824E045A-9C5F-4708-A0CC-8643870B96ED (resized).jpeg
F5FBD34F-2E04-40A0-8039-F9CCCDB65107 (resized).jpeg
A3D38C6A-CB2D-4959-BAB5-D9703DC40AEA (resized).png
66A36E31-E4F7-49A3-BF9A-CD50FDF55F01 (resized).jpeg
slingpost1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190625_160834 (resized).jpg
ccc06.gif
ccc07.gif

There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 46.
#1351 4 years ago

How bout some chocolate colored trim?

#1352 4 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

I got a viper or two...Does that count

I bet your insurance guy Loves you!!!

#1353 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Huh? It was a question? Lol

The Wonkavator just goes between the two ramps so I guess I wasn't really sure what was being questioned other than my truthfulness.

#1354 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

How bout some chocolate colored trim?

Think the GB green slime for all of those mods - drips on coin door, side blades. Dripping chocolate fits the theme well and was in the movie.

#1355 4 years ago

The Gobstopper shooter knob it is indeed a nice touch... JJP should print it in Wonka’s right hand instead of the left hand.

E6D21D23-E60B-4046-87B1-0CA45D3A6DC8 (resized).jpegE6D21D23-E60B-4046-87B1-0CA45D3A6DC8 (resized).jpeg
#1356 4 years ago

I love that people from jjp are reading the threads.

Keefer, are y'all open to tweaking things based on feedback here? Are things like callouts/name of, kid, multiball/etc finalized, or can they still be changed?

#1357 4 years ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

JJP should print it [Gobstopper] in Wonka’s right hand instead of the left hand.

I thought the same thing when I looked at The Munsters and noticed that Herman was wagging the wrong finger all over the place. The artists/designers need to pay more attention to things like right/left-handedness.

#1358 4 years ago

I apologize in advance for the long post. This will be my first NIB pin, as I'm an el-cheapo arcade guy. I'm not very good at pins, having only owned a few early SS titles from Richie. I've never paid more than $500 for any arcade or pinball machine in my life, and making the leap to a new pin has been no easy choice for me. But when I caught wind of this theme and heard it was coming from JJP, I began saving money. I will get an SE to start, and may hold it for a while to see if there's ever a 75th anniversary version released in 2021.

Thoughts.....

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

need to play it to see how it shoots but the theme integration is super lacking, needs much more gene, from the stream its a fail for me.
No candyman. No Oompah, no pure imagination? WTF? That music is critical on this game.
JJP please for the love of god stop doing launches at pinball shows when idiots like me can turn up and play terrible and thus make the game look terrible.
Neil.

Oompah has already been discussed. Candyman and Pure Imagination have been taken care of. Please find the rule sheet and read it.

Quoted from Joca:

WiWo looks great and for JJP it will hopefully be a cash cow.
But it‘s a pity that the elevator is missing in the standard pin. It was the strenght of JJP that even the standard pins had the full gameplay.
The WiWo is a mixture of DI and WoZ - and that is good.
Let‘s see how the gameplay is. I‘m looking forward to play this machine.
Greets
JoCa

The Wonkavator Super Ball Lock is available in the SE. It's virtual. For $2K saings, I'll live without it. In two hours of play time, I was never able to lock a ball in it, so I doubt I'll miss it at first. Remember, I'm a newbie pin player, and not that good at pinball.

Quoted from iceman44:

Def some weak shit in this game and the art on the standard is pathetic and no one disagrees.
Put F ing Wilder on the standard cab art for zero extra money and quit playing games.
The Wonkavator is a poor man's TSPP couch without the upper pf.
Okey dokey

There's licensing involved with using Gene's image. The Dahl estate had a lot of pull with this project - they even removed the word "Brat" from the game.

I have no doubt in my mind there will be aftermarket art and trim available for this game. There will be toys and upgrades galore.

My first code suggestion for the JJP guys: please get some more symphonic background music variation with some more of the film score. I felt a little underwhelmed at ball launch time at first. As things progress, it gets better.

Also, the skill shot success sound is a bit lacking. Can you do better?

Also, dibs on whomever would like to sell/swap the gobstopper shooter rod from their CE. I MUST have it.

#1359 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

There's licensing involved with using Gene's image. The Dahl estate had a lot of pull with this project - they even removed the word "Brat" from the game.

I don't think they would have power of Gene's image - Just the film studio and/or Wilder's estate

#1360 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I don't think they would have power of Gene's image - Just the film studio and/or Wilder's estate

No, but Warner Bros does. And you can bet your ass they're paying royalties to use the likeness.

#1361 4 years ago

No, but Warner Bros does. And you can bet your ass they're paying royalties to use the likeness.

D4B01814-512A-455C-9134-C662A72FCE80 (resized).jpegD4B01814-512A-455C-9134-C662A72FCE80 (resized).jpeg

You can buy a life-size cardboard standee of Gene Wilder as Wonka for $40 to put next to the $7,500 game that couldn’t afford to include it.

#1362 4 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

I thought the same thing when I looked at The Munsters and noticed that Herman was wagging the wrong finger all over the place. The artists/designers need to pay more attention to things like right/left-handedness.

"Wrong finger"? "Wrong Gobstopper hand"?

WTF is wrong with people...

#1363 4 years ago

I would image with all the talented moders out there that SOMEONE will re-create a gobstopper shooter rod. Agree...it’s a must have.

#1364 4 years ago

[quoted image]
You can buy a life-size cardboard standee of Gene Wilder as Wonka for $40 to put next to the $7,500 game that couldn’t afford to include it.

Okay, but try calling WB and ask them about putting your cardboard standee in a public place and charge people $1.00 per turn to look at it. See what they say then

#1365 4 years ago

Okay, but try calling WB and ask them about putting your cardboard standee in a public place and charge people $1.00 per turn to look at it. See what they say then

This. There is a cost for licensing/royalties when you're doing a licensed pinball theme, and yes it can get granular such as $X per image of Gene on each machine.

#1366 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

This. There is a cost for licensing/royalties when you're doing a licensed pinball theme, and yes it can get granular such as $X per image of Gene on each machine.

Of course there are licensing fees. What did it cost to license the $40 Wonka standee? Or the $24 Wonka Candy Land board game? But you’re missing the joke here. The joke is that those who are complaining about Gene’s missing head on the sides of their $7,500 pinball machines can put a $40 standee next to them. Problem solved.

#1367 4 years ago

Of course there are licensing fees. What did it cost to license the $40 Wonka standee? Or the $24 Wonka Candy Land board game? But you’re missing the joke here. The joke is that those who are complaining about Gene’s missing head on the sides of their $7,500 pinball machines can put a $40 standee next to them. Problem solved.

Ah I get it, you were saying something different than what I thought. Good stuff haha.

#1368 4 years ago

Oompah has already been discussed. Candyman and Pure Imagination have been taken care of. Please find the rule sheet and read it.

yeah, try the glass off...

Candyman isn't in the game. Oompah isn't featured enough. PI he randomly sings and its not very clear. Not sure with the wizard mode...

#1369 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

yeah, try the glass off...
Candyman isn't in the game. Oompah isn't featured enough. PI he randomly sings and its not very clear. Not sure with the wizard mode...

It's pretty apparent that David Thiel isn't working on JJP games anymore.

And that's NOT a good thing

#1370 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

"Wrong finger"? "Wrong Gobstopper hand"?
WTF is wrong with people...

You're gonna just love the typography discussion over in the "reveal" thread!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-wonka-reveal-details/page/25#post-4947815

#1371 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I can't honestly say I have any real faith in Deep Root, been burned too many times. Show me shipping games, then we can talk. But tell you what, the fact that they've got David Thiel is one hell of an asset. Not just because he's good at his job, of course he is, but also really a good voice to have in the room when it comes to just about anything pinball.

Why he and JJP parted ways is his business, but imo they're worse off for no longer working with him.

#1372 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I like a lot of the sound effects, they're very reminiscent of the Inventing Room, although it would be cool if they'd get that springy Gobstopper machine sound in there...

The music, so far, is definitely lacking...

And they could easily use dozens of additional audio clips from the film. Way too many memorable lines are currently MIA.

