Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

worom.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi and thanks for reading

working on a Gottlieb Wipe Out

its works and plays, but acts like its missing balls

you go into multi-ball at random, with only one ball in play

when you drain the ball doesn't end unless you shake machine and ball falls back into the outhole switch then the game does a end ball tally

2nd issue
the gate works perfectly in test mode but when in game play acts like it only works when in ball search

Not familiar with GTB pins, but willing to understand what may be causing these couple issues

Other than that it plays great Just those 2 issues

Ball Count ?
Opto gate ?

Any Ideas Please Let me know

Thanks

#2 8 years ago

Wipe Out is a four ball game.

worom.jpgworom.jpg

When you run the switch test (self test 5), the only switches that should register are 24/trough and 34/outhole. If other switches register they need to be investigated. If other switches report inactive (Gottlieb's definition of an inactive switch is one that has not registered in the past 15 games), those need to be investigated as well.

There are three opto switches in Wipe Out - left scoop (SW80), right ramp (SWA0), and slalom starting gate (SWB0). These are controlled by the quad opto interface board under the playfield. This board has four LEDs on it. When one of the optos is tripped, the opto's corresponding LED on the board lights up. You can test it in switch test mode. If the LED never lights up or is always on, it's usually one of the following:

The solder joints on the opto have gone cold and need to be reflowed (both xmit and rcv).
The 120 ohm 5w resistor on the quad opto board has gone bad or desoldered itself.

You could also have a bad opto or a wiring problem but 95% of the time it's one of the above.

viperrwk

#3 8 years ago

Thank you

Yes 4 balls in game

I will Check out what you mentioned

3 years later
#4 4 years ago

Bumping this to the top as I started having slalom gate problems and found this old thread. After the game has been working fine for over a month straight the slalom starting gate opto is acting up. A week ago it triggered mid game, then no problems for a few days, then it started happening every other game then today it permanently thinks there is a ball at the starting gate. I went through switch test mode and it works fine. Then I saw this post and did the switch test mode with the playfield up so I could see the LED lights. When I trigger it in switch test mode the light stays on and won’t go off. I ran out of time as it was already pretty late so I’m going to investigate further after work Tuesday. I’m fairly new to fixing pins and completely new to Gottlieb, so any suggestions on the order I should try? Should I reflow the solder first, or check the resistor with my meter? If it’s checking anything with a meter I’ll have to find some directions or a video to remind me, I have done very little with a meter so far and don’t have it down yet. Thanks for any help.

#5 4 years ago

Double post...

#6 4 years ago

Problem solved.
The slalom slope that moves back and forth caught the wires that goes to the opto for the gate. Every time the slope moved back and forth it moved it a little more until it was eventually completely out of alignment. Put it back and everything works great. Hopefully this helps someone down the line with the same problem

6 months later
#7 4 years ago

Just to add my 2-cents...had the same issue - got a moment today to look at it....the quad opto board (underneath the playfield) was pristine - just re-seated the connectors since I was staring at them....the opto's at the top of the ramp - for me - I don't see how you can realistically perform any alignment - the opto's sit within a plastic socket...so I simply loosened both TX and RX boards cleaned the opto's with alcohol and re-flowed the 4 solder pads on each board....(to me that was the root problem).....put it all back together and everything was copacetic....

1 year later
#8 3 years ago

I'm adding my 2 cents to this chain as well. I had an issue with the Wipe Out starting gate working intermittently. The machine would play fine for weeks, then balls would get stuck at the top of the starting gate for weeks. Then it would work. Then it wouldn't. Opto switch tests worked fine in test mode. Ultimately, it came down to needing to reflow the solder points on each side of the bracket with the opto sensors. This became very easy to address once I started looking at the 4 LEDs on the quad opto board under the playfield. From time to time D4 LED was lit, indicating the starting gate opto had a broken laser, or something was present...when something wasn't. I removed the bracket and opto sensor assembly from the starting gate, flipped up the playfield, reconnected the 4pin harness under the playfield so that I could now play with the opto sensor and see the quad opto board together. When I put my finger in the opto, the LED would be lit - as expected. As I jostled the sides of the opto sensor bracket where the solder pads are, the LED on the board would be intermittent. It was obvious that the solder joints were not solid. In particular, I was actually able to jostle each solder joint individually and see it's impact on the LED on the opto board. I knew the issue then were the two solder points of the opto sensor on the left side. I reflowed those two points. BAM. back in business. To the point made by Sonic , I went a step further to just reflow the 4 solder points on each side of the opto bracket, clean the opto with alcohol - and good to go.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-wipe-out-some-insight-requested?hl=parkshow30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.