“Guardians AND (Pinbot or BK2000) Vs. Hobbit”

• Guardians AND BK2000 or Pinbot 21 votes
    64%
  • Hobbit LE 12 votes
    36%

(33 votes)

#1 5 years ago

Yep, It's another either/or post.
I've got a buyer lined up for my AFMrSE and between that and the money I got for my last trade I have enough for either a lightly used nicely modded Guardians of the Galaxy AND a (Pinbot or BK2000) or a Hobbit LE. I know it boils down to personal preference but wanted to see what the crowd thought. This would be going beside a Jurassic Park.

With a Pinbot OR BK2000, Jurassic Park, and Guardians, you'd have a mix of 3 different manufacturers from 3 decades that all played very differently.

With a JP and Hobbit you'd have 2 games that played very differently, one of them really, really, deep.

If it was only one machine, I think Hobbit would win... but I'm not sure about vs 2 machines.

#2 5 years ago

I've been told The Hobbit has really excellent code now, but that Playfield design is just so uninspired to me.

I'd go GOTG and Pinbot or BK2000.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I've been told The Hobbit has really excellent code now, but that Playfield design is just so uninspired to me.
I'd go GOTG and Pinbot or BK2000.

GOTG has an excellent playfield design, but that code is just so uninspiring to me.

I’d go Hobbit LE

#4 5 years ago

Had hobbit, traded it. It’s one of best looking/sounding pins, but unfortunately not one of the best playing pins

I’d go with gotg and BK2k,but definitely put some time on a Hobbit to see if it’s for you.

#5 5 years ago

Hobbit, incredible game with some of the deepest, unique and polished code in pinball.

#6 5 years ago

I'd cast a vote for Hobbit as well. I love the look and music of BK2000 but man the actual game gets old FAST, and I love system 11 stuff usually. The Guardians layout, theme, and same feeling modes just do nothing for me personally. Pinbot is a classic, but it's never really felt to me like a game I need to own, maybe I've just had my fill of playing it at this point though. Hobbit will keep you busy for a while and I like it a lot even though I generally don't like how widebodies play. If those are the games you're limited to I'd do Hobbit all day personally - but you're the one that has to live with it and play it so get the ones that are the most fun to YOU! You also have a smaller collection, so more games might give you better variety.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

GOTG has an excellent playfield design, but that code is just so uninspiring to me.
I’d go Hobbit LE

The Hobbit is all code. ALL code. The design is barely, well, a design. They're not a satisfying shot on that pin.

#8 5 years ago

The Hobbit is all code. ALL code. The design is barely, well, a design. They're not a satisfying shot on that pin.

Yes but to people that can't play their way out of a paper bag that's important. I try to keep telling myself this but it's hard to remember I know.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes but to people that can't play their way out of a paper bag that's important. I try to keep telling myself this but it's hard to remember I know.

I know there's a debate on whether you could call a "pin" a "table,", but with the Hobbit, you could. That playfield is literally mostly "table".

#10 5 years ago

Hobbit's reputation will always suffer, unfortunately, but that is what I would get in this case.

If you update the code, rake it as it should be, learn what to hit and when and enjoy the theme, it is one of the best values in pinball. Its theme integration is incredible. Every manufacturer, including yes, JERSEY JACK, could benefit from studying how the theme was implemented in The Hobbit.

Some of the best values and experiences in pinball are thanks to a vocal mainstream that has denounced a title due to bandwagon thinking, spite, fanboy ways or a splash of all the above. Go your own way, because it works... in life and pinball. Buy Secret Service and Atlantis if you like it! Put bright LED's in it if you like it.

#11 5 years ago

I like hobbit it's the next game I would like to get for my collection as well but for you I would go GOTG, BK2000, and pinbot you get a lot of diversity and once you get bored of them you can sell them and get something different.

#12 5 years ago

Hobbit was designed to have a constantly changing play field - that why there are so many monster mechs. They are used varyingly as single targets, armies where they constantly pop back up after you’ve knocked them down, obstacles where they will not move no matter what you do, and you have to work around them; and they are essential to the game feeling like you’re in a “battle” at times.

That’s why the play field seems so “empty” to some. The back of the play field is more deeply used in the corners that almost any other game, and so at first it feels like the game has less than other games - Even though it has the same number or more mechs going on

The ramps are very fun to shoot, just like in GOTG. Unfortunately Smaug does not eat the ball. Boo hoo.

I was an early owner where I liked the game, but eventually wanted a change. Then the MASSIVE code update came out earlier this year.
@Guinnestime mentioned the game is ALL code, which is true really - the code is what makes the game so dynamic. The recent updates present a game that is radically different - I got one back and it gets played every night now. I think the sound is the best thing - it puts you in the game. Sometimes it’s too much!

Also it mimics the story - starts off slow and things get progressively harder and more intense as you go. It is a lot harder to get multiballs going now, but yo can progress through the game story faster. IMO there’s not a better union of pinball and “adventure game”.

GOTG is fun too - you won’t go wrong with that. If you’ve owned Sterns before you’ll be fairly familiar. You get a Groot, but you miss out on the dynamic playfield, the crazy ass moon rune diverter (like the hyper inner loop in Stern SW) and the whole story. Pinbot is cool too, and a classic! but you’ll only play it as a break from one of the other games.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hobbit was designed to have a constantly changing play field - that why there are so many monster mechs. They are used varyingly as single targets, armies where they constantly pop back up after you’ve knocked them down, obstacles where they will not move no matter what you do, and you have to work around them; and they are essential to the game feeling like you’re in a “battle” at times.
That’s why the play field seems so “empty” to some. The back of the play field is more deeply used in the corners that almost any other game, and so at first it feels like the game has less than other games - Even though it has the same number or more mechs going on
The ramps are very fun to shoot, just like in GOTG. Unfortunately Smaug does not eat the ball. Boo hoo.
I was an early owner where I liked the game, but eventually wanted a change. Then the MASSIVE code update came out earlier this year.
@Guinnestime mentioned the updates are ALL code, which is true (what else would they be?). The game is radically different - I got one back and it gets played every night now. I think the sound is the best thing - it puts you in the game. Sometimes it’s too much!
Also it mimics the story - starts off slow and things get progressively harder and more intense as you go. It is a lot harder to get multiballs going now, but yo can progress through the game story faster. IMO there’s not a better union of pinball and “adventure game”.
GOTG is fun too - you won’t go wrong with that. If you’ve owned Sterns before you’ll be fairly familiar. You get a Groot, but you miss out on the dynamic playfield, the crazy ass moon rune diverter (like the hyper inner loop in Stern SW) and the whole story. Pinbot is cool too, and a classic! but you’ll only play it as a break from one of the other games.

Updates are code, yes. But that pin is really all code, 4 pop up mechs and a bunch of drop targets (with an added non-sensical flipper). Sorry, but it just is.

You have to constantly have something pop up and block your shot to you hit it to knock it out of the way. Not a combo machine at all. To me, it just like ramp, rash, gain control, repeat, MULTIBALL!

I love LOTR (movies and pin), and can deal with The Hobbit Movies (although they're not "purchase worthy" for me), but man I play and see TH and just wonder what could have been. Put that in an IJ layout or something and it'd be amazing. Missed opportunity in my book.

It is a good value, sure. They've come down quite a bit.

Sorry, not trying to bash something that someone likes, but that's just how I feel with it. Is it deep. Hell yes. Code for days. In a home environment I can see enjoying the journey, but even playing a malfunctioning JJP POTC, I thought the layout was leaps and bounds more interesting.

#14 5 years ago

Hobbit all day. I used to enjoy playing BK2000 until someone said it is just a right flipper game, which it is. Guardians is just not fun for me. Bad code, uninspired layout (if you've ever owned a Borg game), and bad use of theme and assets.

Hobbit has some good shots. The orbits are super smooth and ramps are easy to hit. 11 individually controlled drops, standup targets, 2 ramps, a drop down diverter, 4 beast mechs, and magnets everywhere make this game packed. Plus 33 modes, each with their own unique objectives, music, and lighting. It is game that makes you think and plan based on the mode you are in or your current objective. Plus, most Hobbit haters must not have played enough to get to the 3 wizard modes, each with multiple stages. They have some of the best callouts, music, and objectives of any mode in any game.

Sorry to go long, but folks who dismiss this game just amaze me. It is the heaviest JJP game because of so many mechs. They are just more subtle than WOZ, DI or JJPOTC. But, at the end of the day, choose what you like and good luck. I have a Hobbit and I love it. Someone else is loving their GOTG and BK2000 and it's all good.

#15 5 years ago

In short. If the OP wants a game based on shots - Guardians. If he wants a deep rules/code game, Hobbit.

I’d throw some bonus points on hobbit for integration as well. Masterpiece of immersive theme integration. While guardians is pretty much just playing the whole movie with some scoring and overdubs here and there.

#16 5 years ago

gotg and bk 2000 , more flexibility, i wanted a hobbit so bad, until i played it.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

In short. If the OP wants a game based on shots - Guardians. If he wants a deep rules/code game, Hobbit.
I’d throw some bonus points on hobbit for integration as well. Masterpiece of immersive theme integration. While guardians is pretty much just playing the whole movie with some scoring and overdubs here and there.

Yep that's basically it. I can't comment on the sound mod for GOTG, but the stock sounds are BAD. But, these are the choices we're given.

#18 5 years ago

Hobbit is one of the best games ever created. From top to bottom I really couldn't think of a better designed immersive saga of a game. No two games are ever the same and the new code is really a stroke of genius. Can't imagine being too into it at a location environment, too many subtleties to enjoy with other games being played around it. Really perfect for the home environment when you are looking for an adventure.

It does play long. I couldn't imagine owning it as my only game, best to pair it up with a game that has much lower ball times.

In the end though, it really is a monumental feat of art, engineering and rules.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Hobbit is one of the best games ever created. From top to bottom I really couldn't think of a better designed immersive saga of a game. No two games are ever the same and the new code is really a stroke of genius. Can't imagine being too into it at a location environment, too many subtleties to enjoy with other games being played around it. Really perfect for the home environment when you are looking for an adventure.
It does play long. I couldn't imagine owning it as my only game, best to pair it up with a game that has much lower ball times.
In the end though, it really is a monumental feat of art, engineering and rules.

Also noteworthy is that it has something like 31 MODES, not including the 4 multi balls, 3 mini wizards, and 2 wizard modes

#20 5 years ago

I would probably go Hobbit here.
1. BK2K I don't want in my home, no interest no thanks (Pinbot's fine but whatever I don't need one)
2. GOTG I just played a bit the other week; and yeah it's kind of more of the same. Met was great we all know but this was just sort of meh for me. Theme isn't super but the graphics looked decent but didn;t inspire me to play more.
3. Don't know shit aboot hobbit, haven't played it in years, but if it's as deep as they say I wouldn't mind picking one up and putting some time on it. It was early code when I played and super annoying, but of course it was pretty.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-and-pinbot-or-bk2000-vs-hobbit?hl=looking4firstpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.