View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
19790257-CAE5-4CD3-8D46-7812F5E6A434 (resized).jpeg
949901CA-B4FA-4FC5-AD5B-B5E1C34C3C21 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Hi all. I’m a complete newbie to EM repair so I’d appreciate help and guidance with a Hot Shot that I got for my personal collection. It was the only pin I played as a kid so it has sentimental value to me. I’m decent at SS repairs but I’m frustrated with this one!

I’ve done lots of reading and tried to self diagnose but I’m stuck. The game is set for free play. Lights up and did start a new game originally but now it doesn’t even begin a game. I’ve checked all tilt and cheat switches to make sure none are activated. My T relay and H relay are not on so no issue there. The tilt light is NOT on.

When I press the credit button or touch the S relay, the motor kicks in and the game tries to start but then quickly stops its progression after 2-3 seconds. There are credits on the credit reel (if that matters when set to free play?) When the game was starting up originally, it would kick out the ball but as soon as the trough switch was activated, the game would go into game over and the game over light would come on. So when I started a game without the ball in the trough and didn’t let the trough switch get activated, I could play a ball by hand on the playfield. Everything worked - all switches, scoring, lights and coils. As soon as the ball would drain in the outhole - game over.

The only cleaning I’ve done was after a game wouldn’t start anymore - I dropped the reset bank and used the tip of a Qtip with a dab of alcohol on it to gently clean the contacts on the relays. No pressure or bending anything out of position just a smooth wipe with the Qtip.

So, any suggestions where to go now? I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks! Ed

#2 1 year ago

Clean/adjust the switches on the game over relay. Also make sure the ball count unit and player up unit are resetting.

#3 1 year ago

If it won't start a game, how far is it getting in the startup sequence from the Hot Shot manual?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4 1 year ago

Ok I have made a little progress but I’m still stuck. I cleaned the switches again PinballDr on QB1 and QB2 (game over relays) and nothing different. Then I realized when I hit the credit button or actuate the S relay directly that the control bank does not reset. Not sure why but onward to try other things first.

So when I manually reset the relays on the control bank (which reset the game over relays) now the game will actually start and the game over light goes off. This brings me back to where I was when I first started working on this game. With a game now started I can manually knock down the drop targets, trip switches fire pop bumpers - everything works including the flippers. But once the outhole switch is tripped as if a ball drained, the game over relays actuate and game is over.
So if I reset the control bank again after game over, the game will play on. The scores that have accumulated on player 1 do not reset and the game goes on as if ball 1 is still in play.

So I seem to have 3 problems.
#1. The control bank doesn’t reset to allow the game over relays to disengage
#2. Once a game starts after manually resetting the control bank, game ends as soon as either the trough switch or outhole switch is activated
#3. The score reels do not reset after starting a new game (if I manually reset the control bank)

So in answer to your question @HowardR, the start up process makes it to step 5 and then step 6 fails (reset control bank)

I’ve also included a pic of the player unit in the backbox in case something looks incorrect there.

How do I proceed from here? It seems that I’m close. Ed

949901CA-B4FA-4FC5-AD5B-B5E1C34C3C21 (resized).jpeg949901CA-B4FA-4FC5-AD5B-B5E1C34C3C21 (resized).jpeg
#5 1 year ago

I also failed to mention that once a game is started, the trough switch will also trip the game over relays

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from ezed123:

the start up process makes it to step 5 and then step 6 fails (reset control bank)

If step 5 of the startup process doesn't just start but finishes completely, but step 6 doesn't
Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-shot-repair#post-6305153
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
Example of a pinsider actually doing this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-baron-tech-question#post-5858156

#7 1 year ago

Did you check the fuse for the control bank? When you manually start a game, is the ball in play on ball 1?

#8 1 year ago

PinballDr I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t check the fuse. I’ve been so focused on relays I forgot to re-check fuses. I did in the beginning (always check all fuses and coil ohm values before I begin) but didn’t re check fuse. And yes - the ball in play is always on ball 1. I’ve manually cycled through ball in play from the backbox and that does work.

HowardR you may be on to something. Step 5 does begin but doesn’t complete because the score do not reset.

I will check both of these when I get to my friends shop in the am. Thanks all I will report back Monday. Ed

#9 1 year ago

Quick question to both PinballDr and @howardR. Does the player unit look like it’s in “normal” and I. home position?
Based in the picture I posted. Just curious. Thanks

#10 1 year ago

Well the contacts look clean, that's about all I can tell. The switches on the other side need to be checked also. If the the ball count unit is on ball 1 and when you drain the ball it goes to game over, then you have a problem with a switch some place in that circuit. Sorry I don't have the schematics, but would check the game over relay circuit.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from ezed123:

Step 5 does begin but doesn’t complete because the score do not reset.

Do the Z1 and Z2 relays activate when this happens?

#12 1 year ago

PinballDr Im pretty sure the ball count unit is on player 1. HowardR the answer is NO. Neither Z1 or Z2 relays activate. Just to be sure, those relays are the ones I have circled in red on the attached pic - correct? If so, they do not activate.

