(Topic ID: 211193)

Solved. Gtb Sky Jump - ball kick out often fails

By Eightball88

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

The ball kick out on my Sky Jump often fails, with the ball rolling far enough down the trough to trigger the ball advance but not enough to make it to the shooter lane. The coil is original but seems ok, it fires consistently. I suspect that the ball sometimes hits the roof of the apron, thereby slowing it enough for it to fail. I examined the mechanism but there does not seem to be any way to adjust the launch angle?

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

#2 6 years ago

The part that kicks the ball may be worn enough to send it up and not out, as you suggest. Take the apron off and observe how the ball is kicked. Maybe you can file the kickout arm or bend it slightly. This happened on one of my machines and I was able to tweak the arm.

#3 6 years ago

If the angle, etc. are ok, it may be that the kicker assembly/coil sleeve/plunger need cleaning.

#4 6 years ago

i know that a lot of the time the score motor switch will screw with the force of the outhole kicker. i would clean and adjust the switch before i start adjusting the kicker tip

#5 6 years ago

Check the pawl on the score motor - I had the same issue on a different Gottlieb machine, and the pawl was on short instead of long. However, if the machine just started doing this, then the pawl setting is not the problem.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Check the pawl on the score motor - I had the same issue on a different Gottlieb machine, and the pawl was on short instead of long. However, if the machine just started doing this, then the pawl setting is not the problem.

And lastly dirtflipper detailed a fix where if the ball doesnt adequately sit in the kicker cradle... you place a contact finger (with a right angle end) in the hole to help align the ball.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

And lastly dirtflipper detailed a fix where if the ball doesnt adequately sit in the kicker cradle... you place a contact finger (with a right angle end) in the hole to help align the ball.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-gottlieb-ball-return-not-kicking-ball-out-to-shooter-one-cause

#8 6 years ago

Thank you SirScott, I think that post is exactly what is going on with my SJ. Knowing what the issue is is half the battle! Now for the other half....the fix.

1 week later
#9 6 years ago

Problem solved! I removed the assembly, cleaned and lubed it. I could tell it made a difference, much smoother, especially at the pivot on the mounting bracket. Put it back together and voila, the ball kicks out every time, stronger than ever.

Thank you for all the helpful posts!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-sky-jump-ball-kick-out-often-fails and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.