• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TimMe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

This one had been a long time coming.

Upon pressing the start button of North Star, the bank that has the reset relay and the rollovers would continually fire between five and ten times before finally "catching" and dropping the balls. Today I'm stuck in a continual reset.

It is only the reset coil that is continually tripping in the bank, all the other Rollover coils in the bank reset fine on the first try. There are no stuck switches on the playfield. I've removed it entirely to make certain. I cleaned all the switches in the offending bank and made sure the leaves were gapped correctly.

Would my problem be on this bank or further upstream? I'll be happy to provide any other information needed.

Thanks in advance!

#2 7 years ago

There are a few reasons this can happen. Here are the two most common ones:

1. There is a switch stack on the ball gate. One of the switches is normally closed when the gate is down, and it opens when the gate is energized. This switch turns off the replay button. If the ball gate isn't opening properly, or this switch isn't adjusted properly, then pushing in the replay button and holding it in for too long will cause continual resets.

2. If there is a closely gapped coin switch on the front door that is making contact from the reset vibration, then your game may be resetting several times because it keeps seeing a coin switch closure.

- TimMe

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for the reply TimMe.

It didn't seem to be either of those issues. However after fiddling with the troublesome bank I've got the game to behave like it was before: firing two or three times before finally "catching" and dropping the balls. I'll just leave it for now until it craps out again.

#4 7 years ago

If those things look OK, and fiddling with the bank helped make it work better, then here are a few more suggestions:

1. Check that the large bank reset solenoid is working properly. In particular, check for mechanical binding of the bank reset crank arm. Binding can occur between the coil sleeve and the plunger; at the roll pin where the plunger connects to the crank; and at the crank pivot itself. Binding can also occur on the reset bar, which is attached to the bank. Check the reset bar pivots, and the contact point where the bank reset crank arm contacts the reset bar and pushes it up.

2. If this game has an armature switch (a solitary switch located on the bottom of the bank frame) clean and re-gap this switch and make sure it is closing when the armature for the relay (usually a reset relay) is pulled in.

3. Make sure that the bank is fully seated into the end brackets. Loosen the two wing-nuts that hold the bank in each end-bracket, and re-seat the bank in the bracket, pushing the bank forward into the bracket slots as far as possible. Re-tighten the wing nuts and make sure they are VERY tight.

4. Operate the bank reset solenoid manually by pushing in the plunger and confirm that the reset crank arm is pushing the reset bar up high enough so that all of the relays latch reliably. If they don't, and you've done all of the above, then you'll need to adjust the position of the bank reset solenoid frame until the reset bar is pushed up high enough to make the relays latch.

5. Clean and gap the motor switch that operates the bank reset solenoid to ensure it is getting a solid pulse. This switch is almost always located at motor position 2C, but if you have a schematic, check it to see where the motor switch for the bank reset solenoid is located.

6. Check that the fuse for the bank reset solenoid is in good shape. In particular, check that the clips on the fuse holder are clamping the fuse tightly, and that the fuse itself is intact with no loose end-caps.

- TimMe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-north-star-startup-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.