4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goldenboy232.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi guys, I picked up this Jacks Open and the video below shows the odd behavior that it is experiencing upon attempted start up.

Basically, upon power up the score motor is already running. If you push start, the ball kicks out, but the bumpers and flippers are dead and the playfield doesn’t score (even though it lights up) and the motor never stops.

Sort of like it’s stuck in tilt, but with the score motor running and it still kicks the ball out. Any thoughts about where to begin?

Thanks!

Mark

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Which of these switches/relays is keeping the motor running?[quoted image]

I’ll check and report back, Howard. I won’t have access to the game again until Saturday morning due to a trip tomorrow. Thank you!

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I just finished my Jacks Open and got it working again. It’s a fun game. Stick with it. You’ll be happy once it’s done.

Thanks, yes I have Lucky Hand and love it. I want to get this one restored and offer it for sale since I’ll keep Lucky Hand. Great game(s)!

#6 4 years ago

Howard here is all I’ve been able to deduce so far. I have looked at the normally open switch with a red yellow wire on each of the relays marked.

All of them appear to be gapped correctly (fully open when they’re supposed to be).

As the score motor is spinning, the W relay is firing continually (pulling in and releasing, again and again).

The AX relay is doing the same thing (continually firing, trying to pull in, again and again).

If I block the switch on the W relay (2nd shooter) the score motor does stop, but the AX relay just buzzes. If I block the switch at motor 1C, the same thing happens (motor stops and AX buzzes).

Blocking any of the other switches doesn’t have an effect on the score motor.

Not sure where to go next. What is my next step?

The other odd thing as mentioned before, is that all of this happens immediately upon power up. I can then also hit the start button and the playfield will light up and the ball will kick out. if I hold down a scoring target like a 10 point scoring rubber, it will eventually score and “ding“, but it’s like it has to wait until the score motor gets to the right spot to do that. And it never goes to ball one on the stepper unit.

I did find a mangled drop target switch that was supposed to be open that had been bent closed and I thought that might be it, but that did not change anything.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Most likely one of your coin switches is stuck closed. Try unplugging the 1st & 2nd Coin Chute Adjustment:[quoted image]

Thank you, Howard, that was it. One of the coin switches was bent shut. I opened it up and this game that I drove 1,200 miles round-trip to pick up last week now essentially works 100%.

Needs a good clean up and I’ll post a thread on that soon. Thank you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goldenboy232.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-jacks-open-odd-behavior-?tu=goldenboy232 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.