(Topic ID: 202706)

GTB Sys. 80a: 2 big orange capacitors, replace with what?

By Alan_L

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RWH
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Just picked up a GTB System 80a Jacks To Open with the two original orange capacitors in the cab, 6800uf, 25 volt. I've seen recommended replacements at $9.00 each (12,000uf, 25 volts) plus a new mounting ring. I found new 6800uf, 35 volt caps online at $1.60 shipped each that will fit in the old mounting ring.

Which way should I go? Thanks

#2 1 year ago

The 1.60 caps --> if it sounds too good to be true...
How old are they?
Who's are they? Some unknown, off brand Chinese cap?
Computer grade, screw terminal caps? Or much cheaper radial style with leads?

The screw terminal caps are often called computer grade but few computers use them anylonger. These are always physically larger in size than comparable standard radial caps. This is for two reasons --
Screw terminal caps have better seals.
Screw terminal caps can dissipate heat better.

Gotta compare apples to oranges when you have such a large price difference.

#3 1 year ago

Can you post links for the caps you are looking at?

#4 1 year ago

ebay.com link » 10pcs Electrolytic Capacitors 25v 6800uf Volume 16x30mm 6800uf 25v

Ed, I understand apples and oranges, what I'm trying to find out here is if 6800uf 25v was under specified by GTB, and I really need caps like yours, or in this instance can I get by with minimum quality and save $20.

I've been a good GPE customer (not to mention a Husker fan) for years and will continue to buy from you. I was just ....asking a question.

#5 1 year ago

Nah, you really don't need 12000. A 10K would have been a better choice but I don't carry that one. I really should look into that size. Something like my CER-10000uF-25V would be decent capacitance-wise. But, being a standard radial cap - these don't work nicely with the cap clamps nor the existing wire attaching method.

The 6800 is actually running a bit small but the System 80's really didn't draw much power anyways so ... regardless of how small the value seems, they do work.
You could get by with 6800's but I would avoid the cheap Chinese caps in the ebay link (there's a reason they are that cheap).

This one is a nice, long life cap ... but is already ~10 years old:
ebay.com link » Cap Alum 10000uf 25v Radial Can Solder Lug 28 Mohm 100hz 15000 Hrs 85 C

Fortunately, 10 years of shelf life is much easier on a cap than 10 years of 'in use' life.

#6 1 year ago

I got this from Ed ( Richey 12000MFD 25VDC Screw top terminals) to replace mine and so far it's working flawlessly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Sebring, FL
€ 8.40
$ 4.95
$ 20.90
Apparel - Unisex
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Great American Pinball
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 50.00
Lighting - Led
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 46.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Protection
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 20.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 14.95
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 115.00
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside