824E045A-9C5F-4708-A0CC-8643870B96ED (resized).jpeg
F5FBD34F-2E04-40A0-8039-F9CCCDB65107 (resized).jpeg
A3D38C6A-CB2D-4959-BAB5-D9703DC40AEA (resized).png
66A36E31-E4F7-49A3-BF9A-CD50FDF55F01 (resized).jpeg
slingpost1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190625_160834 (resized).jpg
ccc06.gif
ccc07.gif
There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 46.
#1451 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Gameplay differences are only the ball lock but the le comes with a nicer finish and more bling/upgrades

Another question between the SE and LE+ is the ball count. With the LE/CE having the rotating ball lock, how is that gonna work with the multiballs? I guess max is 4 balls in play at a time including add-a-ball. If 2 are always up there I assume 4 are usable in the trough. Might be a difference between the models we don't know about.

#1452 4 years ago
Quoted from drained:

I guess max is 4 balls in play at a time including add-a-ball. If 2 are always up there I assume 4 are usable in the trough.

There‘s mention of a six ball multiball if you qualify all 5 kids then start kid multiball. It‘s mentioned in the TWIP deep dive.

#1453 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

There‘s mention of a six ball multiball if you qualify all 5 kids then start kid multiball. It‘s mentioned in the TWIP deep dive.

You are correct! So what happens when 2 are in the Wonkavator? Do we have 8 balls installed in the game.. guess we will have to wait and find out.

#1454 4 years ago

According to Jack on the podcasts after the reveal, the line should already be changed over, as he said by end of April and games should start shipping shortly.

Couldn't even type that with a straight face. I just hope this will be on the line by mid July.

#1455 4 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

According to Jack on the podcasts after the reveal, the line should already be changed over, as he said by end of April and games should start shipping shortly.
Couldn't even type that with a straight face. I just hope this will be on the line by mid July.

Double all estimates at the least.. there might be one SE in someones home by mid June.

#1456 4 years ago
Quoted from drained:

Double all estimates at the least.. there might be one SE in someones home by mid June.

As a paragon of fiscal irresponsibility...I am considering getting an SE so I can get a first-run game, then selling it when the CEs finally ship.

Anyone else impatient and want their Oompa Loompa NOW, daddy?

#1457 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Man, I would jump all over this but like others have said, the artwork on the cabinet for the standard really is weak... I realize there are licenses to be paid and whatnot, but at the end of the day, we are spending thousands of dollars on a game and it should look nice regardless.

The side cabinet art is pretty lackluster, even if it is a standard. I paid the same price for my MB SE and the art is gorgeous on the entire machine. I was in on a Wonka, but now I’m having second thoughts and am considering MMr.

#1458 4 years ago

Does anyone remember what the time frame was on Pirates and DI between when JJP announced production and started shipping games to collector homes?

#1460 4 years ago

Talked to Jack today and played this at Pinfest today. WHAT A LINE for this game.

I have to say, I was impressed. Less on the playfield than DI and I mean that in a good way. I was going to buy another pin but now, I'm really considering this instead.

#1461 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Less on the playfield than DI

Great, now JJP is charging us $500 more for less on the game. How can that be “in a good way”? That was part of the attraction of their first standard body table, lots of things to do on the play field.

#1462 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Great, now JJP is charging us $500 more for less on the game. How can that be “in a good way”? That was part of the attraction of their first standard body table, lots of things to do on the play field.

I think the playfield’s as crowded as hell. There’s less on the playfield but it’s still full of shots. How about buy a standard or just don’t buy it?

Iron Maiden has nearly NOTHING in it toy-wise and is fun as hell. Game of the year.

#1463 4 years ago

I gave this a few goes today at Pinfest and look forward to playing it a few more times tomorrow. My first game was on the LE and was a fairly good game. Second game was on the standard and the ball just didn't go my way. The LE was definitely pretty and the shots were awesome. It wasn't as incredible as the hype built it up to be ahead of its reveal, but I was content. I may be in on an LE, but it didn't help that I played Wizard of Oz (Yellow Brick Road), right after this and thought it was considerably better (I'm not getting a WOZ but it made me doubt whether Wonka is worth the splash or not).

