(Topic ID: 180072)

GTB System 1 Spinner Scoring Slow

By Tektune

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi, I recently acquired my first GTB System 1 pinball machine, a GTB Dragon. I have several system 80 machines, but this is the first system 1. When hitting the spinner hard and fast, the machine doesn't start registering the spins until the rotation slows considerably, and the player feels cheated out of some points. I have checked the gap on the spinner contacts. Question, is this normal for a GTB system 1 machine, to be slow to register/recognize a fast rotating spinner? Is this caused by an early design slow MPU, or coded this way on purpose, or some other issue? Thanks for any replies!

#2 7 years ago

I am not an expert, but some people have been complaining that the System 1 cannot handle quick switches of any playfield contacts. There is a latency in the processing and that is certainly why the spinner will only register so few times.

Now, most people run a Janin PI board or some CPU replacement board that will be capable to handle the interrupts at a much higher rate.
Therefore, for such modified System 1 pinballs, the problem will not be visible.

Yves

#3 7 years ago

So, what I'm hearing is that the OEM mpu is too slow to handle rapid scoring contacts. There are several brands of after market replacements, are some faster than others? This seems like it could be a deal breaker when choosing a replacement. Thanks!

#4 7 years ago

If you have the early version Rockwell ROM set in the original CPU this is normal. The second ROM set somewhat corrected this but not completely.

1 week later
#5 7 years ago

Agreed, my Dragon seems the same way. Kind of makes lighting the spinner a red herring.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-system-1-spinner-scoring-slow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.