#1373 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

He is still updating sounds on Pirates. I was hanging with him on Friday before the show and we ran into Eric Meunier. He told him about a few sounds he just updated in the game.

I love that about JJP games, it continues to get support.

#1374 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I can't honestly say I have any real faith in Deep Root, been burned too many times. Show me shipping games, then we can talk. But tell you what, the fact that they've got David Thiel is one hell of an asset. Not just because he's good at his job, of course he is, but also really a good voice to have in the room when it comes to just about anything pinball.
Why he and JJP parted ways is his business, but imo they're worse off for no longer working with him.

David said why he went with deeproot. It's in his 3 hour interview with buffalo pinball. 3 year guaranteed contract.

#1375 4 years ago

I like a lot of the sound effects, they're very reminiscent of the Inventing Room, although it would be cool if they'd get that springy Gobstopper machine sound in there...
The music, so far, is definitely lacking...
And they could easily use dozens of additional audio clips from the film. Way too many memorable lines are MIA.

It's the whole package. He did a phenomenal job with JJP POTC without much asset wise to work with.

Alien, imho, is the best sound/audio package of any pinball machine and its not even close. It's how its all orchestrated.

David, Aurich, Ferret and Florida coder (can't think of name) here in the states did an awesome job to bring that game together.

Yes we will see more in the future.

The IMMERSION level is something you just can't cut and paste and throw shit together.

My reference points are the multiple slot machines that are done so well. Let's see where this ends up but its got a LONG ways to go and JJP has delivered in the past so let's see.

#1376 4 years ago

You're gonna just love the typography discussion over in the "reveal" thread!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willy-wonka-reveal-details/page/25#post-4947815

That's all absolutely accurate and relevant. It's a discussion of design. That's not the same as getting hung up over what hand someone can use to do something.

#1377 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's the whole package. He did a phenomenal job with JJP POTC without much asset wise to work with.
Alien, imho, is the best sound/audio package of any pinball machine and its not even close. It's how its all orchestrated.
David, Aurich, Ferret and Florida coder (can't think of name) here in the states did an awesome job to bring that game together.
Yes we will see more in the future.
The IMMERSION level is something you just can't cut and paste and throw shit together.
My reference points are the multiple slot machines that are done so well. Let's see where this ends up but its got a LONG ways to go and JJP has delivered in the past so let's see.

Agree. David Thiel is a master at creating pinball music and sounds.

The video below is of David Thiel talking about creating music and sounds for Hobbit. At one point he talks about taking a licensed song, The Old Friends theme, and creating several variants of it. He also talks about avoiding looping in music, implementing dialogue, pulling sounds from assets, etc. The quantity, variety, and quality of music / sounds put into games by David Thiel has been incredible. He knows how to create custom pinball sounds, music as well as leveraging licensed assets and then tying it to specific modes and events in game. It's a huge bummer that he's no longer at JJP.

On a side note I think The Hobbit may go down as David Thiels magnum opus, his master work.

If you watch anything from the video I posted above check out the section below where David talks about creating several variants of a licensed track to get more mileage out of it. Incredible stuff.

#1378 4 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

David said why he went with deeproot. It's in his 3 hour interview with buffalo pinball. 3 year guaranteed contract.

Oh I know exactly why, but as I said, his business.

Quoted from iceman44:

Florida = Brian Dominy

#1379 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Oh I know exactly why, but as I said, his business.

Florida = Brian Dominy

Ahhh yes, Brian. Working on remake and updated code

#1380 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ahhh yes, Brian. Working on remake and updated code

Could be. I’m not involved is all I can say for sure.

#1381 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's all absolutely accurate and relevant. It's a discussion of design. That's not the same as getting hung up over what hand someone can use to do something.

I'd say both are accurate. There are people who are going to notice missing logo pieces because an artist was lazy or careless and there are people who are going to notice that Lily Munster, after fifty years, has suddenly started carrying a candle in the wrong hand because the artist decided she looked better that way or was lazy or careless.

As to how relevant either discussion happens to be, the vast majority of people aren't going to notice or care about these sorts of things, so there's that...