#1464 4 years ago

Put some time on wonka today.... all i can say is wow. Plays amazing with tons of shots and has great flow. Everything is very nice even on the prototype version. While i love my dile i can see wonka taking over as my favorite due to the variety of shots, amazing lighting, great theme, 4 flippers and much more. Also code on these were only around 55 percent done so much more to be added and smoothed out but its allready really good. Love the powder coat on the le and the wonkavator really finishes off the look especially with all its rgb lighting effects during gameplay. The Se is also good but just seems to be missing that one more thing especially the lighting ... but I'm sure the modders will make a mess of mods for that area. I'm sticking with the le and most people i talked to also ordered a le.. which was a good many people. Overall this is my favorite from the jjp lineup and its gonna sell a bunch ... lets get that line rolling jjp. Also spent time talking to jack which is always a pleasure. Was gonna order a se to play till my le is ready but im just gonna wait it out.

#1465 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Trust me there is plenty and actually more shots on Wonka....

#1466 4 years ago

The problem with this title is that your imagination runs wild with what could be . That in concert with the job JJ did on POTC leaves you feeling a little disappointed . Not saying it’s not a good pin ( I have no idea as I haven’t played it yet - 2 weeks at GSPF ) but it had almost no chance to live up to the hype . I’m really looking forward to playing it but probably won’t buy one because it’s not the game I had in my head . Hope it’s great fun tho !

#1467 4 years ago

I bought my pirates le from nitro so disappointed 9900 machine out of the box nothing but balls lost and stuck called tommy and no help called Jersey no reply I will figure it out but seriously I was out of the box this way.

#1468 4 years ago
Quoted from Clint12:

I bought my pirates le from nitro so disappointed 9900 machine out of the box nothing but balls lost and stuck called tommy and no help called Jersey no reply I will figure it out but seriously I was out of the box this way.

#1469 4 years ago
Quoted from Clint12:

nothing but balls lost and stuck

Please check the I/O board in the back box, go over all the connectors. Something may have come unplugged.

LTG : )

#1470 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Please check the I/O board in the back box, go over all the connectors. Something may have come unplugged.

If balls are sticking in the subway, check if your game has this post pushing the side, under the playfield.

pirates subway fix (resized).jpgpirates subway fix (resized).jpg
#1471 4 years ago

For all the folks who played Wonka at Allentown,what was your opinion after playing?

#1472 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

For all the folks who played Wonka at Allentown,what was your opinion after playing?

It's fun and has a lot of shots. The playfield is beautiful. It still falls short of the ridiculous hype that most of us bought into, but as others have said, it wasn't possible for it to live up to that. A LE may be in my future...I definitely enjoyed it more than I did the SE...for some reason the SE wasn't kind to me.

#1473 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

It's fun and has a lot of shots. The playfield is beautiful. It still falls short of the ridiculous hype that most of us bought into, but as others have said, it wasn't possible for it to live up to that. A LE may be in my future...I definitely enjoyed it more than I did the SE...for some reason the SE wasn't kind to me.

Really interested to hear more about le vs se. I usually go le but se seems like the way to go. Would love to hear from people who weren't drinking the Kool aid going in to tell about their experience.

#1474 4 years ago

Kaneda really caused a shitstorm with the Wonka fallout.
I really wonder what the initial impressions would’ve been minus his podcast?

#1475 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Kaneda really caused a shitstorm with the Wonka fallout.
I really wonder what the initial impressions would’ve been minus his podcast?

Because he was excited about it? That caused a shit storm? Special When Lit guys were excited about it too, as was SDTM. Nothing wrong with being excited about this hobby.

#1476 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain-Flint:

Because he was excited about it? That caused a shit storm? Special When Lit guys were excited about it too, as was SDTM. Nothing wrong with being excited about this hobby.

Game was over hyped beyond belief. I totally agree with what that guy said. He's wondering if the WW pumping wasn't so ridiculous what would have been. Good question

#1477 4 years ago

I played Wonka at MGC and was underwhelmed. I think it shoots well, but the flippers were weak and took some of the fun out of it.

I'm mostly disappointed with the theme integration.

I mean, why am I shooting the gobstopper three times to start gobstopper multiball? I guess, because it's a pinball machine with a gobstopper in it. But just because the movie had Gobstoppers, and you stick a plastic gobstopper into the game, does not make for good theme integration.

