• Latest reply 2 years ago by Knxwledge
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_2021-06-07_215138 (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Hey guys, trying to get a Gottlieb Sounds & Speech Board working for a Black Hole I am repairing.

Symptoms: Game emits a very loud consistent "screach" tone as soon as the machine is booted (any time there is power applied to the board). The test button does nothing.

Diagnostics: I am getting pings on the sound select lines at the CPU board output, the S&S board input, through the invertor to the RIOT chip.

Benchtesting:
Replaced all the electrolytic caps.
I built a harness, and I have all 4 voltages hooked up, as well as a speaker. The board will power up and emit the same screach. I disconnect the speaker and put headphones on the pre-amp side of the amp (the middle lug of the volume pot) and I get nothing at all.
I've pull the 6502 and replaced it with one from another arcae board. I've tested the 6532 in my NeoLoch Tester, it tests fine, but I replaced it anyway since it was socketed.

I've ordered a replacement board from someone here on pinside, but I'd still like to get this one going since I know I am very close to getting it working.

#2 5 years ago

I had that screeching problem on my Gottlieb Circus and it turned out to be the amplifier section of my sound board that went bad. Don't know that this is your problem but worth checking.

3 weeks later
#3 4 years ago

Does anyone have a spare 6 digit score display for a Black Hole? I had one drop out.

Nate

#4 4 years ago

If desired...I made testroms for these boards. In order to use it, you will need to create a Jamma connector with some (dip)switches and pull up resistors to test the inputs. Send me a message if you would like to receive it.

Marco

2 years later
#5 2 years ago

My Mars sound/speech board started doing very a similar thing. When turned on there's a constant screech. Test button does nothing. Volume pot does affect the sound. Turning the cabinet off does play the correct sound.

Initially when I got it I recapped it and cleaned socketed chip legs. It was working good until the Tip640 on the sound/speech power supply took a crap on me and started blowing the power supply fuse. Replaced that and Im getting 12.3v and 31.5v at the sound board harness.

Anyone have any suggestions? I might have to send this one off for repair because Im scared I'll make it worse and these are so hard to come by!

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

My Mars sound/speech board started doing very a similar thing. When turned on there's a constant screech. Test button does nothing. Volume pot does affect the sound. Turning the cabinet off does play the correct sound.
Initially when I got it I recapped it and cleaned socketed chip legs. It was working good until the Tip640 on the sound/speech power supply took a crap on me and started blowing the power supply fuse. Replaced that and Im getting 12.3v and 31.5v at the sound board harness.
Anyone have any suggestions? I might have to send this one off for repair because Im scared I'll make it worse and these are so hard to come by!

You need to isolate exactly "WHERE" the screech is being generated.

Is is being made by the sound electronics OR merely the audio amplifier?

If you don't understand the difference, please send it out for repair.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

I do understand that concept in theory but being able to actually put it into practice by tracking the problem down on my board is a different story. I would say it's probably not the amp though, because along with the screech I do hear the normal speaker hum, and it is properly playing the sound that occurs when the game is turned off. Regardless it will probably get sent out.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

I probed the data lines coming off the 6502 and pin 31 and 32 are stuck high. Pin 22 is high and low but the pulse light isnt going off. Pin 37 is the same. Indication of a bad 6502? I somehow dont have one to swap it out with

#9 2 years ago

I've realized the problem is probably either the clock, U25, U2, or the 6502, considering pin 37 of the CPU (the clock signal) is stuck hi/lo, not pulsing. Of course I've realized this after putting in my order for parts and not buying the crystal lol. Hopefully it's not the crystal and I can fix it.

#10 2 years ago

Crystals rarely give trouble. It happens but very rare. I have (in desperation) replaced over 20 xtals in various items in the last 12 months and it wasn't the crystal one single time!

Don't be too quick to think the crystal is faulty - chances are that it isn't.

Careful with terminology as well. "Clock" means the entire clock generation circuit usually, not ONLY the crystal, which is but one component in the clock circuit.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

Crystals rarely give trouble. It happens but very rare. I have (in desperation) replaced over 20 xtals in various items in the last 12 months and it wasn't the crystal one single time!
Don't be too quick to think the crystal is faulty - chances are that it isn't.
Careful with terminology as well. "Clock" means the entire clock generation circuit usually, not ONLY the crystal, which is but one component in the clock circuit.

Thank you, I did mean crystal. When I get my parts order in, I will start by swapping the 6502, then trying to piggyback U2, then trying to piggyback U25. Hopefully I'm on the right track

Attached schematics:

image_2021-06-07_215138 (resized).pngimage_2021-06-07_215138 (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-sys80-samps-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.