Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 84 days ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 months ago

So I’ve REALLY been thinking about my next pin being an American Pinball game. Something different from Stern or JJP.
I’m leaning heavily towards Houdini however I do have some concerns. I’m not in pinball to make money but I’d rather not lose money either … seems like these pins don’t hold value very well? Am I wrong?
What do you think of Houdini or are the other AP games better choices?

#2 9 months ago

Houdini is very difficult.

Oktoberfest is easier.

Hot wheels is easiest.

Legends if Valhalla is the best though.

#3 9 months ago

I only have had Houdini and Oktoberfest in my game room and of the two I preferred Oktoberfest. The playfield layout was more fun. Better modes and overall more of a fun atmosphere. The AP games are really well built with great quality.

#4 9 months ago

Haven’t played Valhalla yet, but the other 3 all have excellent build quality and a lot to do.

Were I in the market for an AP I’d get an Oktoberfest over Houdini and Hot Wheels. It has the most interesting layout and best theme integration of their games thus far to me.

#5 9 months ago

I've played all four a good amount, I'm not a huge fan of any of them. If I did have to choose one of them though I'd go with Houdini

#6 9 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Oktoberfest is easier.
Hot wheels is easiest.
Legends if Valhalla is the best though.

I personally didn't like how Legends of Valhalla played at expo and felt like it was their worst offering. Though I think they had their flipper power turned down too low.

#7 9 months ago

Hope you get to play it again with proper flipper settings. Check out the buffalo pinball stream from Friday night when the flippers were nice and snappy.
There are around 10 arcades across the USA with the game now.

Were there any LOV games at pintastic or iaapa this weekend (or free play florida)? I thought someone was bringing the game.

Quoted from explosiveegg:

I personally didn't like how Legends of Valhalla played at expo and felt like it was their worst offering. Though I think they had their flipper power turned down too low.

#8 9 months ago

I have not played Legends of Valhalla yet…..but I really liked Houdini. It definitely has some tough shots. Oktoberfest was much better than I expected. It’s not a great theme for me but the game play is pretty good and I may consider getting one. Hot Wheels felt a little easy but I have only played it a couple times.

If you are worried about losing money buy a used one. You will save a little and it should hold close to what you paid for it or more the way prices are going if you decide to sell it down the road. Only you can decide what theme/gameplay is best for you.

#9 9 months ago

They are all pretty weak as far as pinball machines go. Legends of Vahalla is average at best and I'm being generous in saying that....played about a dozen games of it this weekend at Pintastic New England. Hot Wheels is ok and has the best flow of the four.....Ocktoberfest is poorly designed and it's impossible to keep the ball in the upper half of the playfield. Houdini is a KLUNKFEST! Not for the average pinball player. About the only machine that's worse is Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle. Do yourself a favor and just enjoy them out in the wild as a barcade or something. None of them are worth the purchase price right now. I will agree the cabinet and quality of the machines seems very good...they just haven't had a hit pinball machine yet. Same thing goes for Spooky with the exception of TNA....that is Spooky's best pin. Halloween.....eh....save your money there....it's not a good playing pin either! If you must spend money on any pinball machine right now and want a NIB go buy yourself a Godzilla.....it's without question Elwin's best pin and when the dust settles from the hype it should be one of the All-Time Great Pinball Machines.....it's really well done....even the Pro Model is worth the asking price.

#10 9 months ago

Poll?

I really liked Houdini as well. Octoberfest and Hot Wheels, meh. Played Legends at expo a good amount and really enjoyed it as well.

#11 9 months ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

Play one with proper power applied to it. Heard those played like shit.

#12 9 months ago

Like them all, but for home Houdini is the most challenging and deep and that is what I have. Liked playing LOV at Expo even with the flipper power low - and may consider the standard version when it comes out.

American makes a quality product. If I had more space and $$, I would pick up an Oktoberfest as well.

#13 9 months ago

Evidently there is a Houdini Deluxe model as well … so far Houdini seems to be the way I’m leaning still.
Interesting posts and comments on all.

#14 9 months ago

They all offer a fun, unique and different experience. Hard to say which one is “best”.

Add a poll if possible

#15 9 months ago

I have owned all AP games except for Valhalla and Oktoberfest was my favorite.

#16 9 months ago

Oktoberfest is my favorite.

#17 9 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Oktoberfest is easier.
Hot wheels is easiest.

I've played all three and
I agree with this ^

I have OKT and Love it!

Great build and factory support
Looking forward to play LOV

#18 9 months ago

Haven't tried LOV yet. Oktoberfest is my favorite, it's a real nice game for home with so many modes and strategies and shots. Great mechs and humor as well. I put Houdini and Hot Wheels about on the same level of enjoyment for me even though they're pretty different. It's fun to wrestle with Houdini, when you're nailing those tight shots it feels like you're accomplishing something rather than just chopping wood by hitting the same orbit or extra wide ramp all game long. Hot Wheels is fast, fun, and the rules and goals are pretty clear; downside maybe it's a bit ugly compared to their others.

#19 9 months ago

Looks like you are near Pittsburgh so helicon brewery now has 2 lov games to play if you get out out that way .

Quoted from Hop-Pac:

I've played all three and
I agree with this ^
I have OKT and Love it!
Great build and factory support
Looking forward to play LOV

#20 9 months ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

They are all pretty weak as far as pinball machines go. Legends of Vahalla is average at best and I'm being generous in saying that....played about a dozen games of it this weekend at Pintastic New England. Hot Wheels is ok and has the best flow of the four.....Ocktoberfest is poorly designed and it's impossible to keep the ball in the upper half of the playfield. Houdini is a KLUNKFEST! Not for the average pinball player. About the only machine that's worse is Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle. Do yourself a favor and just enjoy them out in the wild as a barcade or something. None of them are worth the purchase price right now. I will agree the cabinet and quality of the machines seems very good...they just haven't had a hit pinball machine yet. Same thing goes for Spooky with the exception of TNA....that is Spooky's best pin. Halloween.....eh....save your money there....it's not a good playing pin either! If you must spend money on any pinball machine right now and want a NIB go buy yourself a Godzilla.....it's without question Elwin's best pin and when the dust settles from the hype it should be one of the All-Time Great Pinball Machines.....it's really well done....even the Pro Model is worth the asking price.

Stern fan boy...
AP builds quality games... choose what suits you best ..
Variety is always good

#21 9 months ago

I’ve played them all, aside from Valhalla.
I liked Houdini, wasn’t a big fan of the others.

#22 9 months ago

Houdini. Avoid Octoberfest. Long ball times and super boring

#23 9 months ago

Cant go wrong. All so different not really a fair comparison. Edge to Oktoberfest, but it was a theme I always wanted and never thought would happen. Houdini is pure art.

#24 9 months ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Looks like you are near Pittsburgh so helicon brewery now has 2 lov games to play if you get out out that way .

Thanks for the tip. I've been meaning to get there for some time. That's even more reason to make the trip

#25 9 months ago

My vote is for Houdini. It’s tough but a great pin. I personally love the theme and the game is really loaded. Valhalla doesn’t have any mechs so that is a big difference between the two. In my opinion, Houdini falls within the pinball magic category…no pun intended.

#26 9 months ago

Houdini by a leg. If it had a second ramp it would be a top 10 game.

#27 9 months ago

I've played them all on location. Houdini is a brickfest, hate it. Oktoberfest is actually pretty fun. Gets crapped on a lot but of the 4 its my fav. Valhalla was a bit clunky and not too much fun for me - wasn't sure what i was shooting at, and i wasn't' a fan of hot wheels.

On theme Houdini but it's punishing. Dead on shots or brick. On fun factor and playabiltiy - Oktoberfest gets my vote.

#28 9 months ago

Hot Wheels is easy to pick up, and has the most going for it in terms of the backbox animations/ videos. however, Houdini and Oktoberfest are really loaded. I’ve owned a Houdini for 3 years and still enjoy it, and still have not gotten to the final “Master Magician” mode.

IMO the default settings are too hard, especially for how many modes and features the game has. But it’s not any harder to shoot than any number of Williams games.

Setup is REAL important though. See if you can play any of these games at someone’s house before you decide. Location can be hit or miss.