They could have developed the exact same mechanism, but put a model of the boat on top instead of the gobstopper. Then, when you are shooting balls into it, it represents the kids boarding the boat. When they are all boarded, the boat spins, multiball starts, and you play the boat scene on the screen along with the creepy dialog. That scene goes along with a spinning boat very well.

Well these are just my thoughts and I know there is much more that goes into this stuff, so my opinion is definitely not well informed or worth much. And honestly if I didn't love the theme so much, I'd actually be more likely to buy this game.

#1478 4 years ago
Quoted from Clint12:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues

#1479 4 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

I played Wonka at MGC and was underwhelmed. I think it shoots well, but the flippers were weak and took some of the fun out of it.
I'm mostly disappointed with the theme integration.
I mean, why am I shooting the gobstopper three times to start gobstopper multiball? I guess, because it's a pinball machine with a gobstopper in it. But just because the movie had Gobstoppers, and you stick a plastic gobstopper into the game, does not make for good theme integration.
They could have developed the exact same mechanism, but put a model of the boat on top instead of the gobstopper. Then, when you are shooting balls into it, it represents the kids boarding the boat. When they are all boarded, the boat spins, multiball starts, and you play the boat scene on the screen along with the creepy dialog. That scene goes along with a spinning boat very well.
Well these are just my thoughts and I know there is much more that goes into this stuff, so my opinion is definitely not well informed or worth much. And honestly if I didn't love the theme so much, I'd actually be more likely to buy this game.

There’s only so many choices you can make in putting something into a pinball machine. The gobstopper is more integral to the plot than the boat. Everyone just remembers the boat because of the creepy scene, which is great. But I wouldn’t call the choice about putting a gobstopper into the game bad theme integration.

#1480 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

There’s only so many choices you can make in putting something into a pinball machine. The gobstopper is more integral to the plot than the boat. Everyone just remembers the boat because of the creepy scene, which is great. But I wouldn’t call the choice about putting a gobstopper into the game bad theme integration.

I definitely agree the gobstopper needs to be in the game. Not trying to start any arguments here, or trying to criticize any choices that were made. Just saying that in my opinion, it didn't really click with me. After all, one gobstopper is enough for anybody, right? So why is it a multiball?

I get it, it's a pinball machine. You shoot stuff repeatedly to start modes. It's all good. Just wish it actually represented something from the movie, that's all.

#1481 4 years ago

I played 2 games at VFW.....shot great but did not feel it had a lot of stuff on it relative to other JJP games. The 2 outside ramps and Gobstopper shots are very easy. Rest of shots more challenging. Never saw any magnet action on streams or the games I played or watched. Did not really liked the sound.

Game was really sharp looking! The LE blue has metallic flakes that look awesome.

Loved the small insert lights and how they change color.

Ball lock mech had very little action...I locked 1 ball.....but I liked how it looked. Worth the extra coins? Not in my view....but I like the invisiglass and power coat so looking at whole LE upgrade.

Overall I liked but did not love the game first try but going to give it some more plays before I decide if I want to add to the collection.

#1482 4 years ago
Quoted from hockeymag8:

I played 2 games at VFW.....shot great but did not feel it had a lot of stuff on it relative to other JJP games. The 2 outside ramps and Gobstopper shots are very easy. Rest of shots more challenging. Never saw any magnet action on streams or the games I played or watched. Did not really liked the sound.
Game was really sharp looking! The LE blue has metallic flakes that look awesome.
Loved the small insert lights and how they change color.
Ball lock mech had very little action...I locked 1 ball.....but I liked how it looked. Worth the extra coins? Not in my view....but I like the invisiglass and power coat so looking at whole LE upgrade.
Overall I liked but did not love the game first try but going to give it some more plays before I decide if I want to add to the collection.

Appreciate the honest impressions guys. Can't wait to try it myself

#1483 4 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

but the flippers were weak

Did you tell anybody ? With all the games going at MGC, electrical power may have dropped. And they could have made the flippers stronger to compensate for it.

#1484 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you tell anybody ? With all the games going at MGC, electrical power may have dropped. And they could have made the flippers stronger to compensate for it.

