824E045A-9C5F-4708-A0CC-8643870B96ED (resized).jpeg
F5FBD34F-2E04-40A0-8039-F9CCCDB65107 (resized).jpeg
A3D38C6A-CB2D-4959-BAB5-D9703DC40AEA (resized).png
66A36E31-E4F7-49A3-BF9A-CD50FDF55F01 (resized).jpeg
slingpost1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190625_160834 (resized).jpg
ccc06.gif
ccc07.gif
There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 46.
#1301 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I don't. People asked for a cheaper machine, and they got an option for one now. JJP made the necessary changes to make it cheaper. You can't have it both ways. Do you want all of the glory that JJP has to offer in a machine? Or do you want a cheaper machine?

I want a cheaper LE.
7a0 (resized).jpg7a0 (resized).jpg

#1302 5 years ago

I just hope JJP goes back to designs with upper or lower play fields that are innovative in the future. WONKA is fine the way it is, but I like the extra challenge in an upper play field like JJPOTC and WOZ. WONKA is a fun game to play with smooth shots. It seems that Pat stayed clear of playfield holes that would need cliffys to keep them from chipping. The gobstopper hole is not part of the wood play field. The saucer areas should be fine. The wonkavator VUK "might" need something, but only gets used once in a great while. I forgot to look at that more closely.

#1303 5 years ago

I’m really liking what I have seen so far. The game looks really fun! Only thing I wish it had, to build on the mini playfield point KingBW made, would have been awesome to have an upper playfield and have the river of chocolate tube be integrated as a vuk or something.

Anyhow not complaining, I’m loving it so far, can’t wait to play one!

#1304 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Sterns gobstopper would have been printed on flat plastic, mounted on a spring from a bic pen, and have screws all over the front of it.

That is a stupid "fanboy" statement making any further argument from you invalid.

Quoted from f3honda4me:

I don't. People asked for a cheaper machine, and they got an option for one now. JJP made the necessary changes to make it cheaper. You can't have it both ways. Do you want all of the glory that JJP has to offer in a machine? Or do you want a cheaper machine?

LOL you also are spouting off fanboy shit instead of looking at it in reality talking about "all the glory". No for a $9500 LE I want all of the innovation, toys, and creativity that was put into POTC, WOZ, TH, and DI. For $7500 this one still can't even compete against Okt, ACHC, or any Stern Premium. The only thing this machine has going for it is the layout which looks amazing and fun but nothing else screams this pin is worth $9500 or $12,500. Those of you with unlimited money more power to you for spending it without a thought of reality.

Anyways I'm not going to sit here and argue with fanboys all day long. I gave my thoughts and pointed out the facts so I won't keep beating a dead horse and posting every 4th or 5th post like some do about how great it is.

#1305 5 years ago

"No Gene on the SE because it would cost too much" doesn't seem to make much sense. They're making 5,000 LEs with Gene on the side.

Let's say the Wonkavator costs $500 for sake of argument. Do you think the Gene decals make up the remaining $1,500 difference between the SE and LE, and even if it did, you think JJP would pass 100% of those savings on to SE customers? No.

#1306 5 years ago
Quoted from britrex1:

That is a stupid "fanboy" statement making any further argument from you invalid.

....words....blah....words....blah....

Interesting that this "fanboy" aslo owns Three Stern games...one of which is IMDN that does in fact use cheap ass printed flat pastics with screws all over them.

Who is the fanboy? Get yourself a mirror.

#1307 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I just hope JJP goes back to designs with upper or lower play fields that are innovative in the future.

I'm in the opposite camp. I want to play pinball on the main playfield, not on a small playfield in the back corner!

That was the main reason I got rid of WoZ. Too much mini playfield action in the back of the game where the goal is to keep the ball up there. Not for me.

#1308 5 years ago

The LE stands for Luxury Edition. Better?

Quoted from Pinhead1982:

I was going to get a CE- but my main concern is like the other games JJP has released - they keep adding to the Editions
WOZ- Emerald, Ruby Red, Yellow Brick Road
Hobbit - Smaug, Black Arrow
WONKA- 50th Ann coming up- I see another edition coming.
5000 LE is not limited! They should be renamed.

#1309 5 years ago
Quoted from britrex1:

Might be more elaborate but that doesn't equate to fun and it looks terribly uninspired. Also it's the only mech in the machine. I mean whoohoo the enormously giant out of place gobstopper spun! So much fun!

Gary is that you or just a Stern fanboy?

#1310 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Gary is that you or just a Stern fanboy?

HAHAHA! Try to come up with an original thought that joke is very old.

#1311 5 years ago
Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

"No Gene on the SE because it would cost too much" doesn't seem to make much sense. They're making 5,000 LEs with Gene on the side.
Let's say the Wonkavator costs $500 for sake of argument. Do you think the Gene decals make up the remaining $1,500 difference between the SE and LE, and even if it did, you think JJP would pass 100% of those savings on to SE customers? No.

Did you forget about the other LE addins? Shaker, invisiglass, powder coating, etc?

#1312 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Interesting that this "fanboy" aslo owns Three Stern games...one of which is IMDN that does in fact use cheap ass printed flat pastics with screws all over them.
Who is the fanboy? Get yourself a mirror.

So now your comparing a $5300 pro version of IMDN to a $7500 Wonka? I am no fanboy of any company I criticize all machines accordingly but usually only speak up about the ones that I am/was interested in. I'm sorry that bothers you but if you want to compare things at least keep the comparisons similar.

#1313 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

It is the luxury edition....

I wondered the same but when I check JJPs own website they call it the "Limited Edition"

Screenshot_2019-04-16-12-39-56 (resized).pngScreenshot_2019-04-16-12-39-56 (resized).png
#1314 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

But it disappears and goes behind the wonkavator ...?

Yes. I don't understand why you're arguing with me.

#1315 5 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

$8,500 for Hobbit LE and Smaug. Always have been.
Just sayin'

Nope. Pre-orders were $7500. Just sayin’.

#1316 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Did you forget about the other LE addins? Shaker, invisiglass, powder coating, etc?

To add. We just don’t know if/what additional licensing cost that WB/Dahl Family charges for each image of Gene/WW that is put on the cabinet. He’s on the front around the door (SE/LE/CE) where most people will see him. For the SE, this is probably strategic positioning for an operator who typically would have WW inserted in a line of machines (thus limiting side visibility). This allows the player to see Gene’s image as they walk up to it and put their coins in.

It then logically makes sense to limit WW image on the SE to reduce licensing costs since JJP has to pass the licensing cost on to the buyer. I don’t believe the cost of the physical decal is in question of raising the price significantly. Also, it allows lower barriers to entry for buyers and compete with competitive pricing.

Disclaimer: Just making assumptions. I am not an expert in marketing or a lawyer in marketing licensing. I like to play one on TV or after staying at a Holiday Inn Express.

#1317 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I don't want to speak for bigd1979, but I am guessing it is because in the only pic floating around of that area on an SE, it is so dark you can't see the hole in the backboard or the wireform coming out of it. On the LE and CE versions that area of the backboard is yellow and lit up, so you can clearly see it.

That being said...I believe you!

#1318 5 years ago

Arguing is pointless. Enjoy your games.

#1319 5 years ago

I don’t know how to rep people on this site or if that’s even a feature here , but well said Aurich !

#1320 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

What some of you don't seem to understand is that competitors offer great art in this price range. Many of us love and expect great art at $7500. Just because Gene's face might cost more doesn't mean they can't create alternative art. It's absolute BS. I am 100% in if they improve the art and 100% out if they don't. I'm giving my opinion, just as you are. I'm NOT bitching.

Gene's face doesnt cost more. I highly doubt there is any cost related to that.

Some games hide behind great art. Awesome art and not much in terms of everything else. Standing in front of Wonka, it blows away the other games in the same price range in terms of gameplay, looks, code, and features.

But you're entitled to choose buy it or not. LE and CE look really nice. SE will earn well on location. There had to be a deterrent from the majority of games shifting to the SE. Don't hold your breath on that art changing. It won't and I don't blame them.

#1321 5 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

Some games hide behind great art. Awesome art and not much in terms of everything else. Standing in front of Wonka, it blows away the other games in the same price range in terms of gameplay, looks, code, and features.
But you're entitled to choose buy it or not. LE and CE look really nice. SE will earn well on location. There had to be a deterrent from the majority of games shifting to the SE. Don't hold your breath on that art changing. It won't and I don't blame them.

We'll see about that. If it comes to selling no game or an SE, we might see some changes. The art doesn't have to be as good as the others. It just has to be more than text. Stern doesn't have an issue giving good art to pro customers. I doubt I'm alone in the art camp. I will vote with my wallet: no art, no buy!

#1322 5 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

I have no clue if it does, but there is always the possibility that it does cost more
- JJP would have to deal with Dahl estate as well as the studio and
there are often some crazy hoops licensees have to go through

Just look at the restriction on using the word Brat

#1323 5 years ago

Just put something on the side of the standard.

#1324 5 years ago
Quoted from britrex1:

So now your comparing a $5300 pro version of IMDN to a $7500 Wonka? I am no fanboy of any company I criticize all machines accordingly but usually only speak up about the ones that I am/was interested in. I'm sorry that bothers you but if you want to compare things at least keep the comparisons similar.

Oh, that's right. If you buy the Prem/LE, they include action figures from the dollar store. My bad.

#1325 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Oh, that's right. If you buy the Prem/LE, they include action figures from the dollar store. My bad.

I like you gliebig. You speak of wisdom and truth.

#1326 5 years ago

Which dollar store can I find Iron Maiden figures? I'd buy those!

#1327 5 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I have no clue if it does, but there is always the possibility that it does cost more
- JJP would have to deal with Dahl estate as well as the studio and
there are often some crazy hoops licensees have to go through
Just look at the restriction on using the word Brat

Munchkins.

#1328 5 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

Which dollar store can I find Iron Maiden figures? I'd buy those!

It's on the corner of Gary & Nickel Dime street.

#1329 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I just hope JJP goes back to designs with upper or lower play fields that are innovative in the future. WONKA is fine the way it is, but I like the extra challenge in an upper play field like JJPOTC and WOZ. WONKA is a fun game to play with smooth shots. It seems that Pat stayed clear of playfield holes that would need cliffys to keep them from chipping. The gobstopper hole is not part of the wood play field. The saucer areas should be fine. The wonkavator VUK "might" need something, but only gets used once in a great while. I forgot to look at that more closely.

To me, you get the additional gameplay of an upper pf and more with the 2 upper flippers. Because the left one shoots all the way across the game and it's a great shot when it hits that little loop to the saucer hole (which probably will need a cliffy). It also hits the gum targets. The right one sends the ball up a ramp which is also more satisfying than hitting a target on an upper playfield. I really like what he did there.

The ball is on the ramps a lot on this game, which are long and curvy, so you also get that feeling of the ball being on a higher level quite a bit as well.

#1330 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Arguing is pointless. Enjoy your games.

I couldn't agree more which is why I don't speak my opinion very often.

#1331 5 years ago
Quoted from britrex1:

I couldn't agree more which is why I don't speak my opinion very often.

And we thank you.

I kid, I kid. I just couldn't help myself.

#1332 5 years ago

I'm in on LE. First JJP game.

Lord hear my prayer.... For better or worse I'm all in like the sucker buying that bridge.

#1333 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Lord hear my prayer.... For better or worse I'm all in like the sucker buying that bridge.

You are wise man. JJP makes a great pinball for sure.

