824E045A-9C5F-4708-A0CC-8643870B96ED (resized).jpeg
F5FBD34F-2E04-40A0-8039-F9CCCDB65107 (resized).jpeg
A3D38C6A-CB2D-4959-BAB5-D9703DC40AEA (resized).png
66A36E31-E4F7-49A3-BF9A-CD50FDF55F01 (resized).jpeg
slingpost1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190625_160834 (resized).jpg
ccc06.gif
ccc07.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider amused_to_death.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#117 5 years ago

Wonka Bars (resized).jpgWonka Bars (resized).jpg

I'm in on a Scrumdiddlyumptious Collector's Edition.

How much you say? $12,500? Help... Police... Murder...

I can't wait to see it. The suspense is terrible! I hope it'll last.

#264 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Question ? Is the main song in the movie ? The candy man can ?

'The Candy Man' is sung by Bill, the owner of Bill's Candy Shop, during the opening sequence, when every kid in town gets free candy, except for poor Charlie.

The main song, if you're going to rank them, is probably 'Pure Imagination,' sung by Wonka, after everyone enters the Chocolate Room.

Before that, we get to hear 'Cheer Up, Charlie,' sung by Charlie's mother, and 'I've Got a Golden Ticket,' sung by Grandpa Joe and Charlie. The final song of note, towards the end of the film, is 'I Want it Now' sung by Veruka Salt.

There are also four songs sung by the Oompa Loompas after the demise of each of the naughty, nasty little children: 'Sweets,' 'Gum,' 'Brat,' and 'TV.'

#265 5 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

The younger crowd will relate better to a Depp version.

How young of a crowd are you talking? My daughter just turned 31. She loves the Gene Wilder version and thinks the Johnny Depp version is awful.

Maybe there are a few 21-year-olds out there who don't know Depp is channeling a creepy Michael Jackson. But how many 21-year-olds can afford a $10K pinball machine?

#354 5 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

So, am I IN on WONKA? YES, but that could change after the reveal...

I'm out if Wonka has a monkey!

#447 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

When did it all become about Wonka? In my day it was called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

The movie was never named "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." Long before it ever hit the silver screen, the title was changed to "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." There were two reasons for this: 1. The NAACP objected to Roald Dahl's book, the Oompa Loompas were originally black, so the movie was renamed to draw attention away from the book and; 2. Quaker Oaks paid $$$ to finance the film, wanting to produce a new line of candy bars, and eventually adopting "Wonka Bar" as the name, so the movie was retitled in support of the tie-in.

The funny thing is that the candy bars did not make it into production in time for the film. Many years passed before Wonka candies made it onto the market. And they really had nothing to do with the book, or the film, they were just using the 'Wonka" name. Quaker sold the candy subsidiary and it was eventually picked up by Nestle. The candies made today under the "Wonka" name still have nothing to do with the film. Trying to compare the on-screen Everlasting Gobstoppers to the jawbreakers that are sold by Nestle today is beyond stupid.

/AnotherOldGuyRant

#454 5 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

I think I am in for WWCF CE #12......

Curious. Is there some significance to the number 12?

#456 5 years ago

It would be poetic justice, wouldn't it, if Kaneda's machine ends up having a dozen problems right out of the box? Not that I'd wish that upon anyone, but he's been whining and complaining about Pirates, and all of its supposed problems, for weeks on end. LOL!

#565 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wonder if JJP goes full custom Oompa Loompa callouts for Wonka or seeked out a Gene Wilder sound-a-like for Wonka callouts? Maybe a combination of both. Seems like those are the only 2 characters that would work for pinball related callouts in the game.

Why would the Oompa Loompas or Wonka be the only characters who would work? The Oompa Loompas sang, as a group, but never spoke in the film, by the way, so no need to hire any spot-on impressionists. Jack could be his own Oompa Loompa!

#776 5 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Remember though...that was not actually Slugworth. In the movie that guy turns out to work for Willy Wonka and was testing the kids. Can't recall his real name in the film.

Mr. Wilkinson.

#795 5 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

I am hoping that they don’t eliminate the play field lcd.

My guess is that a playfield LCD and camera = Wonkavision.

#1053 5 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

...the Oompa loompa song haven't heard it yet in the game.

It’s used for the pop bumpers.

#1178 5 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

I'm ok with the red on CE but kinda wished they would have went gold

Gold would have been cool. I could see gold foil tickets on the cabinet sides, too.