No I didn't. The lead software developer was standing right there watching everyone play. I figured they must have wanted them that way. I played several games on 2 different machines, both were weak.

I know I'm not the only one who thought the flippers were weak at MGC. It's been discussed in other threads.

#1485 4 years ago

Also, I apologize if my post about the flipper strength seemed like a criticism. I really didn't mean it like that. My thought at the time was that they had them set weak since they were prototype games and didn't want to break stuff. That's totally understandable, if this is the case. Maybe I'm wrong though?

But the only reason mentioned it is that I think I didn't get a full good idea of just how fun the game is. Which then, in turn, made me start thinking about the theme stuff I discussed above.

#1486 4 years ago

The SE played the same as the LE. Functionally you are only missing the ball lock mech (wonkavator). I'd say go SE if you are on the fence and want to save the money.

Quoted from delt31:

Really interested to hear more about le vs se. I usually go le but se seems like the way to go. Would love to hear from people who weren't drinking the Kool aid going in to tell about their experience.

#1487 4 years ago

"The flippers felt weak" is the comment you hear about every game from every show. It just happens. The hotel or convention center or whatever can never keep up. I'm sure they'll feel fine at home or at a reasonable location.

I think it's odd that no one has managed to notice all these magnets that are supposedly all over the playfield. Seems like they're either not really coded, or kinda pointless. I would have stuck the BOM into a noticeable toy instead, but I find magnets that just add a little random action basically boring even when you notice them working, so that's my personal bias.

#1488 4 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Also, I apologize if my post about the flipper strength seemed like a criticism. I really didn't mean it like that. My thought at the time was that they had them set weak since they were prototype games and didn't want to break stuff. That's totally understandable, if this is the case. Maybe I'm wrong though?

Do you think flippers are weak because you can‘t hit the ball up a ramp or because they don‘t accelerate the ball as fast as you like?

I don‘t like it when the flippers are stronger than they need to be.

#1489 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Do you think flippers are weak because you can‘t hit the ball up a ramp or because they don‘t accelerate the ball as fast as you like?
I don‘t like it when the flippers are stronger than they need to be.

Man, I really don't want to become "that guy" who is complaining about the flippers.

But yes, I did feel they were too weak. Maybe it was intended, maybe not. I apologize for bringing it up.

For the record, Wonka was the only game at the show which I felt this way about. All the Stern and CGC games, which were very close by, had flippers which were strong, and in many cases, too strong. That's why I assumed the Wonkas were turned down on purpose.

I'm a big jjp supporter so I'm sorry I brought this up.

#1490 4 years ago

The flippers were totally normal Friday night at reveal. But once moved to the main floor Saturday and Sunday they felt very weak. The explanation given is power sag from the power source on the game floor which makes sense. We noticed it on a few other games as well.

#1491 4 years ago

I’m still very interested in this pin but would love to hear a lot more reviews.
We may not see one land locally for some time yet.
Unfortunately, I’ve played a few different JJP pins where the flippers were on the weak side. I’m sure JJP will get this right.
I love my DI LE and based on some early comments sounds like Wonka plays in that style of gameplay.
Really looking forward to seeing how the code and theme interaction develops.

#1492 4 years ago

that yellow brick woz just plain out money grab. every time i see one it rubs me the wrong way. just plain garbage.

#1493 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

As a paragon of fiscal irresponsibility...I am considering getting an SE so I can get a first-run game, then selling it when the CEs finally ship.
Anyone else impatient and want their Oompa Loompa NOW, daddy?

Played 2 games in Allentown, not enough to form a solid opinion, but I think I am out on a CE. Was not really impressed with game, need more time on it but don't see how the CE is going to be worth 3k more then he LE. Heck, he SE is a solid buy

Hopefully i can get some more game time on it

.... And yes, flippers,felt week

#1494 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Game was over hyped beyond belief. I totally agree with what that guy said. He's wondering if the WW pumping wasn't so ridiculous what would have been. Good question

That is freakin dramatic... You were on Kaneda hyping up Alien for heavens sake... Talk about reaching. I was excited you were excited about Alien, but that is where it ends. This is a hobby, and I love that guys like Kaneda and SWL and SDTM get excited about stuff like this. Don't say it's over hyped. I played the game and it is AMAZING. I can't wait to get one in my home.

