Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2829.JPG
image-718.jpg
image-76.jpg
beverly-hillbillies-2.jpg
start.JPG
#1 10 years ago

i've been messing around with this for awhile, and i'm not getting anywhere with it... here's the scenario...

- there are credits on the machine...

- push start button, machine does not start...

- "tilt" machine, push start button, machine starts...

- insert dime into slot, machine starts, whether "tilted" or not or whether there are credits or not...

me confused... i can't seem to figure out where the difference is that causes it to start via coin (or via "tilt/start") vs. just pushing the start button...

any ideas?

#2 10 years ago

How are the credit plugs set up? Usually a coin switch set up so 1 coin=1 play will start the machine without credits on the counter. Sounds to me like you have a switch on the credit unit that needs attention because it won't start that way.

#3 10 years ago

^^^

thanks for chiming in steve... i'll re-check (and clean) the jones plugs...

what's odd is that if i "tilt" the machine, the start button will then start a game...

#4 10 years ago

I dont have the schematic handy but heres a similar.

When you tilt the machine the closed tilt switch (TB relay) is in the circuit if its similar to this.

If thats holds true check your 0 position ball count switch

--Jeff

start.JPGstart.JPG

#5 10 years ago

thanks jeff, i'll check that....

2 months later
#6 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

I dont have the schematic handy but heres a similar.
When you tilt the machine the closed tilt switch (TB relay) is in the circuit if its similar to this.
If thats holds true check your 0 position ball count switch
--Jeff

start.JPG 59 KB

<blows some dust off the topic>

life is getting back to normal and i finally got a chance to look at this...

jeff hit it on the head... one of the switches on the zero position ball count was not closing correctly... cleaning and gapping that switch made the problem go away...

thanks jeff...

#7 10 years ago

woot!
no go get your ass kicked by a Royal Guard.

just a brutal machine

--Jeff

#8 10 years ago

Chris is back.

Where the **** have you been?

Had chips from upstate for you, needed help with my drop targets, and I need those switches.

Plus I was worried you fell off your roof.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

woot!
no go get your ass kicked by a Royal Guard.
just a brutal machine
--Jeff

woot is right! good call by you there...

yes, it sure is... you really have to manhandle it to keep the ball in play... those outlane gaps are HUGE...

Quoted from fflint_18:

Chris is back.
Had chips from upstate for you, needed help with my drop targets, and I need those switches.
Plus I was worried you fell off your roof.

haven't been far... just had a whole boatload of things pop up at the same time... nothing major, but taken together, it took all of my (limited) attention span....

damn i missed out on my chips... thought you were gonna borrow the tumbler? drop me a text...

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from fflint_18:

Chris is back.

Yea Chris!

Don't be a stranger!

Y'all come back now ya hear!beverly-hillbillies-2.jpgbeverly-hillbillies-2.jpg

#11 10 years ago

hey ken...

i'm HOPING not to be a stranger... i've had enough fun with "real life" for awhile, thank you....

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

woot is right! good call by you there...
yes, it sure is... you really have to manhandle it to keep the ball in play... those outlane gaps are HUGE...

haven't been far... just had a whole boatload of things pop up at the same time... nothing major, but taken together, it took all of my (limited) attention span....
damn i missed out on my chips... thought you were gonna borrow the tumbler? drop me a text...

Hard to keep Middleswarth chips in the house with 2 boys.

No worries I'll get more.

Will text you over the weekend.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

woot!no go get your ass kicked by a Royal Guard.
just a brutal machine
--Jeff

I finished a restoration of one last year. I love the game. Complete cab repaint, repro backglass, rebuilt the entire playfield.

The snap targets are killers. Nailing one just a bit the wrong way and it's SDTM, even with the posts, or out the outlanes. Very difficult game to beat consistently.

#14 10 years ago

i have a love/hate relationship with mine... sometimes i'll turn it on, play 2 games, and have had enough... others, i'll play it for an hour straight... i gotta be in the mood for it...

as noted, it is very hard to beat, especially if you set the replay scores pretty high... also, it requires a certain amount of "em skill" (i.e. "educated" nudging with the appropriate force, not just shaking the hell out of the machine) to play... mine sits right next to a 4 square, and my bestie will push the button on the 4 square every time... he HATES the royal guard, he feels he has no chance of beating it... he loses control of the ball to the slings, and once you do that on the rg, the party is over, the ball is going to go down the outlane in a real hurry...

the "two different specials" is a cool feature...

like most games of this era, it truly benefits from everything being properly rebuilt... this one was a dog when i got it, and wasn't fun at all... after making several deposits into the "bank of steve" and spending some time on it, it's now downright zippy...

#15 10 years ago

I still need to do a bit of adjusting on mine, I think the bumpers/bumper relays need a bit of fine tuning. It plays really well as is, though. Just want to make it a bit better.

Once the slings start on it, though, unless you can get the ball off them, you're done. The ball will deflect off the snap targets and down she goes, or it will hit the fan targets and just die, and down she goes again. The slings just kill you on this game.

No inlanes means you have to be skillful to catch and trap the ball and aim at the fan targets for the special. Those things are maddening since they alternate on every one point scored and you seemingly always end up with the ball on same side flipper as the lit fan target.

Every once in awhile you'll get the targets lit and you can really rack up the replays, but more often than not, this game will just kick your ass. It will score well if you get the lower 500 rollovers lit, but you inevitably end up 200-300 points short of a replay.

Some games, I just try and get the ball back up top. If you get the standups lit for 100 points and keep shooting it up there, you can run up the score, plus, you can get the ball back through the upper rollovers and light up more of the bottom ones, and get the upper special lit.

I played Tim Arnold's in the PHOF in Vegas back in 2011. Had never played the game before. I beat the crap out of it, but that game is a bit rough and slow. Playing one that is restored and faster is a totally different deal. But that experience led me to get mine. I love those snap targets, but they're a dangerous shot.

1 week later
#16 10 years ago

mine still needs a bit of adjusting here and there... it's getting there... finally got rid of a chattery sling this week...

i also should make some new actuators for the flipper switches... mine are mangled, but they work...

the pops could probably use to be rebuilt, although somewhere along the line somebody worked on them, because i doubt that this is factory wiring for the light socket... sadly, this is not the only wiring hack this machine has/had...

image-76.jpgimage-76.jpg

image-718.jpgimage-718.jpg

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

this is not the only wiring hack this machine has/had...

Is that the pop bumper wiring?

#18 10 years ago

the light socket for the pop... he cut the legs off of the old socket and soldered wire onto it... then ran the wire through the pf and soldered it into the wiring for the light...

yes, all 4 of them are done the same way...

#19 10 years ago

Something you may consider.
I do not alter the wiring at the pop light leads protruding through the playfield that stays factory.

I sometimes will modify pop light wiring when i remove the pop assembly by putting spade terminal connectors (crimped and soldered) farther up the wire.
Some may call it a hack but if done correct and near the harness you can tuck into it and no one would notice. I zip tied mine outside for easy identification but i could be put inside it if need be.
Once you unplug the terminals,remove the screws in the pop body and the pop bumper ring nuts.

IMG_2829.JPGIMG_2829.JPG

Done fast.
One thing important make sure the terminals fit through the holes in the playfield and also check the polarity of the socket/wires and be sure to put them to the correct terminal!

#20 10 years ago

^^^

i think i like that idea...

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Some may call it a hack but if done correct and near the harness you can tuck into it and no one would notice.

I would notice. This is totally unacceptable and you should be soundly flogged!!! Heathen!!!
No, actually a nice idea, but once you've shopped the game and replaced the necessary components you usually don't have to remove the pop again in this lifetime, so I usually just solder it back the way it was.

#22 10 years ago

^^ That method works well for the non-adhesive mylars for the pops is why i decided to do that.
Makes easier teardown to clean under them when its time to wax the playfield again.

#23 10 years ago

That was the only reason I could think of to remove a pop bumper after rebuilding. Good idea!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-royal-guard-strange-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.