6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 2,284 posts
  • 383 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 40 days ago by Clint12
  • Topic is favorited by 65 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 200 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WONKA Features Matrix-1 (resized).png
49E83284-8E8D-414F-8ECD-1330B45347D3 (resized).jpeg
CD324A43-FA8B-41B1-A548-DFC45D8387D8 (resized).jpeg
FE79D78A-14F3-481E-91D5-C91603CA5086 (resized).jpeg
BBFADDC5-AA92-4AA7-958E-D429C79E4844 (resized).jpeg
mar_demolitionman.gif
90DA6BD3-CE5A-420B-9898-1DEFFE02D6A1 (resized).jpeg
62ED461B-73EC-4968-AB9E-0A2103727754 (resized).jpeg
824E045A-9C5F-4708-A0CC-8643870B96ED (resized).jpeg
F5FBD34F-2E04-40A0-8039-F9CCCDB65107 (resized).jpeg
A3D38C6A-CB2D-4959-BAB5-D9703DC40AEA (resized).png
66A36E31-E4F7-49A3-BF9A-CD50FDF55F01 (resized).jpeg
slingpost1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190625_160834 (resized).jpg
ccc06.gif
ccc07.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1803 5 months ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Can JJP ever add an enthusiastic “Jackpot!” callout in a game?

At least they are more enthusiastic than the ones from Dialed In!

#1911 4 months ago

I played Wonka for the first time today for about a half hour or so. Based on what I had seen in the online streams I didn’t think the game would be a reasonable fit for me. I can probably only make room for two games in the next couple years and figured they would be from the list of Toy Story, Munsters or Elvira. Stern screwed the pooch with Munsters code so that’s probably out. Too bad because I like the theme almost as much as Toy Story.

I’ve added Wonka to the list if the code ends up being decent because I had a blast shooting it and Wonka is a likable enough theme even if it isn’t one I’d initially pick. It’s now pretty obvious to me I can’t tell enough from watch a stream of game play. The room was a little dark so I couldn’t fully appreciate the look of the game but I saw enough to like what I saw. I don’t really know the rules yet so I was mostly just shooting shots. I always enjoy ramp combos and tried to do as many of those as I could. Don’t think there were any special points for them but the ramps are smooth and fun. Others have pointed out the highlights of Pat’s shot design and I love the variety, especially the east/west shots. The Gobstopper mech/shot may not be as revolutionary as K led us to believe but I found it interesting and satisfying.

Some of the graphics seemed cluttered/muddy? and I understand why people say the game sounds like a slot machine. Sounds were too repetitive and somewhat annoying (don’t know what level of code was on the game) but the game is definitely on my radar now if things get fleshed out and improved as JJP has done with past code. And I agree there needs to be more iconic clips with sound. While I could see a mode for each kid, not sure that’s a make/break thing. I know we’ll never get Candyman in the game, but that would have been awesome. But it was fun trying to get the whole Oompa Loompa lie out of the pop bumpers - that is a very clever use of that iconic bit.

I made the Wonkavator shot once (and saw someone else do it). Not sure what I did, but the mech is cool so that’s enough for me to go LE over standard. And it looks like the Mod Couple Wonka factory mod will be an absolute necessity as the Atomic Pile mod is for Batman 66. I know I was playing a prototype game so maybe JJP won’t ship the game with what someone called the Land O Lakes butter box but it’s horrible and really distracts from the look of the game.

I believe Pat’s layout and the shots will make up for a lot. It’s rare that I like the shots and layout on a game to the point where I’m willing to overlook some other items usually key for me. If you have discounted Wonka because of what you have seen online hold off deciding until you play it. I’m not sure it will end up in my game room but I’ll give it a very long look after the code matures (though probably not until after we what Toy Story is (or if it is) next year).

At this point in my collection I only want games I’m confident I will enjoy long term since I have to move out a favorite for any new game so I’m probably not a day one buyer anymore but I see Wonka as a game that could eventually meet that criteria. For those for whom Wonka is a dream theme, I’m guessing you won’t be disappointed.

#1914 4 months ago

Well, I’m not sure my review was glowing. There is clearly a lot of room for improvement. I would not buy it as is. I’m at the point where I’m not buying any new game until I’m happy with whatever the current code level is.

My main point was that the game was just plain fun to shoot and much more so actually doing it rather than trying to decide that by watching someone else do it on a video. Going from “not interested enough to buy” to “can eventually see it in my game room” is a big move for me and that’s pretty much because of Pat’s design.

1 week later
#2009 4 months ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

WELL I HAVE BEEN GONE FOR TOO LONG......

Nah. You can never be gone for too long...

#2020 4 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

At MGC they told us 60 days at the reveal. I don't remember if it was part of the reveal or if it was the investor/owner that was there that said it while talking to us all. Others have posted the 60 days though as well that remember hearing it at MGC.

So what? If they make that date, great. If not, so what?

The game will still ship.

But it’s a toy. Why people get so worked up about stuff like this is mind boggling.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.50
12,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 7,500.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 2.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 18.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside