824E045A-9C5F-4708-A0CC-8643870B96ED (resized).jpeg
F5FBD34F-2E04-40A0-8039-F9CCCDB65107 (resized).jpeg
A3D38C6A-CB2D-4959-BAB5-D9703DC40AEA (resized).png
66A36E31-E4F7-49A3-BF9A-CD50FDF55F01 (resized).jpeg
slingpost1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190625_160834 (resized).jpg
ccc06.gif
ccc07.gif
There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 46.
#1701 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Lol, always using this old worn out name calling to put down people trying to figure out from a forum what is good or isn’t. Is it really necessary?

Naa... I just call it like I see it - your pontificating and trolling the last week, but you also saw value in WOZ 5 years ago... whatever.

#1702 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Maybe go and play a JJP machine, especially the more recent releases like DI, JJPOTC and WONKA. The answer to this and many of the other questions you have been asking will be answered immediately when you do.

Have a friend that has Munsters sitting right next to a POTC. Played them both and see zero differences in build quality.

This is why I’m asking what are the differences, in case I missed something? Please list build quality differences for a comparison of those two tables, Stern and JJP. Have yet to have any solid proof from anyone here?

#1703 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Naa... I just call it like I see it - your pontificating and trolling the last week, but you also saw value in WOZ 5 years ago... whatever.

Do you feel good bashing and name calling others legitimate questions?

Yes, WOZ, when it sold for $6.5k, was a good value for a family’s hard earned money. See the value in that one and the very reason it has outsold all other JJP tables combined by far, as I’m learning here from others posts.

#1704 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Have a friend that has Munsters sitting right next to a POTC. Played them both and see zero differences in build quality.
This is why I’m asking what are the differences, in case I missed something? Please list build quality differences for a comparison of those two tables, Stern and JJP. Have yet to have any solid proof from anyone here?

Cabinet wood is one of the most obvious. Leg bolt areas reinforced. You don’t see a massive difference in what’s on the playfield? Mechs, toys, etc? If you don’t see differences, you aren’t looking hard enough.

#1705 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Cabinet wood is one of the most obvious. Leg bolt areas reinforced. You don’t see a massive difference in what’s on the playfield? Mechs, toys, etc?

Thanks for pointing one thing out. My friend and I compared Munsters wood cabinet and POTC. They are both equally solid and made from nice wood. Looking at older Sterns, I can’t say the same for the cabinet, but Munsters is equal to JJP.

We also noticed the Stern locking mechanism is far superior, as well as Sterns Apron design is better in that it doesn’t require ugly metal fence to keep the ball from slamming into the glass above the apron. Sterns actually follows the contour of the glass incline by special design (this observation doesn’t make me a Stern fanboy).

Mechanical items are not the same. Munsters has had no issues for him, where his POTC has had numerous. I’m giving actual reasons that I’ve discovered. Now will those that wish to point out from these two tables, please tell me quality differences? Unlike many, I’m open minded and want to know. After all these things are big purchases.

#1706 4 years ago

They are not the same wood. You also ignored my comment about the corners. The way the cabinets are made is a huge difference. There’s a reason this thread exists for stern and not JJP:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reinforcing-stern-cabinet-legs-step-by-step

And these differences continue throughout. You wanted specifics, I gave you a couple examples. If you still don’t understand there are differences then no point in continuing to name more.

Quoted from jimwe5t:

Thanks for pointing something out. My friend and I compared Munsters wood cabinet and POTC. They are both equally solid and made from nice wood. Looking at older Sterns, I can’t say the same for the cabinet, but Munsters is equal to JJP. We also noticed the Stern locking mechanism is far superior, as well as Sterns Apron design is better in that it doesn’t require ugly metal fence to keep the ball from slamming into the glass above the apron. Sterns actually follows the contour of the glass incline by special design.
Mechanical items are not the same. Munsters has had no issues for him, where his POTC has had numerous. I’m giving actual reasons that I’ve discovered. Now will those that wish to point out from these two tables, please tell me quality differences?

#1707 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Cabinet wood is one of the most obvious. Leg bolt areas reinforced. You don’t see a massive difference in what’s on the playfield? Mechs, toys, etc?

Might be an interesting comparison using Munsters and POTC (different thread?). Munsters has plywood bottom, cabinet wood definitely harder than prior Sterns, and leg bracing is at least the equal (w extra cabinet bracing)..built like a tank. It has (arguably) the most inclusive and innovative "toy/mech" of any machine...legit, multiball, mini lower pf, a bash toy that appears from under a ramp, another w magnet hold in front, and way crazy light show, interactive to gameplay. Like it or not..a serious, innovative add. Mono targets and basic coding have been attacked endlessly. We know POTC strengths and weaknesses (this is sort of a JJP thread).

Which machine is built better for what it does? My Munsters has hundreds of plays, and short of one lower pf ball stick (nudged it free, and they've already modified wireform down there to correct..yes, a wireform on lower pf) have had zero problems...not one.

POTC? hmm......back on topic...I'm still in on WonkaCE and love my WOZ. Would just be nice to know when they actually show in a completed state and delivery schedule. Release to ship dates simply cannot be debated, after years. A clear winner exists here. PLEASE BRING ON WONKA...ALL VERSIONS W ACTUAL RELEASE DATES SO I CAN MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION. (sorry for all the caps).

#1708 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Thanks for pointing one thing out. My friend and I compared Munsters wood cabinet and POTC. They are both equally solid and made from nice wood. Looking at older Sterns, I can’t say the same for the cabinet, but Munsters is equal to JJP.
We also noticed the Stern locking mechanism is far superior, as well as Sterns Apron design is better in that it doesn’t require ugly metal fence to keep the ball from slamming into the glass above the apron. Sterns actually follows the contour of the glass incline by special design (this observation doesn’t make me a Stern fanboy).
Mechanical items are not the same. Munsters has had no issues for him, where his POTC has had numerous. I’m giving actual reasons that I’ve discovered. Now will those that wish to point out from these two tables, please tell me quality differences? Unlike many, I’m open minded and want to know. After all these things are big purchases.

This....

#1709 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Last time I checked, the title of this thread was "Wonka Is Coming !!! Who's In?"

Not name calling or bashing, but it's easy to start your own thread comparing Stern and JJP build quality and I'm sure many will chime in with the specifics you are asking for. Good luck!

Cheers.

#1710 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

They are not the same wood. You also ignored my comment about the corners. The way the cabinets are made is a huge difference. There’s a reason this thread exists for stern and not JJP:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reinforcing-stern-cabinet-legs-step-by-step
And these differences continue throughout. You wanted specifics, I gave you a couple examples. If you still don’t understand there are differences then no point in continuing to name more.

Old thread....Munsters suffers from none of this..pop the top on one. I was pleasantly surprised.

#1711 4 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Last time I checked, the title of this thread was "Wonka Is Coming !!! Who's In?"
Not name calling or bashing, but it's easy to start your own thread comparing Stern and JJP build quality and I'm sure many will chime in with the specifics you are asking for. Good luck!
Cheers.

Thank you...back on topic in this one....where's Wonka??? (and I AM in on a CE..anxious to play one)

#1712 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Old thread....Munsters suffers from none of this..pop the top on one. I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks I’ll have to look. Would be nice if stern stopped cheaping out on every little thing.

#1713 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Thank you...back on topic in this one....where's Wonka???

I'm stoked to play one next weekend at GSPF. Will be sure to post lots of pics/opinion/etc/yaddayadda

#1714 4 years ago

I'm stoked to play one next weekend at GSPF. Will be sure to post lots of pics/opinion/etc/yaddayadda

A CE?....super jealous...please give us all the scoop....great news!!

#1715 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Thanks I’ll have to look. Would be nice if stern stopped cheaping out on every little thing.

JJP does it too (go look at the threads)...last post from me on this topic in this thread...

#1716 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

A CE?....super jealous...please give us all the scoop....great news!!

In the GSPF (and CA for sale) thread I believe it is an LE

#1717 4 years ago

In the GSPF (and CA for sale) thread I believe it is an LE

No matter...all news is good news..

Gonna have to see a real CE (glitter and all) before I drop that kind of $$$ on one, however....surely soon...

#1718 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

You gave one example that all had to do with the cabinet. I think MK6PIN answered that nicely thanks! Thanks for also answering MK6PIN about how top notch Stern mechs are in Munsters!!

Quoted from MK6PIN:

Might be an interesting comparison using Munsters and POTC (different thread?). Munsters has plywood bottom, cabinet wood definitely harder than prior Sterns, and leg bracing is at least the equal (w extra cabinet bracing)..built like a tank. It has (arguably) the most inclusive and innovative "toy/mech" of any machine...legit, multiball, mini lower pf, a bash toy that appears from under a ramp, another w magnet hold in front, and way crazy light show, interactive to gameplay. Like it or not..a serious, innovative add. Mono targets and basic coding have been attacked endlessly. We know POTC strengths and weaknesses (this is sort of a JJP thread).
Which machine is built better for what it does? My Munsters has hundreds of plays, and short of one lower pf ball stick (nudged it free, and they've already modified wireform down there to correct..yes, a wireform on lower pf) have had zero problems...not one.
POTC? hmm......back on topic...I'm still in on WonkaCE and love my WOZ. Would just be nice to know when they actually show in a completed state and delivery schedule. Release to ship dates simply cannot be debated, after years. A clear winner exists here. PLEASE BRING ON WONKA...ALL VERSIONS W ACTUAL RELEASE DATES SO I CAN MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION. (sorry for all the caps).

Now I’m disappointed, that you (f3honda4me) nor anyone else can give me actual proof that I can take to say to my wife and tell her, here is why we should spend $2k to $7k more than say Munsters (depending on model). Looking at WW, some say it’s been “cheaped out” on mechs etc. so I can’t tell her that’s the reason. Build quality is equal, at least since Munsters, so that’s not a reason. So what’s the real reason for such a wide chasm price wise between the two companies products???

#1719 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Have a look at Munsters LE (and I’m assuming Premium). Not only is the game packed and weighs a ton, but the complete cabinet (except backbox) is Ply, including the base, and the insides are now laminated. All legs are reinforced using standard Bally/Wms style leg brackets. Pretty hard to differentiate this game from a JJP.

#1720 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Now I’m disappointed, that you (f3honda4me) nor anyone else can give me actual proof that I can take to say to my wife and tell her, here is why we should spend $2k to $7k more than say Munsters (depending on model). Looking at WW, some say it’s been “cheaped out” on mechs etc. so I can’t tell her that’s the reason. Build quality is equal, at least since Munsters, so that’s not a reason. So what’s the real reason for such a wide chasm price wise between the two companies products???

Dude, just go get a Munsters Pro if that's what you want, there's some super cheap ones on the marketplace right now.

#1721 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Dude, just go get a Munsters Pro if that's what you want, there's some super cheap ones on the marketplace right now.

You're right I could, but this thread is about looking into purchasing a Willy Wonka.

#1722 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

You're right I could, but this thread is about looking into purchasing a Willy Wonka.

I rest my case.

#1723 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I rest my case.

Don’t rest, please give me why such a large price difference so I can justify a WW purchase. Can you list why quality is better?

#1724 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Don’t rest, please give me why such a large price difference so I can justify a WW purchase. Can you list why quality is better?

Dude, are some sort of Stern shill? This has been discussed to death on pinside. Use the damn search. Here are some reasons Sterns are cheaper and lack quality as you appear to be lazy and/or incompetent:

- No knocker
- Cheap power sources with loud, crap Chinese fans
- crap power switch location
- board system that cannot be repaired. Wait till they start failing, and they WILL.
- mechs made of cheap pot-metal (imdn etc.)
- historical cabinet issues (crap wood)
- cheap leg brackets that leads to splitting
- graphite plumb Bobs
- crap coin mechs
- smaller lcd with larger translites lit by a tiny led strip
- cheap speakers and amp
- etc etc etc. (Use the search feature)

Are they improving? Only because of market pressure. I own Sterns and enjoy their machines, but it does not blind me to their penny pinching business model.

JJP machines have issues, but they are often due to challenges related to innovation, not sucking every dime out of production.

Can't wait for Wonka

#1725 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Dude, are done sort of Stern shill? This has been discussed to death on pinside. Use the damn search. Here are some reasons Sterns are cheaper and lack quality as you appear to be lazy and/or incompetent:
- No knocker
- Cheap power sources with loud, crap Chinese fans
- crap power switch location
- board system that cannot be repaired. Wait till they start failing, and they WILL.
- mechs made of cheap pot-metal (imdn etc.)
- historical cabinet issues (crap wood)
- cheap leg brackets that leads to splitting
- graphite plumb Bobs
- crap coin mechs
- smaller lcd with larger translites lit by a tiny led strip
- cheap speakers and amp
- etc etc etc. (Use the search feature)
Are they improving? Only because of market pressure. I own Sterns and enjoy their machines, but it does not blind me to their penny pinching business model.
JJP machines have issues, but they are often due to challenges related to innovation, not sucking every dime out of production.
Can't wait for Wonka

Thanks for a crude and not to the point list, that has little solid evidence and is your opinion mainly.

Is your premise so weak that name calling and put downs are your only answers?

Your points with comments:

- No knocker - (when I play Stern games I hear a knocker)
- Cheap power sources with loud, crap Chinese fans (no power source issues, but WW has power source issues to many reports of weakened flippers - do admit fan is too loud - good point)
- crap power switch location (power source location many times better, since little children can’t reach it turning on and off like under table mounts)
- board system that cannot be repaired. Wait till they start failing, and they WILL. (My friend has 20 tables with no failures)
- mechs made of cheap pot-metal (imdn etc.) (heard imdn did have some issues, but so has POTC, DI, WOZ (they stopped including the monkey for that very issue)
- historical cabinet issues (crap wood) (you’ve had several comments above to the contrary on Munsters)
- cheap leg brackets that leads to splitting (you’ve had several comments above to the contrary on Munsters)
- graphite plumb Bobs (how is JJPs different?)
- crap coin mechs (how is JJPs different and in HUO, this is a moot point)
- smaller lcd with larger translites lit by a tiny led strip (within a couple minutes everyone’s eyes focus on the content and not screen size. That’s why it’s indiscernible between say for example watching a 55” versus 65” proven in study after study)
- cheap speakers and amp (This is the first actual difference, except from Munsters onward)
- etc etc etc. (Use the search feature) (This is a non-point)

Your unkind ways of trying to help me is pushing me towards not buying WW. Are you an example of the typical JJP owner? Your mouth has such negative comments coming out of it. Please consider how to speak with people about your point of view without calling them a shill, lazy and incompetent. Not cool. Grow up...

#1726 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Thanks for a crude and not to the point list, that has no solid evidence and is your opinion mainly.
- No knocker - (when I play Sterns games I hear a knocker)
- Cheap power sources with loud, crap Chinese fans (no power source issues, but WW has power source issues to many reports of weakened flippers - do admit fan is too loud - good point)
- crap power switch location (power source location many times better, since little children can’t reach it turning on and off like under table mounts)
- board system that cannot be repaired. Wait till they start failing, and they WILL. (My friend has 20 tables with no failures)
- mechs made of cheap pot-metal (imdn etc.) (heard imdn did have some issues, but so has POTC, DI, WOZ (they stopped including the monkey for that very issue)
- historical cabinet issues (crap wood) (you’ve had several comments above to the contrary on Munsters)
- cheap leg brackets that leads to splitting (you’ve had several comments above to the contrary on Munsters)
- crap coin mechs (how is JJPs different and in HUO, this is a mute point)
- smaller lcd with larger translites lit by a tiny led strip (within a couple minutes everyone’s eyes focus on the content and not screen size. That’s why it’s indiscernible between say for example watching a 55” versus 65” proven in study after study)
- cheap speakers and amp (This is the first actual difference, except from Munsters onward)
Your unkind ways of trying to help me is pushing me towards not buying WW. Are you an example of the typical JJP owner? Your mouth has such negative superlatives coming out of it. Please consider how to speak with people about your point of view with out calling them a shill, lazy and incompetent. Not cool. Grow up!

Clearly you have a preconceived answer for every Stern criticism, so why bother asking? You sound like a shill, and your previous post supports my suspicion. I call a spade a spade. Your previous responses to experienced collectors were baiting and insulting. You seem to know quite a bit about the companies and their games, easily enough to form your own informed opinion. If not, you have a friend with over 20 games to talk to. Your feigned ignorance is wasting people's time. I hope you don't buy a Wonka - I truly do - as you sound like a horrible customer to deal with. Save JJP the effort and stick to your beloved Stern. Munsters sounds right up your alley with it's wonderful quality and features.

Bring on Wonka!

#1727 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Clearly you have a preconceived answer for every Stern criticism, so why bother asking? You sound like a shill, and your previous post supports my suspicion. I call a spade a spade. Your previous responses to experienced collectors were baiting and insulting. You seem to know quite a bit about the companies and their games, easily enough to form your own informed opinion. If not, you have a friend with over 20 games to talk to. Your feigned ignorance is wasting people's time. I hope you don't buy a Wonka - I truly do - as you sound like a horrible customer to deal with. Save JJP the effort and stick to your beloved Stern. Munsters sounds right up your alley with it's wonderful quality and features.
Bring on Wonka!

Your continued insults prove my point. Are you just plain unable to deal with people with opposing viewpoints, with integrity and some modicum of decorum? You sir should seriously consider reading the great book, “How to win friends and influence people”. Good manners don’t seem to be your strong suit? Ill mannered people always resort to: name calling, put downs and “get out of this thread” when they lack skill in getting their points across. Very sad indeed...

Again I reiterate, I’m not a fanboy of either company. Trying to learn from those that have actually played WW, that’s it, since I’ve not been able to play WW yet.

#1728 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Now I’m disappointed, that you (f3honda4me) nor anyone else can give me actual proof that I can take to say to my wife and tell her, here is why we should spend $2k to $7k more than say Munsters (depending on model).

Ok, I will bite as I am overly irritated by this. As has been pointed out, if you do not notice the difference in quality between JJP and Stern when they are next to eachother then I will not be able to convince you otherwise.

That said: I have both Munsters LE and JJP POTC standing next to eachother. Munsters is one of the better built Stern of the last years, so in that area it really shines for a Stern. But take BM66 for example and the differences are huge. Lift the playfield of both and have a look under it. The service rails of JJP are so different from Stern. The lockbar mechanism is a point of discussion as I personally like the Stern clips better than the old sliding mechanism that JJP uses.

Now look at the screen. JJP is combining HD video with professional animations all over the place, Stern uses mostly videoclips and the animations on top of that are only scoring and info about the ball count.

Whatever anyone says, the playfields of Stern are softer. My Munsters has got a lot less plays than the POTC and the POTC still looks like new. Munsters dimples way more. I also have a Beatles Gold here with 250 plays and the playfield looks like an orange. But the Sterns do play well and the clear does not chip.

Furthermore, the JJP games consistently make use of full RGB leds throughout the plaffield. For me this enhances my experience playing the game very much. It also provides unique ways to present the game and to do effects on the playfield (like the "fire" in Hobbit. Stern playfields mostly flash a lot. The programming of all the effects with RGB is a lot more labour intensive than just turning a led on or off when needed.

The sound: the speakers that are being used at Stern are crap. Munster LE uses the Kenwoods, but even those are crap for a device which main function is entertainment. I always change out the speakers from my Sterns, never did so with any of the JJP's.

The games itself: JJP games are coded like no other (except for the Sterns that Keith Johnson programmed). Not everyone likes the deep games that JJP offers, but what everything is forgetting is that the JJP games can also be played more simple. WoZ: lock balls on right ramp and start multiball, Hobbit: Lock balls on right ramp and start multiball, POTC: lock balls in chest and start multiball. But if you have those games at home that would become boring quickly (for me that is). I am already bored with Munsters, as it has about the same complicated ruleset as the moving ship (Black Pearl) alone in POTC. I am exaggerating of course, but it feels like it. Again this is really dependant on the game, as BM66 and TWD offer much more game than say AS, Munsters, Bealtes etc. With Stern it is very dependant on who is coding it, with JJP every game up until now is great.

One little thing that always bothers me of every recent Stern is the location of the power button. They should put it where it belongs. Also the noise that the PSU fan makes even when just in idle is always making me asshamed of it when it turns on. Again something that I change out with a quality fan every Stern.

As has been pointed out, all these things are not about the fact if it will work reliably or not. I have had as much problems with my Stern machines (nodeboards and CPU boards mainly) as with my JJP, but the JJP ones were most of the time just things that had to be fine tuned, not repaired. If there is so much more on the playfield, more can go wrong. The way that Stern solves that problem is just by not putting as much on it

Long post but I wanted to put out my opinion as this point keeps getting raised. Here in Europe Stern is as expensive as JJP so in that light my opinion is that I get a much better experience with JJP than with Stern. Playing a JJP is going on a journey, playing a Stern is just playing a pinball machine.

#1729 4 years ago

Sorry, double

#1730 4 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Ok, I will bite as I am overly irritated by this. As has been pointed out, if you do not notice the difference in quality between JJP and Stern something is wrong with you.
That said: I have both Munsters LE and JJP POTC standing next to eachother. Munsters is one of the better built Stern of the last years, so in that area it really shines for a Stern. But take BM66 for example and the differences are huge. Lift the playfield of both and have a look under it. The service rails of JJP are so different from Stern. The lockbar mechanism is a point of discussion as I personally like the Stern clips better than the old sliding mechanism that JJP uses.
Now look at the screen. JJP is combining HD video with professional animations all over the place, Stern uses mostly videoclips and the animations on top of that are only scoring and info about the ball count.
Whatever anyone says, the playfields of Stern are softer. My Munsters has got a lot less plays than the POTC and the POTC still looks like new. Munsters dimples way more. I also have a Beatles Gold here with 250 plays and the playfield looks like an orange. But the Sterns do play well and the clear does not chip.
Furthermore, the JJP games consistently make use of full RGB leds throughout the plaffield. For me this enhances my experience playing the game very much. It also provides unique ways to present the game and to do effects on the playfield (like the "fire" in Hobbit. Stern playfields mostly flash a lot. The programming of all the effects with RGB is a lot more labour intensive than just turning a led on or off when needed.
The sound: the speakers that are being used at Stern are crap. Munster LE uses the Kenwoods, but even those are crap for a device which main function is entertainment. I always change out the speakers from my Sterns, never did so with any of the JJP's.
The games itself: JJP games are coded like no other (except for the Sterns that Keith Johnson programmed). Not everyone likes the deep games that JJP offers, but what everything is forgetting is that the JJP games can also be played more simple. WoZ: lock balls on right ramp and start multiball, Hobbit: Lock balls on right ramp and start multiball, POTC: lock balls in chest and start multiball. But if you have those games at home that would become boring quickly (for me that is). I am already bored with Munsters, as it has about the same complicated ruleset as the moving ship (Black Pearl) alone in POTC. I am exaggerating of course, but it feels like it. Again this is really dependant on the game, as BM66 and TWD offer much more game than say AS, Munsters, Bealtes etc. With Stern it is very dependant on who is coding it, with JJP every game up until now is great.
One little thing that always bothers me of every recent Stern is the location of the power button. They should put it where it belongs. Also the noise that the PSU fan makes even when just in idle is always making me asshamed of it when it turns on. Again something that I change out with a quality fan every Stern.
As has been pointed out, all these things are not about the fact if it will work reliably or not. I have had as much problems with my Stern machines (nodeboards and CPU boards mainly) as with my JJP, but the JJP ones were most of the time just things that had to be fine tuned, not repaired. If there is so much more on the playfield, more can go wrong. The way that Stern solves that problem is just by not putting as much on it
Long post but I wanted to put out my opinion as this point keeps getting raised. Here in Europe Stern is as expensive as JJP so in that light my opinion is that I get a much better experience with JJP than with Stern. Playing a JJP is going on a journey, playing a Stern is just playing a pinball machine.

Thanks so much for this. Actual real results that I was looking for and I actually agree with some of your opinion.

Although still doesn’t answer WW questions and issues. But you don’t have one yet so you can’t comment, but thanks for your opinion and in an inoffensive manner. Cheers!

PS: Playfield dimpling happens on both product offerings.

#1731 4 years ago

No point bashing or pumping either company here...Plenty of that in other threads. I'm watching/engaging in this thread for Wonka news, thoughts, and insight only.

Has anyone actually seen a CE play field yet ( may have missed it)...thanks

#1732 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Do you feel good bashing and name calling others legitimate questions?
Yes, WOZ, when it sold for $6.5k, was a good value for a family’s hard earned money. See the value in that one and the very reason it has outsold all other JJP tables combined by far, as I’m learning here from others posts.

I'm not sure if you realize this but the 6,500 dollar WOZ damn near put Jack out of business. What pins do you own?

#1733 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Thanks for a crude and not to the point list, that has little solid evidence and is your opinion mainly.
- No knocker - (when I play Stern games I hear a knocker)
- crap coin mechs (how is JJPs different and in HUO, this is a moot point)
Your unkind ways of trying to help me is pushing me towards not buying WW. Are you an example of the typical JJP owner? Your mouth has such negative comments coming out of it. Please consider how to speak with people about your point of view without calling them a shill, lazy and incompetent. Not cool. Grow up...

I have owned all four jjp games and most spike games, including Munsters pro. In my view there is no comparison between the two with Stern being much lower.

-Have you ever tried to move a stern or jjp game or even lift a playfield? There is a reason jjp games weigh more standard body DI). Beefier mechs, higher gauge wire, higher gauge connectors, lack of fuses, more toys and just a ton of stuff on the play field.
-The quality of the board set is much lower for spike games, they are literally meant to be non-repairable throw away items. Your friend should consider himself lucky nothing has failed, plenty have. What will happen in 5 years? You can replace a fuse in a jjp game whereas in a stern game, the entire board needs to be replaced, that’s a huge quality difference.
- Relatedly, spike Node board failure puts a game down for at least a week, replacing a fuse, 5 mins.
-Sound quality/parts.
-cabinet construction method and wood thickness (do the research)
-monitor quality.

I like stern games, they are all fun, but for the long run, I’d rather own a jjp. I feel the stern game’s from the mid-2000s were built much better than the games of today.

#1734 4 years ago

Yawn. This thread sucks. Take y'alls dribble to pm.

#1735 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Yawn. This thread sucks. Take y'alls dribble to pm.

You are up already or still on the couch.

#1736 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

No point bashing or pumping either company here...Plenty of that in other threads. I'm watching/engaging in this thread for Wonka news, thoughts, and insight only.
Has anyone actually seen a CE play field yet ( may have missed it)...thanks

Nope, I've been asking for weeks and nobody responds. They'd rather talk about Munsters, apparently.

#1737 4 years ago
Quoted from Cgpinhead:

Go find a hobby where the manufactures and distributors are perfect.

I have said the same thing with all the people that take pic's very close up so that they could bitch about dimples

#1738 4 years ago

ERIC mentioned during the Wonka reveal the CE artwork needed to be approved by the liscense holders and should be ready in about "2 WEEKS".

I have a feeling JJP is laying low to finishing turning these pins from prototypes to finalized products, while gearing up the factory line to produce and ship.

I think we will see "2nd" reveal from them when these pins are ready to actually ship, capitalizing any hype it can stir up again.

#1739 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

You are up already or still on the couch.

I was a good boy last night. Only had four beers.

#1740 4 years ago
Quoted from drained:

ERIC mentioned during the Wonka reveal the CE artwork needed to be approved by the liscense holders and should be ready in about "2 WEEKS".
I have a feeling JJP is laying low to finishing turning these pins from prototypes to finalized products, while gearing up the factory line to produce and ship.
I think we will see "2nd" reveal from them when these pins are ready to actually ship, capitalizing any hype it can stir up again.

I don't think a re-reveal with tweaked artwork will build hype. What WILL certainly build hype is these arriving and getting unboxed by owners or on location. That needs to happen quickly to keep the momentum.

#1741 4 years ago

I'm looking forward to getting an LE.

I think this will end up being a huge hit for JJP once more people get a chance to play it. I think it's pretty amazing that after all these years, Pat can come up with a playfield that is fresh, packed with shots, and still has great flow and combos.

There's always a lot of noise around every release, and I think some things get lost in that noise...for example I believe this layout/design is awesome.

Tons of shots and diverters that allow for varied gameplay. 3 ramps. 4 flippers. 7 magnets. The gobstopper mech is cool. I like the drop from the wire form to set up the cross playfield shot. The Wonkavator ball lock. I think people will love shooting this game.

#1742 4 years ago

You guys could just stop taking the bait. Just because someone posts doesn't mean they're worth responding to, practice a little discipline. You know what bothers trolls? Being ignored.

#1743 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You guys could just stop taking the bait. Just because someone posts doesn't mean they're worth responding to, practice a little discipline. You know what bothers trolls? Being ignored.

Good reasoning and logic are not allowed on pinside (especially later at night on a Saturday). You've been here long enough, you should know this by now. Everyone with a keyboard and an opinion needs to be heard.
Happy mothers day, because some of your motherf***ers obviously need to be recognized for your birthing of some of these posts. I wanted to play along last night, but I was too busy PLAYING PINBALL to actually care.
All in good fun ladies, carry on.

#1744 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

but WW has power source issues to many reports of weakened flippers -

At shows with hundreds of games going tapping the power source. So coils like flippers can be going weak or strong, constantly during an event.

On Jersey Jack pins you can go into Settings - Coils, and make coils weaker or stronger, to suit your needs where you put your game.

LTG : )

#1745 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This ^^^^^^

#1746 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

True....I was bored...

#1747 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Me too^^^

#1748 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Justify this. Go Away!!

#1749 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

True....I was bored...

I was at mom's place... And totally took the new account troll bait. I don't know why, but I can't help thinking internet ignorance can be healed. Must be my age...

#1750 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Quoted from Aurich:

Quoted from romulusx:

Justify this. Go Away!!

WTF is it a must to keep the pissing contest alive I think all those that call troll live for the conflict

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,600 (OBO)
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 32.99
15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 64.00
9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtgt-wonka-is-coming-whos-in/page/35?hl=procrastinator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.