You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
8CB86F8F-7694-4D2C-8B46-98239A73B793 (resized).jpeg
4CED6005-BEF0-490A-B928-DF2BC86D8637 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Hi gang, you may remember a few weeks ago a fellow Pinsider was posting here with issues on his GTB Volley. The O relay won't fire or engage and thus, the ball won't kick out.

I think he got a little frustrated -- alot of it was just his newness to the hobby and not being able to read a schematic.

He reached out to me and I'm trying to help him. I'd love YOUR help as well. Although I can read a schematic fairly well now, I still do struggle with bits of it.

Below I've pasted what I think are the two pertinent pieces of the schematic and the Operating Instructions start-up sequence in the manual.

First, the symptoms:

Upon power up, he says the game score motor turns, the score-reels reset to zero, and all three target banks reset. That appears to take us all the way to Step 5 in the Operating Instructions in the image below. I should note that in order to GET to where we are now, he did some adjustments on the game, as before it was not getting that far through the start-up sequence. I believe he made an adjustment, he says, to the O and Q relays.

He says that he does have power to the flippers, but that O never pulls in (and obviously doesn't stay locked in). He says it's as if the score motor isn't turning long enough.

Here's where I'd like your assistance so I can help him. He does not have jumper wires to my knowledge, nor does he know how to use them. I was going to have him do the following:

1. Double-check that the outhole switch is cleaned and adjusted so that it's closing firmly when the ball is there.
2. Then check the O Relay and the Yellow+Red wire which runs the motor. Seems like if the outhole switch checks out, that's the next place to start because O should be actuating and that switch should be running the score motor.

After that, I'd like your help. I see the path through the NC switches at Motor 1C, Motor 2B and the Start relay, and assume I should have him check those next? Then I'm not sure about the far-right side of the schematic where it shows the NC switch on the Ball Count Unit and also the make-break switch with the red wire on AX. Do those last two also need to be checked?

One last point of confusion for me. The Operating Instructions startup sequence in Step 5 says that a motor 4C switch closes and actuates the ball return coil, which kicks the ball out. Why is that 4C switch not in the path below?

Thanks for your assistance.

Mark

#2 4 years ago

4CED6005-BEF0-490A-B928-DF2BC86D8637 (resized).jpeg4CED6005-BEF0-490A-B928-DF2BC86D8637 (resized).jpeg8CB86F8F-7694-4D2C-8B46-98239A73B793 (resized).jpeg8CB86F8F-7694-4D2C-8B46-98239A73B793 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

One last point of confusion for me. The Operating Instructions startup sequence in Step 5 says that a motor 4C switch closes and actuates the ball return coil, which kicks the ball out. Why is that 4C switch not in the path below?

The path to the O/Ball Return relay is highlighted above but the Motor 4C switch is likely in the path of the Ball Return (kicker) solenoid instead, in series with a switch on the O/Ball Return relay. The solenoid should be listed in the "Other Coils Used" table on the schematic.

So when the O/Ball Return relay fires, it stays on for the duration of the Score Motor cycle until switch 2B opens. The Ball Return solenoid fires when the Motor 4C switch closes and the O/Ball Return relay is active.

/Mark

#4 4 years ago

I see the path through the NC switches at Motor 1C, Motor 2B and the Start relay, and assume I should have him check those next?

As you noted it could be one of several switches in that circuit, but I have had this particular problem before, and in my case the 2B switch was the issue. The switches on 2B are supposed to close right at the end of a score motor cycle, and the follower was hanging up on the cam, keeping the switch open when the motor stopped. This kind of goes along with:

He says it's as if the score motor isn't turning long enough.

The switches you mentioned are pretty easy to check visually if nothing else, so that's a good spot to start. If he has a multimeter to check resistance on the circuit, that may help in place of a jumper wire.

The manual should also have a page towards the back that gives some information about what every switch on the score motor does. Sometimes that information can make things clear that aren't always obvious from the schematic.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

As you noted it could be one of several switches in that circuit, but I have had this particular problem before, and in my case the 2B switch was the issue. The switches on 2B are supposed to close right at the end of a score motor cycle, and the follower was hanging up on the cam, keeping the switch open when the motor stopped. This kind of goes along with:

The switches you mentioned are pretty easy to check visually if nothing else, so that's a good spot to start. If he has a multimeter to check resistance on the circuit, that may help in place of a jumper wire.
The manual should also have a page towards the back that gives some information about what every switch on the score motor does. Sometimes that information can make things clear that aren't always obvious from the schematic.

