824E045A-9C5F-4708-A0CC-8643870B96ED (resized).jpeg
F5FBD34F-2E04-40A0-8039-F9CCCDB65107 (resized).jpeg
A3D38C6A-CB2D-4959-BAB5-D9703DC40AEA (resized).png
66A36E31-E4F7-49A3-BF9A-CD50FDF55F01 (resized).jpeg
slingpost1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190625_160834 (resized).jpg
ccc06.gif
ccc07.gif

There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 46.
#1051 4 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

Where's the incredible interactive toy that the community demands from ....every ....single....Stern release ? A spinning gobstopper ? That it ? Did I miss something?
Not for me.
Cab art is cheap.
Sound would drive me insane, already was in stream, both the " my fair lady" stageshow music and the maniacal Wonka callouts.
Flow looks good.
Happy for people that want it though, enjoy.

Nope its the ball lock under that

#1052 4 years ago

Been watching stream for 3 hours
and it just looks so much fun to flip.
Excited to get some time in on this one.
Beautiful playfield.

#1053 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

...the Oompa loompa song haven't heard it yet in the game.

It’s used for the pop bumpers.

#1054 4 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Been watching stream for 3 hours
and it just looks so much fun to flip.
Excited to get some time in on this one.
Beautiful playfield.

I agree - I'm digging this game the more I watch it! Watching/listening to Joe Katz play it live right now is great. Looking forward to playing one!

#1055 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Nope its the ball lock under that

It's weak either way..... And I like the game but it's weak

#1056 4 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

It’s used for the pop bumpers.

I was hoping for a bit more - is there an Oompa multiball to get more of their songs in the game? If not, maybe it is going to be in a future code update. JJP is great on making frequent code updates with more modes, music, polish, etc.

#1057 4 years ago

Looks great! I really hated the movie as a kid, so dont like the theme, but the game looks cool.

#1058 4 years ago

This looks like a good game, and I expect it will sell well. I'm pleased that JJP is lowering the standard price. Look, we all love how JJP went balls-out on some of their builds, but there's a sweet spot between price and features. If you go too far one way or the other, you cut into sales. Stern sometimes goes too cheap, and it bites them. JJP sometimes goes too balls-out, and that's gotta be hard on a newer, smallish company. I love my PotC. Absolutely love it. It's my GOAT pin. But even my standard was a lot of freakin' money, and I think JJP realized they were pushing that envelope too much.

Dial back a *little* on features while still staying a solid notch above Stern in features at every tier, to justify overall higher price structure and occupy a different place in the market.

All that being said, I won't buy this one, despite the fact that it looks like a fun flipper... mainly because buying PotC this year tapped me out on pin purchases for like the next century. It's a nice unit, though... and the screen animations are A+, as usual with JJP. I think this is a winner. Not the GOAT... no, no. But a winner. And the better pricing structure is VERY welcome IMHO.

#1059 4 years ago

Looks like a fun game but where is this mind blowing innovation Kaneda was saying would change the landscape of pinball...

#1060 4 years ago

Art looks average at best....at least the Le and Se. Star Wars was slammed for better art than this.

#1061 4 years ago

Maybe the mind blowing innovation was the floor disappearing for ball lock? Idk...

#1062 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

Maybe the mind blowing innovation was the floor disappearing for ball lock? Idk...

Correct.. its a fairly complicated mech. Floating target/motorized spinning hole/ball lock/subway/vuk and with variable speed spinning thing on top. It may even do more ..

#1063 4 years ago

Not shitting on the game as it does look fun but I’m ready for JJP #6 which I hope to be Toy Story and for the standards to stay $7500.

Provided that game is good it will likely be my first JJP. I was really expecting to see something like WOZ but really see more of a dialed in type of game here.

#1064 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Correct.. its a fairly complicated mech. Floating target/motorized spinning hole/ball lock/subway/vuk and with variable speed spinning thing on top. It may even do more ..

It does do all those things except blow my mind....

#1065 4 years ago

Looked fun to me so I'm in on a standard. For the price point I feel you get a good pin.

#1066 4 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

It does do all those things except blow my mind....

Its neat ... not sure what everyone was expecting? The game looks great imo.. lots going on with some neat tricks. The 7 magnets are pretty cool also

#1067 4 years ago

Game looks like every other JJP - unique game, lots to shoots for, deep code, toys out the wazoo, multiple ramps, magnets, new technologies and fun. It looks good enough that I hope to buy one, but I don’t see it as different from any other JJP. So I have to wonder why it was hyped so much. Great game - sure, but the second coming of pinball - no.

What I like most is .... standards for $7.5k. Thanks Jack, I’ll be buying one because it checks all the boxes AND because it is priced right. Your decision to lower the standard prices was spot on and has earned you another sale. I’ll miss the wonkevator, but think it was a good idea to leave it off the standard model to differentiate with the LE. Please leave prices unchanged for all releases in 2019.

#1068 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Its neat ... not sure what everyone was expecting? The game looks great imo.. lots going on with some neat tricks. The 7 magnets are pretty cool also

Agree 100% but it was definitely overhyped. Perhaps Jack gave cannabis-infused Wonka bars to those who were given a sneak peek. I don't know.

I think it'll kill on location, but is it a must-have for home? Not with its current Taliban-torturing "Leave it to Beaver" music.

#1069 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I get that the mech is new, but it’s basically the same trick as the Metallica hammer...the ball is vanished through the playfield into a trough, then spit out somewhere else.

#1070 4 years ago

I think the hype got out of control like always. I think the biggest thing for pinball is the new price point for a full game with a hell of a light show. Same price could get you another cookie cutter with a cool theme that may or may not ghost or even fall apart at the seems. I've been burned to many times to go that route. Only time will tell how well made this one may be. But after my last JJP he has my business. I hope that never changes.

#1071 4 years ago

Games looks fun, can’t wait to try.

With that being said, I feel the game is overhyped. The art package looks pretty average and I don’t feel like it has many amazing toys like what people were alluding to. Pirates and Dialed in look just as impressive if not more. The new standard price is definitely appreciated.

3BD42736-245C-4B48-8A81-C38A3AF28198 (resized).jpeg3BD42736-245C-4B48-8A81-C38A3AF28198 (resized).jpeg
#1072 4 years ago

The game looks fantastic... does it blow me away like WOZ did? I’m not sure yet. Still, like any upstanding JJP owner knows the code will quickly bring the most out of this packed, silky smooth, beautiful pin. I can’t wait to play it and watch the family enjoy this amazing game.

#1073 4 years ago

I'm in on a LE. If you dont like this pin dont wait on #6, or #7 , you'll never be happy
This looks like a fun shooter with enough creative to be simple to learn and hard to master. You can say what you want, but some of us actually buy games and not just think.one day we will if its good enough. Dont like the direction pinball is going , get up and make me one yourself worth buying after all, customers like me are the target audience.

#1074 4 years ago

Am I missing something.......just watched 10 minutes of the Buffalo stream and saw nothing but fairly basic animations. Saw nothing from the movie at all. And the music was generic synth music that also wasn’t from the film.

Was anything mentioned about movie clip and music rights from the film?

Edit: yep, was missing it- watched a bit more and they started to show some clips.

#1075 4 years ago

Dont understand the negativity. If you like the theme this game will be so much fun. So far my JJP favorit. And this theme i like the least of all JJP themes.

But the lay out.... so tasty and fun. A fast wide body not cluttered with non fun objects that only gets in the way of the ball. Killing the flow.

I think it is great.

#1076 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Am I missing something.......just watched 10 minutes of the Buffalo stream and saw nothing but fairly basic animations. Saw nothing from the movie at all. And the music was generic synth music that also wasn’t from the film.

watch more of the stream b/c there are many clips. I watched almost all of it and it's in there no question.

#1078 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Am I missing something.......just watched 10 minutes of the Buffalo stream and saw nothing but fairly basic animations. Saw nothing from the move at all. And the music was generic synth music that also wasn’t from the film.

Clips are in there... Obviously the code will mature and im sure there is still alot to add

#1079 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

watch more of the stream b/c there are many clips. I watched almost all of it and it's in there no question.

Quoted from bigd1979:

Clips are in there... Obviously the code will mature and im sure there is still alot to add

Yeh, was just watching some more and they’re in there. I’m sure they’ll get more in there as code matures.

#1080 4 years ago

Definitely a lot of content for $7500.

It's easy to critique, but I think the team at JJP deserves a lot of praise. You can't please everyone. I can tell these folks put their hearts into the game. I hope they do well with it.

#1081 4 years ago

Not in love with the CE. We’re looking at switching down to LE.

#1082 4 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

Not in love with the CE. We’re looking at switching down to LE.

What don’t you like about the CE?

(I’m in on CE)

#1083 4 years ago

The cabinet art is not special at all between LE and CE.
The red armor clashes with the game and cabinet.
The topper is nothing special.
I hate custom shooter rods and I’d actually replace the gobstopper handle.
That leaves me with a $3000 delta for pinblades and radcals

#1084 4 years ago

I was a probably and now a for sure. LE for me and the family. Will set it next to WoZ. I think it looks magical. So happy the kids get to be around this work of art. Thanks JJP!

#1085 4 years ago

I'm out. I was iffy on the theme, but love the other most recent JJ titles. I like the 4 flippers, but the game is too kiddy and doesn't wow me.
I'll go BK this round and hope for more with GNR.

Also, this should have been a $9000 LE.

#1086 4 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

I bought an LE. However....

You should see it in person. The side cabinet art is dramatically more rich (radcals too). The mirrored backglass is really nice. The playfield art will be different and have the sparkle in it. The red armor pops and I think it looks great. It’s really beautiful. I don’t like custom shooter rods, but the gobstopper looks nice and feels good too. Was easy to use. The wonkatania topper will have interactive lighting with the game.

This is the first JJP CE I would consider. I’m glad the LE doesn’t feel like something is missing. You wouldn’t go wrong with either if you plan on keeping the game for a while.

#1087 4 years ago

I'm in for an LE.... plus my wife loves it so there's a chance of putting it in the living room.

#1088 4 years ago

One thing I took away from the stream is that video clips that just play without the audio from the license do little for me. Many pins have done this and it doesn't seem to add anything to the game, at least include the audio from the scene. It just seems odd to have all of these video clips playing and then seeing the actors talking in the scenes but no audio. At that point I rather have more custom animations.

#1089 4 years ago

Played it, MGC. It is beautiful. Color scheme is just right. One of the best looking family friendly games out there. Did a great job with theme. I do see the audio being a problem. If this was your favorite kid film, might still be a problem. It gets old.
Gameplay was rough. Drains were unreal. You can launch the ball- and it can go straight through. Several times it hit off a bumper, straight to out lanes. We are decent players, played 20 different pins tonight- Wonka was the shortest games.
Oktoberfest is fun, winner for me. BKSOR is solid, plays fast- only so much to shoot at.

#1090 4 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

Gotcha. You should consider adding radcals to your LE order though. They are truly a huge improvement.

IMG_0784 (resized).jpegIMG_0784 (resized).jpeg
#1091 4 years ago

Machine looks great, can't wait to play it

#1092 4 years ago
9099CFE0-ABCF-43CC-9DCE-79A64D4A0C80 (resized).jpeg9099CFE0-ABCF-43CC-9DCE-79A64D4A0C80 (resized).jpeg
#1093 4 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

Oh. Ok. [quoted image]

After looking at the coin door and not seeing the headphone jack, I assumed there was none. You sir are 100% correct, I am wrong, and I retract my previous statement.

#1094 4 years ago

Love it! Big fan of the movie so lashings of nostalgia for me. I'll be playing the hell out of this on location.

The music can get on your tits after a while, same with WOZ but there's little you can do about it, it's the tune from the movie. I am hearing the original soundtrack music for the plunger lane, then custom music kicks in. The trick is to offer multiple versions of the same tune so it doesn't always sound the same.

Another winner from the dream factory at JJP.

#1095 4 years ago

need to play it to see how it shoots but the theme integration is super lacking, needs much more gene, from the stream its a fail for me.

No candyman. No Oompah, no pure imagination? WTF? That music is critical on this game.

JJP please for the love of god stop doing launches at pinball shows when idiots like me can turn up and play terrible and thus make the game look terrible.

Neil.

#1096 4 years ago

The more I watched of the video the more and more I love the game play. There are more clips and callouts than what most people heard early on in the stream once some players got to complete more objectives. The code is not nearly complete yet so I'm sure there's more to come. Jack and crew will take feedback from the show and make enhancements. I think JJP did a great job of creating a pin that a wide range of players will enjoy which is what I have in my house.

I'm not overly impressed with the art work, but it's pretty good. I like having the radcals, a topper with integrated lights, red armor, mirrored backglass, external speaker and PinBlades. That's a little steep for a $3k upgrade to the CE, but I'm ponying up the extra cash. Deposit placed! It's going to be a long several months wait...

#1097 4 years ago

Despite a few negatives, the game rocks. Sure the artwork on standard edition cabinet and translite is boring and uninspiring. And yes, the music is slow and synthetic sounding, not a good fit for pinball. Of course the code is still basic, but we have faiith in JJP - and there are no worries there. Can’t get over idea that we have a game expected to sell well in 2019 having less than stellar art and sounds. How is that possible? Maybe the myth people demand absolutely great art and sounds on their pins is untrue.

#1098 4 years ago

I think the art is fine, not everything has to be detailed to the nines, a little contrast between the cabinet and playfield is good.

#1099 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

No Oompah, no pure imagination? WTF? That music is critical on this game.

Oompah plays at the bumper and the tune played elsewhere. Pure imagination is the final wizard, assume it plays there. No idea on candyman.

#1100 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Oompah plays at the bumper and the tune played elsewhere. Pure imagination is the final wizard, assume it plays there. No idea on candyman.

I really like how they implemented the oompah loompah theme on the bumpers. Brilliant.

What's crazy to think is the HUO pricing on standard wonka. 7K? That's a bargain.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
10,000 (Firm)
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
12,500 (OBO)
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods
Plastics
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtgt-wonka-is-coming-whos-in/page/22?hl=welovescott and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.