824E045A-9C5F-4708-A0CC-8643870B96ED (resized).jpeg
F5FBD34F-2E04-40A0-8039-F9CCCDB65107 (resized).jpeg
A3D38C6A-CB2D-4959-BAB5-D9703DC40AEA (resized).png
66A36E31-E4F7-49A3-BF9A-CD50FDF55F01 (resized).jpeg
slingpost1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190625_160834 (resized).jpg
ccc06.gif
ccc07.gif
There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 46.
#1251 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Did you guys see Supreme? Now that is ridiculous. At least there is some art here! Who looks at the sides in a collection anyhow?

LOL. We aren't buying some Supreme BS. Thankfully.

If you are buying a Standard for home do you really want that disgrace for art?

If you are an Op, who cares right?

#1252 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

No way! That elevator addition is overrated in my opinion. It's not a toy like the gumball machine - it's basically a giant clear VUK. I would be perfectly fine without it.
Now that standard art.... Yikes

It works similar to tz gumball .. diverter in the right orbit that sends it to a vuk that shoots it up and holds it until 3 balls are locked depending on setting. I think its a very nice touch especially with the 2 rgb flashers and 7-8 other rgb lights makes a nice effect. Its cool seeing the locked balls there also. I really like the way the middle ramp goes behind the backboard and disappears. Is it worth the extra money ...well that's in the eye of the beholder just like pinstadiums, color dmd and any other upgrades. I think overall with that and all the sexy powder coated things , shaker, invisaglass, better art and backglass and volume /headphone jack that it is.

#1253 5 years ago

I really think the art issue is overblown, bigtime.

You're all missing the point that you can now get into a full-fledged JJP experience for $7500 which is a lot cheaper than it used to be. Something has to give to differentiate it from the LE.

If you hate the art so much, go upscale to LE or CE, or just don't buy it at all! Whining about it is getting old.

#1254 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

LOL. We aren't buying some Supreme BS. Thankfully.
If you are buying a Standard for home do you really want that disgrace for art?

I dunno, Ice. In a typical home collection, this will probably go in the middle somewhere, in which case the main real estate is the playfield and LCD. So I really don't think it is bad, certainly not the reason upgrade to an LE. If there is something in gameplay that stands out on the LE, then maybe you're talking. But that upper lock isn't really on the level of the gumball machine in TZ.

#1255 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

center ramp is located differently and looks like some other things? It wld be like tz without the gumball machine and vuk.

Ramps are identical in placement, design, everything.

#1256 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

You're all missing the point that you can now get into a full-fledged JJP experience for $7500 which is a lot cheaper than it used to be. Something has to give to differentiate it from the LE.
If you hate the art so much, go upscale to LE or CE, or just don't buy it at all! Whining about it is getting old.

While the art isn't all that great we are now getting a JJP game for a stern premium price and this is certainly something to celebrate. Sometimes its easy to miss the forest due to the trees though.

I'll take great gameplay and mechs all day everyday. I'm excited to get to play this soon.

#1257 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Pulling in ops was clearly the intent, but also enough to potentially attract some first time JJP home customers.

JJP has the opportunity to show well with SE too, just finish making the package consistent for home and location.

#1258 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I dunno, Ice. In a typical home collection, this will probably go in the middle somewhere, in which case the main real estate is the playfield and LCD. So I really don't think it is bad, certainly not the reason upgrade to an LE. If there is something in gameplay that stands out on the LE, then maybe you're talking. But that upper lock isn't really on the level of the gumball machine in TZ.

Oh yeah, totally agree, there is nothing on the LE or CE that really stands out. The upper Wonkavator lock to me is TSPP lite.

I could squeeze the standard tight in between pins and you would never see the crappy artwork!

Standard is the right pick but so many will pick sexier game just because. Like myself. Because i'm an idiot.

#1259 5 years ago

Great review of the overall rule direction and some great pictures.... looks like a lot of modes and ways to approach the game

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory-deep-dive-overview-rules-features-images-more/

#1260 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Ramps are identical in placement, design, everything.

But it disappears and goes behind the wonkavator ...?

#1261 5 years ago

CE thank you.

#1262 5 years ago

If i didn't want the ball lock and extra bling/ upgrades ..i have no issue with the standard art and wld own it no problem

#1263 5 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

CE thank you.

