824E045A-9C5F-4708-A0CC-8643870B96ED (resized).jpeg
F5FBD34F-2E04-40A0-8039-F9CCCDB65107 (resized).jpeg
A3D38C6A-CB2D-4959-BAB5-D9703DC40AEA (resized).png
66A36E31-E4F7-49A3-BF9A-CD50FDF55F01 (resized).jpeg
slingpost1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190625_160834 (resized).jpg
ccc06.gif
ccc07.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1858 4 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

My one gripe is that the game at the show is set on 2 balls per player and no ball save (not even a few seconds). So I feel like the majority of people playing we're leaving the game frustrated with how short their time was on it.

This is my figurative .02 not a shot-map comparison:

I got in 2-3 games at GSPF, and the ball times were very short, so I didn't change my already good opinion of this layout from watching a few hours of the streams, but if I had to describe it to someone that has played a lot of pinball, I would say: Imagine the feel of Whirlwind but take out all the drop targets. So the "feel" of it for me (a 1980's drop target player) is "barren". I'm sure if I were playing pinball in 1992, I would have said the same thing about Funhouse -- a layout I'm not a big fan of. Great theme, but where are my drops? Funhouse feels empty and barren to me, even though it has some fun combos and great programming. Feel...

So to me, taking out drops and spinning discs to play Funhouse or Wonka is a small step down in feel from a peak design for Pat. Enjoy your combos! But I'm more of a drop target horizontal bounce player...

Note: the pops held up my ball on several occasions, and I've just never been a fan of Pat's pop designs that hold up the ball (see Whirlwind) where the ball fails 3 out of 4 of the reasons to have pops (scoring targets, draining balls, randomizing movement) -- he uses them strictly for modes, so if you are not in the mode, they are a time suck my book.

-mof

#1860 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't care for the sound package. It's too whizzy chirp chirp bleep bloop bright and dingy for me.

Regarding sounds (versus music or movie clips) -- I couldn't hear the game, so I can't comment further on that.

I walked up to Jack personally at the pinball show 2 years ago, and said the Hobbit doesn't sound like pinball to me (WOZ does!), it sounds like a cat dry-humping a DVR remote which is playing movie clips randomly. I don't know whether he appreciated what I was trying to communicate.

Every shot (or location) should have a unique sound based off every switch (see Whirlwind or Funhouse)... I can close my eyes and tell you where the ball is in those games, based off sounds. To me modern pinballs OFTEN fail with sound, and it's my #2 reason to own a game after layout/physics. I want to control the sounds like a musician plays a keyboard. Everyone has their pecking order of what matters. I'm physics then player-controlled-sounds...

The good news is sounds can be fixed in code -- but I'm not sure if any manufacturer has ever done that before -- so it might not be where they want to put their resources.

I'll go listen to an hour of a stream and try to listen for whether you can begin to imagine where the ball is based on sounds.
-mof

#1862 4 years ago

At GSPF -- Oktoberfest and Wonka were side by side, and I found "exploring the shot map" more intriguing on OF. It has more to do on it. Does that make it better overall for my tastes? I have absolutely no idea, and I don't wanna argue it either way. Just reporting first impressions based on a side-by-side look. I was more compelled to play the silly beer game and see if I could make all the crazy shots on that thing, and it certainly had longer ball times to buy time to explore...

Definitely look forward to playing much more of both -- however, I'm a little bummed that it might take a while to see either one again out in SF.

-mof

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,600 (OBO)
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.50
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtgt-wonka-is-coming-whos-in?tu=mof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.