#1495 4 years ago

That is freakin dramatic... You were on Kaneda hyping up Alien for heavens sake... Talk about reaching. I was excited you were excited about Alien, but that is where it ends. This is a hobby, and I love that guys like Kaneda and SWL and SDTM get excited about stuff like this. Don't say it's over hyped. I played the game and it is AMAZING. I can't wait to get one in my home.

Agreed. I never understand why people put so much value in what others say about a game unless its part/accessory specific. Who really cares if they loved or hated the game?? Last I checked We are the ones paying for it so it seems like the only hype of value is my personal impression. To say its a let down because you were basing your decision on a second parties opinion is goofy to say the least. I played it and really liked the complete package. Don't see the CE value but thats My opinion. LE all day can't wait to get the delivery date!

#1496 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Agreed. I never understand why people put so much value in what others say about a game unless its part/accessory specific. Who really cares if they loved or hated the game?? Last I checked We are the ones paying for it so it seems like the only hype of value is my personal impression. To say its a let down because you were basing your decision on a second parties opinion is goofy to say the least. I played it and really liked the complete package. Don't see the CE value but thats My opinion. LE all day can't wait to get the delivery date!

I think people aren't understanding the point here. You had the entire pinball community saying this game was amazing and how innovative it was... Things we haven't seen before. Hype was through the roof. Simple as that. I think if it wasn't so hyped, I think expectations would have been better grounded.

I for one now think a little differently about these so called industry "pros" bc the game is not only not innovative it's a major step back compared to POTC when it comes to innovation. And that's not an opinion, it's a fact by comparing the two.

Game better shoot like a dream with that type of strategy!

As for alien, no one is hyping that game on any podcast but me! It needs as much hype as it can get bc it's an unbelievable game

I'm still very much considering buying a standard btw....I loved dialed in just wish Wonka was more innovative. I already knew it would shoot well......you're taking about Pat motherf_____ing lawlor people! Represent

#1497 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

The lines were crazy long, so I only played it three times. But I loved the layout from ball 1. Wish I could have played it more.

#1498 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I think people aren't understanding the point here. You had the entire pinball community saying this game was amazing and how innovative it was... Things we haven't seen before. Hype was through the roof. Simple as that. I think if it wasn't so hyped, I think expectations would have been better grounded.
I for one now think a little differently about these so called industry "pros" bc the game is not only not innovative it's a major step back compared to POTC when it comes to innovation. And that's not an opinion, it's a fact by comparing the two.
Game better shoot like a dream with that type of strategy!
As for alien, no one is hyping that game on any podcast but me! It needs as much hype as it can get bc it's an unbelievable game
I'm still very much considering buying a standard btw....I loved dialed in just wish Wonka was more innovative. I already knew it would shoot well......you're taking about Pat motherf_____ing lawlor people! Represent

Fair enough I respect your view. After you play it I suspect you will like it better then the pictures represent. No, it will never be Pirates granted I don’t think any game will ever trump that challenge. Wonka is a really well done game top to bottom with a great team in place to see it become a long time favorite for many.

#1499 4 years ago

Don't say it's over hyped.

It was 100% over-hyped. JJP made a mistake with who they gave early access to, clearly. I mean, people need to be better about buying in, especially given the source in some cases, but it did more harm than help I suspect.

I'm not saying it's a bad game! I haven't played it, could be super fun, this isn't a criticism of the game. Just that when you raise expectations super high people's imaginations run wild, and they start thinking it's going to have things that aren't even realistic (chocolate river anyone) and then normal, real world engineering can't live up to it.

I think it's better to not have anyone say a word before hand, reveal it, and then be ready to ship. If Black Knight had a bunch of podcasters raving about the super cool toy, and wait until you figure out how you're going to battle the Knight, and just foaming at the mouth, and then it was shown? No way the toy would have matched expectations.

#1500 4 years ago

I had/have a deposit on a LE. After playing it a few times, is it 9500 fun? Eh..It's no POTC. I'm now thinking about going with a ACNC and deadpool pro combo instead.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 91.00
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 32.99
There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtgt-wonka-is-coming-whos-in/page/30?hl=drained and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.