Well, why not? Our cars devalue more the instant we buy them, unless you have a Bugatti. I wonder how many Pinsiders have Bugattis...

#1264 5 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

While the art isn't all that great we are now getting a JJP game for a stern premium price and this is certainly something to celebrate. Sometimes its easy to miss the forest due to the trees though.
I'll take great gameplay and mechs all day everyday. I'm excited to get to play this soon.

Totally agree.. jjp standard offers so much more than most/any stern premium imo

#1265 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

+100

Same guys posting complaints over and over.

Looking forward to the club thread. Wonka is going to have a huge following and that thread will be awesome.

#1266 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Let the hypesters pre-order....they'll get bored of it as they always do, chase the next new shiny...you get to buy a used one, save money & tax! Win win!

I am on the fence with this...I have an LE on order but history has shown that JJP LE drops at least 1k in a year. If I get charged tax then I am probably going to wait and get one on the secondary market for hopefully around 8500. It will be interesting to see If the SE will hold their value. Stern premiums seem to take a smaller depreciation vs JJP LE because of their price point. Also there seems to be sweet spot to pick up JJPs on the secondary before the code is finished.

#1267 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

+100
Looking forward to the club thread. Wonka is going to have a huge following and that thread will be awesome.

Well you and Zaph haven't been around very long.

#1268 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

+100

There is already a club thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wwcf-club-wonka-golden-tickets-inside

#1269 5 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

I am on the fence with this...I have an LE on order but history has shown that JJP LE drops at least 1k in a year. If I get charged tax then I am probably going to wait and get one on the secondary market for hopefully around 8500. It will be interesting to see If the SE will hold their value. Stern premiums seem to take a smaller depreciation vs JJP LE because of their price point. Also there seems to be sweet spot to pick up JJPs on the secondary before the code is finished.

All these expensive pins take a hit .. stern pros 600-800 off the bat, stern premiums 800-1200
Jjp le 1-1500 depending on title
So many new pins and higher prices and its only gonna get worse. If someone cares so much they sld definitely wait for a used . I wait if i know its a pin i wont keep long term but i love jjp and pat pins so ill buy new.

#1270 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well you and Zaph haven't been around very long.

So?

#1271 5 years ago

So? Instead of being a JJP sycophant you might be a little bit objective but that's not possible because some of you guys haven't been through the JJP experience from day one.

See BigD post above.

#1272 5 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

So a spinning piece of plastic that isn't even interactive and a hole that opens up are better mech's than which Stern premiums?

#1273 5 years ago
Quoted from britrex1:

So a spinning piece of plastic that isn't even interactive and a hole that opens up are better mech's than which Stern premiums?

Better or the same than most.

#1274 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So? Instead of being a JJP sycophant you might be a little bit objective but that's not possible because some of you guys haven't been through the JJP experience from day one.
See BigD post above.

Ice, I'll forgive you for insulting another Pinsider, but only if you sell me your Alien. I've been in the hobby 20 years if that helps, especially with a good price.

#1275 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Ice, I'll forgive you for insulting another Pinsider, but only if you sell me your Alien. I've been in the hobby 20 years if that helps, especially with a good price.

LOL, you will get to buy an Alien remake soon enough!

#1276 5 years ago

The gobstopper mech is a target angled to the PF that the ball hits. Below it is a PF piece that spins to reveal a hole, you now hit the same target as before to send the ball into. The target spins a gobstopper on top when hit. The hole spins back away to close up after a ball goes down and into a subway.

This is more elaborate than most stern mechs.

#1277 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

LOL, you will get to buy an Alien remake soon enough!

Man, I hope so.

#1278 5 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Making art uniform around the cabinet doesn’t have to cost a thing other than a decision.
Plain Jane the whole thing or add art.
Pretty simple.

How do you know for sure??? I was thinking exactly what f3honda4me stated. Leaving Wilder off the SE could have saved them license money per machine. Could have been done to help make it so much cheaper then the LE.
I agree it's one big negative for the SE but couldn't we get someone to scan their LE art and have decals printed for just a couple bucks? The cab artwork doesn't bother me much but the Translite does. BIG TIME!!

#1279 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

All these expensive pins take a hit .. stern pros 600-800 off the bat, stern premiums 800-1200
So many new pins and higher prices and its only gonna get worse. If someone cares so much they sld definitely wait for a used . I wait if i know its a pin i wont keep long term but i love jjp and pat pins so ill buy new.