I'm sure you've heard of or seen lists of "gaffs" in movies. Things that go missing from scene to scene, hairstyles that change from one minute to the next, etc., etc. Some notice; most don't. Some care; most don't. Some care enough that they maintain the lists!

#1382 4 years ago

I'd say both are accurate. There are people who are going to notice missing logo pieces because an artist was lazy or careless and there are people who are going to notice that Lily Munster, after fifty years, has suddenly started carrying a candle in the wrong hand because the artist decided she looked better that way or was lazy or careless.

Are you kidding me....are you seriously insinuating that a person can’t use either hand to carry an object?!?! Specific hand candle holding isn’t a fucking character defining trait of Lily Munster FFS!! Just stop, seriously....

#1383 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Are you kidding me....are you seriously insinuating that a person can’t use either hand to carry an object?!?! Specific hand candle holding isn’t a fucking character defining trait of Lily Munster FFS!! Just stop, seriously....

When you open the door to your home, or to your car, do you use your right hand or your left? What hand do you use to drink a cup of coffee or a soda? Your right? Suddenly, one morning, you're just going to decide to use your left hand instead? A few ambidextrous persons aside, it's just not what people do. What hand does Gene Wilder use to walk with the cane when he's greeting the Lucky Ticket Winners at the factory? His right? If I decide to paint him, instead, with the cane in his left hand, no one is going to notice?

#1384 4 years ago

When you open the door to your home, or to your car, do you use your right hand or your left? What hand do you use to drink a cup of coffee or a soda? Your right? Suddenly, one morning, you're just going to decide to use your left hand instead? A few ambidextrous persons aside, it's just not what people do. What hand does Gene Wilder use to walk with the cane when he's greeting the Lucky Ticket Winners at the factory? His right? If I decide to paint him, instead, with the cane in his left hand, no one is going to notice?

Wow pinside has hit a new low lately, can't find a thread not filled with useless blabber, who the F$%K cares.

On that note in regards to your picture on your profile I am fairly certain that no one in their right mind would pull a golden ticket out of a wonka bar with their right hand while holding it with their left. Just no way that ever would happen in reality! Not to mention who would risk pulling that golden ticket out without fully unwrapping the candy bar so as not to risk tearing the golden ticket, just craziness. I'm going to have to leave now before my mind blows up with all these deep thoughts!

#1385 4 years ago

If the artists put the gobstopper in his right hand, it would be less noticeable in a line up of games since it would be closer to the back.

All that said, I’m really not following what we’re talking about. I just felt like weighing in without knowing what’s going on.

#1386 4 years ago

snip
The Dahl estate had a lot of pull with this project - they even removed the word "Brat" from the game.
snip

What are you talking about? I see "collect BRAT" right there above "1 2 3 4 ?". Watch at 15:56:

I was about to get somewhat miffed about insane censorship. Gotta remember I'm on the Internet here. ;-p

Thanks to those who have the OCD to notice mis-handing characters! It's cool to catch little anomalies like that. I always liked watching the bloopers and "errors" mini-movies in the "extras" of DVD movies and TV shows. It certainly doesn't ruin anything for me. There really isn't much else to discuss about these machines that none of us can even have for at least two months, right?

#1387 4 years ago
Quoted from captainBR:

What are you talking about? I see "collect BRAT" right there above "1 2 3 4 ?". Watch at 15:56.

Prototype playfield. I believe it is changed for production

#1388 4 years ago

I hope they keep "collect BRAT". She was a brat, and that was a big part of the movie.

#1389 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Agree. David Thiel is a master at creating pinball music and sounds.
The video below is of David Thiel talking about creating music and sounds for Hobbit. At one point he talks about taking a licensed song, The Old Friends theme, and creating several variants of it. He also talks about avoiding looping in music, implementing dialogue, pulling sounds from assets, etc. The quantity, variety, and quality of music / sounds put into games by David Thiel has been incredible. He knows how to create custom pinball sounds, music as well as leveraging licensed assets and then tying it to specific modes and events in game. It's a huge bummer that he's no longer at JJP.
On a side note I think The Hobbit may go down as David Thiels magnum opus, his master work.

If you watch anything from the video I posted above check out the section below where David talks about creating several variants of a licensed track to get more mileage out of it. Incredible stuff.

