• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Tuukka
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Here's one I haven't seen before.

During power up or tilt the "game over" light is off. I start up a game, the sequence is flawless. However once I'm on ball 1 my "game over" is lit. I've been playing around with the associated relays and the seem to be adjusted well. The system will not advance past ball one. Both my trough switches are good and ball advance unit works great during reset sequence. I can add up to 4 players. Playfield features reset after drain but stays in ball 1. The stepper in the back does not seem to put in any effort to advance ball so being gummed up isn't an issue. I can add a quick video here if that helps (or add more data when I'm more awake). Spent a bit of time making sure contacts are clean and no broken wires. Could there be a bad connector or contact somewhere? I haven't paid too much attention to the playfield units since scoring seems to function well.

I haven't owned this machine with it working properly could this have been a botched repair from a long time ago? Came out of a basement where it sat for a long time. I've spent a little time cleaning up some of the stepper units since I also had some reset issues. As of now I can start a new game every time without it hanging up.

#2 4 years ago

I would make sure steppers return to start position after start and brass contacts line up properly.

#3 4 years ago

This seems to be in the Player Unit. Have you checked the coils with a multimeter?

#4 4 years ago

The circuit for the “Add Player Unit” coil that steps up between players and balls is one of the more complex on a multiplayer game. Do you have the schematic? The pathway during startup and regular gameplay are different.

Also: greetings, neighbor! I life in Afton, which is right next to Woodbury, as I’m sure you are well aware.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Playfield features reset after drain but stays in ball 1

Does the Add Player Unit (P) relay activate when this happens?

#6 4 years ago

Hi everyone!

I have some good news and some....more data that may be helpful.

First off, thanks everyone for the responses!

The good news. The "game over" light issue has been resolved. I found an issue with my common wire in the backbox which had severed the rest of my lighting, and in turn, goofed up the rest of my lights. After seeing this I'd guess this would create less lighting, than false positives. I was hoping this issue would be connected to the rest of my problems but it appears to only be a lighting issue, which, can fortunately be put behind me.

I can get more than one player to add such as two/ or 4 players. HowardR I think you might be onto something regarding your last post. Here's where it gets interesting. When I receive the ball again in a two player game (while still in player 1 ball 1), hitting the start button will perform a reset....where if it was working normally should be player 2 ball 1. If I just start up a one player game and manually advance the stepper in the back to player 2 ball one, then drain, the machine correctly advances to player 2 ball 1 as if everything is working correctly. However, if I start a two player game this will not work. In other words, the machine will step to player 1 of the next ball if I force the machine via the stepper into a player that wasn't added to the machine.

leckmeck I think you had mentioned something along these lines too. I believe everything is properly aligned and I made sure the contacts on the disk are clean (both in head and pedestal). I did not know we were neighbors we may have to get together soon (regardless of this issue)

It sounds like my issue could be player 1 specific? I noticed the switch on the right of the front stack was bent quite a bit to accept the 4th player.

My biggest fear is someone in the 80's did a quick hack to give the grandchildren unlimited balls etc but not seeing much evidence of anything out of the ordinary.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

If I just start up a one player game and manually advance the stepper in the back to player 2 ball one, then drain, the machine correctly advances to player 2 ball 1 as if everything is working correctly.

Maybe I'm missing something but this doesn't sound correct.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Maybe I'm missing something but this doesn't sound correct.

Correct. I forced the machine into an impossible scenario by stepping into the second player when I haven't added a second player. Ironically it allows the machine to advance correctly after a drain. Haven't had time to look at the game this week, will definitely have time this weekend.

#9 4 years ago

EJS I’m free tomorrow afternoon (and will actually be in Woodbury around noon) and all day on Sunday. If you want another set of eyes, give me a call. I’ll DM my phone number to you.

#10 4 years ago

I stopped by @EJS’s house yesterday and we looked at his Vulcan issue. Two switches on the P (Add Player) and BX (Last Ball) relays needed cleaning and adjusting. Working now! It went well having two sets of hands and two sets of eyeballs.

#11 4 years ago

Thanks again everyone for the $0.02 and of course a big thank you to leckmeck for updating the thread and for lending a hand. All I did was hold the light and one end of the meter so most of the credit goes to you!

Yes, game is working great, just need to get that pesky mylar out from around the pop bumpers, replace a few (quite a few) corroded light sockets and will be ready for everyone to enjoy.

2 months later
#12 4 years ago

Sorry to hijack your thread but what are the row of lights at the top of the back box for? Mine do not light up at all.

#13 4 years ago

Match numbers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-vulcan-game-over-logic-inverted?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.