824E045A-9C5F-4708-A0CC-8643870B96ED (resized).jpeg
F5FBD34F-2E04-40A0-8039-F9CCCDB65107 (resized).jpeg
A3D38C6A-CB2D-4959-BAB5-D9703DC40AEA (resized).png
66A36E31-E4F7-49A3-BF9A-CD50FDF55F01 (resized).jpeg
slingpost1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190625_160834 (resized).jpg
ccc06.gif
ccc07.gif
There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 46.
#701 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I honestly think it's aged badly. It's simply not a good looking film anymore, the sets look low budget and corny now, and the acting that isn't Gene Wilder chewing the scenery is stagey and over exaggerated. If you haven't seen it in a while and just remember the memes and "I said good day sir!" you can watch this scene:

and see if you agree. If you love the movie I'm not trying to be a jerk, just honest about what it looks like. It's really dated. I love Roald Dahl's books, I think it was a fun movie for the time (the Tim Burton remake is a looker but a shitty film, the original might not hold up that well but it's still better). But killer pinball theme? The hype is out of control.
It's already a slot machine, it's an available license, and JJP took it. Probably hoping the candy rainbows would be another WOZ since that one still sells. The hype and frothing over some rumors is peak Pinside though.

This scene was magical when I was a kid watching this. I didn’t care about the special effects, set design and acting. I thought it was the coolest, iconic scene in the movie. The way Wonka (Gene Wilder) stalled for them to allow them to eat the candy was done so well. The song is definitely perfect for the scene. Now, think if this magical moment can be felt experiencing this JJP pinball machine during the reveal. I want to experience that magic under glass that was evident with the 90s machines. Story, mechs, cool things that we have never seen thr ball do before. That is what I am looking forward to. Totally agree the hype train is full steam ahead, but we may not be disappointed. We’ll see on Friday. I hope we can all say “You won! You did it!” for JJP.

Of course you have a right to your own opinion. Now let’s hope the game is super fun to play and we all win!

#702 5 years ago

Cheap plug for my friend and famous Comic-Con artist. He does commissions all day long. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=shad%20nowicki%20artist&epa=SEARCH_BOX

50850127_10156289192997799_1911821150405525504_n (resized).jpg50850127_10156289192997799_1911821150405525504_n (resized).jpg
#703 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I honestly think it's aged badly. It's simply not a good looking film anymore, the sets look low budget and corny now, and the acting that isn't Gene Wilder chewing the scenery is stagey and over exaggerated. If you haven't seen it in a while and just remember the memes and "I said good day sir!" you can watch this scene:

and see if you agree. If you love the movie I'm not trying to be a jerk, just honest about what it looks like. It's really dated. I love Roald Dahl's books, I think it was a fun movie for the time (the Tim Burton remake is a looker but a shitty film, the original might not hold up that well but it's still better). But killer pinball theme? The hype is out of control.
It's already a slot machine, it's an available license, and JJP took it. Probably hoping the candy rainbows would be another WOZ since that one still sells. The hype and frothing over some rumors is peak Pinside though.

So your point is that because the hype is out of control that this must mean it's actually not a popular theme for pinball? Or that because the theme doesn't excite you that everyone here is wrong and will eventually figure this out? Just trying to follow.

I admit I watched the film the other day and the special effects seemed dated and I cringed at times. On the other hand my 16 year old son plopped down on the couch without being asked and watched it and loved Gene Wilder as Wonka and was listening to Oompa loompa songs today on his phone. So it's not completely dated.

#704 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballonthemark:

Now, think if this magical moment can be felt experiencing this JJP pinball machine during the reveal. I want to experience that magic under glass that was evident with the 90s machines.

I hope it's everything you want.

#705 5 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

So your point is that because the hype is out of control that this must mean it's actually not a popular theme for pinball? Or that because the theme doesn't excite you that everyone here is wrong and will eventually figure this out? Just trying to follow.
I admit I watched the film the other day and the special effects seemed dated and I cringed at times. On the other hand my 16 year old son plopped down on the couch without being asked and watched it and loved Gene Wilder as Wonka and was listening to Oompa loompa songs today on his phone. So it's not completely dated.

The movie is fine. I like the movie. JP is a great editor and interface designer, I'm always happy to see what he's doing. But excited for clips from this film playing constantly would definitely not describe my feelings. Maybe it won't have that. Sounds like that would disappoint the people who love the theme though, so I doubt that's the play.

#706 5 years ago

Damn it. I was hoping for a JJP Toy Story, Muppets or some equally uninteresting theme so perhaps I could save some money. Now it looks like I'll be 5/5 on JJ pins.

#707 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I hope it's everything you want.

Thanks Aurich. I hope it is too.

#708 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

A neat first in a high end edition would be an actual liquid "chocolate" river cutting across playfield, contained in an acrylic tube with a pump that circulates it.

That would be amazing!

I was thinking about the Bubble scene with Charlie & Grandpa.

Could have a fan at the back, in the middle of the backboard, fan spins, and then you have bubbles go round the playfield- like projected... Think Star Trek prem/LE Klingon mulitball but with bubbles.. THAT would be cool as hell!

#709 5 years ago

I don't want to rain on anyones parade, but can someone tell me why Willy Wonka is such a good theme?? We know of Charlie and the Chocolate factory in Denmark, however it isn't something that anyone really would care about.
I feel the theme carries the same significance as WOZ, which in Denmark is about none. And I believe that the same rings true for most European countries.
Is it because I am out of touch with American interests, or could it be because the ones who decides these themes are from a generation before myself?

#710 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The hype and frothing over some rumors is peak Pinside though.

What are the rumors? That numerous people have got to play the pin and really think it's special? Let me guess, you hope it's a great pin and you'll be happy for JJP if it's a success? Who cares if the film hasn't aged well (in your opinion).

I agree that Pinside goes overboard on speculation, but this has been flipped by people that Pinside trusts... OK maybe not Kaneda for everyone. The hype may get a dose of reality tomorrow, but my money is on it being a great looking and flipping pin. GOAT, maybe not, but very good, probably.

#711 5 years ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

I don't want to rain on anyones parade, but can someone tell me why Willy Wonka is such a good theme?? We know of Charlie and the Chocolate factory in Denmark, however it isn't something that anyone really would care about.
I feel the theme carries the same significance as WOZ, which in Denmark is about none. And I believe that the same rings true for most European countries.
Is it because I am out of touch with American interests, or could it be because the ones who decides these themes are from a generation before myself?

It's more about the constant quest to go back to simpler times and to re-live our childhoods. The desire to be a kid again can be driven by different things, but somewhere along the line we convinced ourselves that these toys are one answer to that quest. Just like with Dorothy and the magic in her red slippers, the ability go escape the world and to go back to a more innocent and simpler time is always with us....we don't need toys to go there....we just think we do. And I am not saying there is anything wrong with that if you have the means to buy the games.....I am as guilty as anyone. Aside from being from KS, it is part of the reason why I have a WOZ, and Wonka is the same to many people....it reminds them of their childhood, and is something they can relate to.

I often wonder what the world would be like if we were required to completely disconnect and be a kid at least one day a week. What would the world be like?

#712 5 years ago

Very excited about this one. The only thing that makes me nervous is the price point. It seems that it will be the same as Pirates, but man, that is just a lot to ask for a game. And this is coming from a guy who owns 3 JJP's, however only paid for one of them NIB myself.

#713 5 years ago

1 day to go!

Slugworth "$10,000 imagine what you could buy for your family"

Charlie "A Willy Wonka LE pinball machine!"

Slugworth "I was thinking good food and comfort for the rest of your families lives but I guess 10k doesn't get you as much in 2019"

maxresdefault_1_orig (resized).jpgmaxresdefault_1_orig (resized).jpg

#714 5 years ago

Probaly both location and generational.I’m in my 50’s and a lot of people my age remember this movie fondly.Its good material for a world under glass!

#715 5 years ago

Wonka is not the be all to end all greatest theme in my opinion
It's a good theme but not my dream theme ...

But Wonka + JJP + Lawlor should be awesome
Can't wait to see and play this game!

#716 5 years ago

I played it a week ago this past Monday. The Hype is real. Dont judge until you play. Id guess there will be games at Pinfest and Pintastic NE. The JJP guys put it all together for this one, and I csnt wait to see what they do next.

#717 5 years ago

What toys are on the new Wonka pin?

#718 5 years ago

steady (resized).jpgsteady (resized).jpg

The hype is so high, just hope it meet everyone's expectations!

The problem is that some people have unrealistic visions of what it could be.

#719 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Totally disagree, but you do you.

#720 5 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

woz (resized).jpgwoz (resized).jpg

only just noticed charlie emery's signature on it!

#721 5 years ago

I don't want to rain on anyones parade, but can someone tell me why Willy Wonka is such a good theme??

Good question. I think Manimal's response was response about the nostalgia factor was really good, and could be said about this hobby from a wider perspective than just this game.

I also agree with Aurich that the film has not aged well, but has a similar visual style and genre (vintage children's fantasy) as JJP's biggest-selling game, so I could understand why they would choose that license.

In Denmark this may make more sense to you--I spent most of my younger years in Europe, and so I love The Adventures of Tintin series of books. I would be absolutely thrilled if a pin was made for Tintin in the original art style with JJPotC-level code depth. Though I think it would be a monster hit in most of Europe unfortunately it would probably flop in the US--even after the fantastic Spielberg film, which also must have underwhelmed as there is still not a sequel for it, I regret.

#722 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

1 day to go!
Slugworth "I was thinking good food and comfort for the rest of your families lives but I guess 10k doesn't get you as much in 2019"
[quoted image]

Lol. Upvote for you!

#723 5 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Just arrived today. Tom Whalen, my favorite Mondo artist. Framing next week ... pinball soon after [quoted image]

Wish I could get one for my game room

#724 5 years ago

It may be a rumour, but I've heard Jack is planning to retire and is looking for someone to take over his company. Look out for that golden ticket kids! You may inherit some debt though and instead of Oompa Lumpas, you'll have to deal with orange faced investors.

#725 5 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#726 5 years ago

The movie itself is not the end all-be all of movies by any means. What Wonka is as a theme? It offers an opportunity of literally an unlimited palette of world under glass opportunity. The imagination runs wild with cool ideas, because this movie is chocked full of imaginative concepts. Wonka is the kind of fantasy world that really works well for pinball.

#727 5 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

more ACNC deposits for sale at a discount.

While I chuckled at this...ACNC is not nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I actually really enjoyed it, and would probably take it over Munsters, Deadpool, and BKSOR if price was not a factor.

#728 5 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

You watched WOZ many times but never watched Wonka? Honestly there must be something wrong with you. Wonka literally changed my life. WOZ is kind of a piece of crap in comparison. Wonka is more modern, biting and fun. Wonka has a better message and more interesting themes. Wonka has better music. “Pure Imagination” kills every song in WOZ. Loompa>Munchkin. There is not a single really interesting character in WOZ. It’s all fluff. Willy Wonka is an interesting character. The only thing actually interesting about WOZ is the dark political, financial origins of the story which are buried way beneath the surface. So deep that most, including the filmmakers themselves, had no idea.

I adore the 1971 WONKA as much as anyone but your trashing of THE WIZARD OF OZ is beyond mind-boggling to say the least. It is arguably the most beloved film ever made in this country. It was based on one of the most venerated children’s stories ever written. It launched the career of the greatest female thespian to ever appear in a musical film, and it remains the one film she is most reverentially identified with. The movie’s celebrated score is woven into our popular culture, and it’s unforgettable screenplay has produced lines of dialogue that are ingrained into the consciousness of anyone and everyone who has watched the film countless times, and have come to value it’s themes of home, family and friendship as cinematically conclusive. The film’s most coveted song is probably the most popular number ever written during the twentieth century, and has been covered time and again by renowned artists. The story of it’s changing directors and cast auditions remain as fascinating to movie lovers as anything else about the film, and more has been written on the making of the picture than any other in history. The story of the little people who appear early in the film in one of it’s most celebrated sequences, remains a stand alone curiosity for many to this very day, with the old age passings of this unique fraternity a major news item. Every supporting member of the film’s distinguished cast will eternally be remembered firstly for the role they played in this film, even with exceptional careers to their credit. No film has been more referenced in other movies, and the final black-and-white sequence set in the bedroom of a Kansas farmhouse may well be the most emotionally moving scene in the history of American cinema. With the advent of home video in the late 70’s the film became an incomparable favorite, and to this day has been released more often on the many video formats up to a recently-released blu-ray box set. The smash Broadway hit Wicked is hugely indepted to the 1939 film. While it has come to represent homespun family values and the most vivid realization of one’s dreams, The Wizard of Oz is imbued with humor and humanity, two qualities that more than any other have contributed to it’s enduring, even spectacular appeal over decades all around the world. Much like the assassination of John F. Kennedy and the day astronauts first stepped foot on the moon, many Americans will never forget the day, the month and the year they first remembered watching the film, and in whose company they were with. Several years ago, the seventieth anniversary of the film’s opening was celebrated to national fan-fare, with the original city of it’s first appearance being honored – Oconomwoc, Wisconsin.

For baby-boomers like myself The Wizard of Oz first took hold during the famous run of CBS holiday showings, which initially were offered around Easter time in the 60’s and early 70’s. In those exceedingly impressionable days watching The Wizard of Oz was the highlight of my week, month and year. It was a time when I was frightened by the wicked witch, the haunted castle and the winged monkeys, was reassured by the dismissals of the good witch Glinda, and was intrigued by the bizarre appearance of the Munchkins, whom had me asking question after question about. When Toto escaped over the draw bridge, when Glinda provided a snow panacea for the poppies that felled our beloved brood, when the tin man used his ax to help free Dorothy from her prison and drop a chandelier on her pursuers, when the witch -made of sugar- is destroyed by a bucket of water, and when Toto unmasks the well intentioned but weak-willed charlatan, by pulling open a curtain, I was exhilarated and relieved, even though I knew what would happen. Like so many other kids I took an immediate liking to the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion, all who added to the security of our young heroin, who was in this seemingly unsolvable dilemma from the beginning. I always shed tears -even to this very day in fact- when the Cowardly Lion wrenchingly tells Dorothy that although she is stranded on Oz, he and the others didn’t want her to go anyway. And the final scene is a sure-firer tear-jerker, broaching the concepts of home, love of family and the idea that happiness can be realized within your own borders.

#729 5 years ago
Quoted from FarFromHeaven26:

I adore the 1971 WONKA as much as anyone but your trashing of THE WIZARD OF OZ is beyond mind-boggling to say the least. It is arguably the most beloved film ever made in this country. It was based on one of the most venerated children’s stories ever written. It launched the career of the greatest female thespian to ever appear in a musical film, and it remains the one film she is most reverentially identified with. The movie’s celebrated score is woven into our popular culture, and it’s unforgettable screenplay has produced lines of dialogue that are ingrained into the consciousness of anyone and everyone who has watched the film countless times, and have come to value it’s themes of home, family and friendship as cinematically conclusive. The film’s most coveted song is probably the most popular number ever written during the twentieth century, and has been covered time and again by renowned artists. The story of it’s changing directors and cast auditions remain as fascinating to movie lovers as anything else about the film, and more has been written on the making of the picture than any other in history. The story of the little people who appear early in the film in one of it’s most celebrated sequences, remains a stand alone curiosity for many to this very day, with the old age passings of this unique fraternity a major news item. Every supporting member of the film’s distinguished cast will eternally be remembered firstly for the role they played in this film, even with exceptional careers to their credit. No film has been more referenced in other movies, and the final black-and-white sequence set in the bedroom of a Kansas farmhouse may well be the most emotionally moving scene in the history of American cinema. With the advent of home video in the late 70’s the film became an incomparable favorite, and to this day has been released more often on the many video formats up to a recently-released blu-ray box set. The smash Broadway hit Wicked is hugely indepted to the 1939 film. While it has come to represent homespun family values and the most vivid realization of one’s dreams, The Wizard of Oz is imbued with humor and humanity, two qualities that more than any other have contributed to it’s enduring, even spectacular appeal over decades all around the world. Much like the assassination of John F. Kennedy and the day astronauts first stepped foot on the moon, many Americans will never forget the day, the month and the year they first remembered watching the film, and in whose company they were with. Just two years ago, the seventieth anniversary of the film’s opening was celebrated to national fan-fare, with the original city of it’s first appearance being honored – Oconomwoc, Wisconsin.
For baby-boomers like myself The Wizard of Oz first took hold during the famous run of CBS holiday showings, which initially were offered around Easter time in the 60’s and early 70’s. In those exceedingly impressionable days watching The Wizard of Oz was the highlight of my week, month and year. It was a time when I was frightened by the wicked witch, the haunted castle and the winged monkeys, was reassured by the dismissals of the good witch Glinda, and was intrigued by the bizarre appearance of the Munchkins, whom had me asking question after question about. When Toto escaped over the draw bridge, when Glinda provided a snow panacea for the poppies that felled our beloved brood, when the tin man used his ax to help free Dorothy from her prison and drop a chandelier on her pursuers, when the witch -made of sugar- is destroyed by a bucket of water, and when Toto unmasks the well intentioned but weak-willed charlatan, by pulling open a curtain, I was exhilarated and relieved, even though I knew what would happen. Like so many other kids I took an immediate liking to the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion, all who added to the security of our young heroin, who was in this seemingly unsolvable dilemma from the beginning. I always shed tears -even to this very day in fact- when the Cowardly Lion wrenchingly tells Dorothy that although she is stranded on Oz, he and the others didn’t want her to go anyway. And the final scene is a sure-firer tear-jerker, broaching the concepts of home, love of family and the idea that happiness can be realized within your own borders.

Wizard of Oz is timeless.

#730 5 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

6. Slugworth needs to be a bunch of inserts all over the pinball. When one of them lights, you have to make that shot to stop Slugworth.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

1 day to go!
[quoted image]

Remember though...that was not actually Slugworth. In the movie that guy turns out to work for Willy Wonka and was testing the kids. Can't recall his real name in the film.

The real Slugworth never actually made an appearance, so we don't know what he looks like. But that guy in the photo is not him.

#731 5 years ago

Anybody have a link to the reveal stream and what time it actually starts?

#732 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

[quoted image]
The hype is so high, just hope it meet everyone's expectations!
The problem is that some people have unrealistic visions of what it could be.

Yeah. At this point its full on Wonavator smashing through the ceiling hype!

#734 5 years ago

Hype and anticipation are what make things fun. Can't wait to see it.

#735 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's aged okay in my opinion. I've seen it recently. There are cracks in the facade due to the time it was made (the superimposing is probably the biggest issue), but its good enough to suspend belief. It's a damn good flick despite the technological limitations of the time and I feel like it holds up really well. Also, the sets are dope in my opinion.

Willy-Wonka-Chocolate-Factory (resized).jpgWilly-Wonka-Chocolate-Factory (resized).jpgWilly-Wonka-Chocolate-Factory2 (resized).jpgWilly-Wonka-Chocolate-Factory2 (resized).jpg
#736 5 years ago

That last pic made me think that WONKA may be the Alice in Wonderland that JPOP promised but never delivered.

#737 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

only just noticed charlie emery's signature on it!

He was involved in the Emerald City working for the company that made the clear coated cabinets.

LTG : )

#738 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

He was involved in the Emerald City working for the company that made the clear coated cabinets.

I cant read all the cursive on the Emerald city wooden apron. Is there a list of these names and who and what they did Lloyd?

#739 5 years ago

Even though we have to wait one more day...please let’s make sure no one leaks photos or anything else before the reveal. Let’s give JJP the spotlight without spoiling it! But the hype thermometer is blowing it’s top like Augustus Gloop up the chocolate river pipe.

#740 5 years ago

I have WOZEC & PoTC... I'm getting pumped up on this title. Soon the reveal.

#741 5 years ago

This pretty much sums up Lazy AF deadbeat grandpa.

#742 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

The movie itself is not the end all-be all of movies by any means. What Wonka is as a theme? It offers an opportunity of literally an unlimited palette of world under glass opportunity. The imagination runs wild with cool ideas, because this movie is chocked full of imaginative concepts. Wonka is the kind of fantasy world that really works well for pinball.