I'll have him re-check 2B. I had him check the switch itself the other night, but not the follower/cam interaction to see if it's opening too soon. One thing: Isn't 2B in the lock-in circuit? His problem seems to be that O isn't pulling in at all in the first place (meaning the lock-in path seems like it's not relevant, at least not yet). Can someone confirm my thinking?

Quoted from MarkG:

The path to the O/Ball Return relay is highlighted above but the Motor 4C switch is likely in the path of the Ball Return (kicker) solenoid instead, in series with a switch on the O/Ball Return relay. The solenoid should be listed in the "Other Coils Used" table on the schematic.

So when the O/Ball Return relay fires, it stays on for the duration of the Score Motor cycle until switch 2B opens. The Ball Return solenoid fires when the Motor 4C switch closes and the O/Ball Return relay is active.
/Mark

Thanks, Mark - I'll also look at that path with 4C in it.

#6 4 years ago

Just wanted to flag my question in the previous post, because it’s hard to see amid the tax.

Am I correct that I can ignore the O lock-in path, because O is not pulling it at all?

If that’s true, which part of the path highlighted do I need to focus on?

Sincere thanks to you guys!

#7 4 years ago

Am I correct that I can ignore the O lock-in path, because O is not pulling it at all?

Yes, the O relay should not be initially activated through its lock in switch.

A couple of things to try:
- If you manually activate the O relay with a pencil or something non conductive does the motor turn and the ball kicker fire?
- At the end of reset when the ball won't kick out, what happens if you manually close the trough switch? If the Ball Count advances that would prove that most of the switches in the O relay circuit are good leaving only the Ball Return switch and its wires as suspects.

#8 4 years ago

Thanks, Mark. I've asked him to try these and will report back. So appreciate you on this site!

#9 4 years ago

I'll have him re-check 2B. I had him check the switch itself the other night, but not the follower/cam interaction to see if it's opening too soon. One thing: Isn't 2B in the lock-in circuit? His problem seems to be that O isn't pulling in at all in the first place (meaning the lock-in path seems like it's not relevant, at least not yet). Can someone confirm my thinking?

The phrasing in the manual can make it unclear. It should be read as:

"O" relay [actuates *and* locks in] through a Motor 2B switch

and not

"O" relay actuates, and [locks in through a Motor 2B switch]

Note that the lock-in path for O is only different in that it bypasses the ball return switch and the motor 1C switch.

The switches on 2B are open towards the end of the score motor cycle, then should close right at the end, and be closed when the motor is at rest. The O relay will never pull in if 2B is open at rest. It may not be that the switches are opening too soon, but they don't close at end of cycle.

Back to your original post:

Then I'm not sure about the far-right side of the schematic where it shows the NC switch on the Ball Count Unit and also the make-break switch with the red wire on AX. Do those last two also need to be checked?

These do need to be checked to eliminate all the possible failure points. If he was having issues with resetting before this, it's possible that the switch on AX was adjusted to fix that problem, but when AX gets reset, it doesn't make the connection required for O.

#10 4 years ago

Ok, so I had him test what Mark suggested above as a starting point, and if he holds in the O Relay, the motor turns and he can get the ball to kick out.

So help me with my still-learning thinking here: If we can get the Ball Return coil to fire by simulating that O is pulling in, then the path to the Ball Return coil is not the problem, right? So we've eliminated that path (NC switch on O and NO switch at motor 4C), correct?

So then the problem must be in the O Relay path itself (since it won't fire at all). In that path, it's not the ball-return switch, since in the simulation it kicks the ball out. So that leaves everything (moving left to right) from the Motor 1C switch, all the way to the make-break on AX with the red wire? Is that correct?

What to check next?

#11 4 years ago

Ok, so I had him test what Mark suggested above as a starting point, and if he holds in the O Relay, the motor turns and he can get the ball to kick out.
So help me with my still-learning thinking here: If we can get the Ball Return coil to fire by simulating that O is pulling in, then the path to the Ball Return coil is not the problem, right? So we've eliminated that path (NC switch on O and NO switch at motor 4C), correct?

Yes. You've essentially split the problem into two pieces and absolved one piece leaving you with a smaller piece (the O relay) to debug. Note that if you hold in the O relay you're not really testing the lock in circuit. If you briefly activate the O relay and let go and have it lock in while the Score Motor turns then you know that the lock in switch is working too.

The 2nd thing to try in reply #7 will test most of the remaining switches.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 210.00
Cabinet Parts
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-volley-issue-helping-out-a-fellow-pinsider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.