8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 2,284 posts
  • 383 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Clint12
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 200 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WONKA Features Matrix-1 (resized).png
49E83284-8E8D-414F-8ECD-1330B45347D3 (resized).jpeg
CD324A43-FA8B-41B1-A548-DFC45D8387D8 (resized).jpeg
FE79D78A-14F3-481E-91D5-C91603CA5086 (resized).jpeg
BBFADDC5-AA92-4AA7-958E-D429C79E4844 (resized).jpeg
mar_demolitionman.gif
90DA6BD3-CE5A-420B-9898-1DEFFE02D6A1 (resized).jpeg
62ED461B-73EC-4968-AB9E-0A2103727754 (resized).jpeg
824E045A-9C5F-4708-A0CC-8643870B96ED (resized).jpeg
F5FBD34F-2E04-40A0-8039-F9CCCDB65107 (resized).jpeg
A3D38C6A-CB2D-4959-BAB5-D9703DC40AEA (resized).png
66A36E31-E4F7-49A3-BF9A-CD50FDF55F01 (resized).jpeg
slingpost1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190625_160834 (resized).jpg
ccc06.gif
ccc07.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fizz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1477 7 months ago

I played Wonka at MGC and was underwhelmed. I think it shoots well, but the flippers were weak and took some of the fun out of it.

I'm mostly disappointed with the theme integration.

I mean, why am I shooting the gobstopper three times to start gobstopper multiball? I guess, because it's a pinball machine with a gobstopper in it. But just because the movie had Gobstoppers, and you stick a plastic gobstopper into the game, does not make for good theme integration.

They could have developed the exact same mechanism, but put a model of the boat on top instead of the gobstopper. Then, when you are shooting balls into it, it represents the kids boarding the boat. When they are all boarded, the boat spins, multiball starts, and you play the boat scene on the screen along with the creepy dialog. That scene goes along with a spinning boat very well.

Well these are just my thoughts and I know there is much more that goes into this stuff, so my opinion is definitely not well informed or worth much. And honestly if I didn't love the theme so much, I'd actually be more likely to buy this game.

#1480 7 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

There’s only so many choices you can make in putting something into a pinball machine. The gobstopper is more integral to the plot than the boat. Everyone just remembers the boat because of the creepy scene, which is great. But I wouldn’t call the choice about putting a gobstopper into the game bad theme integration.

I definitely agree the gobstopper needs to be in the game. Not trying to start any arguments here, or trying to criticize any choices that were made. Just saying that in my opinion, it didn't really click with me. After all, one gobstopper is enough for anybody, right? So why is it a multiball?

I get it, it's a pinball machine. You shoot stuff repeatedly to start modes. It's all good. Just wish it actually represented something from the movie, that's all.

#1484 7 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you tell anybody ? With all the games going at MGC, electrical power may have dropped. And they could have made the flippers stronger to compensate for it.
LTG : )

No I didn't. The lead software developer was standing right there watching everyone play. I figured they must have wanted them that way. I played several games on 2 different machines, both were weak.

I know I'm not the only one who thought the flippers were weak at MGC. It's been discussed in other threads.

#1485 7 months ago

Also, I apologize if my post about the flipper strength seemed like a criticism. I really didn't mean it like that. My thought at the time was that they had them set weak since they were prototype games and didn't want to break stuff. That's totally understandable, if this is the case. Maybe I'm wrong though?

But the only reason mentioned it is that I think I didn't get a full good idea of just how fun the game is. Which then, in turn, made me start thinking about the theme stuff I discussed above.

#1489 7 months ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Do you think flippers are weak because you can‘t hit the ball up a ramp or because they don‘t accelerate the ball as fast as you like?
I don‘t like it when the flippers are stronger than they need to be.

Man, I really don't want to become "that guy" who is complaining about the flippers.

But yes, I did feel they were too weak. Maybe it was intended, maybe not. I apologize for bringing it up.

For the record, Wonka was the only game at the show which I felt this way about. All the Stern and CGC games, which were very close by, had flippers which were strong, and in many cases, too strong. That's why I assumed the Wonkas were turned down on purpose.

I'm a big jjp supporter so I'm sorry I brought this up.

#1512 7 months ago

Well I was kinda ridiculed in this thread for bringing up the weak flippers at MGC, like 2 pages ago.

That's really a shame that it still seems to be an issue.

I guess JJP is just very unlucky, as they seem to always be getting the bad power feed at all these different shows, while other games play fine.

#1547 7 months ago

Although my opinion is that the flippers at MGC on Wonka were very weak, I will say that the flippers on my WOZ at home are awesome. Same with other JJP games I have played in other locations.

They can be set anywhere from very weak, to way too strong.

But the best part is, they just feel great. I don't know how to explain it other than that. JJP flippers are my favorite.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fizz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside