824E045A-9C5F-4708-A0CC-8643870B96ED (resized).jpeg
F5FBD34F-2E04-40A0-8039-F9CCCDB65107 (resized).jpeg
A3D38C6A-CB2D-4959-BAB5-D9703DC40AEA (resized).png
66A36E31-E4F7-49A3-BF9A-CD50FDF55F01 (resized).jpeg
slingpost1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190625_160834 (resized).jpg
ccc06.gif
ccc07.gif
There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 46.
#1501 4 years ago

This game
Is way overhyped put two plays on it and it is good but it is not pirates by far in my opinion

#1502 4 years ago

I got more games in on Wonka today as I caught it at times where the lines were somehow short. I played it enough to come to the conclusion that as of now, I'm not going to be getting one. Wonka is a really good game, beautiful, and it is fun, but it just lacks something, and I say that after having at least one fairly decent game where I unlocked two multi-ball runs and hit a lot of the shots (still not all of them though). I did get some magnet action today during my one game but would have to agree that I didn't really notice them much otherwise.

This is all just opinion...you'll get plenty of people arguing for or against getting one, and that's what makes this debate essentially useless; there is no right or wrong choice. You have to play it...I would definitely play it before ordering it, which is really what everyone should do with every game. Given there should be no shortage of SE and LE, there's really no reason not to wait to play it before deciding. It's fun...you will have fun, and you will be impressed with plenty of things about the game, but I think a lot of people will still feel like it's just missing something. If you play it and you like it, getting one is the right choice, and anyone trying to tell you otherwise means nothing. I may get a Wonka LE in the future if it grows on me (I think someone close to me who I've networked with said he was getting one, so I have a chance to continue to wait and see if it grows on me).

#1503 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I think people aren't understanding the point here. You had the entire pinball community saying this game was amazing and how innovative it was... Things we haven't seen before. Hype was through the roof. Simple as that. I think if it wasn't so hyped, I think expectations would have been better grounded.

You may be right about this. I did not listen to these podcasts that seemed to stir up the hype so I have no idea what you folks are talking about. I did watch the videos (Buffalo pinball, STDM) and read the write-ups in TWIP, etc. and, frankly, came to the conclusion that this game is a masterpiece.

#1504 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

For all the folks who played Wonka at Allentown,what was your opinion after playing?

Unfortunately, similar to my impression of playing Pirates Of The Caribbean last year. The problem is weak flippers. I'm sure the flipper strength totally fine on the game. Last year I thought it was an amperage issue, putting too many game on one circuit. However, this year I had the same experience on Wonka. I am now suspecting the flipper voltage is being turned down in the service menu on the games. Why, would they do this? Probably to limit wear and tear on their display models. Is this a good idea?...probably not. Most people I spoke with had the same experience. When I played it, I couldn't make the right ramp regardless of how clean my shot was. I didn't bother to go back and play it after this. If you want people to be excited about a game and want to buy it, you need to provide them with the chance to have a good experience with the game. Otherwise, the game looked pretty and has some really neat features.

#1505 4 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Unfortunately, similar to my impression of playing Pirates Of The Caribbean last year. The problem is weak flippers. I'm sure the flipper strength totally fine on the game. Last year I thought it was an amperage issue, putting too many game on one circuit. However, this year I had the same experience on Wonka. I am now suspecting the flipper voltage is being turned down in the service menu on the games. Why, would they do this? Probably to limit wear and tear on their display models. Is this a good idea?...probably not. Most people I spoke with had the same experience. When I played it, I couldn't make the right ramp regardless of how clean my shot was. I didn't bother to go back and play it after this. If you want people to be excited about a game and want to buy it, you need to provide them with the chance to have a good experience with the game. Otherwise, the game looked pretty and has some really neat features.

It was not turned down intentionally. We looked.

#1506 4 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Not turned down... i was able to make all shots at the end of day fri night and the other tines i played it. They cld of been stronger but it played well fri from what i cld tell and see.

#1507 4 years ago

I found the SE played stronger.

#1508 4 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

I agree with you totally. The voltage from the receptacles were fine. The power to the flippers are down. All other pins played fine in every other booth. Its every year. I go to the show to get a look and feel but thats it. I to hit the ramps perfect and it just came right back down. Very weak.

#1509 4 years ago

The game is great... sure its not loaded with toys but there's enough there ... but the layout and ramps are great. So many great feeling shots and all 4 flippers are important and well thought out. The full rgb lighting is amazing and will only get better. Can't wait to play this in a controlled setting with sound up ... also once the code is more finished there's no doubt it will be a excellent pin in especially in home use. This will be a huge seller for jjp once all said and done.

#1510 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

You may be right about this. I did not listen to these podcasts that seemed to stir up the hype so I have no idea what you folks are talking about. I did watch the videos (Buffalo pinball, STDM) and read the write-ups in TWIP, etc. and, frankly, came to the conclusion that this game is a masterpiece.

We have to remember Buffalo pinball is on cahoots with Jersey Jack, and STDM is trying to sell these. And these are the two guys that had the most coverage on them thus far. Definitely biased stuff out right now.

Me, I use the eye test. And I personally don't see anything too terribly exciting about this one. Not like how I felt about past machines from Jersey Jack. Oh well, time will tell.

#1511 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I agree with you totally. The voltage from the receptacles were fine. The power to the flippers are down. All other pins played fine in every other booth. Its every year. I go to the show to get a look and feel but thats it. I to hit the ramps perfect and it just came right back down. Very weak.

U play fri or sat? I was even able to backhand both ramps on fri.

#1512 4 years ago

Well I was kinda ridiculed in this thread for bringing up the weak flippers at MGC, like 2 pages ago.

That's really a shame that it still seems to be an issue.

I guess JJP is just very unlucky, as they seem to always be getting the bad power feed at all these different shows, while other games play fine.

#1513 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

U play fri or sat? I was even able to backhand both ramps on fri.

Both days. When i played POTC last year it sucked as well. Then a friend got the CE about 3 months ago and wow what a diff. Flipper power up and plays great. Able to hit every ramp with ease. Also i played both SE and LE.

#1514 4 years ago

Played Williy Wonka SE for the first time at Allentown with my dad we both liked it a lot. Very pretty game lots of cool stuff cool four flipper layout lots of satisfying shots. Can't wait for these to start shipping out so I can play it some more probably my favorite JJP game so far.

#1515 4 years ago

Every JJP game since WOZ has had issues with weak flippers at shows. It's not a conspiracy and flipper settings aren't the cause. It's a non issue for home buyers and 99% of locations. If the game isn't being played constantly 16 hours a day the flippers will be fine. I wouldn't let this hold you back from buying the game. It's a ton of fun and this is nothing to worry about!

#1516 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Every JJP game since WOZ has had issues with weak flippers at shows. It's not a conspiracy and flipper settings aren't the cause. It's a non issue for home buyers and 99% of locations. If the game isn't being played constantly 16 hours a day the flippers will be fine. I wouldn't let this hold you back from buying the game. It's a ton of fun and this is nothing to worry about!

This is true,my Dialed In flippers kick ass like a B/W.I back hand ramps consistently

#1517 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

that yellow brick woz just plain out money grab. every time i see one it rubs me the wrong way. just plain garbage.

Robotron, your POV about the Yellow LE it is just because of the color, monkey thing, something else that you saw, or something extra/less about the PF?...
I do like this Yellow a lot honestly, can someone explain, what the monkey does in the game? Does anybody have a playfield pic comparison with the monkey thing please?...

Regards

#1518 4 years ago

Me and my girl also got the chance to play Wonka at Allentown yesterday. Overall, Wonka is fun to play, good shots, but not worth the $$ for me to purchase.

My girl even said after playing Wonka a few times, she’d rather have a WOZ or a DI to add to the collection.

#1519 4 years ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

Robotron, your POV about the Yellow LE it is just because of the color, monkey thing, something else that you saw, or something extra/less about the PF?...
I do like this Yellow a lot honestly, can someone explain, what the monkey does in the game? Does anybody have a playfield pic comparison with the monkey thing please?...
Regards

The monkey physically picks up the ball and flies it from the playfield at the back and drops it into the castle playfield above. Very cool. Wouldn't want to lose this bit of theatre for a virtual ball lock. Certainly wouldn't want to pay more to lose it. I have a RR which is gorgeous. If they are still available go for that as it's got all the bells and whistles including topper, red powder coating and the monkey

#1520 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

It was not turned down intentionally. We looked.

Fair enough. Well, if the venue can't provide sufficient power, maybe look into bringing an A/C line conditioner?

#1521 4 years ago

Anybody have pictures of the playfield and cabinet from Allentown? Were these the same prototypes as mgc?

#1522 4 years ago

Not the same exact units but yes they were prototypes like those at MGC

#1523 4 years ago

Anybody else find the upper ramp extremely hard to hit on the standard it is totally different path from the le and the le is like butter

#1524 4 years ago

Pinheads … you don't know what you'll be missing with the SE vs. the LE (Wonkavator multiball carry-over) until you get to play the Wonkavator mutliball. We played a Wonka LE maybe 10 times at the VFW show between yesterday and today. One ball was locked in the Wonkavator this morning and I locked another one in the Wonkavator before lunch (I think I figured out how to do it, but I still don't know what qualifies it). Then this afternoon I locked the 3rd ball and on locking the 3rd ball the multiball started after a brief intro showing the Wonkavator crashing through the roof with the Wilder audio and video assets. There was quite a light show and the multiball lasted probably 3-4 minutes for me. Not sure if I was hitting what I was supposed to, but heard "jackpot" a few times. It was pretty exciting to see that and play that. It might even get better with future code. It would be pretty rare to experience Wonkavator multiball with a SE unless you're a real good player (from my current understanding of the carryover difference). I like the game a lot, the more I play and learn it. At times it is a tough unforgiving game for missed shots. [But currently I still like JJPOTC more.] My deposit for Wonka LE will still stay put. Glad I had the opportunity to play it again. Thanks VFW show, JJP, and Abel for providing the game.

#1525 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Pinheads … you don't know what you'll be missing with the SE vs. the LE (Wonkavator multiball carry-over) until you get to play the Wonkavator mutliball. We played it maybe 10 times at the VFW show between yesterday and today. One ball was locked in the Wonkavator this morning and I locked another one in the Wonkavator before lunch (I think I figured out how to do it, but I still don't know what qualifies it). Then this afternoon I locked the 3rd ball and on locking the 3rd ball the multiball started after a brief intro showing the Wonkavator crashing through the roof with the Wilder audio and video assets. There was quite a light show and the multiball lasted probably 3-4 minutes for me. Not sure if I was hitting what I was supposed to, but heard "jackpot" a few times. It was pretty exciting to see that and play that. It might even get better with future code. It would be pretty rare to experience Wonkavator multiball with a SE unless you're a real good player (from my current understanding of the carryover difference). I like the game a lot, the more I play and learn it. At times it is a tough unforgiving game for missed shots. [But currently I still like JJPOTC more.] My deposit for Wonka LE will still stay put. Glad I had the opportunity to play it again. Thanks VFW show, JJP, and Abel for providing the game.

Good write up. I to liked the way the game played. With stronger flippers and hearing it, i think this will be the game of the year. It was alot of fun. I want an LE but i dont want to sell my Congo to get it.

#1526 4 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Anybody else find the upper ramp extremely hard to hit on the standard it is totally different path from the le and the le is like butter

I was having an easy time hitting the upper ramp on the one I played at Allentown.

#1527 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

This is true,my Dialed In flippers kick ass like a B/W.I back hand ramps consistently

Agreed never had any flipper power issues either

#1528 4 years ago

There was a big difference at MGC between the flipper power at the reveal in the presentation room (which was great) and in the main conference hall (not so good). KingPinGames previously stated that they did not adjust flipper power when they moved the machines to the hall. The power was likely a little low with all of those pinball machines on a few of those circuits. A few Sterns and CGC pins had some lagging, slow flippers too at MGC. Others were fine.

#1529 4 years ago

We are taking preorders. No deposit. PM if interested.

CF4056F4-1075-4AD6-AE20-6E64824910FB (resized).jpegCF4056F4-1075-4AD6-AE20-6E64824910FB (resized).jpeg
#1530 4 years ago

Playing wonka just assured for me pirates is the much better game

#1531 4 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Playing wonka just assured for me pirates is the much better game

I do love me some pirates.

#1532 4 years ago

Can’t believe many always making excuses for JJP flipper strength. Their flipppers are weak no matter which game you play and when. Every JJP game of all my friends have the same issue: weak flippers. It is the inherit design of JJP flippers. It appears they don’t want things to get bashed and broken on their tables, which is understandable, but makes for a less fun pinball experience. Play a JJP table anywhere and you’ll soon realize it is a universal JJP issue.

#1533 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Can’t believe many always making excuses for JJP flipper strength. Their flipppers are weak no matter which game you play and when. Every JJP game of all my friends have the same issue: weak flippers. It is the inherit design of JJP flippers. It appears they don’t want things to get bashed and broken on their tables, which is understandable, but makes for a less fun pinball experience. Play a JJP table anywhere and you’ll soon realize it is a universal JJP issue.

My JJP flippers aren’t weak, nor have any other JJP games I’ve played at various places.

#1534 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

My JJP flippers aren’t weak, nor have any other JJP games I’ve played at various places.

After seeing many of your post in this thread, I wouldn’t expect you to say anything else. Do you own stock or something?

#1535 4 years ago

I’ve experienced weak flippers on JJP games in a home environment when multiple games are on and sharing the same circuit. I don’t think it’s a big issue, however, just either turn up the flipper power or turn off some games.

#1536 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

I got more games in on Wonka today as I caught it at times where the lines were somehow short. I played it enough to come to the conclusion that as of now, I'm not going to be getting one.

Thanks for the honest review. Haven’t played it yet myself, but worried too, that it is missing something(s). Compared to DI standard body it appears to be missing quite a bit. POTC also has way more in it.

#1537 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

That’s not true.

#1538 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

After seeing many of your post in this thread, I wouldn’t expect you to say anything else. Do you own stock or something?

Not doubting your evaluation of JJP but I suspect as the feedback from f3honda4me might be a bit more correct as he actually owns all the JJP games? Could be you are playing at locations not correctly setup or beat down but I own most all JJP titles and I have never had a flipper issue? Other titles not always the case...

#1539 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Because I talk about pins I like? Just like everyone else here? I like sterns and CGC and spooky too, I better be careful I don’t say good things about those too!

#1540 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Not doubting your evaluation of JJP but I suspect as the feedback from f3honda4me might be a bit more correct as he actually owns all the JJP games? Could be you are playing at locations not correctly setup or beat down but I own most all JJP titles and I have never had a flipper issue? Other titles not always the case...

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe the places I’m playing are problematic for whatever reason. Flippers at those places just not as strong as Sterns or CGC.

#1541 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Because I talk about pins I like? Just like everyone else here? I like sterns and CGC and spooky too, I better be careful I don’t say good things about those too!

Lol, that’s a point.

#1542 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Thanks for the honest review. Haven’t played it yet myself, but worried too, that it is missing something(s). Compared to DI standard body it appears to be missing quite a bit. POTC also has way more in it.