Do you have a timestamp? Both videos seem to cue at the beginning.

#1390 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Do you have a timestamp? Both videos seem to cue at the beginning.

They should start at specific times but I may have messed something up copying the link over. First video starts at 7:30 and the second at 18:50.

#1391 4 years ago

Were the magnets operational on these proto games? I didn't see what looked like any magnet action in these vids.

#1392 4 years ago

I do not recall any magnet movement of the balls as they rolled over the candy trails. There's a good chance the magnets were either turned way down or off for MGC, however, to help save on ball movement and reduce play field damage. I know for a fact that the flippers were turned down when the tables were moved out to the main show floor. I played the table in the reveal room and they were super snappy. Out on the show floor, they were sluggish.

BRAT has been removed for commercial production. I hope they offer a code switch for us to change later - I'd rather see "Brat" multiball than "Kid multiball."

There's sounds from the gobstopper machine in the game, specifically, there's the "phhhht" fart-ish sounding noise during the score tally at the end of each ball as it calculates bonuses.

More sounds are coming, they're not done with the code yet.

#1393 4 years ago

I do not recall any magnet movement of the balls as they rolled over the candy trails. There's a good chance the magnets were either turned way down or off for MGC, however, to help save on ball movement and reduce play field damage. I know for a fact that the flippers were turned down when the tables were moved out to the main show floor. I played the table in the reveal room and they were super snappy. Out on the show floor, they were sluggish.
BRAT has been removed for commercial production. I hope they offer a code switch for us to change later - I'd rather see "Brat" multiball than "Kid multiball."
There's sounds from the gobstopper machine in the game, specifically, there's the "phhhht" fart-ish sounding noise during the score tally at the end of each ball as it calculates bonuses.
More sounds are coming, they're not done with the code yet.

I am going to correct you. The flippers were NOT turned down between the reveal and the game floor. I moved them (along with my brother). The power grid for the revealnis a different grid then the game floor. I am not sure why they felt weaker, but it was not a Jersey induced condition.

Carry on people...

#1394 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

I am going to correct you. The flippers were NOT turned down between the reveal and the game floor. I moved them (along with my brother). The power grid for the revealnis a different grid then the game floor. I am not sure why they felt weaker, but it was not a Jersey induced condition.
Carry on people...

Got it. So there WAS a difference in flipper feel, then. Not due to settings, but rather incoming power. Thanks for the clarification.

Chris, were the play field magnets turned on?

#1395 4 years ago

Well, Chris was gyrating suggestively in front of them.

LTG : )

#1396 4 years ago

Got it. So there WAS a difference in flipper feel, then. Not due to settings, but rather incoming power. Thanks for the clarification.

i am not sure on this, but i would have no reason to suspect that they were not on.

#1397 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

i am not sure on this, but i would have no reason to suspect that they were not on.

There was very little evidence of them doing anything other than at hr 1:53+ min mark when lawlor was playing he gets a crazy drain and comments on it.

#1398 4 years ago
Quoted from drained:

There was very little evidence of them doing anything other than at hr 1:53+ min mark when lawlor was playing he gets a crazy drain and comments on it.

I asked like 6 people standing around me at the afterparty who had all put significant time in on the table, and not one of them could recall the magnets ever influencing the ball path. Maybe we just didn't do something to trigger their use?

#1399 4 years ago

I asked like 6 people standing around me at the afterparty who had all put significant time in on the table, and not one of them could recall the magnets ever influencing the ball path. Maybe we just didn't do something to trigger their use?

I am in the same camp, looking for some kinda answer on them. I disected the streams like a wierdo, only could find one instance of a movement and a single comment. With there being 6 mags on the field I hope there is more to them just than the random seldom movement. I know Lawlor loves mags, was hoping to see some DI type movement.. afraid they are not strong enough or poorly located. Hope it's just a code issue.

Could be deal breaker for me on buying.. I love magnents.

#1400 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Well, Chris was gyrating suggestively in front of them.
LTG : )

Always a hoot Lloyd!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Mccordsville, IN
There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtgt-wonka-is-coming-whos-in/page/28?hl=acaciolo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.