thanks in advance.

#81 1 year ago

I’ve tried many, many, many adjustments for mine on route. It works after the adjustment then a week later it will not drop the target. I replaced the mech and it worked for another 6-9 months. I have a mech on back order for the low low price of $240. I give up

#82 1 year ago

I saw on the club thread there were some $5 fixes. I just can’t find them now. Supposedly there were three of them.

#83 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I saw on the club thread there were some $5 fixes. I just can’t find them now. Supposedly there were three of them.

This post (it's in the key post index) sums up several different options: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/136#post-7180041

#84 1 year ago

Tried all those fixes and more. Maybe works for home play but not route. Moving the metal part that drops the target closer to the magnet takes away overall movement of the metal. It hits the target with less force since the range of motion is less. This is a stupid problem to have and has been frustrating. I think the real problem is the weight of the ball is to much for the mech to drop the target after heavy play so the target is wedged between the playfield and the ball.

3 months later
#85 1 year ago

So not sure if this is covered in a post (didn't review all of them) but wanted to list it here in case it can help someone. I have a new Guardians Pro manufactured in September of 2022. Following @ScottyC's excellent post (and using his image to add some comments to what I attached) I wanted to list my issue, which is the opposite of what he and many others have had. My issue was too narrow of a gap between then magnet and the target drop trigger. I had to move the magnet away from the drop trigger maybe 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch to get the trip lever to push the target off the ledge and drop the target successfully. My advice from playing around with this is to have the gap between magnet and trip level as close as possible but where it still will drop the target. I did not measure my gap but would estimate the desired distance is around 1/4 of an inch (my guess).

You can test this out by standing the target up (pushing up from the bottom on the bar that has the spring around it in the picture) and then lifting the trip lever to ensure it drops the target successfully. Took me a couple efforts as I was gently trying to increase the distance. Not hard to adjust if you start by applying light pressure and then increase gradually until you find the right amount to move this.

LeverDistance_Edited (resized).JPGLeverDistance_Edited (resized).JPG
#86 1 year ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Tried all those fixes and more. Maybe works for home play but not route. Moving the metal part that drops the target closer to the magnet takes away overall movement of the metal. It hits the target with less force since the range of motion is less. This is a stupid problem to have and has been frustrating. I think the real problem is the weight of the ball is to much for the mech to drop the target after heavy play so the target is wedged between the playfield and the ball.

Chrizg

Are you still routing gotg? I picked one up to put on location and have been testing it at home. This drop target issue seems to happen rarely, but still does on occasion. Not sure if I want to put it out, even though I’ve heard it still earns well.

2 months later
#87 11 months ago

FYI...I just repaired a GOTG pin for a friend of mine that just purchased it...It is in great shape but had this issue...Simple FIX!...Just remove the small coin on the drop target mechanism and use a small (no more than a 1/16th in width) washer between the mounting plate and the coil...Screw is long enough to use...If you use a thicker washer, it will bind and stop the bracket from releasing the drop target...Just this little fix solved its problem...Machine works great now!...The problem was that there was to much space between the coil and the release pivoting plate so there was not always enough power to pull it inward when there was a ball resting on it so the machine got confused and thought it released the captured ball so if you made a shot that hit the target, it would lower thinking that there was no ball there and because there is a little angle lip on the drop target, it would push the trapped ball towards the hidden target and when it hit it, the game would raise the target (which it thought was lowered) so fast, it would capture the same ball confusing it...I believe this to be a software glitch that Stern should have considered this scenario and fix this bug...
The other option is the remove the pivoting target release plate and bend it up just that 1/16th of a inch as shown in one of the above posts...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 22.50
$ 25.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 28.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-drop-target-problem/page/2?hl=pinballjj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.