#1334 5 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

The lack of art is ABSOLUTELY a deterrent for home buyers. We all know this.

Yes side art is great if you have a game that is on the end of the line, but some games are jammed together so the art doesn't matter in that case for me. I'd rather have a stunning playfield to look at.

#1335 5 years ago

Has there been any mention as to when pictures of the actual version of the pin will be released, including the powder-coated wireforms to show a little more differentiation between models? I'd like to see what the LE looks like with the blue, and the CE with the red.

#1336 5 years ago

WOAH HEY NEW PINBALL!
I love pinball. This looks rad. Can't wait to play it.

#1337 5 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

I'd like to see what the LE looks like with the blue, and the CE with the red.

Not to mention the CE’s playfield, apron, and PinBlades — all different than the LE. During the reveal, it was stated they were waiting on approval from Warner Bros. I believe they said it was going to be a couple of weeks.

#1338 5 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get a wonka flyer?

#1339 5 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

To me, you get the additional gameplay of an upper pf and more with the 2 upper flippers. Because the left one shoots all the way across the game and it's a great shot when it hits that little loop to the saucer hole (which probably will need a cliffy). It also hits the gum targets. The right one sends the ball up a ramp which is also more satisfying than hitting a target on an upper playfield. I really like what he did there.
The ball is on the ramps a lot on this game, which are long and curvy, so you also get that feeling of the ball being on a higher level quite a bit as well.

Agreed. That's why I said Wonka is fine, but didn't want to get too wordy. That JJPOTC ship though … That is a great use of an upper playfield and there is plenty of used real estate underneath it. Love that. Your description of Wonka above is spot on for the top half of the playfield and the upper flipper use. Having designs that are very different from JJP is good.

#1340 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Huh? It was a question? Lol

#1341 5 years ago

what is a Bugatti?????

I got a viper or two...Does that count???

20180422_195915 (resized).jpg20180422_195915 (resized).jpg20160907_191148 (resized).jpeg20160907_191148 (resized).jpeg20170513_140323 (resized).jpg20170513_140323 (resized).jpg20170421_190555 (resized).jpg20170421_190555 (resized).jpg20160407_231045 (resized).jpeg20160407_231045 (resized).jpeg20160907_192647(1) (resized).jpeg20160907_192647(1) (resized).jpeg
#1342 5 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

what is a Bugatti?????
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I can't believe your license plate frames aren't powder coated.

#1343 5 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

what is a Bugatti?????
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

19 mill Bugatti. Nice Vipers..

#1344 5 years ago

Sold to a happy Pinsider, who only buys CEs... Was that you, Frankmac?!

#1345 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Sold to a happy Pinsider, who only buys CEs... Was that you, Frankmac?!

No sir! That’s a lot of money!!

#1346 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I like the Collectors Edition, two thumbs up to Jersey Jack! But, I’ve always thought that it was going to be a purple pinball like Willy Wonka’s suit instead of red.

#1347 5 years ago

I think the crappy art on the SE is a great opportunity for someone to come up with a Radicals type art package, mirrored Backglass, blades, etc, not exactly Wonka but inspired by it and possibly much nicer art.

#1348 5 years ago

Or just enjoy the game the way it is. That's what I would do.

Quoted from Vdrums:

I think the crappy art on the SE is a great opportunity for someone to come up with a Radicals type art package, mirrored Backglass, blades, etc, not exactly Wonka but inspired by it and possibly much nicer art.

#1349 5 years ago

I think the red CE looks fantastic, breaks up all of the purple and goes well with Willy's hat.

#1350 5 years ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:I like the Collectors Edition, two thumbs up to Jersey Jack! But, I’ve always thought that it was going to be a purple pinball like Willy Wonka’s suit instead of red.

The red in person is phenomenal looking. It may be JJP’s nicest trim yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.50
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 32.99
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtgt-wonka-is-coming-whos-in/page/27?hl=drained and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.