824E045A-9C5F-4708-A0CC-8643870B96ED (resized).jpeg
F5FBD34F-2E04-40A0-8039-F9CCCDB65107 (resized).jpeg
A3D38C6A-CB2D-4959-BAB5-D9703DC40AEA (resized).png
66A36E31-E4F7-49A3-BF9A-CD50FDF55F01 (resized).jpeg
slingpost1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190625_160834 (resized).jpg
ccc06.gif
ccc07.gif
There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 46.
#2101 4 years ago

I typically do not really have strong opinions on sound packages, but this one is the proverbial "fingernails on a chalk board" to me every time I hear it play. I just can't. All I can think about when I hear those slot machine noises are old blue haired ladies chain smoking Misty 100's while pumping their social security checks into a 1 arm bandit. Lucky troll dolls are optional.

#2102 4 years ago

As they say, art is in the eye of the beholder and maybe WONKA's music fits that idiom. It played great at the PNWPB but I can't say if the sound, etc. is good or bad until I get mine and hear it in a better situation. But for me, the game is more than just sound and movie clips. Yeah, I hope they are good but I am confident the game will not disappoint me. When I play the game I am not engrossed in watching a movie which I can do on the TV just fine.The same type of negative comments about sound, music, and animation were raining down on the OKTOBERFEST string and I liked the play of the game so much that I went ahead and bought one and guess what...it is great including the things that people were ripping on it for. I am so glad I got it and I am staying strong on WONKA. JJP games are built great, and their coding is continually updated by JJP and, they are fun to play, beautiful to look at and 'family friendly'. So, I don't think WONKA is a risky purchase. But, to each his own.

#2103 4 years ago

please give it a rest with the constant personal name calling shit. Are you 6?

#2104 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I typically do not really have strong opinions on sound packages, but this one is the proverbial "fingernails on a chalk board" to me every time I hear it play. I just can't. All I can think about when I hear those slot machine noises are old blue haired ladies chain smoking Misty 100's while pumping their social security checks into a 1 arm bandit. Lucky troll dolls are optional.

I agree that they really need to figure out the sound pacjkage. By far the worst con of the game.

JJP seems to really like that high end piercing crap. Hurts to play.

#2105 4 years ago

=

Quoted from Whysnow:

please give it a rest with the constant personal name calling shit. Are you 6?

Don't speak about me and you'll be better off. Understand that then move on. Best advice I can give you as I could absolutely care less about you or your opinion but your big mouth gets you in trouble.

Reread what I said, understand and then act accordingly. That's the answer.

#2106 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

=

Don't speak about me and you'll be better off. Understand that then move on. Best advice I can give you as I could absolutely care less about you or your opinion but your big mouth gets you in trouble.
Reread what I said, understand and then act accordingly. That's the answer.

Cool community.

#2107 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I can’t help but wonder on who decides some these bad choices.Anyway let’s hope for the best the game looks fun to shoot

Agree.
Im glad JJP lowered SE prices to drive location play so more opportunities to try before buy.

#2108 4 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

First finished standard came off line today. Game is alot easier to assemble. JJP will be cranking these machines out.

That’s because it has so much less to assemble vs DI or POTC.

#2109 4 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

That’s because it has so much less to assemble vs DI or POTC.

Its has a good amount of stuffScreenshot_20190412-234501_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190412-234501_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg...

#2110 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Its has a good amount of stuff[quoted image]...

They must have a new design for the magnets ... I can't pick out where the 7 magnets are in that pic. I know there are "non-dynamic" ones above each of the upper flippers, that leaves 5 more.

#2111 4 years ago

Magnets here?

wwmechs (resized).jpgwwmechs (resized).jpg
#2112 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

They must have a new design for the magnets ... I can't pick out where the 7 magnets are in that pic. I know there are "non-dynamic" ones above each of the upper flippers, that leaves 5 more.

If you’re looking at the topside of the playfield, (I’m fairly certain) the other 5 magnets are are located in the center of each cluster of the ringed mini-lights. I marked all 7 locations on the underside of your picture.