#29 9 months ago

I have Houdini and really like it. Someone once told me "A harder game makes you a better player." For home use it is one you can grow into, although it still intimidates some of my friends. I like the Houdini theme and art better than Oktoberfest and Hot wheels. I haven't played Valhalla yet.

#30 9 months ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

Ocktoberfest is poorly designed and it's impossible to keep the ball in the upper half of the playfield.

Serious question, aren't all pinballs by design "impossible to keep the ball in the upper half of the playfield"? What exactly do you mean by this. Unless there's an upper playfield with its own set of flippers, just how is one supposed to keep the ball in the upper playfield??

As far as the OPs question, Oktoberfest is a blast when set up properly and given some time to learn the objectives of the game.

#31 9 months ago

I like LOV the best of their games, but there are a ton of other games that I like better than it. Do you want an AP game just to have one for the sake of it? I'd just go with the game you like the most instead of picking one because you don't have a manufacturer represented.

#32 8 months ago

Well … I’ve decided on Houdini!
Thanks so much for the discussion - always helps to hear others thoughts but I feel for me Houdini is the best choice and a great next new game for my home!

#33 8 months ago
Quoted from Beez:

Well … I’ve decided on Houdini!
Thanks so much for the discussion - always helps to hear others thoughts but I feel for me Houdini is the best choice and a great next new game for my home!

Great choice. I’ve owned a Houdini for over two years now and I absolutely love it. I ordered a LOV. It should be a great addition to my collection. AP is a great company with original themes, quality builds and great customer service. I think you will be very happy with Houdini.

#34 8 months ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Were there any LOV games at pintastic or iaapa this weekend (or free play florida)?

Yes, we had LoV at Pintastic New England...and we had free copies of PinGame Journal #167 with all the coverage of the development of the game, and we had David Fix in there for a seminar about what's happening at American Pinball.

The IAAPA show also had some LoV games.
.................David Marston

1 week later
#35 8 months ago

I've owned Houdini and did enjoy it a bit but boring rather quick for me. Oktoberfest on the other hand is an absolute pleasure to play with truly unique shots layout is fun.

#36 8 months ago

For me Houdini is one of the best games ever. Just be sure it has all updates on the hardware side.

Something to point out :

- coop on houdini (and the other games of AP)
- unique mechs like the catapult and the stage
- good shaker and knocker integration (bullettime)
- multiball stacking
- 3 magnets that create the illusion of magic
- hard shots but try the catapultshot with the right flipper
- imo the best feeling Orbit shot of all time
- still updates going with new sounds and lightshows and new jokes for the magic head
- powdercoated siderailes, lockbar and legs for free
- Real backglass
- Videomode !!!!
- enjoy the sound with the subwoofer (It's a must have)

I also own hotwheels thats fun too. But the detail put in houdini is massive ! And for full excitement you should at least read the wikipedia article about him. You will get a lot more feeling for this pin after that.

#37 8 months ago

I adore AP's Houdini! It's a very challenging pin but once you accept that you can enjoy the ride.

When I first encountered it I didn't like it and thought the play-field was poorly designed. The more I played it the more I appreciated the layout for it's challenging shots and that crazy fun orbit! All the stage illusions are clever and well thought out in regard to how you 'perform' them- some are super difficult to set up but I love how they play out. Houdini has some amazing multi•ball action IMO!! The magnets that interact with the ball in the lower play-field can be frustrating and at times it feels like the machine is haunted or has a mind of it's own. I appreciate all the history and trivia that is packed into the game, it really feels like a lot of love and passion went into making it. Least that's what I get from it.

I don't own any pins currently but I would highly consider getting a Houdini -feel it's a very deep game in terms of what you can eventually unlock or discover in it and as challenging as it can be I feel it makes me a better player.

1 month later
#38 7 months ago

The Pintastic fireside chat between David Fix and me has now been posted:

There is a lot of material here that was not in his Pinball Expo presentation!
.................David Marston

4 months later
#39 84 days ago

HotWheel is great fun! I've owned it for a year and a half now. Co-Op mode is a blast. It's a favorite at my house with my pinhead friends! Great company and quality. Best value in pinball! Light show is fantastic and rules are a lot of fun. I plan to own more American machines for sure!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
$ 599.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 6,749.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!