(Topic ID: 194544)

GTB North Star Score Motor/Relay Bank Issue?

By spiroagnew

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

Intermittent problem on my North Star finally became mittent (?). Blessing, as it can now be fixed permanently, right?

Score reels reset to zero. But score motor runs indefinitely. One relay bank indefinitely fires while the score motor runs. The second relay bank, which houses the start relay refuses to fire at all. Coil and fuse check good. Previously, if I just waited, the game would finally "catch", drop the balls and start a game after the score motor and the relay bank fired a handful of times.

I found that if I activate that second relay bank coil manually, the balls will drop, and a game will start. Everything will score in this state except the two bottom rollovers near the flippers. Game will never reach game over though.

Excerpts of the schematic can be posted post haste. I need a little help with the logic of following the circuit and which contact to check.

Thanks in advance EM folks.

#2 6 years ago

Here's the circuit that resets your relay banks. Be very careful and you should probably unplug the machine while working on it because this circuit runs on the full 120 volt line.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#3 6 years ago

Thanks to Howard, I found the NC switch on DB that wasn't making. It now closes properly and was probably the switch that was flaky all along.

But now, when I push the replay button to start a game, the SB start relay engages, but nothing else happens.  If I manually turn the score motor the game starts and plays fine.

#4 6 years ago

Here's the circuit that runs the motor, along with the switches most likely out of adjustment.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#5 6 years ago

Right again, Howard. Make/Break on SB wasn't making the proper connection. When pressing down on the SB actuator after it was engaged it would make the contact, and start a game...one a minor adjustment set it right. North Star is happy again.

Big thanks to HowardR

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-north-star-score-motorrelay-bank-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.