I'm sure JJP will do a good job with it. Even their least interesting game for me, Hobbit (playfield too wide open and just not enjoyable to shoot, not a fan of the movies), is a complete package. I have no doubt people who are excited for film clips and quotes and references and toys will be happy campers. I don't wish anyone disappointment, I'm not being sour on the company or excitement.

People clearly disagree with me on how the film has aged, and I don't want to sound like I don't like the movie, because I've seen it many times and I do. I guess after Dialed In had a polarizing reception nostalgia is the play again now. I just think original ideas offer much more of an unlimited palette than using a film we've all seen. Watching the bitching about Black Knight is just more evidence I'm off alone in the wilderness on this one, people want their licenses.

#743 5 years ago

Excited to see how this turns out. Could this be as iconic as TZ? The book has by far the best Wonka, but for pinball Wilder makes sense, and is the least creepy of the two options on film. I'm hoping for the best JJP to date!

#744 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm sure JJP will do a good job with it. Even their least interesting game for me, Hobbit (playfield too wide open and just not enjoyable to shoot, not a fan of the movies), is a complete package. I have no doubt people who are excited for film clips and quotes and references and toys will be happy campers. I don't wish anyone disappointment, I'm not being sour on the company or excitement.
People clearly disagree with me on how the film has aged, and I don't want to sound like I don't like the movie, because I've seen it many times and I do. I guess after Dialed In had a polarizing reception nostalgia is the play again now. I just think original ideas offer much more of an unlimited palette than using a film we've all seen. Watching the bitching about Black Knight is just more evidence I'm off alone in the wilderness on this one, people want their licenses.

(despite the snarkiness of the post below I do enjoy your posts Aurich and this is all just fun pinball talk).

LOL. What a condescending post to put in a Wonka thread. I'm glad you're happy for the little people who are excited by film clips, quotes, and toys. Yes, for some (most?) theme adds a lot to a game. It's why we don't play on whiteboards. I"m not sure the benefit of debating the merits of that in this thread are --other than to insult people for liking themes.

I'm also not sure how this relates to bitching about BK either. People were super pumped about that game after the artwork reveal so I don't think you're alone in the wilderness with your purist original theme pinball beliefs. Hell, I'm still pumped about BKSOR, ironically, largely because of the theme (fighting a black knight and monsters is a great pinball theme). Honestly, it sounds like we are both a little bummed by the quick turn on BK by a lot of people here. I just don't think it has anything to do with it being an original theme (or Wonka).

Anyway, I'll end this post by saying I loved your work in Alien. I thought you did a great job with what you had to work with -- I might be biased though as I really liked the theme.

#745 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Wonka is the kind of fantasy world that really works well for pinball.

Come to think of it... I'd kind of like a Dr. Seuss pin from JJP too. But I'm also one of the people who want to see Muppets come to fruition.

#746 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

People clearly disagree with me on how the film has aged,

I watched it 2 days ago and...you're not wrong. I actually wish I hadn't revisited the whole film because, yeah it has not aged well. There's really no denying that, unless you just haven't watched it recently and basing that on your memory of the movie.

Great movie and it's very nostalgic to me. I don't recommend revisiting the full movie though.

#747 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I cant read all the cursive on the Emerald city wooden apron. Is there a list of these names and who and what they did Lloyd?

No idea.

Sorry.

#748 5 years ago

I'm glad you're happy for the little people who are excited by film clips, quotes, and toys. Yes, for some (most?) theme adds a lot to a game.

Theme matters. This is indisputable. Whether or not you're tired of pinball being dominated by licenses is something else. Here's what bums me out: almost no one here has seen the game, just some little hints. JJP doesn't skimp on toys and features, whatever you think of their games or prices, so excitement is fine, really. Be hype, it's okay.

But ... the hype is fever pitch because it's a familiar theme, and people are all in without seeing it. You're basically an idiot if you run a pinball company and don't use a license now. Even Spooky is doing licenses. And it's because of this phenomenon. We basically beg for the familiar. "I can't wait to hear my favorite movie quotes!" I pine for the unfamiliar, the surprise, the new thing, not the old thing.