19790257-CAE5-4CD3-8D46-7812F5E6A434 (resized).jpeg19790257-CAE5-4CD3-8D46-7812F5E6A434 (resized).jpeg
#13 1 year ago

So therefore, I’m actually only get through step 4 and not even into step 5? Just trying to reason this out

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from ezed123:

So therefore, I’m actually only get through step 4 and not even into step 5? Just trying to reason this out

What about the Reset Control relay (SB1) on the control bank? Is it getting activated?

#15 1 year ago

I just looked at some of the videos I took for my own reference @howardr. No the SB relay does not activate

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from ezed123:

the SB relay does not activate

OK, what about the Start relay (S)?

#17 1 year ago

I don't know if this will make any difference whatsoever with your problems but I did notice that the arm on the player unit appears to have shifted from it's original position.

#18 1 year ago

HowardR yes the S relay does activate

#19 1 year ago

scasten im not sure if the arm moved. It may be the camera angle. I’ll check that tomorrow

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

what about the Start relay (S)?

Quoted from ezed123:

yes the S relay does activate

If the Start relay (S) activates but the Reset Control relay (SB) and the Total Play Meter don't,

Example of a pinsider actually doing this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-baron-tech-question#post-5858156

#21 1 year ago

HowardR Ok I will try that Monday when I get to the shop where my machine is. Thank you - much appreciated!

#22 1 year ago

Ok here are my findings:
PinballDr all fuses are good.
HowardR I used a jumper wire from the red/white main power wire that runs through the game to the black wire on the SB reset control relay and that caused the coil to fire, reset the main reset bank arm and activate the Z1 and Z2 relays to reset the scoring reels. So, some progress! What I’m not sure about is, if I put a jumper wire on the Maroon/white wire on the SB switch where do I attach the other end? To the red/white main wire somewhere in the game? Like I said previously I’m totally new to EM. I’m trying to catch up but I’m stuck again. Thanks for your help

#23 1 year ago

Also on a 2nd level - once I had the game reset and ready to play, the outhole switch still ends the game. The outhole switch does activate the O relay (ball return) and the Q relay (ball return control) and it also resets the drop targets (U relay control bank reset) but it also activates the QB1 and QB2 relays for game over. When a new game starts, it does show player 1 ball 1

#24 1 year ago

New report. I found that one of the switches on the last gall relay (XB) was closed when it should have been open (I believe) so once I open that switch, now the game no longer ends after 1 ball when it hits the outhole. However, the player unit in the backbox does not cycle through to the next ball like it should. So when the ball drains on player 1 first ball, it does NOT add any bonus and it kicks back out to the shooter to play ball 1 all over again.

The player u it does cycle though manually when I stand at the backbox and manually push the plunger in on the coil - clicking though all 4 players and all 5 balls when I cycle it through by hand. However once I return the player unit to the home position (player 1 - ball 1) it won’t cycle through when a ball drains.

So I’m not sure if I am getting closer or farther from the desired outcome of playing a game?

The SB relay still doesn’t reset the reset bank at start up. I still need to jumper the black wire on the SB relay coil to get everything to reset for a new game.

#25 1 year ago

HowardR I just read one of your similar posts about the player unit not advancing. The P relay DOES activate when the ball goes over the trough switch so not sure why the player unit isn’t cycling

#26 1 year ago

During normal game play, if the Add Player Unit relay (P) activates when the ball goes over the trough switch, but the Add Player Unit solenoid doesn't activate,

#27 1 year ago

Ok I will do that thank you @howardr. Regarding the SB relay not activating when I push the credit button (but it does activate when I jumper a wire from red/white to black on that coil). What do I do next with that issue?

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from ezed123:

Regarding the SB relay not activating when I push the credit button (but it does activate when I jumper a wire from red/white to black on that coil). What do I do next with that issue?

Which of the 4 switches in the circuit I posted for that aren't working?

#29 1 year ago

I will check the circuit and switches,on Wednesday and report back. Thank you!

#30 1 year ago

SOLVED! The ZB relay was the culprit. There was a switch that was badly corroded which I lightly filed and also another switch on the ZB relay that was slightly open when it should have been closed. Then I also found a switch on the U relay that needed cleaning and that pretty much got it to start up. I have a few other issues to get straightened out but at least it starts up and plays. My trough switch “sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t”. Meaning it sometimes advances the ball in play and sometimes it stays on the same ball. I’ll look at cleaning and adjusting the P relay to see if that helps. I also need to figure out how to clean and /or adjust my thousands scoring reel on player 1 as it sometimes hangs up between the 8 and 9 digit.

I have a whole new respect and outlook for EM repairs now thanks to you @howardr. Thanks so much for your help, your patience and your guidance with schematic snippets. I could not have got this classic up and running without your help. Much appreciated!

#31 1 year ago

Your image in post no.4 looks like that wiper disc has moved. When I looked closely at it, the metal triangular disc looks to have left a mark on the bakelite disc. I would check that to make quite sure its correctly sitting on the contacts where it should.

#32 1 year ago

Thanks Vintage-Pinball I just adjusted the wiper disc and it is now sitting on the contacts better. This is a great group! I went from knowing very little about EM’s to at least figuring out how to work through a problem. Special thanks again to @howardr. Ed

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-hot-shot-wont-start-a-game?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.