Just completed a major resto on this machine which I picked up at an estate sale a couple of months back. Machine had been kept in an open fronted shed without use for around 20 years, with recorded plays of 144k, & was in a pretty sick state.
Although the cab sides looked presentable in pics there was significant delamination & splintering, the cab front was dead, the rear underside was badly damaged from apparently being dragged on the ground and the lightbox face was seriously splintered. As well the right cab front had broken away & was warped so after repairs a respray was a must.
A host of operational issues existed. All steppers were seized, score reels were badly gummed and EOS switches broken. The motor board although housing lots of outback dust was in reasonable shape but nevertheless the score motor was dismantled and serviced and relays cleaned & contacts checked. A foreign mains connecting block was removed & ground wires reset. The cab bottom had been lined with aluminium foil which was grounded to the transformer! The on/off switch was bypassed so the machine when connected was always on!
The upper pf presented some difficulties. Under the dust revealed full pf mylar-yuk. The upper ball trail mylar had been worn through to the pf proper and it & the upper hole kickers had been covered with masking tape.
There was minor blistering of the mylar in a couple of places on the pf but I have learnt there is 'no fixing mylar'-it is either left or removed. So I decided to remove the upper mylar down to the sides of the drop target bank. I believe that occurred ok with minor touch up only required.
Under pf included servicing of all components including rebuild of the drop target bank including new drop targets. I found in testing that the switch contact points on the right hole kicker & ball return were loose & giving intermittent contact. A raid of the parts bin for replacement contact leafs resolved the issue.
The coin mechanisms were rebuilt & a lid fabricated for the coin box.
This is the completed machine.
(bg is toasted-replacement ordered from Steve Azzam)
The machine plays really nice & fast-wow those outer drain lanes are however deadly. On the lower flippers I had installed 'orange dots' but for this game they were just overly powerful so reverted to standard 5141s. I found on King Pin the setting of the lower & upper flippers is critical to maximise gameplay. I also found that the upper flippers really do play a great functional role on this game.
Overall really happy with result & to have a King Pin in the line up.