I just wish there was a better mix of original game ideas too. After Dialed In didn't catch fire with people maybe JJP is done with trying, I dunno. The 90s pinball we all say we love was a mix. Most of the beloved games from that era like AFM and MM were original, and there were licenses that were still 'free and open' like Scared Stiff and Monster Bash. Those mixed familiar with new, not just staying safe.

Honestly, it sounds like we are both a little bummed by the quick turn on BK by a lot of people here. I just don't think it has anything to do with it being an original theme (or Wonka).

Actually I think it has to do with it being too original. It's not really a 'new' game, it's the third in a series, it's basically a license. But people had their own visions of what it should be. They wanted it to be about medieval knights for instance, and don't like the monsters, whatever. It took a little different turn, and is getting blowback for it. It's hard to judge it on its own merits because it comes with the baggage of two previous games, and what people already expected because of that. Nevermind that the BK2000 backglass has a sci fi landscape and demonic castle on it.

Anyway, I'll end this post by saying I loved your work in Alien. I thought you did a great job with what you had to work with -- I might be biased though as I really liked the theme.

Thanks, and I'm glad you like it. For all the issues I think the package evokes the films well, and I don't think it's a bad thing. I don't automatically hate licenses. But that said, so many of the nightmares around making that game were related to the restrictions a license brings. For every little thing it helped there was something it hurt. There's no question my experience with that colors my views of how games are made these days.

#749 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Theme matters. This is indisputable. Whether or not you're tired of pinball being dominated by licenses is something else. Here's what bums me out: almost no one here has seen the game, just some little hints. JJP doesn't skimp on toys and features, whatever you think of their games or prices, so excitement is fine, really. Be hype, it's okay.
But ... the hype is fever pitch because it's a familiar theme, and people are all in without seeing it. You're basically an idiot if you run a pinball company and don't use a license now. Even Spooky is doing licenses. And it's because of this phenomenon. We basically beg for the familiar. "I can't wait to hear my favorite movie quotes!" I pine for the unfamiliar, the surprise, the new thing, not the old thing.
I just wish there was a better mix of original game ideas too. After Dialed In didn't catch fire with people maybe JJP is done with trying, I dunno. The 90s pinball we all say we love was a mix. Most of the beloved games from that era like AFM and MM were original, and there were licenses that were still 'free and open' like Scared Stiff and Monster Bash. Those mixed familiar with new, not just staying safe.

Actually I think it has to do with it being too original. It's not really a 'new' game, it's the third in a series, it's basically a license. But people had their own visions of what it should be. They wanted it to be about medieval knights for instance, and don't like the monsters, whatever. It took a little different turn, and is getting blowback for it. It's hard to judge it on its own merits because it comes with the baggage of two previous games, and what people already expected because of that. Nevermind that the BK2000 backglass has a sci fi landscape and demonic castle on it.

Thanks, and I'm glad you like it. For all the issues I think the package evokes the films well, and I don't think it's a bad thing. I don't automatically hate licenses. But that said, so many of the nightmares around making that game were related to the restrictions a license brings. For every little thing it helped there was something it hurt. There's no question my experience with that colors my views of how games are made these days.

You are so correct on a couple of points here Aurich. We want what we know...what is familiar....what is comforting............cause the unknown is a very scary place. The big risk in going for the licensed theme is having to meet the expectations everyone sets in their own minds, or at least getting close. If a manufacturer swings and misses, there is hell to pay. Just at JJP Pirates......had JJP not shown the spinning disk toy, people would not have had that idea in their heads, nor would it have been a part of what they expected. When the toy was scaled down, everyone felt betrayed...even though they had never once flipped the game.

#750 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, I think it's just hard to please everyone today which may be a good thing considering so many people are entering the hobby. Some people will love Wonka as they like the theme, others will not enjoy it as the theme does nothing for them. The same person could then prefer Dialed In because it's a completely original design.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 32.99
9,600 (OBO)
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 25.50
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 91.00
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

There are 2,284 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 46.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtgt-wonka-is-coming-whos-in/page/15?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.