64658306-BFB3-43B0-9882-46E7BA75BFF5 (resized).jpeg64658306-BFB3-43B0-9882-46E7BA75BFF5 (resized).jpegE874EF8C-FDD7-48E1-AE2F-DAA7D37D5832 (resized).jpegE874EF8C-FDD7-48E1-AE2F-DAA7D37D5832 (resized).jpeg
#2113 4 years ago

folks in the Pitts area (or close by) - Helicon brewery getting this game next week! FYI

#2114 4 years ago

After it’s stopped being made Wonka will get the love it deserves.

Now I have to head back to the unobtaneum Pirates threads and long for one.

#2115 4 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

If you’re looking at the topside of the playfield, (I’m fairly certain) the other 5 magnets are are located in the center of each cluster of the ringed mini-lights. I marked all 7 locations on the underside of your picture.[quoted image][quoted image]

I believe the top ones you have circled are the slingshot coils

7B6DE0D2-8F7E-4241-8DBD-89C84D5FEBAC (resized).jpeg7B6DE0D2-8F7E-4241-8DBD-89C84D5FEBAC (resized).jpeg
#2116 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Its has a good amount of stuff[quoted image]...

Yeah so there’s some stuff on the bottom, doesn’t compare on the top side!

#2117 4 years ago

I haven't seen a good video that really shows the magnet play yet. Is it just really subtle? The idea of multiple mini-magnets seems like a cool one, but I'm not sure how much they really affect things.

#2118 4 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

Yeah so there’s some stuff on the bottom, doesn’t compare on the top side!

Yeah JJP's playfields make Sterns look super loaded,I see what your saying there's nothing there!

#2119 4 years ago

You either love Wonka or the music will drive you insane. It's supposed to be bubble gummy and it sure is, but holy cow it would drive me mad. Congrats to those in line. Looks like a really good shooter and as previously mentioned very cool they dropped the price compared to previous models.

#2120 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Yeah JJP's playfields make Sterns look super loaded,I see what your saying there's nothing there!

LMAO!

#2121 4 years ago

Can’t wait to see some more streams and lord I hope they find a replacement for the voice actor in the game so bad, sounds like he’s falling asleep.

#2122 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

folks in the Pitts area (or close by) - Helicon brewery getting this game next week! FYI

Cool place. Thanks for the heads up!

#2123 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Can’t wait to see some more streams and lord I hope they find a replacement for the voice actor in the game so bad, sounds like he’s falling asleep.

The voice over artist needs to get fixed.
So many actors and artists surprisingly work on the cheap. This also can be done pretty easy. Just need a script.
Im out here in Hollywood Jack. Ring me up and lets get this done!

#2124 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The voice over artist needs to get fixed.
So many actors and artists surprisingly work on the cheap. This also can be done pretty easy. Just need a script.
Im out here in Hollywood Jack. Ring me up and lets get this done!

If it was Stern code I would just change the voice tone and replace but can't do that on jjp. It's amazing that anyone in that company listened to that and said wow - great job.

#2125 4 years ago

Can’t wait to see the cartwheel and delivery pics. I thought that all the code we’ve seen was .4 so far - is that true?

#2126 4 years ago

June is almost over and no cartwheel from Jack for the barcades and operators.

#2127 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

June is almost over and no cartwheel from Jack

I'm hoping for the dual Jack/Pat one.

It has to be getting close.

LTG : )
Disclaimer : Jack busting a bottle of champagne on the front bumper of the first truck leaving with Willy Wonka pins would be nice. The driver chasing jack around the truck-trailer could substitute for the cartwheel.

#2128 4 years ago

QUESTION: Is all the talk about how good JJP Pirates is, taken the thunder out of Wonka?

#2129 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

QUESTION: Is all the talk about how good JJP Pirates is, taken the thunder out of Wonka?

Sorta kinda did alittle bit.It’s
funny that before they announced they were stopping production all the talk was negative this negative that.And then it was ,man I want one 11500 before Christmas

#2130 4 years ago

I'm biased, David Thiel is both a friend and someone who I've had the pleasure of working with (what a master of his craft, true professional and also deeply passionate about what he does). And I'm sure he's glad he dodged the Wonka bullet. But man, JJP has gotta figure out what to do without him, because bad sound just murders a game, and good sound makes a game that's only okay seem pretty great. Try playing Tron with the sound off.

I dunno, I honestly think passion is more important than theme in some ways. If your team is passionate you make it work. Like JJP is kinda clearly run by engineers now, but look how that worked out for Pirates. A 'recycled' theme, but with a lot of really interesting tech put into it. And JP is another master of his craft, even with the license restrictions Pirates had he killed it, the LCD looks top notch. No actors? Oh well, still great.

Wonka just feels like no one really cared. That might sound harsh, but really, look at it. The art is the slot machine off-the-shelf package. JP's LCD work doesn't come close to what he's already shown he's capable of. The sound is bad. Sorry, but it is. And the layout might shoot well, but there are no toys or inventive things that bring the whimsy of the film to life. I just don't get the sense anyone at the company actually cared one whit about the license.

#2131 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm biased, David Thiel is both a friend and someone who I've had the pleasure of working with (what a master of his craft, true professional and also deeply passionate about what he does). And I'm sure he's glad he dodged the Wonka bullet. But man, JJP has gotta figure out what to do without him, because bad sound just murders a game, and good sound makes a game that's only okay seem pretty great. Try playing Tron with the sound off.
I dunno, I honestly think passion is more important than theme in some ways. If your team is passionate you make it work. Like JJP is kinda clearly run by engineers now, but look how that worked out for Pirates. A 'recycled' theme, but with a lot of really interesting tech put into it. And JP is another master of his craft, even with the license restrictions Pirates had he killed it, the LCD looks top notch. No actors? Oh well, still great.
Wonka just feels like no one really cared. That might sound harsh, but really, look at it. The art is the slot machine off-the-shelf package. JP's LCD work doesn't come close to what he's already shown he's capable of. The sound is bad. Sorry, but it is. And the layout might shoot well, but there are no toys or inventive things that bring the whimsy of the film to life. I just don't get the sense anyone at the company actually cared one whit about the license.

I just wonder how much of what we've seen was designed with large scale accessibility in mind.

Thiel being gone is colossal, as Pirates audio design is maybe it's strongest feature.

Hopefully we'll see if things shift from what you and others echo and fear here. I sure hope they do, but at this point, I can't argue much against these points....

#2132 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think the days of JJP loading their games with great innovative toys, and sound packages is over....they finally realized they need to make money.

#2133 4 years ago

Someone post pics soon.

#2134 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I just wonder how much of what we've seen was designed with large scale accessibility in mind.

I get that thought, but who's mass buying at these prices if it's stripped down? If they want to compete with Stern they need to compete with the Pro price too.

Quoted from PtownPin:

I think the days of JJP loading their games with great innovative toys, and sound packages is over....they finally realized they need to make money.

Okay, but same point as above. Who's paying the kind of money they ask for if it doesn't come with the full mechanical experience? I'm not gonna pretend I'd pay $12k for a game even if it was a Rube Goldberg machine under the glass, but there are people who will. I get the Premium Game For Premium Price argument.

But "good enough" game for more money? Once you pass the die hards and super theme lovers who's in?

#2135 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The sound is bad. Sorry, but it is.

I accept that you are just expressing your personal opinion. Granted, I haven‘t played the game, but my impression is the sound is a bit of an overdose of sappy, but this is the style of the music in the film. Maybe they could mix it up a bit more. In general pinball music is always repetitive and one tends not to notice it directly when playing, but it certainly affects the overall feeling. Do we know if the music in Wonka was created new or is it from the movie score?

Quoted from wesman:

Thiel being gone is colossal, as Pirates audio design is maybe it's strongest feature.

