20201209_074943 (resized).jpg
20201209_074814 (resized).jpg
20201209_074741 (resized).jpg
Motor 2C switch (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
Capture1 (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Thanks for looking......

Gtb Jacks Open. Hasn't been played for a while and I had a few games the other day only to find that the drops were struggling to drop fully and reset. Pulled them apart and cleaned everything up, they were a bit grotty and due for a clean. Now for the life of me, I can't get the targets to reset if they are all down. Adjusted contacts so there absolutely minimum resistance from them to raise the drops, played around with adjusting the coils to try to get as much plunger in the coil as possible whilst allowing full range of movement. It just seems that when the playfield is down, there is not enough strength in the reset coil/s to fire the drops up far enough for them to clip in place. The machine tries to do it repeatedly but the drops aren't lifting up far enough to reset.

The only thing I haven't done is put new coil sleeves in the drop reset coils.

The machine plays fine until it gets to a point where all drops are down. It follows the sequences fine, scores 99% of the time (I need to clean contacts as well). If one or two drops are up, the rest will reset no worries at all. It seems the added weight or resistance of the internal reset bar is just too much for it. If the playfield is up, they will more than likely reset, put the playfield down so gravity comes in to play as well and no joy.

As far as I am aware, coils are either good or bad. Both tested OK as far as Ohms go. There is no physical resistance to the plunger, they both move and slide freely in and out of the coil/s. The royal flush drop sequence works as it should.

Has anyone else encountered this and if so, what ended up solving the problem? As mentioned, the only thing I haven't done as I am thinking as I type are the coil sleeves. Other than that, I am about at my wits end.

#2 3 years ago

I would check to make sure that the contacts of whatever switches make the reset coils fire are clean and making good contact, just to make sure there's enough current getting to the coils.

Are the undersides of the metal arms that go through the drops and actually lift them badly worn? That bar that presses on the underside of the metal arms to lift them can wear pretty deep divots in those arms....sometimes not evenly. It sounds like you've already loosened those hex screws that hold the coils in place and played with changing their position.

It never hurts to replace sleeves, but if you're not feeling any friction as the plunger moves in and out, they're probably OK.

#3 3 years ago

Does is it reset ok all the time on start up?

Generally, make sure that you are OK mechanically - it seems like you are saying that you are.

You may not have enough dwell time on motor 2C switch, or it may be dirty, pitted etc. This switch supplies the current for a specified amount of time. If this time is too short due to dirt, pitting or misadjustment, it may cause a problem.

Also, there are two coils to worry about, so make sure they are both OK, no blown fuse for either one. They each have their own fuse.

#4 3 years ago

I would give 2C (fourth sw.) a good look, as well as the NC sw. on G and the NO sw. on P.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).pngCapture1 (resized).png
#5 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for your replies. I had a quick look at a few things mentioned in the posts above.

Coil Fuses - all tested OK.

In response to a few questions.

The drops try to reset when the machine is turned on if they are all down. Not enough punch to get them reset though.
The drops don't reset when the machine is turned on if only some of them are down.
The drops reset perfectly reset on game start if only some of them are down. If they are all down they try to reset but can't do it.

Now my experience with pinball machines is 99% DMD machines. I know enough about EM machines to keep them clean and not to play around with relays when I don't know what I am doing.

I have taken pics of the relays and what I believe is the switch at motor 2C. I have cleaned the contacts on this switch but no change in the problem. Could anyone confirm this is the correct switch please?

I have also taken pics of the relays to show how they are sitting at the moment. Can anyone see anything untoward in these?

Motor 2C switch (resized).jpgMotor 2C switch (resized).jpg20201209_074741 (resized).jpg20201209_074741 (resized).jpg20201209_074814 (resized).jpg20201209_074814 (resized).jpg20201209_074943 (resized).jpg20201209_074943 (resized).jpg20201209_074955 (resized).jpg20201209_074955 (resized).jpg
#6 3 years ago

I am still having trouble getting this beast to reset the drop targets if they are all down. I would really appreciate any help to try to sort this old girl out.

#7 3 years ago

The big red arrow in your annotated photograph looks like it is pointing to the correct switch because I can see a blue rubber-coated wire leading to it. Gottlieb typically only used rubber-coated wires (in long runs) for high-voltage circuits.

The targets reset when that switch dog falls into the valley on the C cam. With the game turned off, you can manually turn the score motor so it does this, then verify the switch with the rubber wire is closing nice and snugly. Is it?

#8 3 years ago

Here are the rules for resetting the drop targets. Which aren't working?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9 3 years ago

So.....golden rule No. 1 when checking fuses - taking the fuse out of the holder. Dead fuse on one coil was the cause of the drops not resetting fully.

I then had a few issues with mis-adjusted switches but after some trial and error the machine is back to playing 100%.

Thanks to everyone that posted advice.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Pintoxicated:

Dead fuse on one coil was the cause of the drops not resetting fully.

Glad you got it fixed. Just for grins last night, I pulled a fuse on my JO and it was able to re-set with only one coil active. You still may not be 100% ok mechanically, but if it works, you are ahead of where you were a few days ago.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

Glad you got it fixed. Just for grins last night, I pulled a fuse on my JO and it was able to re-set with only one coil active. You still may not be 100% ok mechanically, but if it works, you are ahead of where you were a few days ago.

As a matter of interest, it was the left hand coil fuse that was dead on mine. When I swapped the right hand coil fuse to the left hand coil fuse it was able to reset all the drops without the right coil being in use.

For now it is working and I am reluctant to keep on fiddling in case I stuff something else up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-jacks-open-drop-targets-not-re-setting-when-they-are-all-down and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.