Its totally fine and stuff on the playfield don't always equate to fun factor (look at sterns) . The four flippers with multiple shots from each one is what's awesome(with great flow). Throw in 2 physical ball locks, lots of magnets , 3 ramps, some diverters, captive ball and all the shots and its dam fun imo. I think once the code is matured and your able to play in a controlled setting with full sound/music, video and full rgb lighting with tons of inserts its really gonna be something special for most people. I love and have owned most jjp pins and this one brings it all together imo .

#1543 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

you might want to tell all your clueless friends to go into settings and up their flipper strength.

#1544 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Its totally fine and stuff on the playfield don't always equate to fun factor (look at sterns) . The four flippers with multiple shots from each one is what's awesome(with great flow). Throw in 2 physical ball locks, lots of magnets , 3 ramps, some diverters, captive ball and all the shots and its dam fun imo. I think once the code is matured and your able to play in a controlled setting with full sound/music, video and full rgb lighting with tons of inserts its really gonna be something special for most people. I love and have owned most jjp pins and this one brings it all together imo .

Hope you’re right. I am a big Pat Lawlor fan. Will reserve my opinion until I play it, but it’s interesting to see what all the rest of you think.

#1545 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Hope you’re right. I am a big Pat Lawlor fan. Will reserve my opinion until I play it, but it’s interesting to see what all the rest of you think.

I've owned most his stuff and love them all but Wonka has such a great layout and all flippers and shots are good and feel great. Dile is my favorite pin but wonka will be giving it a run for the money bc of the theme, lighting and amount of shots.

#1546 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

I’ve owned every JJP except POTC, and never had an issue with weak flippers.

#1547 4 years ago

Although my opinion is that the flippers at MGC on Wonka were very weak, I will say that the flippers on my WOZ at home are awesome. Same with other JJP games I have played in other locations.

They can be set anywhere from very weak, to way too strong.

But the best part is, they just feel great. I don't know how to explain it other than that. JJP flippers are my favorite.

#1548 4 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

The monkey physically picks up the ball and flies it from the playfield at the back and drops it into the castle playfield above. Very cool. Wouldn't want to lose this bit of theatre for a virtual ball lock. Certainly wouldn't want to pay more to lose it. I have a RR which is gorgeous. If they are still available go for that as it's got all the bells and whistles including topper, red powder coating and the monkey

Darth, I appreciate it a lot, thanks for the response and you’re right about the RR 100%!

Thank you again mate!
Regards

#1549 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Pinheads … you don't know what you'll be missing with the SE vs. the LE (Wonkavator multiball carry-over) until you get to play the Wonkavator mutliball. We played a Wonka LE maybe 10 times at the VFW show between yesterday and today. One ball was locked in the Wonkavator this morning and I locked another one in the Wonkavator before lunch (I think I figured out how to do it, but I still don't know what qualifies it). Then this afternoon I locked the 3rd ball and on locking the 3rd ball the multiball started after a brief intro showing the Wonkavator crashing through the roof with the Wilder audio and video assets. There was quite a light show and the multiball lasted probably 3-4 minutes for me. Not sure if I was hitting what I was supposed to, but heard "jackpot" a few times. It was pretty exciting to see that and play that. It might even get better with future code. It would be pretty rare to experience Wonkavator multiball with a SE unless you're a real good player (from my current understanding of the carryover difference). I like the game a lot, the more I play and learn it. At times it is a tough unforgiving game for missed shots. [But currently I still like JJPOTC more.] My deposit for Wonka LE will still stay put. Glad I had the opportunity to play it again. Thanks VFW show, JJP, and Abel for providing the game.

Genuinely can't tell if you're being sarcastic in this post. A multi-ball that takes an entire day to achieve? For 2k? I don't get it.

#1550 4 years ago

I'm in for an LE, deposit placed with Joe@Pinballstar.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 64.00
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.99
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtgt-wonka-is-coming-whos-in/page/31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.