Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1078 (resized).JPG
20191208_125745 (resized).jpg
20191208_125625 (resized).jpg
20191025_170850 (resized).jpg
20191025_170758 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Alan_L.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

My friend has a Target Alpha that is set for Free Play and with one press of the Start button, the game automatically sets up for four players. I'm sure that this is probably a simple adjustment, but being more of a solid state guy, I'm not sure where. Also, after the last ball is played on player four, the game doesn't want to finish: the score motor keeps spinning and won't go into game over. I have the schematic.

TIA

Al

4 weeks later
#5 4 years ago

Just getting back to this thing after vacation, family issues, etc.

Turns out you got that right.

Nothing at all.

I see the 8 switches on the schematic but I can't find them on the machine, and I don't know what the letters (C, D, G, O, P, S, W, MOTOR 1C) stand for.
My score motor looks different from the diagram on the schematic, see pics.
I must be looking at it wrong.

I checked the AX, BX, DX, and Q (Game Over) relays: all are adjusted properly. The Q relay locks on at power up and does not release when the AX relay is manually activated.

If you mean the Coin Unit, I unscrewed it and cleaned the contacts, but it looks just like the pics on Clay's website. It never moves or does anything.
At power up the score reel lights for Players one and four come on.

Simple adjustment, yeah right.

20191025_170758 (resized).jpg20191025_170758 (resized).jpg20191025_170850 (resized).jpg20191025_170850 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#9 4 years ago

Hi Howard,

I did just make a major breakthrough this afternoon, I got it working...kinda..sort of...mostly.

Before when I it the Start button, the score reels would reset then Player One started racking up points on the 1,000 point reel and wouldn't stop until I turned it off. I looked for a stuck switch without luck for quite some time until I found two switch lugs touching each other on the 5-bank drop target housing. Pulled them apart and that problem was fixed. It now starts and plays a game, all switches, lamps and chimes work.

The machine still is confused though. At power up, only the score reel lights for players 1 and 4 light up, 2 and 3 do not. I believe all four players' reel lights should be on. When you start a game, player 4's reel lights go out and player 1's stay on as they should. You can press the start button 3 more times to light all four players. But when you drain player 1, ball 1, the machine does not advance to ball 2 (if playing a single player), or player 2 (if playing multiple players), much less players 3 and 4.

I think that I have the switches on the AX, BX, DX, and Q relays adjusted properly. I think. Both of the large switches on the coin unit are closed for one player operation.

BTW, I wanted to thank you for explaining the diagram for the Score Motor switches to me.

I'll try and explain it to anyone else who doesn't understand it. (Lord, I hope I'm not the only one)

The switch numbers in the diagram in post #5 above do not refer to the actual switches themselves, but to the HOLES in the metal bracket below the rotating disc. Notice a double line on each end of the switch number hole in the diagram. That is where the white spacers are at the ends of each switch bank, opposite the end where the bakelite spacers and screws are. For example, switch #4 is the one with two switch stacks just to the right or the large hole in my pic of the rotating disc. Switch #1 is the double stack at the bottom left corner of my pic, perpendicular to switch #4. Switch #2 is parallel to #4 and switch 3 is right next to the small hole in my pic.

2 weeks later
#10 4 years ago

Would someone tell me what is the correct position for the rotating finger on this GTB Target Alpha Player Unit?
I am looking for the position with the game on, and the Start button pressed once for a one player game.
Now I think that the previous owner may have taken this unit apart and not put it back together properly, and maybe even the coin unit as well.

20191208_125625 (resized).jpg20191208_125625 (resized).jpg20191208_125745 (resized).jpg20191208_125745 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#12 4 years ago

The upshot:

Finally got his TA fixed, running and sold. It had a variety of problems, the Player Unit (above) was improperly disassembled and reassembled by a previous owner, an obscure single Jones plug was misplaced and there was a broken wire on the 3-5 ball adjustment so the game didn't know whether it was a 3-ball or a 5-ball game, so it just stayed with ball 1, over and over.

Thanks to all who offered advice and pics.

Alan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Alan_L.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-target-alpha-goes-to-4-players-automatically?tu=Alan_L and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.