#1337 5 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

I'd like to see what the LE looks like with the blue, and the CE with the red.

Not to mention the CE’s playfield, apron, and PinBlades — all different than the LE. During the reveal, it was stated they were waiting on approval from Warner Bros. I believe they said it was going to be a couple of weeks.

#1357 5 years ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

JJP should print it [Gobstopper] in Wonka’s right hand instead of the left hand.

I thought the same thing when I looked at The Munsters and noticed that Herman was wagging the wrong finger all over the place. The artists/designers need to pay more attention to things like right/left-handedness.

#1361 5 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

No, but Warner Bros does. And you can bet your ass they're paying royalties to use the likeness.

D4B01814-512A-455C-9134-C662A72FCE80 (resized).jpegD4B01814-512A-455C-9134-C662A72FCE80 (resized).jpeg

You can buy a life-size cardboard standee of Gene Wilder as Wonka for $40 to put next to the $7,500 game that couldn’t afford to include it.

#1366 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

This. There is a cost for licensing/royalties when you're doing a licensed pinball theme, and yes it can get granular such as $X per image of Gene on each machine.

Of course there are licensing fees. What did it cost to license the $40 Wonka standee? Or the $24 Wonka Candy Land board game? But you’re missing the joke here. The joke is that those who are complaining about Gene’s missing head on the sides of their $7,500 pinball machines can put a $40 standee next to them. Problem solved.

#1370 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

"Wrong finger"? "Wrong Gobstopper hand"?
WTF is wrong with people...

You're gonna just love the typography discussion over in the "reveal" thread!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-wonka-reveal-details/page/25#post-4947815

#1372 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's pretty apparent that David Thiel isn't working on JJP games anymore.
And that's NOT a good thing

I like a lot of the sound effects, they're very reminiscent of the Inventing Room, although it would be cool if they'd get that springy Gobstopper machine sound in there...

The music, so far, is definitely lacking...

And they could easily use dozens of additional audio clips from the film. Way too many memorable lines are currently MIA.

#1381 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's all absolutely accurate and relevant. It's a discussion of design. That's not the same as getting hung up over what hand someone can use to do something.

I'd say both are accurate. There are people who are going to notice missing logo pieces because an artist was lazy or careless and there are people who are going to notice that Lily Munster, after fifty years, has suddenly started carrying a candle in the wrong hand because the artist decided she looked better that way or was lazy or careless.

As to how relevant either discussion happens to be, the vast majority of people aren't going to notice or care about these sorts of things, so there's that...

I'm sure you've heard of or seen lists of "gaffs" in movies. Things that go missing from scene to scene, hairstyles that change from one minute to the next, etc., etc. Some notice; most don't. Some care; most don't. Some care enough that they maintain the lists!

#1383 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Are you kidding me....are you seriously insinuating that a person can’t use either hand to carry an object?!?! Specific hand candle holding isn’t a fucking character defining trait of Lily Munster FFS!! Just stop, seriously....

When you open the door to your home, or to your car, do you use your right hand or your left? What hand do you use to drink a cup of coffee or a soda? Your right? Suddenly, one morning, you're just going to decide to use your left hand instead? A few ambidextrous persons aside, it's just not what people do. What hand does Gene Wilder use to walk with the cane when he's greeting the Lucky Ticket Winners at the factory? His right? If I decide to paint him, instead, with the cane in his left hand, no one is going to notice?

3 weeks later
#1657 4 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Ditto. Get it right beats getting it first.

I’m still in on a CE and I agree. At this point, we’ve yet to see anything resembling finished code, nor have we even seen the artwork, wireforms, etc., for the CE. I’d rather we get a peek at some of these things before a $12,500 box full of I Wish I Could Change My Mind arrives at my door. This is where I do agree with Kaneda, though. Why give the persons whom you’re going to make the most profit from several extra months to contemplate the meaning of life, the universe, and everything, and to potentially drop out? You’ve got to catch your Babel fish while the catching is still good! So, CEs last? Great for us, yes, but a dumb move on JJP’s part.

1 month later
#2178 4 years ago
Quoted from simplykind:

What is the last version of code we've seen either streamed or at a show?

It looks like 1.0 hit on June 5, so perhaps the latest we’ve seen online is 0.4?

Looking forward to SEEING and HEARING 1.07.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 91.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider amused_to_death.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtgt-wonka-is-coming-whos-in?tu=amused_to_death and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.