GTB North Star Score Motor/Relay Bank Issue?

(Topic ID: 194544)

GTB North Star Score Motor/Relay Bank Issue?

By spiroagnew

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by spiroagnew
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

Intermittent problem on my North Star finally became mittent (?). Blessing, as it can now be fixed permanently, right?

Score reels reset to zero. But score motor runs indefinitely. One relay bank indefinitely fires while the score motor runs. The second relay bank, which houses the start relay refuses to fire at all. Coil and fuse check good. Previously, if I just waited, the game would finally "catch", drop the balls and start a game after the score motor and the relay bank fired a handful of times.

I found that if I activate that second relay bank coil manually, the balls will drop, and a game will start. Everything will score in this state except the two bottom rollovers near the flippers. Game will never reach game over though.

Excerpts of the schematic can be posted post haste. I need a little help with the logic of following the circuit and which contact to check.

Thanks in advance EM folks.

#2 1 year ago

Here's the circuit that resets your relay banks. Be very careful and you should probably unplug the machine while working on it because this circuit runs on the full 120 volt line.

Pinball (resized).png

#3 1 year ago

Thanks to Howard, I found the NC switch on DB that wasn't making. It now closes properly and was probably the switch that was flaky all along.

But now, when I push the replay button to start a game, the SB start relay engages, but nothing else happens.  If I manually turn the score motor the game starts and plays fine.

#4 1 year ago

Here's the circuit that runs the motor, along with the switches most likely out of adjustment.

Pinball (resized).png

#5 1 year ago

Right again, Howard. Make/Break on SB wasn't making the proper connection. When pressing down on the SB actuator after it was engaged it would make the contact, and start a game...one a minor adjustment set it right. North Star is happy again.

Big thanks to howardr

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 15.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
$ 49.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 105.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.50

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside