824E045A-9C5F-4708-A0CC-8643870B96ED (resized).jpeg
F5FBD34F-2E04-40A0-8039-F9CCCDB65107 (resized).jpeg
A3D38C6A-CB2D-4959-BAB5-D9703DC40AEA (resized).png
66A36E31-E4F7-49A3-BF9A-CD50FDF55F01 (resized).jpeg
slingpost1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190625_160834 (resized).jpg
ccc06.gif
ccc07.gif
There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 46.
#1551 4 years ago

Thanks for everyone who came out to play at Allentown Pinfest in the PinballSTAR booth - we had long lines all weekend and everyone who played had great things to say about Willy Wonka !

Interested in ordering after playing it at the show ? $ 250 refundable deposits on SE and LE / $ 1000 on CEs. Give us a jingle at [email protected]... We are one of JJP's largest distributors and looking forward to getting this great game shipping soon !

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements

#1552 4 years ago

Thanks again Joe for bringing all of the games.

#1553 4 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

Genuinely can't tell if you're being sarcastic in this post. A multi-ball that takes an entire day to achieve? For 2k? I don't get it.

No ... the game was at a show. That day I only got back in line during the day about 5 times. It appears that no one else was locking the Wonkavator balls that day (Sunday). When you lock a ball in the Wonkavator physical ball lock, it stays there and carries over from game-to-game until all 3 balls are locked. This is only on the LE and CE though. The SE is a virtual lock and doesn't carry over from game to game.

In theory alone, think of the Apollo 13 game. The ball locks carry over from game-to-game until the 13th ball is locked and then they all get released.

#1554 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

No ... the game was at a show. That day I only got back in line during the day about 5 times. It appears that no one else was locking the Wonkavator balls that day (Sunday). When you lock a ball in the Wonkavator physical ball lock, it stays there and carries over from game-to-game until all 3 balls are locked. This is only on the LE and CE though. The SE is a virtual lock and doesn't carry over from game to game.
In theory alone, think of the Apollo 13 game. The ball locks carry over from game-to-game until the 13th ball is locked and then they all get released.

I'm going to request that JJP make a code change for this, allowing the owners' to select whether or not the virtual ball lock carries over from game to game or not. It's selectable in the software for the LE and CE, there's no reason why they can't make it selectable in the SE software too.

#1555 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

no no, I get how it works. Just don't really get why it's worth an extra 2k. The fact that it was at a show and hundreds of people played it and 3 balls were locked in an entire day makes it sound pretty rare and useless.

#1556 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I'm going to request that JJP make a code change for this, allowing the owners' to select whether or not the virtual ball lock carries over from game to game or not. It's selectable in the software for the LE and CE, there's no reason why they can't make it selectable in the SE software too.

Yes there is, though. They want you to buy the LE or CE to get it.

#1557 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Yes there is, though. They want you to buy the LE or CE to get it.

The route operators would/will disagree with you. Not having a virtual ball lock carry-over on the SE will pretty much mean you will NEVER see Wonkavator multi-ball on a SE from a casual player. That's going to turn some potential operator buyers off.

#1558 4 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

no no, I get how it works. Just don't really get why it's worth an extra 2k. The fact that it was at a show and hundreds of people played it and 3 balls were locked in an entire day makes it sound pretty rare and useless.

I think the left upper flipper just didn't have enough gusto on the show game to make that shot. I hit it a few times, but it looked like the ball just ran out of steam at the top.

#1559 4 years ago

The route operators would/will disagree with you. Not having a virtual ball lock carry-over on the SE will pretty much mean you will NEVER see Wonkavator multi-ball on a SE from a casual player. That's going to turn some potential operator buyers off.

Counterpoint is a casual player doesn't know what the heck they're "missing" anyway. Not carrying over locks is the norm on what, 99% of modern machines?

#1560 4 years ago

Not having a virtual ball lock carry-over on the SE will pretty much mean you will NEVER see Wonkavator multi-ball on a SE from a casual player.

This multiball is sounding pretty dumb to be honest. It's so hard to get that the only way people will see it is with lock stealing across multiple players or games? That's a feature that's fun for simple games, and doesn't really belong on complicated ones.

I have a TNA with lock stealing, I've owned EATPM that had lock stealing, but those are really basic multiballs that present a simple risk/reward strategy for ball locking. Do you lock because you're likely to get the multiball yourself? Or skip it because you're afraid you'll drain before you start it?

If Wonka is so hard that it takes multiple games before people are seeing the multiball then that's just a terrible design. I have to think people are exaggerating about it, because otherwise that hilariously bad. Especially if they're tying one of the 'expensive' toys to it.

#1561 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This multiball is sounding pretty dumb to be honest. It's so hard to get that the only way people will see it is with lock stealing across multiple players or games? That's a feature that's fun for simple games, and doesn't really belong on complicated ones.
I have a TNA with lock stealing, I've owned EATPM that had lock stealing, but those are really basic multiballs that present a simple risk/reward strategy for ball locking. Do you lock because you're likely to get the multiball yourself? Or skip it because you're afraid you'll drain before you start it?
If Wonka is so hard that it takes multiple games before people are seeing the multiball then that's just a terrible design. I have to think people are exaggerating about it, because otherwise that hilariously bad. Especially if they're tying one of the 'expensive' toys to it.

Not sure it's as much "hard" as it is "just don't know how" yet. I put about 2 hours and 75-100 games in during MGC, and by the end of that time, I was starting to get how to get the Super Ball Lock to engage. From there, it's just a ramp shot to load the ball. So, more education on the rules is needed, I think.

As to the comment on Casual players? I'm a casual player, and I will be getting an SE. And I want the carry-over. So there

#1562 4 years ago

I will be getting an SE. And I want the carry-over. So there

Well, there you go. Might as well ask.

#1563 4 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

Have to agree with you buddy. There’s not an extra $2k of fun there or can’t see any justification for spending $2k more. Surely when one resells their WWLE potential buyers won’t see it either. That $2k gap is wide on reseller market and potential buyers will pound you over it. A few extra decals of artwork doesn’t do it either, imo.

#1564 4 years ago

The Wonkavator multiball is just one of the multiballs. Getting 3 balls locked in a single game would be tough for the mediocre casual player. The really good players could probably get it some of the times. For home use, I could see people playing a 4 player game to try to get it. I agree that more instructional tips would be handy. I know that once I saw it lit, I would shoot for the magnet above the upper left flipper that would catch the ball for the initial shot over the right upper flipper.

#1565 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Have to agree with you buddy. There’s not an extra $2k of fun there or can’t see any justification for spending $2k more. Surely when one resells their WWLE potential buyers won’t see it either. A few extra decals of artwork doesn’t do it either imo.

There are other items included for the LE over SE
Check the matrix before comments

#1566 4 years ago

I believe this question has been asked by me and others, but still haven't seen an answer. Since an SE version was available to play this past weekend, perhaps now someone can shed some light on how the SE edition lets the player know how many balls have been locked in the Wonkavator since it is a virtual lock and, unlike the LE or CE, the player can't just look at the Wonkavator ramp and see how many balls have been locked so far. Are there lights somewhere that are lit designating the number of balls locked? Is it information on the screen somewhere? Something else?

#1567 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Another well stated opinion that has me rethinking an LE purchase. Proves even more that $2k extra for what appears to be an almost worthless ball lock is not worth a whopping $9.5k. Think the $7.5k might be better (although still seems high compared to a Stern Pro, which is even $2k again less?). Just add a couple of GW stickers to the side if desired and a save $2k and buy PDI glass which is better anyway, imo.

#1568 4 years ago

Still waiting for anything on the CE artwork. Anybody got a line to Jack or someone in the know?

#1569 4 years ago

In home use i don't believe the wonkavator mb will be that difficult to achieve.... i activated the lock 2 times but the shot is tough to make with the weaker flippers at shows.

#1570 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

In home use i don't believe the wonkavator mb will be that difficult to achieve.... i activated the lock 2 times but the shot is tough to make with the weaker flippers at shows.

It can’t be much different than TSPP couch locks. I have those set to carry over.

#1571 4 years ago

Not sure it's as much "hard" as it is "just don't know how" yet. I put about 2 hours and 75-100 games in during MGC, and by the end of that time, I was starting to get how to get the Super Ball Lock to engage. From there, it's just a ramp shot to load the ball. So, more education on the rules is needed, I think.
As to the comment on Casual players? I'm a casual player, and I will be getting an SE. And I want the carry-over. So there

Its actually a the spinner/orbit shot from upper left flipper..

#1572 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

It can’t be much different than TSPP couch locks. I have those set to carry over.

Exactly what i was thinking. Me too.

#1573 4 years ago

I’ll stick with the LE. Saw wonkavator multiball in person at MGC and it was great. The ball lock mech is cool and the wonkavator mod from mod couple makes it even better. I also want the shaker, invisiglass (which has been just as good as my PDI glass), powder coated rails, lockdown, legs, and wireforms, external volume control, and I like Gene on the artwork. Just my opinion. I get it may not be for everyone.

#1574 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I agree. I loaded two balls in one game today, and then got Wonkavator MB in the second game. The diverter at the upper left flipper and the magnet, sets up the shot nicely. Even if you miss, and the ball goes into the saucer, or anywhere near the upper right flipper, you can reset the diverter and magnet shot, by hitting the ball up the ramp -- really not that hard, and I am a hack player. I find getting to the Wonkavator MB very satisfying, and the Multiball experience is very cool.

#1575 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Have to agree with you buddy. There’s not an extra $2k of fun there or can’t see any justification for spending $2k more. Surely when one resells their WWLE potential buyers won’t see it either. That $2k gap is wide on reseller market and potential buyers will pound you over it. A few extra decals of artwork doesn’t do it either, imo.

Quite a few extra
6125BE68-2F29-4734-8CE2-440C989CBC98 (resized).png6125BE68-2F29-4734-8CE2-440C989CBC98 (resized).png

#1576 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I’ll stick with the LE. Saw wonkavator multiball in person at MGC and it was great. The ball lock mech is cool and the wonkavator mod from mod couple makes it even better. I also want the shaker, invisiglass (which has been just as good as my PDI glass), powder coated rails, lockdown, legs, and wireforms, external volume control, and I like Gene on the artwork.

Lol, there you are cheer leading again. You’ve got to be in JJP sales department if your not a stock holder. Lol

#1577 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Quite a few extra[quoted image]

Glad to see this, thanks. Proof there’s not an extra $2,000.00 there in my opinion. Signed cards, numbered plate, couple more decals, invisiglass, some extra paint, a ball lock, is this stuff worth an extra $2,000.00? All pretty much fluff, wow, again thanks for sharing. Invisiglass is only item there that cost anything (probably for JJP $150 or less in volume). SE or nothing it seems, after reading all these posts or a Stern pro and save $2k, lol.

#1578 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Lol, there you are cheer leading again. You’ve got to be in JJP sales department if your not a stock holder. Lol

Contain your excitement @f3honda4me. Pinside isn't for pinball fans. It's for bitter people who like to complain about everything.

#1579 4 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Contain your excitement f3honda4me. Pinside isn't for pinball fans. It's for bitter people who like to complain about everything.

Not bitter or complaining at all, just trying to figure out like everyone else what to buy and what has value. That’s it. Thought that is what these forum discussions were all about? This isn’t an owners club thread right?

#1580 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Glad to see this, thanks. Proof there’s not an extra $2,000.00 there in my opinion. Signed cards, numbered plate, couple more decals, invisiglass, some extra paint, a ball lock, is this stuff worth an extra $2,000.00? All pretty much fluff, wow, again thanks for sharing. Invisiglass is only item there that cost anything (probably for JJP $150 or less in volume). SE or nothing it seems, after reading all these posts or a Stern pro and save $2k, lol.

I suggest you get a Stern pro

#1581 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I suggest you get a Stern pro

Thanks for the suggestion, but do like the Willy Wonka movie and what Pats done on the layout. Just trying to justify the much higher costs. I wonder, maybe because JJP volume buying is not as high as Stern’s, that’s why prices are so much higher than a Stern pro for a WWSE? Suppose when Stern buys 100,000 pieces of whatever, JJP probably buys 1000. Volume discounts have to be better, so that’s passed on to us the customer in lower MSRP, it appears from the two business models? Maybe that’s the $2k difference, I wonder?

#1582 4 years ago

Mod couple sure has some cool looking mods done already for WW.

#1583 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Mod couple sure has some cool looking mods done already for WW.

Thanks so much for the kind words jimwe5t! I understand your justification concerns as all models are honestly great as long as the game play, fun, and code match the theme which I think it does really well! While we have made some strides putting our spin on things we are still finalizing a replacement to the margarine factory ball lock for all models. Just seems wrong to us for such a key spot on the playfield. Here are our current final sneak peak pics of the direction we Think a Wonka factory would look. Coming shortly....

IMG_2868 (resized).jpegIMG_2868 (resized).jpegIMG_3260 (resized).jpgIMG_3260 (resized).jpgIMG_3261 (resized).jpgIMG_3261 (resized).jpgIMG_3262 (resized).jpgIMG_3262 (resized).jpg
#1584 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Thanks so much for the kind words jimwe5t! I understand your justification concerns as all models are honestly great as long as the game play, fun, and code match the theme which I think it does really well! While we have made some strides putting our spin on things we are still finalizing a replacement to the margarine factory ball lock for all models. Just seems wrong to us for such a key spot on the playfield. Here are our current final sneak peak pics of the direction we Think a Wonka factory would look. Coming shortly....
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is a wow mod for sure! Great job!

#1585 4 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Contain your excitement f3honda4me. Pinside isn't for pinball fans. It's for bitter people who like to complain about everything.

Yeah those people who complain about everything are as annoying as the other people who constantly complain about pinside. Hmmm

#1586 4 years ago

im in for an LE, wonkavator looks cool. I'm not concerned about how easy or hard it is to get at this phase with the code being so early. I'm sure they will also allow the difficulty to be tweaked like in TSPP couch lock. As others have stated, I like the extras on the LE as well. I have both PDI and Invisiglass and my personal pref def leans towards Invisiglass.

Looking forward to playing this at GSPF

Like nearly all JJP games, you either love it or hate it. Seems to bring out quite a lively debate. heh.

#1587 4 years ago

Love your title of the JJP factory installed WW factory. It’s a crack up and looks just like my families “Land o Lakes” butter container here in Cali. Modcouple WW factory mod is so much better!

2865FC12-2FA4-497C-A4C9-FF736DCAC3F1 (resized).jpeg2865FC12-2FA4-497C-A4C9-FF736DCAC3F1 (resized).jpeg

#1588 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Love your title of the JJP factory installed WW factory. It’s a crack up and looks just like my families “Land o Lakes” butter container here in Cali. Modcouple WW factory mod is so much better!
[quoted image]

Glad to see the cheap factory box be addressed, as this will probably be the most requested mod for this game. It's disappointing to see a plastic box with filler paper in a $9500.00 game plus shipping. Will there be a mod for the $100.00 printed manual? Just kidding.

#1589 4 years ago

It’s amazing how the game isn’t even out yet and Mod Couple comes out of the gate with these amazing upgrades!

By the time they are done with it, the game is going to match the Kaneda hype

#1590 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It’s amazing how the game isn’t even out yet and Mod Couple comes out of the gate with these amazing upgrades!
By the time they are done with it, the game is going to match the Kaneda hype

Easy there we don’t make miracles! Lol. But thanks we hope a few of our creations appeal to others.

#1591 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome work. I’ll definitely pick that up for mine. Just keep us in the loop on when it will be available, just as you always do. I still have a few POTC mods I need to get from you as well. Any promo codes for buy one get one free??

#1592 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Thanks for the suggestion, but do like the Willy Wonka movie and what Pats done on the layout. Just trying to justify the much higher costs. I wonder, maybe because JJP volume buying is not as high as Stern’s, that’s why prices are so much higher than a Stern pro for a WWSE? Suppose when Stern buys 100,000 pieces of whatever, JJP probably buys 1000. Volume discounts have to be better, so that’s passed on to us the customer in lower MSRP, it appears from the two business models? Maybe that’s the $2k difference, I wonder?