I am with you on all of it. My backup plan is knowing that a distributor in a neighboring state doesn’t collect taxes in my state and that is probably what I will do. I have said to a couple of friends the only regret I have is not buying in the secondary, but there is nothing like opening a NIB.

#1280 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

The gobstopper mech is a target angled to the PF that the ball hits. Below it is a PF piece that spins to reveal a hole, you now hit the same target as before to send the ball into. The target spins a gobstopper on top when hit. The hole spins back away to close up after a ball goes down and into a subway.
This is more elaborate than most stern mechs.

Might be more elaborate but that doesn't equate to fun and it looks terribly uninspired. Also it's the only mech in the machine. I mean whoohoo the enormously giant out of place gobstopper spun! So much fun!

#1281 5 years ago
Quoted from britrex1:

Might be more elaborate but that doesn't equate to fun and it looks terribly uninspired. Also it's the only mech in the machine. I mean whoohoo the enormously giant out of place gobstopper spun! So much fun!

Actually it is quite fun. Also wonkavator not a mech? Diverter to magnet? Etc.

But I guess you played it this weekend and didn’t enjoy it. That’s ok there are other threads with other machines to go enjoy.

#1282 5 years ago
Quoted from britrex1:

Wonkavator lock? Also a subway ball lock under gobstopper? Lots of diverters ,3 ramps and 4 flippers with lots of shots. Tons of magnets and some saucers. The mech under the gobstopper is essentially a bash toy. Yep its horrible and is so boring none will sell most likely

#1283 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Actually it is quite fun. Also wonkavator not a mech? Diverter to magnet? Etc.
But I guess you played it this weekend and didn’t enjoy it. That’s ok there are other threads with other machines to go enjoy.

Wonkavator is not in the SE that you are comparing to other pins at the same price point!

Also no I haven't played it yet I am just disappointed in the overall machine as compared to previous JJP pins. The whole argument for the price of the previous JJP pins was that they were widebody pins and packed with so much more innovation and toys then they reveal this pin with half of what it's predecessors had and the only price point they lower is the SE which they also removed the Wonkavator ball lock, have basic trim, and basically did a big FU on the artwork and you don't see anything wrong with that?

#1284 5 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

You're all missing the point that you can now get into a full-fledged JJP experience for $7500 which is a lot cheaper than it used to be

Um, WOZECLE was $6500. Hobbit LE & Smaug Edition were $7500. Just sayin’.

#1285 5 years ago

And I also didn’t like some other stuff you did in 2011...

#1286 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

This is a pin I want, early reviews are combination of WOZ and DI. I have both and this sounds great to me. As rare has said once the new has worn off people will be selling; should I wait and pick up an early adopters. How much is the NIB process worth to me, is it worth 1k. As Iceman says we are moths drawn to the NIB experience and am I willing to be burnt by it...probably

Edit iceman44 I know you never said the moth statement, I was just taking liberties with your past posts. If you want me to change it just let me know.

#1287 5 years ago

The player: "We don't need all this extra crap. All I care about is game play. Powder coating, toppers, and art don't add value. I just want to shoot it."

JJP gives you that with the SE and now you've become...

The collector: "Why isn't there better side art on this thing?"

So get an LE.

JJP can't afford to have a massive shift to the SE pricing. The margins are lower (for JJP and Distributors) on the SE model. It's meant for being put on location (in a row of games), or for folks that want a great game, but can't get up to the LE price range. As is, the SE stands out against similarly priced competition. Art isn't as good, but just about everything else is better (subjective opinion). The lack of art is ABSOLUTELY a deterrent for home buyers. We all know this.

I get that it's expensive. We would all love a $9,500 game for $5,000. We all want pricing to be what it was 6 years ago. There are lots of comments here telling JJP how to run their business. If you are such a business expert, you can probably afford an LE.

I'd like better art on the SE. That is partly why I purchased an LE instead. I get why they did it. I could have chosen to just not buy anything. People that want to own a JJP game should all be glad there is now a more affordable option, instead of this trite complaining about having a model that's now $2,000.00 less.

#1288 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Um, WOZECLE was $6500. Hobbit LE & Smaug Edition were $7500. Just sayin’.

Woz pricing was sold at a loss as the first JJP game (and b/c they didn't compromise on any costs of what is in the game) and not all WOZ ECLE's were sold at that price. Most were sold at $7,500. SEE: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-emerald-city-le-for-sale
Early WOZ pricing anomaly that can not be duplicated and not a model to use for what games should be priced at (for companies that want to stay in business long term). Not sustainable. WOZ LE is now $9,500.

$8,500 for Hobbit LE and Smaug. Always have been.

Just sayin'

#1289 5 years ago

Can't join a club for WWCF. Not sure what pin that is. It has to be the WONKA club!

#1290 5 years ago

I was going to get a CE- but my main concern is like the other games JJP has released - they keep adding to the Editions
WOZ- Emerald, Ruby Red, Yellow Brick Road
Hobbit - Smaug, Black Arrow

WONKA- 50th Ann coming up- I see another edition coming.

5000 LE is not limited! They should be renamed.

#1291 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

I was going to get a CE- but my main concern is like the other games JJP has released - they keep adding to the Editions

2021 is the 50th Anniversary of the WWCF film. It would only make sense that an all “Gold” ticket edition is being reserved for that date. Still curious to why red for CE was chosen over Purple or other more prevalent Wonka themed colors?

#1292 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Help me understand why it makes a difference? I'm buying a CE because of the extras it has in & on it. I think it's a lot to pay for those extras over an SE & LE, but it is what it is and fortunately I can afford it. However, why does it matter if JJP makes 100 or 1,000 CEs or other versions of WONKA? Resale value? I had an ECLE and it didn't bother me that JJP came out with RR & YBR. Both beautiful pins by the way. I ended up selling my ECLE after a few years and got out of it what I paid for it. Tough to beat getting to play a brand new pin for 2+ years for free. WONKA is for my wife so it will never be sold anyway.

No one has ever come to my house and said... That sure is a nice pin, but didn't they make like 1,000 of those? (or) It's not going to be worth anything in a few years because they came out with another version.

#1293 5 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Can't join a club for WWCF. Not sure what pin that is. It has to be the WONKA club!

#1294 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

It is the luxury edition....

#1295 5 years ago

What some of you don't seem to understand is that competitors offer great art in this price range. Many of us love and expect great art at $7500. Just because Gene's face might cost more doesn't mean they can't create alternative art. It's absolute BS. I am 100% in if they improve the art and 100% out if they don't. I'm giving my opinion, just as you are. I'm NOT bitching.

#1296 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

What some of you don't seem to understand is that competitors offer great art in this price range. Many of us love and expect great art at $7500. Just because Gene's face might cost more doesn't mean they can't create alternative art. It's absolute BS. I am 100% in if they improve the art and 100% out if they don't. I'm giving my opinion, just as you are. I'm NOT bitching.

I get that but the game and fun is on the playfield ... jjp standard offers much much more than a stern premium in that department.

#1297 5 years ago
Quoted from britrex1:

Sterns gobstopper would have been printed on flat plastic, mounted on a spring from a bic pen, and have screws all over the front of it.

#1298 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Sterns gobstopper would have been printed on flat plastic, mounted on a spring from a bic pen, and have screws all over the front of it.

So so true!

#1299 5 years ago
Quoted from britrex1:

Wonkavator is not in the SE that you are comparing to other pins at the same price point!
Also no I haven't played it yet I am just disappointed in the overall machine as compared to previous JJP pins. The whole argument for the price of the previous JJP pins was that they were widebody pins and packed with so much more innovation and toys then they reveal this pin with half of what it's predecessors had and the only price point they lower is the SE which they also removed the Wonkavator ball lock, have basic trim, and basically did a big FU on the artwork and you don't see anything wrong with that?

I don't. People asked for a cheaper machine, and they got an option for one now. JJP made the necessary changes to make it cheaper. You can't have it both ways. Do you want all of the glory that JJP has to offer in a machine? Or do you want a cheaper machine?

#1300 5 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

It is Wonka. The thread title was changed, but the link cannot be changed. Did you even click on the link? lol

Quoted from Tranquilize:

And those same competitors don't offer anywhere near as much pin for that $7500. The art is better, great, but falls short of Wonka on features, code, etc in many cases.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 64.00
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

9,600 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtgt-wonka-is-coming-whos-in/page/26?hl=freakyguy666 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.