If I recall correctly there was a lot of criticism of JJPPotC because original movie music wasn‘t used. Maybe opinions have changed now. Me personally, I don‘t want music in my games which I can get elsewhere. I definitely like David Thiel‘s work.

#2136 4 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

After it’s stopped being made Wonka will get the love it deserves.

Extremely doubtful. jjPotC has a godly soundtrack that Wonka isn't fit to sniff the balls of in its current incarnation, and I don't see Wonka's sound package getting much better. jjPotC has a great all-around sound package while Wonka, well, Wonka doesn't. Not even close. The whole package is a failure of imagination on a game ABOUT imagination.

Quoted from Vdrums:

Now I have to head back to the unobtaneum Pirates threads and long for one.

Don't fret. I feel pretty confident JJP will be re-running jjPotC LEs after GnR is out (or earlier if they cut Wonka short). Price may change a bit, but it's worth it. The game is just that good. Still earning double the next closest game (Deadpool Prem) on the route I help with, and some people traveling three hours round trip to play it since it's so rare in the field.

#2137 4 years ago

Shipping notice received...

#2138 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I accept that you are just expressing your personal opinion.

Sure, everything is subjective, someone likes the sound package I'm sure. But it's not like I'm alone in the woods on this one, just looking back over the last page or two of comments you see this:

Quoted from delt31:

The game has a great theme and from what I've seen, they're completely drowning it alive with horrendous sound, lack of speech with the clips and the absolute worst announcer that any pinball game has ever had period.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I agree that they really need to figure out the sound pacjkage. By far the worst con of the game.

A fun game with an uninspiring art package is still a fun game. But if your sound is bad that's imo a big deal, because you hear it every time you play. If it's grating or irritating that's gonna kill your interest in playing.

#2139 4 years ago

Picking mine up this week!

#2140 4 years ago

I think art package is fine and I hope JJP got the sound message and has made changes.Im hoping this is a great pin!

#2141 4 years ago

Most folks, if they are honest with themselves, should be able to admit, the audio on Wonka, with what we've seen and heard, is pretty mediocre to downright bad. Slot machine sound effects, a terrible main narrator voice....there are problems.

#2142 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sure, everything is subjective, someone likes the sound package I'm sure. But it's not like I'm alone in the woods on this one, just looking back over the last page or two of comments you see this:

A fun game with an uninspiring art package is still a fun game. But if your sound is bad that's imo a big deal, because you hear it every time you play. If it's grating or irritating that's gonna kill your interest in playing.

I played Wonka in a completely quiet bar for about 30 minutes a few weeks ago (the pre-production LE that was floating around on the West Coast). Could hear the sound perfectly. Thought it was great. Definitely didn't stand out as bad or any worse than any other pins I've ever played. I actually remember enjoying it and thinking that the music didn't get annoying. The announcer fit in well with the game.

#2143 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Shipping notice received...

Which is about 3 days from NJ to you. What a great week !

#2144 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Which is about 3 days from NJ to you. What a great week !

fingers crossed!!!

So excited to be able to share this game on route for all the local players.

With any luck, shipping will be smooth and we will have it set up before the weekend!

We were very lucky to be one of the few coming in the first batch to the region! Big thanks to Chris and KingPin for being great with all things JJP.
He is a top notch distributor and we have bought all our JJP games through him because of it.

On top of it all, his customer service have been beyond good!

#2145 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

We were very lucky to be one of the few coming in the first batch to the region! Big thanks to Chris and KingPin for being great with all things JJP.

Chris is tops, that is for sure.

If these things are starting to go out, I hope I get the one for tech support ASAP, before any calls.

#2146 4 years ago

Impatiently waiting for Chris to fill his route operators first, so I can get my SE.......

#2148 4 years ago

I just got my confirmation mine is shipping tomorrow might get it by next monday.. yup yup ..

#2149 4 years ago

So happy for Jack and the JJP team. Congrats on hitting your promise date!!

#2150 4 years ago

Bravo, JJP!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 91.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtgt-wonka-is-coming-whos-in/page/43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.