It’s great to seek out others input/justification on which model to get but at the end of the day it’s your money and your expensive toy. We all go through this process. Even your current life situation plays a major factor so you just have to review the spec sheets and choose. As always, try playing it before you buy. Not trying to be mean but several of those posts have felt more like you are trying to sway others opinions rather than making your own. At any rate I’m sure you will make the best choice for yourself and I wish you luck.
Part of the fun is knowing you are fortunate enough to make this decision and you have several options to choose from.

#1593 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

There are other items included for the LE over SE
Check the matrix before comments

Fortunately, the rest of the differences are purely cosmetic and/or are things that can be retrofitted after the purchase, with the exception of the external sound control. And even that I'm sure could be done, or doesn't matter to most home users as they are probably fine with opening the coin door to adjust volume.

#1594 4 years ago

Do we know what the final version of the game will look like? Is the house/factory on the left a place holder for something else that might be in the production game but not in the prototype? Do we know if JJP might add more toys to the game?

We won't be developing any mods until the game is in production and being released, jjp may have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Quoted from Yelobird:

Easy there we don’t make miracles! Lol. But thanks we hope a few of our creations appeal to others.

#1595 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Do we know what the final version will look like? Is the house on the right a place holder for something else that might be in the production game but not in the prototype? Do we know if JJP might add more toys to the game?

Good points could be some changes in order.

#1596 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Well you're definitely filling in some of the pictures I had in my head from his hype...chocolate river, Agustus in the tube, the edible mushrooms etc.

#1597 4 years ago
Quoted from LordHelmet:

It’s great to seek out others input/justification on which model to get but at the end of the day it’s your money and your expensive toy. We all go through this process. Even your current life situation plays a major factor so you just have to review the spec sheets and choose. As always, try playing it before you buy. Not trying to be mean but several of those posts have felt more like you are trying to sway others opinions rather than making your own. At any rate I’m sure you will make the best choice for yourself and I wish you luck.
Part of the fun is knowing you are fortunate enough to make this decision and you have several options to choose from.

Thanks, but I suppose whenever we offer an opinion it could be construed to be swaying others, but I don’t work for Stern, JJP, CGC, or any game company and could careless what you or anyone buys. (Unless I’m offered a commission and that’s another story, lol.)

#1598 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Thanks, but I suppose whenever we offer an opinion it could be construed to be swaying others, but I don’t work for Stern, JJP, CGC, or any game company and could careless what you or anyone buys. (Unless I’m offered a commission and that’s another story, lol.)

You say this, but your actions are the opposite. Any time I state a positive opinion that is on topic and relative to the current conversation, you selectively jump all over me for some reason. This implies you care a great deal about what others say, do, or buy. When I say anything negative about a game, like when I said I was disappointed in the lack of innovation Wonka had compared to Dialed In, you seem to ignore that though.

#1599 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Do we know what the final version of the game will look like? Is the house/factory on the left a place holder for something else that might be in the production game but not in the prototype? Do we know if JJP might add more toys to the game?
We won't be developing any mods until the game is in production and being released, jjp may have a few tricks up their sleeves.

All fair points but I suspect when a game is unveiled its Rare that they Add items to a sample game. The lock (factory) was a blow mold part I doubt they went through the work of making a mold to Not go that direction but anything is possible. The toys created to this point will most certainly not be part of anything extra they will provide in my opinion. And IF they make (a fancy factory) I applaud the upgrade!

#1600 4 years ago

DISAPOINTED!!! I seen and played several times the new Wonka and I wanted to like it and add it to my collect. But I was badly disappointed. It does no live up to the JJ machines of the past. I expected so much more in the modeling of items on the play field like OZ. They had so much they could have used from the movie. But they cheaped out. So sad for a great title. I guess I will have to wait till something more worthy comes along to add to my collection. So sad!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 91.00
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtgt-wonka-is-coming-whos-in/page/32?hl=willsmuz8999 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.